z

Young Writers Society



Band is Family

by Snazzy


There are days when I am beaten. Days where I am almost broken. Days where no matter how hard I try, everything I do is a mistake. There are days when I feel like a mistake. Not many can tell, but I am hurting inside. I can mask my pain and fear just as well as anyone else can.

There are days when I have to drag myself up for school in the mornings. Days where I'll study as hard as I can, and barely manage to pass. I'll muddle through my work, doing, doing, doing, but not feeling. I have days where I'm numb to the world around me.

And on those days, when I walk into the band room (earlier than anyone else), I'll sit in my chair in the very front row, smack dab in the middle. I'll get my things ready to play, still trying to wake myself up.

My director walks in, smiles, and asks me how I'm doing. I'll answer truthfully. It has been okay. Not horrible, but definitely not perfect either. He'll nod and smile, and then others will start to flood into the band room.

I can't help but smile when one of the saxophones cracks a joke. Someone walks up to me, and asks how my cross country meet went. I'll tell them it was fine - I didn't get a personal record, but I wasn't horrible either. They'll congratulate me.

When everyone gets settled, we'll start playing. Our director cuts us off, providing some feedback. We'll play again, and we're better. We're listening to each other, blending and balancing, not only with sound, but with emotion as well.

And suddenly, my bad days begin to melt away like ice cream.

They didn't melt away because we played better. It was because we connected with each other that I began to feel better.

Outside of band and my own family, no one goes up to me and says I'm important. I have value. I matter. They assume that because I am generally a happy person, that I don't want to be told that. They assume that since I get good grades and don't get mad often that I don't need encouragement or support. They assume that I live a flawless life because of how I appear.

But in band, people let me know that I am important. They don't just say it, they show me I do by how they act. Upperclassmen let me know that I matter, and that they are impressed by my passion. Freshman and eighth graders slowly befriend me, no matter how anti-social I can be. My director puts up with my band and music rants, no matter how repetitive they can be.

My days aren't brightened by how good we are as a band. My days aren't brightened because I feel like I'm great on my instrument, and want others to see me perform well.

My days are brightened because of how close-knit we are. My days are brightened, because every time I walk into the band room, no matter how rough a day it has been, I know that these people will be there to back me up every step I take. My days are brightened because these people care.

Band isn't just an extra-curricular activity. It isn't just another class. I've grown so much in the past four years I've been in band, and these people have seen me through it. These people aren't just my friends. They're so much more than that.

They are family.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
95 Reviews


Points: 31
Reviews: 95

Donate
Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:20 am
View Likes
BeTheChange wrote a review...



I'm not in band, but I needed this reminder: The value of an activity is in how much fun it is, not how good you are at it. So, thank you for giving me this message. It's a valuable lesson for anyone. :D
On to the actual piece. I think (earlier than anyone else) should be kept in there, because it shows your passion, but the parentheses are jarring, out of place, and should be taken out.
Also, in the last line, "are" doesn't really need to be italicized.
Overall, an above-average piece with a couple of stylistic choices I didn't care for.




User avatar
524 Reviews


Points: 7146
Reviews: 524

Donate
Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:58 am
View Likes
felistia wrote a review...



Hi, Felistia here with a review for you on this wonderful day. :D

Overall thoughts

Story plot: This was a very uplifting story and the ending just made me smile. I liked how you worked through the emotions and that it was consistent from one emotion to another. Over all I can't really say much about the plot since it was fairly simple. You worked in the emotions really well and I could feel this characters wet, soggy feelings.

Description: The only problem that I had in this story was that I was expecting some beautiful descriptions on the music, but there was practically nothing. I highly recommend adding in some descriptions of what the music was like. Ever simple descriptions would do. Was is a band with drums, trumpets and guitars or did it have violins and harps. And what did this music sound like. Was it a fast beat or was it a more lonesome melody. You could also include how all the people play in time and how they are relying on each other to keep in time with one another. Just little bits like this. After all your story was about the band class, now make me feel like I'm right there. :D

Overall this was a great story and I look forward to the next one. Never stop writing and I hope you have a great day\night. :D

Your friend, Felistia. :D

This review courtesy of Image




User avatar
766 Reviews


Points: 650
Reviews: 766

Donate
Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:04 pm
View Likes
Brigadier wrote a review...



Hey there Snazzy Pencil. It's just Lizzy dropping by real quick, so without a further ado, let the reviewing begin.

One quick note though. I had to be on mobile for this review so it's not going to be very long. Also exscuse any typos because of my stupid mobile keyboard.

I wasn't in band very long because you know, I move every couple months. The few months I was in band, were the best months of my life. It was the one period of school that wasn't absolute hell for me. That was the one place where people wouldn't judge me by my appearance. So what I'm trying to say is that it was a very heart warming piece for me to read and now review.

One thing that would usually bother me, is the one selected line of italics. I usually like the use of this style but that's sort of because I've seen it messed up so many times. Hey, at least you didn't use any all caps spots. Sorry if that sounds a bit weird but I'm trying to write more understandable, kinder jokes into my reviews.

So I'm not quite sure what to do here because I've already covered most of my point. You proofread pretty good so I'm really thankful for that. Yay no spelling or grammar mistakes or typos.
*throws confetti instead of three lines of ranting*

Some parts of the flow messed me up a bit. It was like you were switching from step by step to reflections. It was just a bit annoying in my mind because you were switching the style of presenting the idea. I'm not really sure where I was going with this but I sort of wanted to point it out. It just bothered my mind a bit. I hope those few lines of pretty much nonsense made a teeny tiny little bit of sense for you.

Well this was a bit shorter than I intended. Hmm. Guess I better be getting on my way. Hopefully one of these comments will be of some use to you in some way.
Have a nice day.
Happy RevMo.
Lizzy
The Queen of the Book Clubs





A diamond is merely a lump of coal that did well under pressure.
— Unknown