Hero for Hire: Chapter 4.2

by Sonder

It was a beautiful autumn day, and it seemed to mock Eli with every step.

The trees lining the campus were the color of flames, crisp and vibrant, and the clouds were huge and puffy white in a brilliant cerulean sky. The air was fresh on his tired skin, and he relished in it. But Atlas' shadow still trailed him, despite it all.

The Edgewood campus perched on the edge of Bluford, walking the fine line where urban life, suburbia, and classic farmland of Ohio clashed and mingled. A few students wandered along the main road or sat on picnic blankets on the sprawling lawns before the brick academic buildings, but the majority of Edgewood was in class or studying. There was a park only a few blocks away, tucked behind a quaint, middle-class neighborhood that reminded Eli of home-- sometimes a little too much.

The park was an oasis, a circle of calm amidst it all. Eli's favorite tree, a huge, sprawling maple with dark purple leaves, was found towards the center, in a cluster of pine and benches donated from the locals. The tree had been there for him since his first week at Edgewood, when he had sought out solitude in whatever nature he could find.

The memories filtered in over the present pain. He'd used to come here to read books up in the branches, or avoid uncomfortable social interactions, or to flip through pictures of his family on his phone, homesickness tearing him apart from the inside. He'd never realized that moving only three hours away from home could be so hard.

His older sister by five years, Danielle, had left for South Korea to study International Communications last year, but she'd done her best to prepare him for all the classic struggles that he would encounter at college. And as a present sophomore, he felt as though he had the hang of it by now. The college bit, at least.

He doubted that she could give him advice on how to cope with being a superpowered person, a villain, or watching your friend burn up before your eyes, though.

(He also doubted that his tree could help him with that either, but hey, everyone has their ways of coping.)

He swung himself into the lowest bough of the maple, ignoring the jabs in his shoulder and chest. He shifted to get comfortable, rolling his shoulders in a vain attempt to release the knots in his back. The view from up here showed him the collision of communities- the high rise buildings to the left, suburbia before him, and beyond that, the soybean fields, stretching for mile after flat mile.

He'd been up there for barely a minute when his phone buzzed. He brushed a hand over his chest, as though he could erase the damage with a gesture, before answering.

"Hello?"

"Hey, honey."

His lips twisted up into a sad smile. Of course. She must have heard about last night, already. He felt a new stab of guilt at not telling her that he was safe immediately.

"Hey, Mom."

A pause. She spoke hesitantly, which was unusual to hear from the stubborn, confident woman Eli was used to. "I heard about what happened. With your friend. It was on the news this morning."

"Yeah."

Another pause, a shuffle. "Are you doing okay?"

He shook his head, fully aware of the exhaustion that seeped into his very bones, but his mouth said, "Yeah."

"I don't believe you, Eli."

Eli swallowed with difficulty, his resolve crumbling. A weary smile tugged at his lips. She knew him too well.

"No," he admitted, voice cracking. "I feel awful."

"Tell me."

Eli grabbed a large purple leaf off of the branch and twisted the stem between his fingers. He leaned his head back into the rough bark and took a deep breath.

He told her everything. Well, almost. There was no way he could tell her that her only son had turned to crime to pay off his student loans.

But the few secrets he kept from her stuck in his throat like thorns.

"It's not your fault, Eli. What happened was awful, but it's not your fault."

Eli closed his eyes, tried to believe her. "I know."

Her voice was firm. "I don't want you slipping, again. Be honest. Do you think you'll be alright for now? Do you need to come home?"

Eli gazed out at the houses below with tired eyes, at the double garages, wooden fences, perfect paint jobs, and well-kept yards so similar to his parents' house only three hours away. 

He could just... leave. Quit his job. Sleep forever. Forget all about the Program, Rift, Zenith, Pyro, everything to do with villain work. Move on.

Don't let it happen again.

He couldn't abandon Atlas like that. Not when he still didn't know what had really happened.

"I'm alright," he finally said, and was surprised to find that it wasn't a complete lie. Talking with his mom always had that effect on him. "I think I'll see how things go in the next week or so, when things calm down a bit and I get some updates. I'll try an Edgewood counselor, if I start feeling really bad."

"If you're sure." She sighed, and he knew that she was running a hand through her wavy brown hair, a tic that he had picked up from her. "I love you so much, sweetie."

"Love you too, Mom."

"Stay safe. Call me if you need anything."

"I will."

He hung up. He tilted his head back, shifting to avoid the bruises in his back. His burns itched, and he was exhausted, but the sun was soft, filtering through the leaves, and he felt more calm than he had all day. It's not your fault, he repeated to himself, grasping at the words. He almost believed them.

"Eli!"

He startled, jerking up and away from the tree, the peace broken. A flock of songbirds squawked and lifted away from the tree in a writhing cloud as he spotted Sebastián striding towards him. Fallen leaves crunched under his roommates converse.

