z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Dreams of Stars Chapter 27 (Once Upon a Time)

by Songmorning


One evening, when Jiminy got home from his office, he said, “We should go out to eat.” He was smiling.

“Oh, y-you mean…” Kaelin stammered, but only finished the sentence in her head: …like a date? It seemed a little silly to her to consider eating out with Jiminy a date, while eating at home with him was just a “regular meal”. Still, there was something more exciting about eating out.

“Shall we go to Granny’s?” he offered.

“Yes!” Kaelin replied, “Thank you!” She smiled, and smiled even bigger inside. A date! she thought, My first date with Jiminy! Come to think of it, it was her first date at all.

The air was nippy outside, so they bundled up in jackets, and Jiminy put on a striped scarf and a gray cap. Then they drove over to Granny’s, went inside, and sat in a booth near the back of the room. They ordered sodas to begin with, then settled down to look at the menu.

“Have you heard how it’s going with…trying to bring Queen Snow and Emma home?” Kaelin asked. She studied her menu carefully, not looking at him. Storybrooke was in a state of tension because of their absence.

Jiminy sighed and shook his head. “I’m not sure,” he said, “They’re still trying to figure out how to open up a portal. I think they’re mining for—”

Suddenly, the door flew open, its bell clanging loudly, and six jubilant dwarves came stomping in, along with David and some others. They went to the bar and ordered drinks, laughing and clinking their glasses. “Fairy dust!” someone said.

Jiminy shrugged and gestured toward the dwarves. “They found it,” he remarked.

In her scramble to fill all the sudden, new orders, Red practically forgot about Jiminy and Kaelin. Sipping at her soda through a straw, Kaelin bit her lip, somewhat miffed at the unexpectedly noisy atmosphere. Her first date was disrupted by this party. Still, it was hardly possible to be annoyed at the dwarves, considering what they were celebrating about. The thought that sweet Snow might be home soon was exciting.

As the raucous celebration began to die down, Red hurried toward the corner of the room, pausing in front of Kaelin and Jiminy’s table. “I am so sorry,” she said, “Are you ready to order?” Her manner was apologetic but still businesslike. Kaelin ordered a Reuben with fruit on the side, and Jiminy ordered a chef’s salad. Then Red went on back a few tables and to clear up some dishes.

Suddenly, there was a little shriek from behind Kaelin, accompanied by a loud clatter. Kaelin jumped and glanced over her shoulder, but Red had just dropped some dishes back on the table. There was a young man in the corner by the jukebox, and he seemed to have startled her.

Kaelin turned back to her almost-empty soda, but then she thought she heard the young man say, “I was a mouse…” Eyes widening, Kaelin looked over her shoulder at him again. “My name was Gus…” the young man went on shyly, speaking to Red, his mouth twisting in an awkward grin. He had moderately dark skin, a wide nose, and a slender build. His black hair was close-cropped on top, and he had a shadow of a black beard and mustache.

A huge smile spread across Kaelin’s face, and she pressed a hand over her mouth. Excitedly, she turned back to Jiminy. “It’s Gus-Gus!” she whispered, leaning forward on the table, “Look!” she nodded back toward the young man.

“Who—? Oh! Oh, Gus. Your mouse friend. How do you know?”

“Well, I just heard him say it,” Kaelin replied, “Nova and I have been keeping an ear out for him because we knew we wouldn’t be able to recognize him. I’m going to go talk to him, but—but he’s talking to Red now.” She bent over her soda and sipped at it until the straw made a rattling sound in the bottom of the glass.

“I think he drives the tow truck around here,” Jiminy remarked, “I’ve seen him a few times.”

Kaelin glanced back again and saw that Belle was there, standing beside Red and talking to Gus too. Gus turned slightly away as they talked, looking at the floor with a grin. Then he turned back to Red with a forced smile, said another short, awkward sentence, and walked away from them. He brushed right by Kaelin and Jiminy, heading for the door.

Kaelin tried to jump up and say something to him and ended up clumsily falling back into her booth. “I-I’ll be right back,” she stammered to Jiminy. Hurriedly, she got up and ran after Gus, trying to fight down her sense of awkwardness. She had meant to catch him as he walked past, but he had been walking much faster than she expected. Now she’d have to follow him and call after him to say something to him. That idea was so painful that Kaelin almost considered letting it drop for the night and waiting until the next time she saw him. Maybe then there would be a more opportune time to talk. But, no. She’d been looking for Gus, and he would be happy to see her if he just knew who she was.

Gus went straight out the door, and Kaelin followed him. “E-excuse me!” she called, stopping right outside. Gus paused and turned around.

“Um…yes?” he said, grinning slightly with bemusement.

“I’m Kaelin!” she told him.

A look of dawning recognition came into Gus’s eyes, and he opened his mouth to reply. Then, suddenly, he looked confused again. “I’m sorry, I don’t know any Kaelin,” he said.

“You do too!” Kaelin returned, coming down the steps to meet him. “You are Gus, aren’t you? I was a mouse too!”

“Oh! Well…” Gus rolled his eyes up toward the sky, “I did know a mouse named Suzy back home, but…”

“Oh, stop it,” Kaelin interrupted. She had to laugh.

Gus grinned at her. “Good to see you again,” he said more seriously.

“So what were you talking to Red about?” Kaelin asked.

Gus laughed shyly, glancing at the ground and trying to hold back a smile.

Kaelin’s eyes widened. “You were asking her out, weren’t you?” she gasped.

“Yeah, but…I don’t think she was too interested,” Gus responded, shaking his head. His disappointment was obvious, but he was trying to be a good sport. “I thought maybe, now that I was human, I might have a chance, but…nah. She was trying to be nice about it, but…”

Kaelin thought he was really sweet, and she just had to say something to comfort him. She fumbled for words. “Well, I—I know you’ve always liked her, right? Maybe now you do have a chance. Just…keep being nice to her, and maybe she’ll notice, right?”

“Thanks, Suzy,” Gus said, “But I don’t think she’s ever going to be able to get over her ‘eek, a mouse!’ memories of me. She really doesn’t like mice. She jumped when I even mentioned the word.”

“Well, don’t give up, okay?” Kaelin replied, “Will you please stop calling me ‘Suzy’, though? I won’t call you ‘Gus-Gus’ anymore—just ‘Gus’.”

Gus made an exasperated gesture with his arms. “Why won’t anyone call me by my real name?”

“Because ‘Gustave’ doesn’t fit you at all,” Kaelin replied with a laugh.

Gus rolled his eyes. “Oh, all right, Kaelin.”

“Anyway,” she went on with a grin, “Come back inside! You have to see Jiminy Cricket!”

Gus raised his eyebrows. “You’re eating out with Jiminy Cricket? I see I’m not the only one who’s taking advantage of not being a mouse anymore.”

“Gus! Just…come back inside and meet him.”

“I’d rather not, actually,” Gus admitted, “Red’s still in there, y’know?”

Kaelin could understand how he was feeling. She nodded. “Okay, I’ll bring Jiminy out here. Have you had supper yet? Maybe we could go back to his house to eat.”

Gus laughed shakily. “That would be nice. I haven’t had a bite to eat all day. Too nervous. I decided this morning that I would definitely talk to Red today, but it took me a long time to work up the courage. I feel a bit better now that it’s over, though. Worse, in some ways, but at least not so nervous. Now I’m actually quite hungry.”

“Great,” Kaelin said, “I’ll be right back, then. Don’t go away!” She ran back inside to get Jiminy.

Jiminy agreed to the idea of having Gus come over for supper. Since Red had already brought their food, he ordered carryout boxes and paid the bill right away. Then they went outside and met up with Gus. Jiminy didn’t know Gus quite as well as Kaelin did, but they were soon talking and laughing together. They drove back to Jiminy’s house, with Gus following along behind in his tow truck. He had apparently worked that day and had gone straight to Granny’s in his truck.

At Jiminy’s house, Kaelin called Nova to tell her she had found Gus. To Kaelin’s surprise, Nova came over immediately to join them for supper. She was extremely excited to see Gus. When she showed up at the door, she explained, “I couldn’t possibly wait until tomorrow morning!”

