z

Young Writers Society



Out of my head

by SmileILoveYou


Blank pages,

I can't put a single word down.

I write my best after a long conversation

in person

with you.

Of course a majority of my poems revolve around you.

I write about your adorable big forehead,

and how you can't stand still for five minutes.

I write mostly about the times when we're standing in line,

and you fidget and whisper to people in the other lines.

They get so pissed because we're at band competition and we have to stand still with a straight face.

How could I not write about you?

How could I not write about the first time you touched me and whispered that I was ticklish?

How could I leave out the little moments when you break down your barriers and let me see the real guy that you are.

How do you get under my skin

fog up my brain

and make me blush

just with a smile?

I hate you.

I really, really do.

You effect me this way,

and you feel nothing.

Hope you are happy,

Forgetting me,

While I can't seem to get you out of my head.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1334 Reviews


Points: 25864
Reviews: 1334

Donate
Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:33 pm
Hannah wrote a review...



Girl, lemme show you the moments of purity in this poem:

I write mostly about the times when we're standing in line,

and you fidget and whisper to people in the other lines.

They get so pissed because we're at band competition and we have to stand still with a straight face.


and

How could I not write about the first time you touched me and whispered that I was ticklish?


But they are way hidden under a bunch of stuff you don't need in a poem. First of all, why do you need to say things like "I think" or "I write", when we know it's you who is writing the poem? Write only about the subject matter and leave yourself out of it. We know it came from you.

That said, you need to build the scenes in the two pure moments I mentioned.

Show me the place where these people are waiting in lines. Show me the lines and how far they are from walls and how tall the ceilings are and where the lights are and how it feels to have to stand still, and then show me this guy whispering. Tell me how his breath feels and smells and the texture of the air in an unfamiliar school. Give me sights and sounds and lights and tastes, not just explanations. I want to feel along with you. That's what poetry is for. Not just telling me what you think, but making me feel the exact same way you did in that moment, BECAUSE it is possible through good poetry.

Now, you might be thinking, how can someone else feel exactly the way I did? You use clear descriptions, evocative language, and metaphors and similes that bring the unfamiliar close to the reader through a middle man. Like if I don't know what it feels like to blush as his voice, compare it to something I do know, like the way a flower petal falls off a rose with hardly a touch when the rose is dead -- just how easy that is. I know what that feels like, so now I know what it's like to blush easily at him. See what I mean?

Work hard at poetry and you can improve. Keep writing, 'cause if you don't you won't get better.

Please PM me or leave me a wall post if you have any questions, 'cause I don't get notifications to replies in this thread. :)

Good luck!




User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 623
Reviews: 15

Donate
Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:27 am
Maddymayhem wrote a review...



I find it extremely hard to read a poem like this because it isn't written in any form. You should try to write in like an AABB ABAB ABAC form and break it into stanzas (:




User avatar
1259 Reviews


Points: 18178
Reviews: 1259

Donate
Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:05 pm
Firestarter wrote a review...



Hey SmileILoveyou,

Typo: effect should be affect.

Look, this is a poem only because it looks like a poem. There's not much else that makes it poetic. It's lacking a lot of what we typically think of in poetry. It is certainly therapeutic to get these things down, and I've written many poems like this, about the difficulty of love/lust.

For the reader, though, we get little from it. You're navel-gazing. You're writing about how you feel, and that's nice for you, but it doesn't leave me with a lot except to think "Yeah, I remember feeling this way about a girl." But poetry is a two-way process. You want to communicate something to your readers, and you should be doing it in an interesting, unique way in order to capture our attention.

I recommend for your next poem trying to write about something other than just how you feel. Of course, bring your feelings into it. Otherwise, your work will be dry. But present it to us in a less "I feel this, I feel that" way. Imbue your words with your emotions but don't let them dictate your words. Think about how you could present your ideas and words in a most interesting manner than you are at the moment. And last of all, you have to consider your rhythm and your metre. Like it or not, poetry needs to have some consideration for rhythm, or it loses a lot of its impact. I don't see anything in this effort which has that. Try reading poetry out loud to get a feel of how the experts do it.

Good luck.






I've been really trying to write lately, but when your muse is well, not being helpful, it gets hard. Thank you for your criticism. I'll use your tips, but as I said above, I'm finding it hard to get anything on paper.



User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 272
Reviews: 14

Donate
Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:33 pm
ThePretentiousEnema wrote a review...



Well, it's a cute poem. Remaining true to the issue of unrequited love. Or complicated love.

This is just me though, but I tend to find this structure a bit tedious. I mean I get why you did it, as this is more a piece of prose, than a poem. I'm dwelling in within that borderline myself, most of the time.

Alas, the tragedy of a shattered heart is a lesson we all must endure, sooner or later. It's tough, and hauntingly painful. It affects everything you see at the day of hand. I get it.

There's a very good song called "Black" by Pearl Jam. I recommend it highly to anyone with a little bit of love issues.

Find your therapy in the music.

Keep it real!






Thank you for your honesty, I've been going through a rough time lately and I probably could not of picked a worse guy as my muse. I know my writing and its structure is becoming more and more bland, but I guess I'm just trying really hard to hold onto something that just isn't real anymore. I guess I just don't want to admit it to myself.




WHAT'S UP, POTATOES?
— Rudy (Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality)