z

Young Writers Society



Untitled

by Skye


Light.
It fell on a quivering, sensitive mouth.
Lips.
Lips were mouthing words,
Words I did not want to hear.
Pain.
Absorbing, beautiful pain.
Pain eased itself through every pore in my body.
It tore at muscles, lungs, heart.
It heated my senses until they burned like fire.
I could see nothing but that round, gorgeous mouth talking,
Saying those words I wanted to hear least.
I was falling.
Falling into an abyss of desperation and contempt.
Darkness fell.
The light was gone.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
455 Reviews


Points: 22098
Reviews: 455

Donate
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:26 pm
Hijinks wrote a review...



Hi there Skye! I know this poem is really old but I'm here regardless, courtesy of RevMo!

My favourite part of this short, bittersweet poem is definitely the imagery and emotion you convey through the language. Words like "quivering", "absorbing", and "abyss" all work really well to set the mood and tone of the piece. I also enjoy how you emphasize certain concepts by making a single word into its own line.

On a related note to those one-word lines, I'd like to mention formatting - specifically, stanzas (the paragraphs of the poetry world!) Right now, your poem is all one stanza. I think you could add stanzas to add to the effect of the one-word lines and add to the drama of the poem!

For example, you could divide it up something like this:

Light.
It fell on a quivering, sensitive mouth.
~
Lips.
Lips were mouthing words,
Words I did not want to hear.
~
Pain.
Absorbing, beautiful pain.
Pain eased itself through every pore in my body.
It tore at muscles, lungs, heart.
It heated my senses until they burned like fire.
~
I could see nothing but that round, gorgeous mouth talking,
Saying those words I wanted to hear least.
~
I was falling.
Falling into an abyss of desperation and contempt.
~
Darkness fell.
The light was gone.

(The publishing center can be finicky so to make sure the stanzas stay separated you can add a placeholder, like "~" or "-", to keep them apart!)

That's definitely just one way you could choose to divide the poem up ~ the main thing to keep in mind is that stanzas are used to show where one thought/concept/idea stops and the next one starts! The way I've demonstrated using stanzas would work well to emphasize the words "light", "lips", and "pain", like I mentioned earlier.

Another thing I'd like to mention is repetition. The way this poem is worded, sentence structure and vocabulary is repeated a lot, and some of it is unnecessary/weakens the delivery, so I've pointed out a couple spots where you could play around with it a little to see how it affects the flow of the poem!

Lips.
Lips were mouthing words,
Words I did not want to hear.

could become something like:
Lips
Were mouthing words
That I didn't want to hear.

Pain.
Absorbing, beautiful pain.
Pain eased itself through every pore in my body.
It tore at muscles, lungs, heart.
It heated my senses until they burned like fire.

could become:
Pain,
Absorbing and beautiful,
Easing itself through every pore in my body.
It tore at muscles, lungs, heart,
Heating my senses until they burned like fire.

Hopefully that makes sense - the point is to eliminate any unessential repetition of a word (usually a noun), since the more a word is repeated in a poem the less meaning or effect it has upon the reader.

I was falling.
Falling into an abyss of desperation and contempt.
Darkness fell.
The light was gone.

^I like how you end the poem, it feels very finished and dramatic! "The light was gone" is so heavy and almost theatrical and just, I don't know, I think it works really well to bring the poem to a close!

Overall, I love how you convey emotions throughout the poem, and the imagery you use adds to the overall mood. My main suggestions would be eliminating repetition and looking at stanzas! I hope this is useful (if you ever even read it!) and if you've got any questions feel free to ask :)

whatchamacallit


Image




User avatar
19 Reviews


Points: 181
Reviews: 19

Donate
Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:26 am
ghost223 wrote a review...



Hey there! Ghostie here to review this wonderful piece of art THIRTEEN YEARS after its creation!

I'm going to pick apart your poem line by line, but judging by what I've just read, there won't be much to pick at, so without any further ado, let's begin.

Lines One and Two: "Light. It fell on a quivering, sensitive mouth."
Yes, I see the light brings attention to this mouth not just to the readers, but to the creator, yourself. You see this mouth as a beautifully shy object.
Lines Three, Four, and Five: "Lips. Lips were mouthing words, Words I did not want to hear."
Not only the mouth, but the lips specifically, are being tended to. Why? What words does this person say? More importantly, what don't you want to hear?
Lines Six and Seven: "Pain. Absorbing, beautiful pain."
I don't understand why you've used the word "absorbing," here. Is the pain being absorbed or is the pain the thing that is absorbing? Be mindful of your commas here. :)
Line Eight and Nine: "Pain eased itself through every pore in my body. It tore at muscles, lungs, heart."
So did it ease its way in or tear its way through? Or did it Ease at first, then resort to violence?
Line Ten: "It heated my senses until they burned like fire."
I get the point is to be intense but, this sentence doesn't actually make any sense.
Lines Eleven and Twelve: "I could see nothing but that round, gorgeous mouth talking,
Saying those words I wanted to hear least."
Again we focus on the beauty of their mouth and we are still blind to their words. Please, enlighten us.
Lines Thirteen and Fourteen: "I was falling. Falling into an abyss of desperation and contempt."
Okay...But how does that relate to anything?
Lines Fifteen and Sixteen: "Darkness fell. The light was gone."
Again, this has nothing to do with the rest of the poem.

Comments from me, personally:
I think this was an amazing poem that had a certain lyrical rhythm to it and flowed very nicely, but half the time, it didn't make sense. That being said, it could use a little bit of work. I really enjoyed this piece.

Overall...8/10. Not bad at all! Keep it up, you amazing, beautiful writer! <3




User avatar
253 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 253

Donate
Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:59 pm
View Likes
CK Lynn says...



This was very interesting. I liked the kind of ryhthm to it.




User avatar
72 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 72

Donate
Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:16 am
A.O. Avalon says...



oooh, I was just thinking "shot" would work better, but "knifed" is great! Bravo!




User avatar
145 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 145

Donate
Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:49 am
View Likes
Skye says...



Thanks for the suggestion, you two. Reading it over again carefully, i can see what you mean.

REVISED:

Light.
It fell on a quivering, sensitive mouth.
Lips.
Lips were mouthing words,
Words I did not want to hear.
Pain.
Absorbing, beautiful pain.
Pain knifed through every pore in my body.
It tore at muscles, lungs, heart.
It heated my senses until they burned like fire.
I could see nothing but that round, gorgeous mouth talking,
Saying those words I wanted to hear least.
I was falling.
Falling into an abyss of desperation and contempt.
Darkness fell.
The light was gone.




User avatar
488 Reviews


Points: 3941
Reviews: 488

Donate
Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:41 am
View Likes
Meshugenah wrote a review...



i agree with the eased thing, it just doesn't sound quite right.

your poem could represent how any person can feel at any time (some are more likely then others, of course!), and i like that. all humans feel that way at some time, a sense of despiar, and kudos to you for being able to convey that into words!




User avatar
72 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 72

Donate
Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:39 pm
A.O. Avalon wrote a review...



Pain eased itself through every pore in my body


Eased isn't working for me... It's too gentle a word, it doesn't fit with the rest of the images.

A tad repetative, but c'est la vie.

I like the ambiguity. This could be about a girlfriend, or lover, but you don't really know for certain, so it could be a doctor or mother or teacher or friend... just someone with bad news.





"In my contact with people I find that, as a rule, it is only the little, narrow people who live for themselves, who never read good books, who do not travel, who never open up their souls in a way to permit them to come into contact with other souls -- with the great outside world."
— Booker T. Washington, Up From Slavery