Their meal was very miscellaneous and ill-prepared. Kaelin and Jiminy ate their orders from Granny’s while Gus and Nova had leftovers from the fridge. When they were done with that, Kaelin decided to cut up a watermelon, and they finished the whole thing. Gus probably ate over half of it. Then he begged for some cheese. Jiminy resisted this request a bit, but he finally gave in, and Gus ended up eating a whole block of sharp cheddar. He hadn’t been kidding when he said he was hungry.

“I am sorry!” he said at the end of the meal, laughing, “I’m eating you out of house and home! Thank you for your hospitality, Jiminy. Anyway, I should be getting back home now.”

“Ohh, don’t go yet,” Nova pleaded, “We should at least play a game first!”

Kaelin glanced at the clock. It was 10:00. She glanced at Jiminy.

Jiminy looked undecided for a moment, but then his face broke out in a grin. “Okay, fine. It’s a special occasion. But just one game, all right? We can always get together again later.”

They spent another half-hour playing a round of Apples-to-Apples, then Gus insisted that he really had to go home. He hugged Kaelin tightly, then Nova. Then he shook Jiminy’s hand. “See you tomorrow!” he said, and he went away.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
324 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 324

Donate
Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:42 am
View Likes
Evander wrote a review...



Hey, Song! I'm here for a quick review.

As I think I said in the last Storybrooke chapter, I'm a bit wary about how happy it all is. There are about ten chapters left, Snow and Emma are still not back, and while the major threat with Regina has been put to rest, everything still feels a bit off. As I've said before (and will probably say again), it feels a bit too early for that happy ending. That 'gotcha!' moment is going to be just around the corner and the longer I wait for it, the more nervous builds up each chapter I read. It doesn't really look like we've hit the climax of the novel yet. Everything that might have had a build up has been resolved in a relatively short amount of time? (Unless it ends up focusing around Pinocchio's true identity, but even then, it feels like the buildup hasn't been adequate yet.)

Gus responded, shaking his head. His disappointment was obvious,

There is nothing wrong with just stating the emotion that the character is feeling, but in some places it's a bit redundant. The action that translates to the emotion has already been stated, so saying the emotion again is repetitive. Personally, I'd take out the part highlighted in gold.

I've noticed that it feels like all of the emotions and events are being told from an outside perspective, instead of from Kaelin's viewpoint. Instead of talking about how she understood Gus, it just mentions it in the passing. While an explanation isn't completely necessary for every single thing, it would still be nice to see that every once in a while.

After reading the dialogue bit out loud, it sounds a tad bit stilted at some points. It could probably be fleshed out in some places and cut down on in others. There's a bit of an issue with redundancy in some parts, but I think I've commented on that already. This article might help you a bit in the dialogue department! Like, the dialogue has gotten better from all sounding similar, now I think it's just a problem with syntax and intent behind it,

He had apparently worked that day and had gone straight to Granny’s in his truck.

That information right there feels a bit unneeded? It's introduced in an awkward way -- while it does establish why he has a truck, him having a truck is not something that the reader would really doubt? I mean, I'd doubt that he would have a magical amulet that solves everything unless there was apt information, but having a tow truck isn't something that I would be skeptical about. Unless it was a magical tow truck that solves everything, but I'm getting a bit off topic. :P

Don't have much to say besides that for this chapter! As I've said, I'm really nervous as we approach the ending. Well, I hope that you keep on writing!

~Adrian, Knight of RED




Random avatar

Points: 291
Reviews: 7

Donate
Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:07 am
View Likes
mosedesmoulins wrote a review...



What an interesting read, BRAVO! This is the first chapter of your story that I've come across, but from what I could gather it seems like quite a fascinating read. I enjoy your name choice for your characters, it's always a nice change not to see the same Bob and Sam all the time. Jimmy isn't exactly the most creative name in the world, but I think it contrasts nicely with the Kaelin and Nova. I also believe you balanced your dialogue and narrative effectively, it creates harmony in writing and adds to having a smooth flow in writing. Keep up the stellar work, I will enjoyed to follow your story:)




Songmorning says...


Thanks! But so you know, "Kaelin" is the only original name here, since this is a fanfiction of a show called "Once Upon a Time".




Poetry is the art of creating imaginary gardens with real toads.
— Marianne Moore