z

Young Writers Society



Yin Yang

by Spark


Yin Yang

It was only twenty degrees outside, but I wasn’t cold. Was it even possible to be cold when someone is so angry? I knew going to my mother’s for Christmas was an awful idea. We fought over everything: even trivial things, but it all added up. She seemed to be trying to pick fights with me, constantly criticizing my disheveled appearance, my choice of profession: music teacher, and my lack of any serious relationships at age thirty one. This time she had gone too far, saying my life was going nowhere and I needed to “get it together”. Get it together? How dare she?

Our relationship didn’t use to be so bad when my had been father around. He kept the peace, diffusing tense situations with a joke or a smile. Our relationship had been very close and we rarely argued. My mother and he were intensely in love, his jokes the perfect counterpart to her seriousness. He was good natured enough to not be upset by my mother’s careless insensitive remarks, and both of them knew she didn’t really mean them. His only serious flaw had been his heavy smoking, which lead to his death from lung cancer earlier in this year. This tragic blow had shattered my mother’s life, and made our relationship just that much tenser. We continually squabbled because she refused to let out her emotions, so I kept my intense hurt and stinging doubt carefully hidden. Without him around I had no idea how I would be able to tolerate my mother.

I stomped down the dirt road leading form my mother’s house, my arms tightly crossed against my chest. We were complete opposites, my mother and I. She was a realist: grounded, logical, and always in control of the situation. She was always completely organized and on top of things. She kept a detailed calendar, had a daily schedule, and her life was full of lists of things to do. There was so much structure, rigidity, and lack of emotion there that was incomprehensible to me. I am an idealist: a visionary, unsure of myself, but passionate in everything I do. I am motivated by love over money; dreams over reality. I am expressive and blatantly honest, some might say blunt. I react to things strongly and purely. I am a mess, always losing things, forgetting appointments, and I can hardly keep track of myself. We are like vinegar and baking soda: prone to explosion.

I walked over to the black wooden fence that marked the edge of the property, and leaned against it, my forearms resting on the top post. I was in the middle of some unknown town in Massachusetts the day after a nor’easter. There was a total of a foot of snow on the ground, several inches lingering on the road even after the most recent plowing. An inch of snow dusted the limbs of the dark trees around me. I watched my breath create a cloud of steam in front of me, trying to absorb the peace. If only it were that easy to just take over feelings through osmosis; to forget everything going on around me. It would have seemed far more beautiful in a different situation, I supposed. The contrast was picturesque. There was only black and white: untouched snow, and the black of the trees and their limbs. It was just like my mother and I: black vs. white, total opposites in a constant struggle against one another, both determined not to blur together into gray.

I heard the crunch of snow underfoot coming from behind me and I glanced over my shoulder to see my mother walking towards me. Her long dark hair was tied neatly in a knot at the base of her neck, not a hair out of place, as usual. I resumed leaning against the fence, staring off into the distance, pretending I hadn’t seen her. We both knew I had. She stopped once she was next to me, and I felt her hand rest against my shoulder. I continued to look straight ahead.

“I’m sorry,” I heard her say. Silence stretched between us after those two words left her lips. I was afraid to speak for fear of snapping the tenuous thread of understanding that connected us at this moment.

“It’s okay,” I whispered eventually. No other words were needed. It was the contrast between black and white that gave the surrounding wintry scene its beauty, just like it was our distinct differences that made our relationship so special. Without the contrast of black and white, everything would be a single shade of gray.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
114 Reviews


Points: 9046
Reviews: 114

Donate
Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:09 pm
Razcoon wrote a review...



I really liked this peace, namely because I can really relate to the main character. My mother is my polar opposite too. Sadly, a simple "I'm sorry" doesn't help anything.

There ARE a few things I'd like to point out, though. First off, is your character male or female? I assumed it was a guy the entire time, but I saw someone refer to the character as "the daughter". So I read through again, and couldn't find anything to suggest either way. I also think you should split up your paragraph a little more.

After a while, in the story, it begins to drone. You continue on about how "this is contrasting, just like me and my mother, and so is this, like me and my mother", and it actually takes away from the story a little bit. When you're listing personality traits, I would actually build off of that and have a few short paragraphs for both the mother and the protagonist.

Spark wrote:Our relationship didn’t use to be so bad when my had been father around.

Apart from the obvious problem here, I would reword it to, "Our relationship hadn't been so bad when my father had been around."

Hope I helped!
>>Annie<<




User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 7

Donate
Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:03 am
Spark says...



Thanks, Mad! My problem is I generally lose patience with pieces longer than about 500 words or so. *eyes my two unfinished novels*




User avatar
227 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 227

Donate
Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:54 am
Mad says...



I had a look at Smoke and I agree with all the other people who posted there, it was a lovely, sad story.

I think you have a real talent for writing stories conveying real life emotions in a way that doesnt seem corny or overdone, but realistic.

I thought Smoke was good at the end how you say the clothes smelt like smoke was very poignant. I think I prefer Yin Yang over Smoke, though, mainly because Yin Yang is longer, so I had more to get involved in.




User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 7

Donate
Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:15 am
Spark says...



Thanks everyone! I always swap tenses... it's annoying, because I can never catch it! I'll fix those little errors, and try to iron out difference between her father and her that make the relationships with their mother so opposite too. I guess I hadn't thought of it that way

edited for mad (or anyone else really)
I recently posted another short story called Smoke, it should be in this forum somewhere. I'd appreciate any feedback as always :)

--Spark




User avatar


Points: 690
Reviews: 1

Donate
Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:59 pm
YoshimineKazuki wrote a review...



:o The descriptions really put me there. I write kind of like that, except I'm not very sharp with my choices of words, so I have to do a lot of editing. :?




User avatar
58 Reviews


Points: 1618
Reviews: 58

Donate
Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:42 pm
vixeyt says...



Wel done. That was a perfect illustration of that fact that things could very easily slip from being simple to complicated, fromk either white or black to grey. Well done.




User avatar
161 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 161

Donate
Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:44 pm
Cassandra wrote a review...



I really enjoyed this: you captured the moment really well, like a snapshot in time. My biggest suggestion, besides a few grammar mistakes below, is to make sure you're showing, not telling, especially in the first part of this piece. I know you're trying to sum up all that's happened, but could you perhaps give examples of the mother's seriousness or the father's easygoing nature?

Also, some food for thought: The mother and father were complete opposites but very in love, while the mother and daughter are opposites and can't stand each other. Why is this?

Was it even possible to be cold when someone is so angry?


"Is" should be "was", because you're writing this in past tense.

so bad when my had been father around.


When my father had been around.

We are like vinegar and baking soda: prone to explosion.


I love this simile!

black vs. white, total opposites in a constant struggle against one another, both determined not to blur together into gray.


I like this sentence a lot, especially the second half. Just make sure you write out "versus" rather than "vs.".


The metaphor in this was nicely done. Thanks for posting, and I hope I helped. :D




User avatar
227 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 227

Donate
Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:58 am
Mad wrote a review...



That was really, really wonderful. It was beautifully descriptive and the paring off of contrasting object towards the end was artfully done.

There were just one or two glitches in sentences that I noticed while reading through, but they were very minor and pretty much unnoticeable.

Really a fantastic piece of writing here, the desriptions were all very creative. I espeically like the baking soda and vinegar.

I'll be keeping a lookout for any of your other pieces and, if you could, please message me when you post another story.





"Cowards die many times before their deaths; but the valiant will never taste of death but once."
— Julius Caesar