A quest for the heir of the phoenix ~ chapter one - part a

by Sorsha2

As per the suggestion of my very first reviewer :) I have posted the next part of the story in a small portion.

In this scene we are introduced to the main character/ protagonist of the story: Lylle (Lilly) of Valedon.

Again, any criticism would be exceptionally appreciated.

cheers! :D

Chapter one

Month of Napris, 7th day, year 937 of the New Moons

The only sound that filled the quiet chamber, aside from the contented snores of a young woman, was the screaming wind that pushed forcefully against the bolted wooden shutters. In an attempt to snuggle closer to her slender form a thick brawny arm wrapped around her waist which she was quick to shrug off while still pretending to be peacefully asleep.

With a groan she rolled onto her other side to keep further away from anymore seeking arms. Voices filled the hall just outside the thick wooden door, one of which she recognized to be her older brother Sanson who soon after came bursting into the now very messy winter storage chamber.

“Thy, you’re needed up on post—.” Sanson ceased his words when he looked around him at the disarray. Bolts of linen, tanned leather and other cloth were tossed around the room like streamers and what was left of the shelves hung precariously on one bolt. In the center of the floor was a pile of winter war cloaks fashioned of wool and fur for warmth and intertwined in them were two sleepy figures. One of them was the soldier Thy of Langool and the other was his youngest sister Lylle of Valedon.

“God’s blood.” Sanson swore viciously under his breath while swiping a hand through his course coppery red locks in a gesture that was reminiscent of their father’s.

Sweeping across the room, he snatched Thy up to his feet and thrust the protesting man naked out into the hall. Slamming the door in his face he turned around to see his sister gazing reproachfully up at him through heavily lidded piercing blue eyes and then tossed him one of the cloaks with surprising strength.

Rolling his eyes heavenwards, Sanson listened to the insistent banging on the other side of the door followed by the pleading curses of the still nude warrior for a few minutes longer before he opened the wooden doors and tossed the cloak purposely into his face to stun and silence him long enough for Sanson to slam and bolt the door shut once more.

When Sanson looked down at Lylle, she seemed utterly calm and not the least bit ashamed or embarrassed at having been caught alone, obviously enjoying the after effects of just having amazingly intense, powerful sex. Not that she should feel the slightest bit embarrassed he thought vehemently, this was the third time this week he had walked in on her and Thy, and the fourth guy that he had discovered that his younger sister had been sleeping with in less then two years.

“By Garkail’s cock Lylle!” Sanson bellowed after he had paced a few steps, his frustration temporarily overwhelming his ability to speak. “Do you feel no shame?” Lylle yawned and shrugged one bare shoulder prettily as she pretended to examine her nails with mild enthusiasm.

She was a beautiful girl with a glorious head of spun gold blond hair and smooth creamy skin which was so much like their mother’s. In fact there were many who thought that Lylle, out of the three of them, pulled more from their mother, inheriting her legendary and careless beauty. She was a small woman in stature but Sanson knew better then to allow her tiny frame to deceive the truth strength he knew that Lylle was capable of. She was a spitfire beauty with the temper of a sleeping dragon, quick to snap and lash out with little provocation.

“It’s just sex.” She said at last, her boredom evident in her casual and sleepy tone. Then she shifted her blue eyes from her nails as their color started to swirl to startling green, a sign that she was no longer drowsy and content but alert and amused. “You do have sex don’t you?” For a moment Sanson felt his mouth snap indignantly shut as he knew that Lylle was perfectly well aware of the fact that Sanson had not taken a woman to his bed at all in the last two years where she had been content to bounce through four different men in rapid succession.

“I don’t hear anyone complain to Valdez when he brings a new woman into his bed at the end of every week.” Lylle pointed out with a careless roll of her shoulder but he could see that she was keeping him indirectly in her line of sight to see what his reaction would be at hearing about the actions of their older brother. “Sometimes he has two at a time. Surely he deserves your lectures far more then I do.”

Sanson gripped his hair with both hands in exasperation, his face turning different shades of pinks and reds.

“It’s not the same!” Sanson snapped hotly, releasing his hair he brought the back of his hand down hard on his palm for emphasis. “You’re a woman!”

