Lexie Story

by Sophia_x

hey all

this is a section quite a bit through my book but im unsure on it so please tell me what you think. Lots of comments are welcome.

Thank you :D

Blackness. Never ending blackness.

It consumed my thoughts, my everything as it clouded all I knew. I didn’t know if my eyes were open or shut or even if I had a body at all. I just knew that I was cold. So cold. And my soul was drifting.

Black.

So this was what being dead was really like. I felt no pain; I couldn’t feel any part of me. Where was the light at the end of the tunnel? Where were the angels calling my name? Maybe witches didn’t get to go to heaven.

As I drifted, in a world I would be forever bound to, I felt the urge to cry even though I knew I couldn’t.

I wanted to weep so much – for mum, for Alistair, for Nina and Nicholas, for the other people who had arrived at this same fate but especially for one person. Me. God that sounds selfish. But it was true. I wanted to weep for all the things I would never be able to do, the people I would never see, the life I would never live. I was dead. Forever.

My life had ended with a bang – in the literal and metaphoric sense. What had Nicholas said about me?

‘I was made for so much more.’

Maybe dying is a beautiful thing. If I was meant to die to save people then they better have been save or so help me-

Burning.

My thoughts shattered like glass, broken as quickly as they had been formed.

Pain. Terrible, horrible pain.

The blackness that consumed me pushed harder but already I saw the edges fading.

Pain.

I heard a screaming sound. How could I feel like I was dying when I was already dead?

Pain.

Make it stop! Please someone make it stop!

And then I felt something. The numbness I was so sure of started to cease as the pain grew. It made me realise something. I had a body. I felt my skin go alight although I was certain it wasn’t.

My legs I was so glad to feel started to thrash, my arms flailing as something cold held them down. Or someone.

“Lexie!”

I recognized the name. It was mine! Lexie. I tried to tell them I could hear them but some screaming from somewhere stopped it.

“Lexie, oh Lexie. Please!” Alistair. My Alistair.

“Come on Lexie, come on!” Nicholas. My Nicholas.

The pain that had been so unbearable started to calm.

Light.

I gasped as my eyes flashed open, my back arching. My body was not convulsing as much as it had been. I started coughing, my body aching to rest.

Two heads floated above me – Alistair and Nicholas. Alistair’s eyes were dry with the tears he couldn’t shed. Nicholas didn’t even try to hide the tracks that stained his cheeks.

“Hey.” The word was barely audible as it left my chapped lips.

“Lexie.” Alistair’s beautiful face secretly told me of the pain he had been feeling, and I smiled.

Nina’s face appeared, “Lexie.” Her wise face betrayed only a hint of sadness as she did her best to hide the rest.

I coughed again, my chest hurting as I did so and Nina frowned, “Someone pick her up; she needs to go home.”

Obediently Alistair scooped me up, his hard arms welcoming as I was cradled against his chest, my body weak.

“Is it over?” I asked.

It was then that I realised Tia and Samuel were there as Samuel’s face was for once rid of his sarcastic anger as his eyes were stripped to show the pain he was really feeling. I knew I wasn’t the only war casualty. The others had seen things no one should ever see.

“It’s over,” Samuel replied, now in human form. “You killed half of them when you kinda exploded and then suddenly they all ran away.”

I looked at their faces, the cuts and bruises and bloodstains that was evident on all of them but Alistair. At least they were alive.

I heard the cracking sound of branches as Alistair carried me home through the woods, my head nested tiredly against his body.

“Who did this to you, Lexie?” No one could miss the anger in Alistair’s voice.

I tried to form an answer, my eyes involuntarily closing whenever I tried to look up at his beautiful face.

I felt Nicholas’s presence as we traipsed through the woods. I knew they were purposely avoiding the clearing, so we wouldn’t have to see the destruction they had left behind.

“Tell us so we can go find him and-”

Nina cut her grandson off, “ How could a Death witch convince everyone they his was their leader?”

“It wasn’t a Death witch,” I murmured, not sure is anyone had heard.

“What was that, Lex?” Alistair’s soft voice woke me again.

I coughed, trying to project my voice as Alistair’s strong arms kept me peacefully still, “I said that he wasn’t a death witch.”

I saw the light change as the moonlight reached us and I could see we were out of the woods.

“What do you mean?”

I attempted an answer but a huge wave of fatigue washed over me, stopping all speech.

“Lexie?”

I made a small sound but I was already falling, my eyes shut.

“Let her rest,” Nina’s voice sounded a long distance away and my mumble of agreement didn’t so much as leave my mouth.

I did need my rest.

I had just died after all.

Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:35 am
superasian wrote a review...

It consumed my thoughts, my everything as it clouded all I knew.

This sentence is confusing to say the least. It’s a grammatical jumble and so it makes it difficult conceptually.

I didn’t know if my eyes were open or shut or even if I had a body at all. I just knew that I was cold. So cold. And my soul was drifting.

"I didn't know if my eyes were open or closed - I didn't even know if I had a body! I just knew I was cold - so cold - and my soul was drifting." I wasn't sure how to dictate how you should edit this part so i just wrote how i would edit it myself haha

Black.

i actually liked this section. i was just wondering though how she knew she was dead? she was so confused and had no idea where she was two seconds ago and now she knows she's dead? i don't know i guess i was expecting something like shock or panic or sobbing haha

i'd either combine the segments to make it "as i drifted in this world i would be forever bound to, i felt ..." or replace the commas with dashes.

...but especially for one person. Me. God that sounds selfish. But it was true. I wanted to weep for all the things I would never be able to do, the people I would never see, the life I would never live. I was dead. Forever.

i don't know if this is a stylistic option because i can see this done throughout the piece but i feel like you're overusing periods. try throwing in some other punctuation marks in there like commas and it'll be easier to read :wink:

Pain. Terrible, horrible pain.

again, i'm not sure if it's just your style, but i'd replace the period with a dash or something else besides a period *two seconds later* well actually i see you used the word 'pain' in repetition so yeah i'm assuming it's not a matter of grammar just style? ignore this ramble haha

My legs I was so glad to feel started to thrash, my arms flailing as something cold held them down.

i had to reread this sentence like three times before i got what you were saying xD i just say read it over and edit it with proper punctuation.

Alistair’s eyes were dry with the tears he couldn’t shed.

i totally get what you're saying here but i'd personally describe the fact he couldn't cry in different words - for example "alistair couldn't even cry blahblahblah; nicholas, on the other hand, didn't even try hiding the tears running down his face. " more or less.

the comma doesn't belong before "Lexie" because there's no dialogue tag before it (e.g said). also, maybe add "of her emotions" after 'rest' to clarify?

again, 'frowned' isn't a dialogue tag so the comma should be a period.

this is a run-on and i'd cut out 'my body weak'.

It was then that I realised Tia and Samuel were there as Samuel’s face was for once rid of his sarcastic anger as his eyes were stripped to show the pain he was really feeling.

I looked at their faces, the cuts and bruises and bloodstains that was evident on all of
them but Alistair.

was should be were.

i'm not sure if 'cut her grandson off' is considered a dialogue tag so i'll leave that alone haha but was nina supposed to say "how could a death witch convince everyone he was their leader?"

----

you have me very interested and wanting to read more! i love your characters' names and i love how you were able to reveal some of their character traits within such little text. despite the various grammatical errors, you did a nice job with this. you have a unique flow that just carries your eyes through the piece.

happy writing!
xo julia

nativecatcher wrote a review...

I think your story was very interesting although I'm not sure what you meant by "I had just died after all". Did she actually die and come back to life? That was the only confusing thing to me though.Your story had me interested as because I really wanted to know what happened, and what a death witch was.This is off to a very good start. :D

canislupis wrote a review...

I like this. It is slightly confusing, but I'm guessing you'll explain some things later?

There are quite a few errors, though, so I would suggest a good run-through to pick those up. I'm not going to go through it now, but I would suggest either using a program like Word or Open Office to help, or reading it aloud. This helps to pick up typoes and the like. Having a polished piece also makes it easier for people to critique. ;)

Aren't witches female? This is one of the reasons I was confused. Also, who are all these people? Obviously they know Lexie, but we don't, so maybe introduce them a bit more gradually?

And what just happened? There are shape-shifters, we know, but what about the battle? We could use a lot more description of the surroundings. Obviously, you have a clear picture of everything around them, but I barely know what's going on. Even if Lexie isn't thinking clearly, she would still notice some things, wouldn't she?

Also, I would use a lot less time describing what happens when she's "dead," and more on what happens before and after. I also am not so much a fan of the last line--it feels a bit to cute, if you know what I mean. The rest of this is pretty somber, and that sortof breaks the mood.

This is such a short bit that I'm not really sure what else to say to help you. :) One thing you've done very well is capture my attention. I'd love to read more of this. In fact, if you post it, please tell me, and I'll come back to review the rest of it.

See you around!

Lupis

Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:34 pm
Talulahbelle wrote a review...

I thought it was very good overall, but there are a few things that kept me from really getting into it.
First, I don't think the death sequence was very believable. It felt a bit forced. There should be a little more wonder, a little more fear and a little less thought...if that makes any sense. And with her body, you should committ to one thing kind of. If you're gonna focus on a feeling of drifting then you need to leave her body behind. In the writing you conflict the flow a little by one minute saying she didn't know is she had a body but another she was thinking about her eyelids. And the not being able to feel her body thing feels forced. When you're about to write it, trying meditating. Lay on your floo, make sure you aren't touching anything and everything is quiet, and then try to lose yourself, almost like falling asleep. Use that kind of emotions for Lexie.

And then, after she wakes it seems as if you move on too quickly. The others don't have much emotion about it and there isn't much except exhaustion from Lexie. They should be relieved that she's alive or burnt up with rage, something. And she should be a bit more euphoric about seeing their faces.

Just try to put yourself where she is and it'll come.

oh, ps, I don't fully understand the numbness being chased away by the pain. I think i get what you're trying to do but it doesn't really come across well here. Maybe she should start to feel her limbs again, then the pain grows on her as she is reconnected.

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same.
— Kurt Cobain