Say Good-Bye to the Music Man

by Skye

in your mind,
jagged melodies are cutting
themselves to pieces
while a senseless snarl of sound
disintegrates into lilting lyrics and
bass-lines that reverberate in
your chest cavity.
in your mind,
lips rasping against a
cold microphone is music
unto itself.

in my mind,
i take a moment to rewrite
another one of our conversations
but ghosts of melodies you whispered
to me long ago keep interrupting.
in my mind,
thoughts are made of
fragmented words and stolen songs
while your thoughts i can never begin
to capture with my own.

Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:25 am
Revere says...

I just wanted to say how brilliant your rhythm and flow is! I read it out loud, and the words just slipped off my tongue. It flows so perfectly that it feels almost slippery to read. Great work!

Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:13 am
Doubt says...

Perfect description that matched the concept imaculately. Good job.

Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:37 am
xanthan gum wrote a review...

This is beautiful. And the "volume" that timjim speaks of was at the perfect level for this poem. I'm just a mediocore range, but this was soft, gentle, graceful - everything I wish I could write. As also was warned, just don't let out attention dwindle. I almost came close, but the writing was too good, so I didn't this time.

Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:12 am
timjim77 wrote a review...

Loved the use of alliteration. Don't see that often any more.

Poems have volumes. Sometimes you will read the first line of a poem, like Dylan Thomas' Do Not Go Gentle into That Goodnight, and the volume is turned up all the way. But here, although you have very nice imagery, and some good language, the volume is low. Low volume is not always a bad thing, but if it's too low it can slide under the radar. i think that is the case here. Reading this poem, you can kind of glaze over, because it is very gentle. If it were bad, it would stick out at you. But, you want your good writing to stick in people's minds. Revise this, keeping in mind that you want the poem to be strong, while maintaining all the original gentleness. That's a tall order, but I think from reaing ythis you will be able to meet it.

Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
— Captain James T. Kirk