Violet Saga: Year One Chapter 4: Edited Complete

by Soulkana

Chapter Four: The Dreams

Meanwhile upstairs Alexis tossed in her sleep. Her fingers shoved the blanket to the side as she dreamed of shapes of various colors. Each one seemed important, and she found herself recognizing them as her emotions.

She floated in the center of a white background. It was like she was a painting on a canvas. The first color that painted itself on the canvas was green. It moved and shifted like fog, avoiding her grasp when she tried catching it. She pondered what emotion it was when suddenly she felt worry. Worry about her future and of failing her parents. She stared at it for a minute and whispered, "Green means worry." Suddenly, a flash of red streaked through the white canvas. She felt a flare of rage at the man who killed her parents. The red was like a snake, feeding off her fear. She was better than this! The man was already gone. Besides, there was no way her deceased parents could be revived. She glared at the red, forcing it away. She watched as it shrank as her rage become nothing more than a small flame.

She watched, waiting for the next color. It came so fast she didn't see where it had started from. It moved like smoke, smothering everything else. It wrapped around her, as if saying it wasn't afraid to consume her. She then understood her Daddy's words of wisdom. This was her thirst for knowledge and if she wasn't careful it would consume everything. She vowed that she would follow her Daddy's advice. With that determined thought another color made its way in. It was a bright yellow just like the flowers on the first day of Spring. The ones her mother had decorated the backyard with. She touched them as they painted themselves along the painting. One even painted itself over her heart. She grinned, touching them, savoring the joyous warmth that spread through her like flames.

'What a pleasant dream." She said, not knowing she had spoken it aloud. The habit was still there even if she didn't know it.

She curled her fingers around the orange branches that twisted around her. It spread around her, curling around her waist. It wrapped itself around every color; binding them together and growing stronger with kindness. She pulled the branches closer, seeking their comforting aura.

‘Is like a tree,” She pondered, “The more kindness you give the stronger the branches become. The less kindness, the weaker it becomes.’

Tears filled her eyes as gray drops began to fall. It was like rain, falling and consuming everything. She felt hollow as the gray started darkening everything. Just before it began to seep up to her waist, when white sparks began to fight it back. The white clouds were sparse and far in between. With a small smile of relief, she touched one of the clouds. Her fingers passed through it and came out white. Eyes wide, she couldn't help but laugh.

She tossed in her sleep. She didn’t know that Rosa was cooking supper downstairs. Her fingers curled around the pillow. She had tossed the covers to the floor, feeling extremely warm. The cold air blowing in from the window made her shiver. She drifted back into her peaceful slumber, enjoying the picture of her dreams.

Downstairs, Rosa placed the soup in a container to save for later. She placed it in the fridge and sat down at the table. With a soft sigh, she waited patiently for the dishwasher to complete. Her hands clutched at her coffee mug, soaking up the scalding heat coming from it. Eyes flickered to the clock, seeing that only a few hours had passed since Alexis had fallen asleep.

‘Maybe she would like it if I adopt her..’ She thought, ‘She needs a guardian for when she goes into a magical school.’

She sighed, worried about how the child would react. ‘Would she hate it? I wish I knew where Silas was. He is so much better at this stuff.’ She thought, resentfully. ‘Oh how I wish I had forgiven him that time so long ago.’

Pushing all her resentment and guilt away she got up. She was determined to check on the younger children and to wake Alexis for lunch. Creaking the door open a crack to the smaller children’s room, she could see their peaceful faces. She smiled, joy in her heart, knowing that they felt safe here compared to when they arrived. Walking inside, she gently felt their foreheads checking for fevers.

Tucking a few of the blankets in, she snuck out. Closing the door softly she headed to Alexis’s room. She opened the door, letting out a soft laugh at the piles of old books that still laid scattered amongst the floor. The old bookshelves were crammed with old, leather bound books of all ages. She glanced to see Alexis asleep, covers strewn across the side of the bed. Parts were laying on the floor, her arms curled underneath the pillow. Her small legs curled up as she laid comfortable on her side.

As she shook her shoulder she said, “Wake up, Alexis. It’s lunch time.”

Hearing Alexis groan at that, she grinned. “Come on. I’m sure you’re hungry.” She teased, poking the child’s shoulder softly.

“Nooo I don’t want to take medicine.” Alexis protested as she moved to face her. She understood that she needed to eat, which meant taking the medicine as well. Making a disgruntled face at the thought she grudging sat up.

Soft and graceful sound of footsteps were the only sign that the child was following her. Busying herself with pouring soup into two bowls she watched as Alexis pulled out the silverware and glasses. The quiet and almost agile movements allowed her to see just how much she was like Linda. Rosa chuckled before setting the soup on the table. The two sat down and began to eat in contented silence.

Soft sounds of soup falling from a spoon alerted Rosa that something was amiss. Lifting her head to see what was wrong she was overwhelmed by the thickness of the air. It felt like it had been turned to fog. Thin strands of the child’s hair seemed to hover and she knew then something was happening.

“Alexis?” She whispered, yet the sound seemed to echo as Alexis glanced up.

“Yes, ma’am?” Came the quiet response. She was moving the spoon within the soup, not bothering to taste it. The spoon clinked against the glass and the air returned to its normal appearance. With a sigh, Alexis relinquished the control of the spoon allowing it slid back into the soup with a soft splosh.

Silence rang through the room as finally the hand picked the spoon up once more and continued eating. Rosa frowned. ‘What just happened? It was as if something of deep sleep had stirred. I wonder...could it be her?’

A quiet ma’am? broke the silence and Rosa answered, “Yes?”

“Can you tell me about my parents?” Alexis questioned with eyes looking up at her in a pleading manner.

Rosa shifted her position before finally standing up and signaled she would be right back. As she headed up the stairs she heard the soft scuffling of a chair being moved. Not pausing to wonder what the child was doing she continued on her path to Alexis’s room in pursuit of the photo album.

Moving downstairs with the object of her search in her hands she was a bit lost as to where Alexis had vanished off to. The chair had been pushed in and the empty bowl of soup now laid in the sink. As she began towards the living room she heard Alexis mutter, “I wonder what that dream was about.”

The first though to run through Rosa’s head was, ‘Did something happen?’, but the child had not sounded terrified. No quite the opposite actually. She sounded almost happy? Or maybe just confused? Pushing the concerns away she poked her in the doorway calling out. “Alexis I found the picture.”

Alexis turned from her spot in the far corner. She gazed at Rosa, almost questioningly before rushing over to join Rosa on the couch. As the woman moved to sit down Alexis blurted out excitedly, “Do you really think they’ll let me skip a grade?”

Rosa hoisted the child up and into her lap remarking, “I’m sure they will. You’re a smart girl. Now how about I tell you about your father?”

Alexis grinned as she eagerly opened the photo album. The blue leather felt cool against her hands as she allowed Rosa to flip through several pages before stopping. She glanced curiously at it and let out a small laugh.

Alexis looked at the picture and let out a shriek of laughter. Her father was sitting on an old window seal. In his hand rested an apple. He was smiling at the camera completely oblivious to the other man behind him. The other man held a fist-full of what looked like grape jelly.

“Your father was close friends with that man, Silas. You would find those two together all the time if the teachers weren’t keeping them separate.” Rose fondly reminisced as Alexis asked curiously, “What was he like?”

Rosa smile down at her friends’ daughter and began to tell her. “Well first of all he was a writer at heart. He would often spin fantastic tales for the younger kids at school. He loved you and your mother even more than writing. He settled for getting a job in which he would be able to support you guys when he found Linda was pregnant.”

“So Daddy wanted us to be safe?” Alexis asked with a hesitant glance at the picture.

“Yes he did. He would do anything for you, Alexis.” Rosa muttered kindly as she turned the page.

Laughter crossed her face as she as she commented, “Your mother must have been very sneaky to get this picture.”

Alexis blinked at the picture unable to picture that this was her father. He looked like he was furious and the picture was of him in mid shout.

“What happened?” She spoke as she curiously touched the picture. She turned her head to glance up at Rosa.

Rosa chuckled down at the child. “He hated it when someone wrote a story and had a character just say “Oh.” Drove him nuts as it is. That was one of the times he went on a rant about it. He’d be ranting,”We can speak for a reason! The word Oh is the lowest form of vocabulary you could possibly use in a story besides ain’t. Your mother had gotten a good shot with this picture.”

Alexis nodded in agreement before resting her head against Rosa’s arm. As Rosa spoke she felt herself drifting asleep. Smiling at the last comment Alexis finally slipped into sleep.

The sound of rushing water awakened Alexis. Shifting awake in what she thought was the living room she noticed that she wasn’t really awake. Looking around her with confusion she noticed a statue in the center of what looked like a courtyard.

Scrutinizing it thoroughly she realized it was an angel. A stone moon lay in her open. With curiosity now unbound she rushed to the statue in exploration. The thump of her feet echoed through the desolate courtyard. The feel of rough concrete scraping her hands pulled her out of the contemplative pose she had adopted. Her eyes scanned the statue taking in every details as the moon began to shine dully.

She backed away from it in suspicion. Still watching it attentively she saw the statue turn from stone to a transparent skin color. The gray eyes turned to a faint purple as the hair turned to a faded red.

‘Mom?’ Came the hopeful whisper from the small girl. Small fingers reached out to touch the older woman only to be stopped by the other’s firm grip.

Cautiously the elder scanned the area. The gaze turned its focus to the child staring at her in hurt and fear. The expression on the woman’s face relaxed into a warm smile. “I’m sorry, Alexis. I didn’t know it was just you here.”

“Why would there be anyone else?” Alexis questioned with panic entering her eyes. Turning her head side to side she looked around in search of an intruder.

“Relax, sweetie. No one else is here. I was making sure. I’m sorry if I frightened you.” Linda soothed as she ran her hand through her child’s black curls.

Stopping her unnecessary search Alexis moved so she was resting her head against her shoulder. Smiling up at her mother she asked, “Why am I here? How are you able to be here? Weren’t you a statue, mommy?”

Linda chuckled and ruffled her daughter’s hair teasing, “Still seeking knowledge I see.”

Folding her legs Linda pulled Alexis into her lap as she said, confidently, “Yes I am.”

Laughing at that, Linda’s expression grew serious. “Alexis it is time for us to reveal your powers.”

“Ok. Will it hurt?” She asked fearfully.

“No, it won’t. All I need you to do is close your eyes, child.”

Alexis unquestioningly obeyed her mother. With eyes tightly closed she waited for what was to happen. Shuddering she felt some crawl beneath her skin. It started from her forehead to her stomach. Conflicted between obeying her mother and the desire to escape the cold seeping into her skin she let out a desperate plea for help.

“Just a little longer, sweetie. I’m trying to fix the holes.” Linda whispered as she gently touched the child’s ankles. Alexis felt the ice seep down into her bones and take over everything.

Alexis snapped her eyes open just seconds before her mother had been about to give her the command. The cold began to recede but lingered at her forehead. She frowned and moved to rub the spot it was coming from when her mother took hold of her hand.

“No, Alexis. Leave it alone.” Her mother spoke sternly before letting go of her child’s hand.

“What did you do, mommy?” Alexis asked, unable to hide her curiosity.

Linda chuckled in amusement before replying, “I placed a block on your mind. Its to keep others out of your mind until you can learn to protect yourself. Now it’s time I explained about Lykras.”

Alexis nodded with enthusiasm as she leaned back into her mother’s arms. Hearing her mother’s sigh she muttered, “Is there something wrong?”

“No, I’m just trying to figure out how to explain this. I guess this would be good enough,” Linda muttered slightly to herself before continuing with her explanation,”Lykras are the oldest of what is known as the Ashanga. We protect the secrets found in the soul fragments of the one people call Lady Magic. In time she will come to you. She is always watching over the many worlds. The powers you have been gifted have come from her.”

Alexis was silent. Sitting like a stone she made no movement. She did not give any recognition that she had registered what her mother had told. Fingers curled slowly around her sleeve as she whispered, “The crystal in the house...”

Linda frowned, “What crystal, Alexis?”

“The one in my room.” Alexis answered, not really understanding why this was such a big problem. It was just a crystal, albeit a pretty one.

Linda raised an eyebrow at her child before speaking sternly, “Hide that crystal in your journal, Alexis. It must be returned to her when the time is right.”

Alexis nodded quickly as her mother smiled reassuringly down at her.before continuing, “That may not be for awhile, sweetie. So we should worry more about what powers you will have.”

Alexis paused in midst of opening her mouth. The question faded from her lips as she nodded while wondering what would happen.

“Well the easiest way would be to say Såÿey Aíys. It allows all powers known to us to appear as figures. The ones you don’t have will vanish while the ones you will obtain will become larger. The words themselves mean “Reveal the Sight.” Linda said as Alexis closed her eyes.

Eyes tightly closed Alexis whispered the words over repeatedly while focusing on their meaning. Meanings held importance she knew and without it the effect would not happen. Gold ribbons seared through her like waves of water and engulfed her in a sea of knowledge. Several threads snagged themselves onto her, tying her down tightly to the crystal they were forming.

‘I should be afraid, right?’ The uncertain thought crossed her mind, but this didn’t feel like a threat. No, it was more like a warm blanket curled around her. A tightly bound blanket but yet no real threat. With a deep breath she focused on the words again and the ribbons flared to different colors.

She opened her eyes and saw a ribbon in pure black. In silver a word began to spell out. Dimly she could the shouts of her mother to come back out, but she wanted to know what it spelled. She watched, fascinated, as it began to form letters. A-N-U--

“Alexis!!!” Linda shouted as her daughter gazed up at her with anger. The fury in her eyes stopped the mother from lecturing her and to give her a disapproving glance.

“Sorry.” Alexis mumbled, not really feeling at that sorry. She wanted to know what it spelled!!!!

“Lose the attitude, Alexis Elizabeth.” Linda rebuked sharply as she waved her hand towards the eight statues in front of them. “You have eight powers: Necromancy, Healing, Ice, Shadow, Art, Languages, Writing, and Math. The last four may seem insignificant to a five year old right now but later on they will be key to your knowledge in the arts of your family. You must practice and keep up your progress. You can’t hope to achieve your goals if you do use the powers you have been given in the right way. You can’t expect yourself to be good at anything without putting in the effort. “

“So I need to practice to keep them and I will find the subjects easier but not easy enough to pass without trying a little right?” Alexis asked while gazing down at the statues in curiosity.

“Exactly, my Alexis. Now the sun is beginning to draw out the moon. So I must return to the other side. I will see you again, my flower. Please be careful and I love you.” Linda whispered as she hugged Alexis tightly before moving to resume her position over the lake sitting in the center of the courtyard.

The moon turned to a sun in her mother’s hand as the scenery faded to black. With a last whispered, “Be strong, my child.” Linda became stone once more as she faded away.

Alexis glanced around to see sun shining in her window. A new day had just begun. A smile plastered on her face Alexis bounded out of bed in eagerness to start the new day.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:32 am
Soulkana says...

I'll give you the docuement tomorrow morning when I have time so we can do it when I get home...hopefully I get far, we gonna give a time skip XD

Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:23 am
Qoh16 says...

It's okay honey.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:22 am
Soulkana says...

Okie sisie I look forward to seeing it ^^ I hope you guys don't mind me when I say I'm working on fixing it, since I saw many mistakes XD well good luck sisie with urs and hugs*

Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:19 am
Qoh16 says...

LOVE IT SISSY!!! I'll help you with the next chapter tomorrow after school. <3

If I seem to wander, if I seem to stray, remember that true stories seldom take the straightest way.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind