Mature Content

A Childhood Lover

by SocialSuicide107

In that small, little house it was cold like a corpse despite the fact that summer was only days away. The bright blue of the walls were as tainted as the stains on their carpet and the smiling faces did nothing, but emphasize the loneliness that was deeply rooted at the bottom of her cluttered soul. Charlie sat alone with only a brown paper bag in her hands. It was late, the night growing shorter and shorter as was her strength. She pulled a clear bottle out of the bag and traced the pretty, red letters. Has it really come to this? Charlie thought. Knots tightened themselves inside her stomach and chills tickled her spine. In the back of her mind, she knew the little bottle wouldn't save her from the loneliness or the pain, but for a moment it would numb the feelings, and that would have to be good enough.

She took a long swig from the bottle, letting the burn slowly descend down her throat. The taste was awful, but it did the trick. Charlie took another drink and stared at the large TV in the center of the room as scenes from her favorite movie flickered across the screen. Two young lovers were torn apart by fate, but eventually found a way back to each other. Charlie envied the couple from The Notebook and cried every time she saw Noah with the other woman, aching in a way that had become familiar to her.

Over and over, Charlie watched the movie until the sun peeked into the conor of their windows. The edges of her vision was becoming blurry as the room became lighter. With tiredness at her shoulders and vodka in her stomach, Charlie could barely keep her eyes open. As she slipped into forgetable dreams, she could only think of Noah. When she woke again, Charlie was no longer sprawled drunkly on the couch, but being carried to their bedroom. Her head was aching, but she ignored it, enjoying the rare warmth.

It felt like only seconds when the warmth disappered, the arms tucking her into bed instead. Charlie opened her eyes cautiously, even though she already knew who was saving her. The familiar stranger had black hair so dark that you could see tints of purple and blue when the light hit it just right. His face was in a straight line and looked much older than 26. The knots in her stomach tightened themselves even more, though not from his touch. He wouldn't look at her.

Without thinking, Charlie reached out and cupped his face in her hands. "Drew?" Her voice was just above a whisper.

In that moment, Charlie never felt her heart break as much as it did when Drew looked into her eyes. In those eyes there was worry, a gentle concern, and even guilt, but what she had been serching for had disappered. "Yes, Charlie?" He whispered in a strained voice.

Trembling, Charlie pulled a beautiful golden ring from her left hand and placed it in his. She fought tears, and the feeling that the knots in her stomach had become so tight she could no longer breathe. Chocked by the pain, there was no way she would have been able to form words. Her heart was breaking, but Charlie knew that time could not heal all wounds, nor bring back what she had been searching for in those eyes. It was gone forever.

Shock hit him first, clear on his face, but was quickly replaced with sadness. He looked as if he had failed, and, in some ways, they both had. Tears filled his gray eyes. "You'll always be my best friend."

Charlie nodded, tears spilling from her own dark eyes. "I know."

He hugged her tightly. "I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry, Charlie."

For just a moment, she clung to him, feeling weak and venerable. He had always been the stronger of the two; he was the one saving her even when they were just kids. Charlie couldn't remember loving someone as much as she loved Drew. She knew in her heart that she could make him stay, that Drew would put her happiness before his own because he did, in fact, care for her, but that would be selfish and cruel. If Charlie were to make him stay, she knew he would grow to hate her and she would ultimately lose him altogether. Drew no longer loved her and they both knew it. Taking a deep breath, Charlie let go and gave him the best smile she could give. "Goodbye, Drew."

He gently kissed her forehead. "Goodbye, Charlie."

Within seconds he was gone, taking all the warmth with him. There was a sickening chill much worse than before cutting Charlie with sorrow and raw pain. It cause a sob that boiled from the bottom of her soul and retched itself to the open air, echoing throughout the house. It was deep and filled with an emotion Charlie didn't even know was inside of her. Tears pooured out, soaking her pillow and hair. It was almost unbearable, but she had to embrace it. For a short moment, just a blimp in time, Charlie allowed herself to feel. Deep in her bones, in the darkest corners of her soul, she allowed herself to feel, she allowed herself to cry, and she allowed herself to mourn for her lost love.

Once the tears came to an end and the sorrow subsided and buried itself next to the loneliness, Charlie found herself even more exhausted than before. She snuggled deep into her bed, alloowing the tiredness to take over. It wasn't until she was just about to fall alseep that she felt it...hope. It was small and fragile, but there just the same. If Drew wasn't her Noah, than he was still out there somewhere. This was the end to something beautiful, but it also was the beginning of something better. Charlie clung to that hope and allowed it to fill her, bringing with it some peace to her broken heart.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:35 am
LacyRayne says...

This is really good! But i must ask, what made you want to write something like this? Is it personal to you? I really love it, you're a good writer!

Thank you! It was kind of created by the feeling of losing someone very close and important to me. I've never been married, or been through exactly what Charlie was going through, but the feeling of losing someone is similar.

Thu May 30, 2013 1:25 am
speakerskat wrote a review...

Hey social suicide.

This was really tragic and romantic . It really describes what happens when you "jump the gun" in a relationship. I did that and found out I didn't really like my boyfriend, I actually liked most of my guy friends better. I just didn't realize what I wanted in a person until now . It's kind of sad to see other people like that because I know if I tell them, they won't believe me.

I for one loved the names and felt it was very tragic yet romantic and beautiful and really gave a good life lesson. BE FRIENDS WITH THE PERSON FOR A WHILE BEFOR YOU DATE THEM. No, the actual lesson was know what you want and don't make something out of nothing.

Really good!
~Kat

Mon May 27, 2013 3:49 am
KatieHope wrote a review...

Why? Why would-? Why? *bangs head against wall* Maybe I'm not deep enough to understand why she returned the ring, but in any case, I loved this! It was so intense and romantic! It was also heartbreaking, which makes me almost glad the characters weren't developed more on account of my tendency to become attached and start shipping fictional relationships... which if you continue this story, I will be happy to do.

This was elegantly written, with just enough fluff to make it memorable but not enough to make it annoying and difficult to read. What I'm trying to say is: excellent job. Keep writing.

Mon May 27, 2013 3:40 am
Frayer wrote a review...

Hi! Awesome work!

I really liked the concept of the story.

The imagery was just amazing. I could picture myself sitting right next to charlie in that dark living room.

I picked up some foreshadowing when I read that Charlie was watching the notebook which I haven't seen in most of the stories that I have read on here. It's nice to always see something different.

I also got butterflies waiting for what Charlie was going to tell Drew the suspense was perfect. I didn't find the names thing to be a problem.

The title was a little misleading at first but I got it towards the end. I only found few spelling errors which is always a great thing!

Please keep up the good work. I really wanna read more from you in the future.:)
-Frayer

EnigmaticSpirit wrote a review...

TheGoonerGirl here to review your story!

Wow. Just wow. That's all I can say. This piece has so much emotion and imagery that you really feel as though you are there. I feel so much sympathy for Charlie and it's saddening to see where she's heading. It's almost as if I am really seeing through her eyes. You've shown your point and warning fantastically and you have a beautiful writing style!

There is one tiny bit that I'm going to pick out (Picklesole and AnoymousPerson have already picked out the others) but other than that, it's flawless:

Knots tightened themselves inside her stomach.

In my opinion, the themselves make the sentence flow go off path a little and I'd exclude it, but you're the writer, not me.

Other than that, I loved it. It's a fantastic and beautiful piece that I really enjoyed reading. I was hooked in from the starting sentence to the finish. It's one of my most favourite stories on here and I want some more from you! You have another follower on here!

Please write some more! Pretty, pretty please?

AnonymousPerson wrote a review...

Nice story although I noticed several typos. I found it confusing with the names, isn't Charlie a boy name and Drew a girl name? The setting was described nicely and the characters were a little vague. At first I wasn't sure what that bottle was but then i got it. It was sadly nice and depicts many people who don't know what they are doing with their lives and end up getting hurt.

Both names can be used as a girl name or a boys name. And thank you that's kind of what I was aiming for. The whole not knowing what they are doing and gettin hurt thing.

MindBlown wrote a review...

Hi socialsuicide,

This was a extremely emotional and powerful piece of work! I loved reading it and it was a great piece of work.

"In that small, little house, it was cold like a corpse despite the fact that summer was only days away."

This line was a great hook, it made the reader want to read on. The simile was just amazing.

~MindBlown

Picklesole wrote a review...

Hello! Wow, what a powerful piece! The emotion was awesome, maybe really sad, but awesome. I really like how she compares her favorite movie to her own situation, it makes it more dynamic. I have a couple nitpicks, however.

It seemed like you were in a rush typing this, because you missed a lot of letters and it was a little distracting. There were also a few grammar mistakes, like putting a period instead of a comma, or forgetting to capitalize.

It was late. the night growing shorter and shoter as was her strength.

This sentence confuses me. I'm pretty sure you meant to put a semi colon instead of a period, and you missed the "r" in "shorter", but the last part is a little confusing. Strength doesn't grow shorter (that in itself is an oxymoron but that's the English language for you), but it can get weaker or dissipate. So I'd recommend either finding a different wording than "shorter", or making it a separate sentence.

Actually, the beginning is my main problem. It's very cluttered. Try to have a clearer introduction, I couldn't focus on any sentences for some reason. Actually, it may be because the of the first sentence.

In that small, little house, it was cold like a corpse despite the fact that summer was only days away.

Take out the first comma between small and little, and also I'd recommend taking out one of those words because they mean the same thing, so it makes it redundant. Also, "cold like a corpse" is a very overused simile, I would try to find something else to introduce your piece with. Last thing; I would recommend taking out "the fact" because it adds nothing to your sentence, and it be a more concise without it.

Other than those things, I like this! My favorite part is the ending, it has so much emotion and imagery. :) Alright, have a nice day! :)

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same.
— Kurt Cobain