October

by Snazzy

(A/N: I haven't written in a long while. Instead of being greeted back like an old friend, I feel like my pen is writing something completely stupid on paper. (Even writing this author's note is difficult to word.) This is a little snippet, however, that I wrote last night. I don't know what it is. I don't know how it got there. But it's something, and I'm wanting to know if this idea is one worth chasing after or just to simply discard. October is the main character's name as of now, and I didn't really know how to title this snippet anyway. Thanks! ~Snazzy)

-

-

-

I think to how I laid in bed earlier for 2 hours and 16 minutes and just was. I breathed, blinked, and existed, but that was it. And looking back, it felt so good.

The rattling sound of a doorknob sends my dusty bag of bones in to a panic as it jolts me from my thoughts-

in, 2, 3, 4

H O L D.

out, 2, 3, 4.

I am okay again.

It was just Annie coming back from the store. Her body emits energy and a, a, willingness? No, a sort of satisfactory peace or something. I think about it and try to sort it out, but my head keeps jumbling words up making everything seem like a puzzle I don't have the pieces to.

Annie stares at me for a second before saying, "I'm back", as if it weren't already obvious.

I nod curtly and let my gaze travel down to find my book of uncolored pictures I forgot I was holding. What if they liked the way they were? The drawings, I mean. What if they wanted to stay black and white?

I scold myself for being so stupid.

The coloring book is an inanimate object with no feelings, thoughts, or emotions whatsoever. For a second, I think how nice that must be.

To not be loved.

To not be hated.

To not breathe.

Or hold my breath.

To just be or simply,

to

exist.

Elinor wrote a review...

Hey Snazzy!

I'm Elinor, here to give you a review. Congratulations on getting this out after not writing for a while! It's definitely something to be proud of.

What I like about this piece is how simple it is, and yet how it still conveys a lot. I like that it somewhat blends the line between poetry and prose as well, with the central metaphor of the untouched coloring book. There are a lot of questions I have, and I think that if you wanted to expand this you're in a good position to do so.

I want to know a little bit more about October and what she's going through. Why is she lying in bed? Is she sick? Depressed? Who is Annie to her? Why did she pick up the coloring book?

As I mentioned, your use of this metaphor makes me think of a lot, personally. Black and white is easier to understand. Black and white still has unlimited potential, it hasn't become anything yet. How do these ideas relate to what October is going through?

I can tell you're a good writer, and a good position to make this work. Hope this helps, and feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions!

Snazzy says...

Thanks for the review! Those questions are really helping me fill in some holes I have. Thanks again! :)

Que wrote a review...

Hey Snazzy! Nice to see you back. :)

I really like the style of this, mostly because it's sort of poetic for a short story. I'm glad that you're working on writing again, even if your pen is being stubborn. And if you like your idea, then it's always worth pursuing, in my opinion!

Maybe it's because you wrote this at night (I know I always write wacky sentences when I should be sleeping instead of writing!) but there are a few places where the wording doesn't quite flow. I'll just point out a few of them, because in a work this short, it's probably a good idea to do some fine tuning.

I think to how I laid in bed

Laid should be lay, because laid is the past tense of lay (like to lay something down) and lay is the past tense of lie (as in a person lying down, which is what you want here!). Also, maybe you want to say "I think about how..." because to me at least, that just sounds a bit more natural.

sends my dusty bag of bones in to a panic as it jolts me

Here, I think "in to" can just be "into", and it might fit a little better if you said, "into a panic, jolting me" -- eliminating the "as it jolts" makes the sentence move along a little better. :)

emits energy and a, a, willingness?

I'm not entirely sure why you italicized the second 'a' here? My personal preference is to make it look something like, "a... a willingness?" but however you want to do it is up to you. The two a's with the commas does look a little bit odd, though.

Okay, so I really like the feel of the piece. I'm not sure where you were thinking about going with it, but I liked the thoughts on just being, as well as inanimate objects. There are some things that don't quite fit in, though, or at least not yet. In the beginning, there was:
And looking back, it felt so good.

The narrator, October, doesn't really seem to be in a position to be feeling good. She (I assume it's a she?) panics when someone is at the door, and contemplates simply existing. I think it might be less about feeling good and more about not feeling bad for once. Maybe that's not what's going on, but that's the impression I get, so I think she'd say, "And looking back, it felt a lot better than anything else in my life." Again, not sure what her background is or where you're going with this, but it was just a little thought I had.

I also like the little descriptive bits you have -- like the specific 2 hours and 16 minutes, dusty bag of bones, the italicized counting/breathing, the puzzle metaphor, and the poetic lines at the end. I think that those things are very lovely and poetic, but you could use a few more... narrative things? More like some background, setting the scene and the characters so that it has a little bit more of a prose feel despite the more poetic parts. You don't have to extensively describe the location or anything, but a brief sketch of the characters or scene might be useful. One word or two to reveal a bit of Annie's relationship to October, even if it only mentions that they're sisters or friends or something.

Overall, I really like the message of this! It would be cool if it expanded and went somewhere, but it's nice the way it is as well. I especially love the way you were able to convey October's feelings -- goodness knows I've thought about that before, and that's exactly what it's like! Good luck in your future writing endeavors. Hopefully my suggestions didn't put you off of writing or anything. :)

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Q

Snazzy says...

Thanks so much for the review! I should probably stop writing at night, but that%u2019s when the best ideas come! (it%u2019s 1:30am here, woops)

restlessheart14 says...

Hi there :) Restlessheart here,

I think this piece is pretty profound from the get go, I think it is an interesting concept...
Although I'm not sure where you would go with it and how you would develop this idea into a possible plot. I'd be curious to see more work from you in regards to this "just being" idea.

Don't forget to keep writing even when it gets hard ;)

Snazzy says...

Thanks! I figured if anything I might be able to go off of that idea. Thanks again! :)

Plus, we offer technical support for your convenience.
— nasstands (likely a spambot, but a polite one, eh?)