16+

In All That I Live For (Part 1)

by Songmorning

I.

I hate the way she looks at me. Yes, she gives me that same, bright smile she gives everyone, but behind those eyes is a kind of desperation, a pleading. But there’s also an almost mocking confidence, as though she’s sure—or trying to be sure—that the thing which I know will never happen, will happen.

There’s also affection in her gaze: in those eyes which I even feel on my back sometimes and which rest on me when I speak. In her letters, she once called me her favorite uncle, and I don’t doubt it was true, and still remains true, even so many years later. But why can’t she learn to let this go? Why does she still stare at me with desperation behind her eyes?

The rest of my family learned to let it go, dealing with it in whatever ways worked best for them. They didn’t care that I was an atheist, and even if they did, they didn’t obsess over it. But my niece, Rachel—“Jesus, Jesus, Jesus…” as though nervously, anxiously, she was trying to think of ways to mention that name around me.

It was all right at first, when she was just a young teenager giving me a Christian book to read, when I thought all I had to do was explain to her that I was glad she found her religion fulfilling, but I was a man of science. But she kept pursuing it: in her letters, which I thought contained no compelling scientific information, then in the next family reunion, and the next…

At the end of one reunion, as she was hugging me goodbye, she even whispered, “Seek truth!” in my ear. As if I don’t. Why won’t she just accept it? I’m never going to change, no matter how much she wants me to. I have to have hard evidence to believe anything. I can’t believe something just because I want it to be true.

She shouldn’t be so anxious. Even if there is a god, chances are, he won’t send me to hell. I’m a good man with a clean mouth and a clean life. I love my wife, I love nature, and I treat my family’s religion with respect even though I don’t believe it. I even pray with them when they pray before meals. Any good god wouldn’t torture me eternally for an honest mistake.

But there is no god, which is why I don’t believe in one. Not because I wish there was no god, but because there is none. I wouldn’t say that to Rachel, of course…break her innocent, little heart…but it is what I believe, or rather what I disbelieve.

Perhaps she’s right. Perhaps they’re all right, and there is a god—even a personal god, for all I know. Anything could be true, for all I know. But I believe in accepting the more straightforward and rational explanation for the world, and science is the only thing that’s concrete. I can’t believe in something I have no evidence for.

I don’t need religion for emotional fulfillment either. I’ve lived a very fulfilling, and—I would say—happy life. My wife Sharon and I are very well-off: we have a beautiful house and a beautiful garden that keeps us busy. We’ve been hiking everywhere, even in foreign countries—our favorite pastime. I have hobbies and friends, and I do things to help others. Sometimes I get together with my family, and we get along well. I don’t need anything more. I’m living this short life to the fullest. Everything was perfect for me and my wife.

Well, I say was. I can’t say everything’s perfect anymore, not since Sharon got diagnosed with cancer. It’s so senseless! We’ve always led healthy lives; we’ve done everything right. Why should she of all people have cancer? She’s had such a good attitude about it…so optimistic…but it’s killing me to watch her. Every new, vicious round of chemotherapy, every horrible side effect…I hate it. She’s responding well to the treatments, the doctors say, and we’re still living relatively normal lives. We still go hiking. And yet it’s frightening. Time is frightening. I think about death a lot now, more than I’d like to. Each moment that passes is another moment gone forever, another moment closer to the day when everything will fall out from under me. I don’t know what I’ll do without her.

It makes me angry too. This has perhaps been my most compelling reason for not believing in a good god: that senseless, horrible things happen in this world. Little children are sold as prostitutes. Earthquakes devastate whole countries. And people who have never done anything to deserve it, get cancer.

Sharon isn’t a believer either. So do you know what Rachel did when she heard my wife had cancer? She sent her a letter. The letter was nice at first, but then it basically begged her to believe in Jesus. Rachel then exchanged more letters about Jesus with her, as she had with me before. What does she think? That this is an opportune time to proselytize?

I’ve been keeping my family updated on my wife’s condition, and I appreciate their prayers: it means they care. But I don’t appreciate this. Sharon has enough to deal with already without someone pressuring her to turn to religion and making her feel guilty. Why won’t Rachel leave us alone? Why won’t she leave us both alone?

I should explain something. I love my niece. Really, I do. And I care about her. I know she only has the best of intentions, and I appreciate that, I suppose. But as I’ve said, she doesn’t know how to let it go. When she looks at my wife now, her eyes are painfully sad even though she smiles. They’re pleading, like when she looks at me. I don’t understand her.

II.

Those were my thoughts at our last family reunion. As is the custom with my extended family, we rented a cabin out in some beautiful place and spent our time going on hikes in the mountains and along rivers. We had a wonderful time, and it was so good to be with family and explore nature. It was even good to see Rachel, though every time our hiking group split up, she joined the one with me and Sharon.

However, Rachel said something strange during that reunion: something disturbing. It was particularly disturbing because she’s generally a bright and cheerful person, but it would have been disturbing in any case. It kept bothering me for a long time afterwards, and not in the same way that her talk about Jesus bothers me.

We were on a hike with a couple of my brothers and their wives, and their children, including Rachel. (Sharon and I don’t have kids, and some of our nieces and nephews, like Rachel, are getting to be young adults.) Coming to yet another scenic overlook in the mountains, we stopped to enjoy the view. There were no railings up here, but rather an area of rounded, pale brown stone that grew gradually steeper until it suddenly ended in a cliff. Wanting to see over the edge of the cliff, I hiked carefully down the rounded stone. One of Rachel’s younger cousins and her little sister followed me onto the steep part, but their moms immediately called them back, scolding them about the dangers involved.

After a moment, I turned and made my way back up, joking, “I must not be as valuable as them! No one told me to get away from the cliff!”

Everyone laughed, except Rachel. She was standing to one side of the group—the side closest to me—and I involuntarily met her eyes, which now seemed to have more desperation behind them than ever.

She gave me a strange smile. “If you died now, I might commit suicide,” she mumbled. Then, suddenly nervous, she looked away quickly.

I wasn’t sure if she had meant for me to hear that, or even if she knew that I had heard it. Horror overwhelmed me for an instant, but Sharon was already joining in on the joke, remarking that I had the car keys so they couldn’t lose me. I forced myself to laugh with them, but I wasn’t laughing inside. Rachel’s remark had made my joke seem suddenly horrible. Why had she said that? Did she mean it?

After the reunion, I tried to put what Rachel said out of my mind, but it kept bothering me. The more I tried to ignore it, the more it troubled me. What the hell had she meant, anyway? That if I died, she felt she might do something crazy?

No, not just if I died…if I died now. I was sure by “now”, Rachel meant before I believe in Jesus. She still wouldn’t accept that that would never happen.

What would it accomplish? Nothing! But she couldn’t have meant it; her remark was just an emotional reaction. She shouldn’t care that much, I thought, it’s not her problem.

To tell the truth, I wasn’t completely certain what bothered me so much about that remark: whether it was its dark nature, or my uncertainty about what it implied, or simply the grotesque image of such a thing actually happening. Still, despite how troubled I was at first, time gradually wore away at my sense of horror. I thought about it less and less until, without noticing, I stopped thinking of it altogether.

By then, I had more important things on my mind.

Although Sharon still seemed relatively healthy, the doctors said her condition was beginning to decline. The cancer had spread to other parts of her body, and it was becoming resistant to more and more treatments. It could become unmanageable very suddenly, and at that point, there would be nothing more they could do.

Honestly, we didn’t know how to handle the news. The only thing we could think to do was plan a hiking trip together. We would have to go somewhere beautiful, somewhere unique, like nowhere else we had ever been. It could be our last hiking trip together.

After a bit of research, we decided on a place up north along the ocean coast. As soon as we had everything together, we drove up there and set up camp near the hiking trails. The trails ran along rugged, pine-forested cliffs and waterfalls that crashed through the cliffs into the ocean. There were rocky formations and small islands out at sea, and every view was breathtaking. The days were pleasantly cool but not cold, and the mossy woods smelled of sweet pine needles.

The sky on that day…when it happened…was a blank, formless gray, diffusing the light so that everything was palely lit and there were no distinct shadows. It was warm and humid, but the strangest thing was the sun. The sun was a deep, reddish-orange—a perfect circle in the uniform sky that seemed to cast no light of its own. I could look straight at it without blinking as it hung there eerily, like a staring eye.

I still don’t know exactly how it happened. It was so sudden, and my memory of the moment is, of course, rather spotty. I must’ve been hiking up close to the edge of the rapids, where there was a short, steep drop-off in the brownish-gray stone. Whether the fragile corner of the rock suddenly broke, or whether it was simply slippery from spray, I don’t know, but I felt that sudden, uncomfortable lurch in my chest, that horrid sensation of falling. Then I felt an instant of terror before I hit the freezing, violent waters, which smashed me against every rock they came to. There were a few seconds of agony, and then nothing.

I don’t know how long it was before I came to, but I’m still amazed that I came to at all. I must’ve washed up on some rocky beach, on an island a little ways out in the ocean. I suppose it was a place where no one visited, and I was on the opposite side of the coast, because no one found me for a long time.

Well, most of that was told to me after I was found. During that nightmare time, when I was there, I could hardly see. My glasses had shattered somewhere a long way back, and there was a sort of red darkness clouding my vision.

Being conscious was torture. I didn’t know where I was hurt, or how many injuries there were, because it all blended into a single, searing, aching pain. I kept fading in and out of consciousness, but each time I woke up, I was beset by a more awful terror. I had never experienced such fear before; it was worse than the physical pain. Why? Was I desperate to hold on to my existence a little longer?

Or was I terrified of Hell?

I didn’t believe in hell, but the possibility still hung there. Fear wasn’t enough to make me believe, however. I had never believed before, and I wasn’t about to believe just because death was staring me in the face. More so, I hated God. I hated Him for doing this to me, for putting me through such unendurable agony and terror.

But I didn’t hate god. I had no one to hate. No one had done this to me. It was nothing but a meaningless, senseless accident. And now, right before my eyes, my whole life was being reduced to absurdity. The moment I slipped out of existence, none of it would matter anymore. Not even my memories would remain. And before too much longer, no memory of me would remain either.

Maybe that was what I was terrified of.

I didn’t move as I lay there, bleeding. I didn’t know how much time passed as I slipped in and out of consciousness. In the end, it was really a miracle that I lived, an impossibility. They told me I had been missing for a week. Even so, I didn’t acknowledge it as a miracle. I didn’t let the thought cross my mind.

Once, when I was half-conscious, I thought I saw a man bending over me, weeping. A strange dream…a trick of the subconscious…and yet that was the only moment during that time in which I didn’t feel terror. Later on, I remembered it clearly, and it pierced my heart with a deep, warm emotion…but perhaps I even imagined the memory long after the fact.

Finally, the people who were searching for my body found me. They couldn’t believe I was alive, couldn’t explain it, but they got me to a hospital as soon as possible. Even after I received medical attention, it was still amazing that I survived. There were deep, infected gashes to be healed, broken bones and ribs, internal injuries…As for my head, the doctors were amazed to report that I’d received “only a severe concussion”. It could have been much worse, I suppose. One of my eyes had been irreversibly damaged, and I lost sight in it. All they could do for that was treat the infection. Then, of course, along with all this, I was starving, dehydrated, hypothermic, and suffering from severe blood loss. I couldn’t explain how I survived except by reminding myself that my heart and brain had not been severely damaged.

Sharon came to the hospital as soon as she heard I was alive. I was still slipping in and out of consciousness then, and I kept being taken in for surgery. Whenever I did wake, however, Sharon was there: a light, but one which made my heart ache. When I was able to speak, I mumbled, “How are you?...the cancer…”

“Don’t worry; I’m stable,” she replied, pressing my hand, “You just focus on recovering. Don’t worry about me.” She said this, but she still looked troubled, as though there was something she wasn’t telling me. Certain it had something to do with her condition, I kept pressing her for an answer, but she kept insisting that the cancer was under control.

Finally, a week later, I said to her, “Something’s bothering you. Please just tell me.” I wasn’t going to let it pass this time.

Sharon bit her lip. “You shouldn’t have to hear it when you’re in this condition,” she replied, “It’s…it’s something someone will have to tell you, but it’s not about me, all right? Don’t worry about it now. Wait until you’re a bit better.”

At her words, a horrible dread rose in my chest. Was it simply from the implication that she thought it was too awful for me to handle now, or did I somehow have an inkling of what it was? Either way, the expression on my face must have become suddenly frightening, because she drew back slightly. “Just tell me now,” I muttered through clenched teeth.

“It’s our niece…Rachel…” Sharon began reluctantly, and dread shook me all the more as I began to realize what she would say. “She’s dead.”

“Dead?” I gasped, “When?...How?”

“A little over two weeks ago…before you were found,” she answered, “Gavril, they…they think it was suicide.”

“I can’t believe it,” I whispered, staring up at the ceiling, hardly comprehending what I was hearing.

“Neither can I. She always seemed so cheerful.”

“Had you told the family I was dead?” I questioned her suddenly, intensely.

“Yes,” she said, then hurriedly added, “But now I’ve told them you’re alive, and I’ve been emailing them about how you’re doing.”

I didn’t have to ask any more specific questions. I knew what had happened. Leaning my head back against the hospital pillows, trying to control my shaking, I mumbled, “Please give me some time alone now.”