"Oh. Hey man," Eli said, trying to ignore the twisting sensation in his gut at the unreadable expression on Seb's face. He hadn't even considered how Sebastián had been doing. Seb was probably freaking out just as much as Eli, but Eli knew that he was much better at hiding it than most people.

Sebastián swiped a strand of thick black hair away from his eyes. He walked confidently, but his lips were pressed tightly together, like he was afraid of what would spill out if he opened them. He paused at the base of the tree, crossed his arms over his chest. He was wearing torn jeans and a band tee that hung from his thin form.

"I knew I'd find you here. Classic Moping Tree."

Eli swung his leg over the bough and jumped down, wincing at the soreness radiating from his chest. He wondered whether he was supposed to change the bandages at some point.

"I don't mope."

Seb raised an eyebrow. "Right. And I'm as short as you."

"Ha, ha." Eli tried not to sound irritated, drawing himself to his full height, a good head shorter than his roommate. The short jokes, he was used to, but something about Seb's sudden appearance put him on edge. "What do you want?"

Sebastián glanced to the side, avoiding Eli's gaze. He bounced his leg nervously.

"We need to talk, man. About you. About what happened."

Eli let out a hard exhale, ran a hand through his hair. "Look. I don't know what happened. The police said that they'd contact me if they needed anything, that the hospital would tell me if anything new happened--"

"Not that."

Sebastián fidgeted with his bracelet, a frayed, twisted mess of blue string that Eli believed to have been a gift from one of Seb's little sisters. Eli watched his jaw clench as he struggled to find the right words.

"I mean... with Atlas being Pyro," he said, finally. "A supervillain, Eli. And with you being..." He glanced up, dark eyes full of suspicion. "Whoever you are."

He tilted his head and spread his hands. His expression was hard.

"Enough lying. Who are you, really?"

Subscribe to Hero for Hire for weekly updates!

Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:12 am
Carlito wrote a review...

Hello again!!

After this segment I have questions galore.

So when Eli's mom calls (love that he talks to his mom!) she heard about what happened to Atlas on the news. So how exactly did this go down? Was he outed as Pyro on the news? Did he actually die or not? What exactly does the mom know? What information is actually out there? At first I thought she knew Eli was also a villain until he explained that a little more. And I might have asked this question in a previous segment, but how much does the general public know about this hero villain business? I'm guessing it's common knowledge that there are heroes and villains because Sebastian is outside the villain circle and he knew about the existence of Pyro. So what all does the general public know?

I like that Eli thinks about getting out of the business at this point. I know from the novel description (and based on the cryptic things Atlas said) that there will be no getting out, or it will be super super hard to get out. Poor Eli.

And whoa. I didn't realize that Sebastian didn't know that his roommates are super villains. How does he not know or not put it together? He almost doesn't seem shocked enough or freaked out enough. Maybe he's just so confused he's angry or something? I like that he confronted Eli at the end but it felt a little out of the blue. Has this been festering for Sebastian for a while or did this all start to click for him after what happened last night?

Looking forward to seeing how Eli is going to handle that direct question! As always let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like feedback about something I didn't mention, and I'll skip on over to the next chapter! :D

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:49 am
Lauren2010 wrote a review...

Awww mom to the rescue! <3

Okay, I just have to love on how Ohio so much of this chapter is. The setting, the suburbia and farmland and soybean fields. Ugh. It made me miss home. There's something about that just-on-the-cusp-of-fall time of year that Ohio just has down pat.

I love that Eli has a moping tree, and that he's being real with himself about his emotions and his limitations. I also love that his mom reached out to him when she heard about his friend, even though she doesn't know about the villain stuff. I love that she's worried about him. I have a tendency to write...complicated parent child relationships and a lot of the stories I read also have those, but it's beautiful to read about one that seems to be working right. Thank you for giving us that!

This might be another thing I'm mis-remembering, but I'm surprised that Sebastian didn't already know about Eli and Atlas being villains?? I thought they were all roomed together because they were all in the Program together. That changes a LOT about Eli unloading onto Sebastian the night before, and though I might remember a mention of him not knowing about the Program I think you can play that up a lot more. We should know the risk of Eli confiding in Seb. It'll show us just how distraught he is that he spills his guts.

Otherwise, this was a top notch end to the chapter! I love a good "tell me everything" end-of-chapter hook, and you never fail to deliver on the action or the tension. I can't wait to read more!

Thanks so much for sharing, and keep writing!

--Lauren

Sonder says...

Thanks so much for the review! :D

Mea wrote a review...

Hey Sonder! I think I've finally caught up now, so yay!

He'd never realized that moving only three hours away from home could be so hard.

Okay... this and his conversation with his mom hit home. Just because... literally today I said goodbye to my mom and the rest of my family. They left to go back home while I'm here for college, and they're a good eight hours away now and I miss them already. I really love that Eli has a good relationship with his mom, and not just a "we're fine with each other" one, but a genuinely good one. I feel like it's kind of rarer in fiction but I always love it when I see it.

