I'm Going To Be Gone Tomorrow

by Sometimesinbetween

“I am going to be gone tomorrow,” the young prince informed his one and only confidante, the palace cook. She had looked after him since he had been a wee lad, mothering him and patching him up when he scraped his knee and so forth. Eric loved her as he would his mother, whom he had never known, having died soon after giving birth to him. His father had been much to busy to bring up his little son. So his care and instruction had fallen to the servants. Of course he had had the best tutors money could hire, and in truth, they probably would have given the service without so much as a penny or a word of complaint. For young Eric was a brilliant child and a pleasure to instruct. And you can’t dismiss the honor of teaching the king’s son. But the elderly cook had been the most devoted.

“Where are you going?” she queried, slowly stirring a bubbling pot of something with a heavenly scent.

“I don’t know. Anywhere further than ten miles,” he replied with a snort of disgust.

“Do you have an objection to the surrounding ten miles?” she asked, slightly raising her eyebrows.

“Not particularly. I just don’t want to be here, that’s all.”

“You’re being evasive child,” she said “Come, tell me what’s on your mind.”

“The royal advisors have invited all of the ‘eligible’ young ladies here for me to get acquainted.” Eric ended with another snort and rolled his eyes heavenward. The eyebrows went up a notch. A small knowing smile slowly spread over her features.

“What I don’t understand, Elsie, is why I must choose a bride, or rather have one chosen for me. Do men really need a woman in the way? I have absolutely no interest in the female race, and never will!” he ended on a triumphant, superior note, as if all married men were unbelievably stupid.

Old Elsie’s eyebrows rose to unbelievable heights. She slowly nodded then burst out in a high cackle. “I understand boy, to think they force such things on children at your age.”

For indeed Eric was all of twelve years old. But, according the nobility, the girls and their families needed time in advance to prepare.

“You may go wherever you like as long as you take someone with you.”

“You won’t tell anyone?”

“Nay lad, I won’t tell a soul.”

ashleylee wrote a review...

This sounds like an opening to a longer story. It caught my attention and I think you should continue with it. The only thing I read was that it was kind of the same old story. Usually its the princess that doesn't want to marry but you twisted it just a bit. That was good, making him a prince instead. I think, however, you should twist it even more to make it unique.

Just a thought! :) However, I liked it and think you should continue it.

Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:28 am
vanmahoney wrote a review...

I really like how (at least to me), the ending implies that the cook knows the prince will change his mind and/or not actually go through with it. It was a very nice story overall, and all the nitpicky stuff has already been covered, so I won't bother.

Keep up the good work!

blacktiger3915 says...

I liked the Scottish language in the story. Yes, please space, but other than that, keep writing! :D

KJ wrote a review...

Hey. I see that this was posted a while ago, but I'm going to comment anyway. I thought that this was a pretty good start. I liked the quirkiness of it. There's a light tone in it that I enjoyed. I was actually interested. There's good character development in there.

The only thing I did not like was the information we were given in the beginning paragraph. Perhaps you should make it clear on who took care of the boy and brought him up gradually through the story. Putting it right there in the beginning dulled the shine a bit.

Write on.

Whisper91 wrote a review...

Just to let you know, I don't read other peoples reviews or critiques. I only read the original and then critique. All of my input, comments, corrections, etc are in braces, so watch for them.

“I am going to be gone tomorrow,” the young prince informed his one and only confidante, the palace cook. She had looked after him since he had been a wee lad, mothering him and patching him up when he scraped his knee and so forth. Eric loved her as he would his mother, whom he had never known, having died soon after giving birth to him. His father had been much to busy to bring up his little son. So his care and instruction had fallen to the servants. Of course he had had the best tutors money could hire, and in truth, they probably would have given the service without so much as a penny or a word of complaint. For young Eric was a brilliant child and a pleasure to instruct. And you can’t dismiss the honor of teaching the king’s son. But the elderly cook had been the most devoted. {With the last three sentences, I have two possible explanations for what you did: 1.) you mistakenly started three sentences with conjunctions, making it look as if you don't really know how to fix run-on sentences, or 2.) you created three sentences with beginnings that speak of a writing style. I assume you did the latter, so I'm not going to critique. (It was awkward when I read it the first time though, so you might want to change it. It came across to me something like this: "For. . . . Aaaaaand. . . . Buuuuuut. . . .", sort of like a kid trying to stretch out some not so good news.}

“Where are you going?” she queried, slowly stirring a bubbling pot of something with a heavenly scent. {This would be better if it went something like: ". . . stirring a bubbling pot that wafted a heavenly scent."}

“I don’t know. Anywhere further than ten miles,” he replied with a snort of disgust. {OK, two paragraphs ago you were writing about how pleasant the boy was, but all the reader has seen of him is enough - well - to give "a snort of disgust." If you're going to introduce a character with an attitude or a problem into a story, you should explain why he is like that, instead of letting the reader guess his way along. You wrote about why he was pleasant; now, write about what is making him un-pleasant.}

“You’re being evasive child,” she said{,} “Come, tell me what’s on your mind.”

“The royal advisors have invited all of the ‘eligible’ young ladies here for me to get acquainted{,}” Eric ended with another snort and rolled his eyes heavenward.
{¶}
The {cook's} eyebrows went up a notch. {I knew these were the cook's eyebrows only after reading the next sentence. Be clear as to what or who is doing this or that.} A small knowing smile slowly spread over her features.

“What I don’t understand, Elsie, is why I must choose a bride, or rather have one chosen for me. Do men really need a woman in the way? {You shouldn't have a plural of "man" without a plural of "woman." Do men get "a woman"? Or does man get "women"?} I have absolutely no interest in the female race, and never will!” he ended on a triumphant, superior note, as if all married men were unbelievably stupid.

Old Elsie’s eyebrows rose to unbelievable heights.
{¶}
She slowly nodded then burst out in a high cackle{,} “I understand boy, to think they force such things on children at your age.”

“You won’t tell anyone?”

“Nay{,} lad, I won’t tell a soul.”

It was enjoyable. Keep it up!

Azila wrote a review...

Hi there and welcome to the YWS!

Nitpicks first.

She had looked after him since he had been a wee lad, mothering him and patching him up when he scraped his knee and so forth.
Meh. Get rid of the "and so forth" instead I'd use another example... maybe something like, "She had looked after him since he had been a wee lad, mothering him and patching him up when he scraped his knees and skinned his elbows."

But the elderly cook had been the most devoted.
This seems a little out of place in the context. Maybe try, "But of all the servants, the elderly cook had been the most devoted."

she queried, slowly stirring a bubbling pot of something with a heavenly scent.
Elaborate here! Talk about the scent more in the air--that would be good for description too. Is the scent blown by a gently wind that blows the window shades or confined in a small space? (I'll talk more about this after the overall section...)

“The royal advisors have invited all of the ‘eligible’ young ladies here for me to get acquainted.”
Shouldn't it be "for me to get acquainted TO/WITH?" Also, "advisors" should be "advisers" ^_~

I have absolutely no interest in the female race, and never will!” he ended on a triumphant, superior note, as if all married men were unbelievably stupid.
The "h" in "he" should be capitalized.
--------------------------------------
Overall, your dialogue and characters are very good, and your style kept me reading, (good job!) but I definitely agree with Saint; starting with an info-dump isn't the best (and actually is one of the worst) ways of getting your reader's attention. Maybe start by just pulling us in with your dialogue then giving us all the detailed information in a later chapter?

Also, there really isn't any description--visual or anything else. What is the kitchen like? Is it a hot, steamy basement room or a open, breezy happy room with lots of windows? And what about your characters? All we know about the cook is that she is old and has very mobile eyebrows. ^_^ Is she fat? Skinny? What about her hair and complexion? Same goes for the prince.

Other than that, good job! I'd like to see more of this. PM me when you post more... or if you have a question about the critique or the site in general.

Hope to see you around! :wink:

~Azila~

Teague wrote a review...

Hello there! Haven't seen you around before. My name is Saint, welcome to YWS, and I shall be your critiquer today! :D

“I am going to be gone tomorrow” the young prince informed his one and only confidante,

There should be a comma after "tomorrow" and is confidante a word? Meh.

She had looked after him since he had been a wee lad, mothering him and patching him up when he scraped his knee and so forth. Eric loved her as he would his mother, whom he had never known, having died soon after giving birth to him. His father had been much to busy to bring up his little son. So his care and instruction had fallen to the servants. Of course he had had the best tutors money could hire, and in truth, they probably would have given the service without so much as a penny or a word of complaint. For young Eric was a brilliant child and a pleasure to instruct. And you can’t dismiss the honor of teaching the king’s son. But the elderly cook had been the most devoted.

Most of this is info dump -- throwing exposition in your reader's face all at once without any sort of solicitation. It's best to just say the facts relevant to the bit you're talking about and not give your reader so much exposition at once. Also, stuff like this should really be shown through action rather than told through lecture.

*Random note* Your word choice seems pretty good.

Anywhere further than ten miles.” he replied with a snort of disgust.

That should be a comma after "ten miles."

*giggles* This is good characterization. More of this please and thank you.

“You’re being evasive child.” she said “Come, tell me what’s on your mind.”

Should be a comma after "child" and a period after "she said."

Hmm.. this would be nice if it was longer. You have a good writing style (when you're not info dumping) and I'd like to see more of this story. Please tell me there's more? Your writing is fluent and easy to follow, and your dialogue seems natural and fresh. Keep up things like that -- I can tell you're too good a writer for info dumps.

PM me if you have any questions.

-Saint Razorblade
The Official YWS Pirate :pirate3:

the morrow says...

You may want to space out your paragraphs for easier readability.

Gahks wrote a review...

Presumably this is set in Scotland judging by the dialect.

This looks like the opening of a story and it's a great one for a first-timer. Although I love the character development, I would now like to see more action to hook the reader and engage their interest. Watch your punctuation in places, and whenever you have a new speaker, remember to start a new paragraph. E.g.:

"Where are you going?" she asked.

"To the shops."

Excellent start otherwise. Well done. 8/10

:D

If all pulled in one direction, the world would keel over.
— Yiddish proverb