Sharon nodded to show she understood, but she didn’t really understand. She stood up and left the room.

For a while, I had no reaction. I lay there without any emotion, without any thought.

Then, suddenly, horror engulfed me. I nearly threw up.

She thought I was dead.

The horror converged into a searing stab of pain that pierced my heart. My one good eye stung with unshed tears.

She thought I was dead. She thought I was dead.

She had meant it, then. Or had she even meant it? She had done it. Why?

I experienced a cold flash of anger as I irrationally imagined this to be one, last-ditch effort to make me believe in her Jesus. I wouldn’t believe. Not even if God Himself committed suicide over me.

But she thought I was dead.

She couldn’t have done it to make me believe, then. But why? Why?

I knew why. It wasn’t rational, couldn’t have been an intellectual decision. Slowly, reluctantly, I was dragged to the inescapable conclusion. She hadn’t only thought I was dead.

Rachel thought I had gone to Hell, and she hadn’t been able to deal with it.

Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:54 am
artemis15sc wrote a review...

Hey there!

I love how you've taken a sort of never-ending "conflict" between Christians and Atheists and given it a new, thought provoking twist. Not only that but you've fleshed out some interesting and intriguing characters. Even though I don't agree with the thoughts and decisions of either Rachel or the protagonist, I find myself sympathizing with both of them. That's not an easy thing to accomplish as a writer.

I do have some criticism for you, but it has to deal more with the writing than your content or plot.

1. Strong vs. Weak words. Strong words are nouns, verbs, and the occasional adverb or adjective. Weak words are everything else in the sentence. As you might guess, you want to as many strong words as possible and as few weak words as possible. Unnecessary weak words clog your sentences and make the writing feel clunky. When yoor editing this peice try to figure out how to say the same thing using as few words as possible. It will make your writing stronger, I promise.

Here's an example:

2. The word that. This is related to my previous comment, I just wanted to talk about this word. It's a word that we often use unnecessarily in the English language, and can easily be cut it. Anytime you use this word try reading the sentence without it. If the sentence still makes sense then it's unnecessary and you can delete it.

Example:

3.show vs. tell. You've probably heard this before, as we writers like to use it a lot, but I'll give you a quick refresher.
Telling is when the narrator relays what happened. It's less interestingly but allows you to convey a lot of information quickly. Showing is when you allow your reader to experience the story along with your characters using precise sensory details. It's much more engaging but also takes longer.

You're stories interesting because it's conveying a lot of things in a relatively small space, so it makes sense that your protagonist would have to tell us a lot of this information. However, I would still recommend choosing a few scenes that are really important and fleshing them out with more sensory details. Describe what's happening instead of just explaining.

4. elements of writing. You've probably heard of the four elements, Earth, air, water, and fire. This is taking them and applying them to writing. So the four elements of writing are action(fire), air(thoughts), water(dialogue), and earth(desciption). Exactly how much you use in each story will depend, but it's better to balanced between all of them. The problem with this is story is it has a lot of thoughts, but not a lot of everything else. These thoughts do a great job of conveying the character, but they don't give the readers much to visualize, making it seem more like a memoir or philosophical paper than a short story.

One of the reviewers below mentioned how you can make your character's thoughts more concise, and I think this would be an easy solution to this problem.

I just have one more quick comment for you. It seems like your story starts when Sharon gets cancer, and every thing before then is just exposition. Are you sure all that exposition is necessary? is there anyway you could shorten it or move those thoughts somewhere else in the story so we can get into the action sooner? Just a thought, take it how you will.

I know I've said this already, but I'm amazed at the emotional depth you've given this piece. You're not dealing easy topics here; faith, death, suicide; but you've beyond done them justice. I find it interesting that even though I'm Christian, I identify more with the protagonist than Rachel. Not that I don't like Rachel, but I don't relate to her nearly as much. Just another testament to your superb character building.

Make sure you keep writing, because you've got some great stories to tell.

-Art

P.S. Sorry for my novel, I haven't reviewed in a while so I think I went a little overboard.

Catalyst wrote a review...

Hey there, Catalyst here for a review!
This was, in my opinion, an amazing piece. And I think a lot of that is owed to how well I can relate with it, as an atheist who thinks of mortality in much the same way this character did. Seeing that kind of thought applied to a story has a really great affect, and you tackle it very well.
Alright, now that the coincidental greatness of this piece is out of the way, lets get down to some of the more solid criticism.
Now, I totally understand that this piece is very character driven, most of it being spent inside the head of our main character. Which is exactly why I think you should try compress as much as possible into those few descriptive sentences you allow. For example, I think you could have built a better image of nature and beauty for the final hiking spot. Or disappointment, depending on what you were going for. The point is, I didn't get a great image, no really striking descriptions. There is absolutely room for more vibrant and interesting descriptions here, that can impact the story.
This leads nicely onto my next point- Character descriptions. And I don't mean they're physical appearance (Although that may have been nice), I feel they could use a little more body language in some areas, but what you have included is pretty perfect.
All in all, great take on a really interesting subject. I'm looking forward to reading more!

Sujana says...

Not a review, that's for later, but I'd just like to say--you missed the perfect opportunity to say "Rachel thought I had gone to hell, and she wanted to come with me" or something dramatic of the sort. Not saying you have to, but I think that would've punched me a little harder. Good job otherwise. Wait for a review.

Songmorning says...

Thanks, although Rachel never expected to go to Hell, since she believes her salvation is secure in Christ. Maybe I can think up something else to put there?

Sujana says...

As far as I'm aware, suicide usually earns a person damnation according to most churches. I thought that was why she decided to kill herself.

Songmorning says...

Whoever tells people that suicide means damnation has no understanding of the grace of God.

Songmorning says...

The idea comes from the notion that you have to somehow be constantly recognizing and confessing your sins to be continually re-earning Christ's forgiveness--as though somehow God did not already know what sins you would commit in the future before forgiving you. As though somehow you're even able to recognize every single sin you commit and confess it. As if God's forgiveness somehow depends on YOUR actions and YOUR faithfulness in confessing instead of HIS perfect grace and His completed work on the Cross. No, to those who truly accept Christ, their sins are forgiven past, present, and future. And while good works and love for God are marks of a true Christian, they're not what save. Suicide is a great sin, but for someone who's in Christ, it's already forgiven too. And since Rachel is based off me, I know she understands these things. "It is by grace you have been saved, through faith, and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not by works so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

Sorry if I'm responding rather passionately to your innocent remark. My dearest friend was once hurt very deeply by Christians who told her she would go to Hell if she committed suicide. What kind of thing is that to tell someone who's suffering? It's not true, and it's not Biblical in the slightest.

Sujana says...

I understand your rage. Its a very touchy subject, and often can lead to a lot of suffering if handled badly--my church once told me that it wasn't good for me to cut myself, not because it hurt me, but because it hurt gods ego because I'm supposed to be his perfect creation. That sort of fuelled it more, but fortunately I found solace in people living on the internet (people who say that the internet is all bad speak bullcrap and I'll hear no word otherwise) so that fixed my shattered self to an extent. I still dont think people who struggle to love themselves should be punished by being called sinners, mostly because its a natural feeling that can't just be rid of by the threat of damnation. Its very unfair, and Im sure a benevolent god wouldnt have anything to do with it.

Sujana says...

Also, I'm sorry if I touched upon a very sensitive topic for you. I didnt mean to make you uncomfortable, so I apologize if I did.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:33 pm
ErikaHale wrote a review...

Hello there, Songmorning!

You have a very interesting novel here! But before I go into detail, I'd like to congratulate you on something very specific. I'm Catholic, and I didn't feel offended when I read this first part. That is extremely hard to accomplish, well done!

Next up, I love the use of the roman numerals. Makes the novel look much more professional.

Your descriptions are off the charts! I was simply flabbergasted. Your talent just makes my eyes green with jealousy.

However, I might have cut a bit of the details in order to keep the reader on track. Sometimes you tend to paraphrase your own sentences, and that just bores the readers.

But other than that, it's beautifully executed! You should be very proud of this part.

Yours truly,

Erika

Songmorning says...

Thanks! The "paraphrasing my own sentences" thing is kind of a new trend in my writing, and while I feel it's effective in places, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm overusing it. This particular story is a bit different, though, in that it's supposed to sound kind of disjointed and rambling, like the sitting and talking to you, or scribbling in his journal.

Songmorning says...

*like the narrator is sitting and talking to you

ErikaHale says...

Thank you so much for clarifying that! And I think you're totally right. In some parts, your paraphrasing belongs. In others it seems too long. And if you really want it to seem like your narrator is rambling, cut out a bit of the descriptions. That way it gives it more like the narrator is sitting and talking to you.

But other than those two, it is a most wonderful novel, and I forgot to say this in the review but, I love the first sentence! It just hooked me right away. And I'll be sure to check out chapter 2.

It's a pity the dictionary has only one definition of beauty. In my world, there are 7.9 billion types of it- all different and still beautiful.
— anne27