The trick with good parental relationships to not make it feel super generic, and if I had some critique for you here it would be centered around that. Then again, I don't know how much more you can do here to make his mother stand out as a character, as her only role so far is typical worried-mother stuff (which is fine!). What does make this pretty strong is how clearly Eli feels *better* after talking to his mother and how she's clearly aware of his past problems - that's what makes it stand out, and what shows this is actually a caring relationship on both sides.

Also, his mother didn't mention if Atlas is confirmed to still be alive or dead either, and that just felt awkward because then when she asks how he's coping, I genuinely can't tell if she's asking whether he's coping with the severe injury of a friend or the actual death of a friend. Basically, we need it confirmed whether he's dead or not. xD

The park was an oasis, a circle of calm amidst it all.

A small thing, but the scene you just described is very tranquil, so although I guess you're referring to what's going on with Eli, it feels like it should be referring to the scene, and of course that doesn't really fit.

Finally, I sort of feel like, after the other "reaction" scene, this is a bit of another mostly-"reaction" scene, and that might not be the best pacing-wise? Possibly if you upped the tension a bit more at the end of the last scene, emphasizing the drive to know or to at least move, it would help the balance a lot, or if you had him go and do something before going to his moping tree (I loved that line) to sit and think.

So this was a bit uncertain and ramble-y, but I hope it gave you something to think about! Can't wait for the next part, and I hope it gets posted soon. :D

Sonder says...

aw, Mea, I feel that. Moving away from my family was so ridiculously difficult last year, and homesickness for a home that doesn't exist anymore is also so relatable, bc I left soon after we adopted my two new siblings. So my family was completely different, my parents were so busy, and I was living alone and navigating a new space. I read your wall post and I hope that you feel better. Know that things will improve, it may just take some time. <3 I hope college is a fantastic experience for you and that you experience so much growth! You can do it. <3

I'm glad you like the exchange with his mom, and I agree that it feels generic at the moment. I wasn't sure how to fix that until you pointed it out. Do you think that if I changed it to a video chat, possibly with his dad in it too, that that could add characterization simply through physically seeing her and describing her interactions with him when she sees him? (Like I was thinking, maybe she'd spot the bruises/ split lip/ bags under his eyes and be like, "ELI. When did you last shower? GO SLEEP. Who hurt you???" plus cute couple interactions with the two parents and their kid.) Idk the more I think about it, the more I think that a video call could make that scene a lot stronger, but we'll see!

anyyyway yes the Atlas situation needs to be resolved, and I definitely think that that can be fixed by adding in Eli calling the hospital/ checking the news in the last section. For now, I may just use an Author's Note to out and say what WILL happen in a future draft and move forward from there... haha here is where everything becomes a mess AND IT'S ONLY CHAPTER 4

oh well. thank you so much for the fabulous review! I definitely felt like this was my weakest chapter so far, but your feedback has really encouraged me in finding ways to fix it. Thank you again. /scatters affection and gratitude/ <3

Mea says...

Ooh yeah, I like the video chat idea! Physical presence adds a lot to a scene.

And thank you for the kind works, they really do help. <3

BluesClues wrote a review...

but is Atlas still alive

man you're really killing me here

ANYWAY.

Less to say about this section, because a) we talked about it in WFP and b) I think it's just really good. The conversation between Eli and his mom felt natural and gave us some good insight into both their relationship and more about Eli - like with his mom saying she didn't want him slipping again. It hints that maybe he's had some trouble with mental issues in the past or with trauma or even just feeling overwhelmed by things.

And this is a pretty darn big thing.

I also like Seb's appearance - I particularly love "classic moping tree" omg but his conversation really takes us from our inciting incident - Atlas' strange predicament and cryptic message - to what's probably going to be a little more explanation about Eli's job, the Program, and, because of that, the Main Plot. Or what to expect from the Main Plot, anyway.

I love this bit, especially that last line. What a pair we are, with our supposed-to-be-funny stories that turned out all angsty instead. But this line is funny at least lol.

Sonder says...

yeah so at this point I definitely think Eli should know that about Atlas, but I was too lazy to get into that SO THAT MUST BE FIXED

anyway

THANK YOU FRIEND for everything. sorry I keep spewing multitudes of gratitude but you help so much <3

BluesClues says...

omg I am totally fine with multitudes of gratitude bc they make me feel good

I mean

<333

Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:11 am
Nenchjre says...

Hello! I'm actually from Daejon, South Korea! It was sort of an added bonus when I read that portion of the older sister. I haven't exactly read all past chapters, but it seems like a good read. The dialogue has an easy flow to it. Your focus on the characters is also apparent. I also enjoy how you add detail to the setting and surroundigns, with the perspectives of the characters. This seems like something written by a professional, although I'm not a big fan of fantasy. Keep up the good work.

Sonder says...

Thank you for your kind comment! :)

Doubt thou the stars are fire, doubt that the sun doth move. Doubt truth to be a liar, but never doubt I love.
— "Hamlet," William Shakespeare