The light sparkling green changed from jade to emerald within seconds, an involuntary display that she was now bordering on her usual hotheaded temper, it was a color that Sanson was used to seeing.

She rose to her feet standing a good head below him, careful to keep her small, lithe figure covered with one thick draping fur cloak as she met his frustrated glare with heated defiance.

“I fight as good if not better then any man-- thus if I so choose, I will fuck like one as well -- when, where and how I wish.”

“With a mouth like that,” Sanson bellowed, taking a step closer so that they were distanced by no more then a hand, “you’re well on you’re way to becoming one!”

The tension snapped around them like lightening and the air sizzled as hotly as did their blood. However Lylle did not waver for a second, as she had not wavered the other half dozen times that they had had very similar confrontations. Sanson released a heavy sigh and shook his head in defeat.

While she had inherited their mother’s undeniable good looks, she had also inherited their father’s reputed temperament and steadfast defiance. He knew it was better to drop the lecture now or risk having her sleep with an entire battalion just to spite him. Biting down on his lower lip, his eyes searched her face which was deeply etched with resilience.

“Father wants to see you in the head chamber—there has been a summons from the Council that we just received this morning. So hurry up and get dressed, we are to be assembled within the hour.”

MidnightGladius wrote a review...

Alrighty. First, let me just say - much, much better. A lot of the things I mentioned in the prologue don't apply at all here: the grammar seemed good, the usage/phrasing was nice, No conflicts in the speech, too. All in all, wonderful. I'm guessing a lot of this would make more sense with context from the first book, but you give enough information to keep us alive regardless. Much appreciation for that.

The only thing I'd say warranted a change is: "The tension snapped around them," since when tension snaps, it ends and the scenario becomes much more relaxed - think of a tensile cord or a rubber band. The point still gets made (with the 'air sizzling"), but it was a bit disconcerting at first.

Again, good work. Waiting for the next eagerly. :)

Pingu wrote a review...

Well, I officially love the character Lylle. Seems to me like a very virile and self sufficient gal. Maybe angry? Her persuasion of Sanson was quite amusing, I'd love to read the rest. I havent read many of the stories on this site yet, as I couldn't find them! (lol)
Though I am impressed. I love it when fantasy and eroticism mix together.

Thumbs up

/m\ /m\

Sorsha2 says...

Thanks again for your review. I am glad that you're enjoying the story.

I will take your comments and revision into account when I edit the segement.

:)

Sorsha2 says...

:)

Hey there

I actually enjoyed this part more than the first, there's something about the way it's written that leads me to assume you've put more time and effort into this one than the previous.

It's really good, I like the way the characters are developped, and especially the way you've made Lylle such a mix of traits and behaviours. She seems interesting.

Also, I see less of the run-on sentences I complained about in my first review :wink: so that's good! Well done, and PM me when you post the next part.

(Sounds like you're going to be busy PM'ing a bunch of people whenever you put work up, hee hee :wink: )

For more, check the attachment!

Happy editing,

*Huggles*

XxxDo

Sorsha2 says...

:) thanks a bunch.

I was debating if I should use a 'slang' type word for f@ck, but I wasn't sure if anyone would understand what the character was getting at. Also, I thought the shock value associated with its usage would be important as well.

I wanted Lylle's character to be seen as rough around the edges, a bit crude in her mannerisms, bold, perhaps a tad bit arrogant but still vulnerable (which will develop further down the road in the story).

Also, I am curious - when you mentioned that you didn't like how it started, was it the flow of the piece/ writing? Or is it just the circumstances as to how the lead character was introduced?

I will be sure to PM when the next installment is posted.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the comment.

Poltergiest wrote a review...

Wow, that was really good. The descriptions of the characters were extremely well done, about thier physical appearance and thier personalities. I've heard of someone turning different shades of red but I misunderstood the green parts with Lilly.

I would also reconsider Sanson's name, it sounded to much like Samson to me, which is a far more recent name. Also, you used the waord, ahem, f***, and I thought that word wasn't excactly around back then, but then again it 'tis your world, and I suppose there might have been, 'God's blood!' back then so...

Overall, I enjoyed the beautiful writing but not excactly how the story began. I'd like to read more to see if turns out even better. Please PM me when you post the next bit.

-Pol

Poetry comes alive to me through recitation.
— Natalie Merchant