Lyrthelion's Guard

by SoullessGinger

The days drag longer and longer. My life has become an endless cycle of swinging blades in the blazing sun, training for a future I find no joy in the thought of. Having the skill and wielding my father’s blades is an honor. The whistling of the pure metal through the air excites the blood of my ancestors, but it pales in comparison to the sweet sounds of a clear voice.

With each slice, I dream of a slide from one low note to a high one. With each clashing block, the reverberating power of opposing harmonies, beautiful in their contradictory unity. And at the climax of the fight, my opponent dripping with sweat and wreathed in fiery frustration, I dream passionately of a belting vibrato shaking my throat and awaking the ghosts of ancient bards, a masterpiece of sound, a sculpture of liquid light destined to die of silence, but precious in that moment.

I return home, to more practice, my father’s rough shouting falling on the deaf ears of one who wishes to be far away. The fighting comes easy with no passion, contrasting so harshly with the desperate struggle of emotion that a single lyric can rip from me.

Finally, when the grating has stopped and I am left alone to choose my path, I turn to Lyrthelion’s shrine. It stands humbly in the grove just outside of town, a rarely trodden path leading to my sanctuary. The first moment you step foot in it, you can already feel that something holy resides here. 

The only man made thing that can describe the true awe one feels upon entering this place is the cathedral at Mel'Dor, but not even that masterpiece comes close to this. Arching trees line the pathway, reaching for one another like the lovers Alarik and Maren. Soft light streams through the wide leaves, creating living stained glass windows and dappled corridors. Wind rustles them like murmuring priests, watching over the singer’s respite. Tiny flowers of every color imaginable and delicate blades of grass cover the ground, creating a joyous carpet for the storytellers and history keepers to rest upon.

Traveling artists leave gifts for our musical deity here, like relics of some ancient beloved saint. A poem of devotion, a ballad of some hero’s exploits lovingly written, petals of the Lion Rose scattered about like a painting. Sometimes bards and skalds sleep in this grove, serenading the odd patron with hymns of Lyrthelion’s greatness. And always, the centerpiece of this place of worship, the altar. Deep purple candles glow gently here, casting a holy light on all who enter. I smile at the simple cherrywood altar, the only extravagant piece for our deity. A marble bowl flecked with gold sits in the center, filled with a glistening translucent liquid, swirling golden in its palace. I guard it. This altar is my duty, my great passion. All my joy and energy are protected in this space, a welcome safety from the harshness of my everyday life. Here I find a purpose for my grueling training, a beauty in my violent skills. I protect it all, and I love it dearly. My only wish is to one day find a master, a fellow follower of Lyrthelion, to teach me how to sing like a bard. 

Fishr wrote a review...

I have no idea what is going on. Was I read reading about an assassin in training? A female hitman? Or a crazed psychopath?

Then the story jumps to a house and then a Lyrthelion’s shrine? What is a Lyrthelion’s shrine? For that matter, why is a father so rigorous with training, what ever training it is supposed to be used for?

There was so much jumping around and inconsistently, it was very hard to follow.

Sat May 22, 2021 8:34 am

Hi SoullessGinger,

Let's start with the first section right away:

Wow. I had to read it twice because I found there were so many things rushing at the reader at once that I lost my grip. But it's a really great beginning. If one sits down there again and reads it carefully, one clearly notices the interesting word choices and things you want to present to the reader. I especially like how you swing from one sentence to another, presenting something new. It sounds poetic and philosophical. I imagine a samurai training and reciting this to himself like a mantra. :D

With each clashing block, the reverberating power of opposing harmonies, beautiful in their contradictory unity.

I think that's my favourite line from the first section. There's something sparkly about it that sounds like a verse or a preface that I would hear from the mouth of a master. The parts of the sentence seem a little choppy, as if you've been helped along with a sword, and yet I think that brings this beauty.

You have an excellent (though sometimes I had a little trouble reading) writing style. I like how it sounds fresh and philosophical, with a touch of narrative. It reminds me a bit of the Nibelungenlied, an epic poem set in the German Middle Ages. It has awakened in me this feeling of having something classic and yet new in front of me.

I like how the plot develops and you are gradually shown the contours of who the narrator is and what his real path is, which is not the same as that of his father. I also like that you go into good detail in some of the descriptions, creating a sense of atmosphere that the reader then gets.

If you enter from the west side, the grove becomes a cathedral.

This is the only sentence I can't get too familiar with. Maybe because it sounds too "normal" compared to your very wise choice of words and structure. :D What does the grove look like when you enter it from the east side?

I think you create a very good introduction to your story with this first chapter. You keep some things veiled to make the reader curious about the next chapter. I like the fact that apart from the narrator's dream (and a little bit of everyday life) you haven't found out more about him. What I also like is that there was no direct speech in the whole chapter. I always find that this is also a good introduction to a new story because you learn more about the character indirectly. You did a good job of that in this case, following the motto "less is more." He doesn't seem like a blank page or a book, but more like an ordinary character with extraordinary charisma.

You've presented a really eloquent first chapter that certainly can't be imitated so easily.

Have a great time writing it!

Mailice.

Fri May 14, 2021 5:35 am

First Impression: Well this seems like a pretty decent little chapter one here. Definitely seems like it would make for a fun story based on what I've seen so far. Anyways, a bit more detail down below.

The days drag longer and longer. My life has become an endless cycle of swinging blades in the blazing sun, training for a future I find no joy in the thought of. Having the skill and wielding my father’s blades is an honor, and the whistling of the pure metal through the air excites the blood of my ancestors surging through these veins, but it pales in comparison to the sweet sounds of a clear voice. With each slice, I dream of a slide from one low note to a high one. With each clashing block, the reverberating power of opposing harmonies, beautiful in their contradictory unity. And at the climax of the fight, my opponent dripping with sweat and wreathed in fiery frustration, I dream passionately of a belting vibrato shaking my throat and awaking the ghosts of ancient bards, a masterpiece of sound, a sculpture of liquid light destined to die of silence, but precious in that moment.

Okay...wow that's quite a lot there in the very first paragraph. Definitely sensing some nice backstory here as we talk about this person training, probably doing something he doesn't quite want to do, and then also all the mentions of ancestors and ancient bards. Definitely a very interesting note there to start a story on. Loving it so far.

Okay....we're definitely getting a good sense of our character here, he clearly seems to want to be some sort of musician, or I suppose a bard maybe but he is continuing to learn to fight because he doesn't want to disobey his father I suppose.

Finally, when the grating has stopped and I am left alone to choose my path, I turn to Lyrthelion’s shrine. It stands humbly in the grove just outside of town, a rarely trodden path leading to my sanctuary. If you enter from the west side, the grove becomes a cathedral. Arching trees line the pathway, reaching for one another like the lovers Alarik and Maren. Soft light streams through the wide leaves, creating living stained glass windows and dappled corridors. Wind rustles them like murmuring priests, watching over the singer’s respite. Tiny flowers of every color imaginable and delicate blades of grass cover the ground, creating a joyous carpet for the storytellers and history keepers to rest upon.

Okay...pretty cool sounding shrine there for sure, not sure how the west side being specified there is important but I suppose we shall see soon enough. The description of the cathedral looks really good so far.

Ahh there we have it...well that is a beautiful ending I would say...showing what he truly cares about there and ending with his one wish...definitely a good way to end a first chapter.

Overall: Overall, this was a fun little chapter here, and I think it does a good enough job as a first chapter here. Well...at any rate, that's all I've gotta say for now.

No matter what happens I'll always know there's a quote of mine in the YWS quote generator.
— looseleaf