Really Short Short Story

by Skye

This is the true definition of a "short story." Read and enjoy. I appreciate any and all critique, so don't be shy!

Author's Note: This was written for my Reading class last year. We had to write a Utopia paper, and this was it. If the list of rules seems a bit out of place, then just know that I had to fit that in somewhere, so bear with me. I'll probably fix it on a later revision.

A rose-petal morning rose over the Nightlands. As the sun began its ascent, its warmth spread over the land below. But even the power of the sun could not warm the empty waste that was the Nightlands. The sun rose up higher and higher, leaving the stagnant waste behind. Then the sun, once again, shone on the Spire of Hope. The blindingly white tower shone out like the first star ignited in the Beginning. Its smooth sides were now on fire with reds, pinks, oranges and yellows; then the image passed. Now it was just a tower, faded and weary with night and evil coiled at its feet, waiting to spring. Masked now, the only light it had was gathered up at a large crystal at the very top of the spire. The tower looked like a cloth thrown over a lamp. But all was not lost. The tower was searching for the one who could lift the cloth, so that the spire could shine out always. But without this one person, the Nightlands would prevail, and the Spire of Hope would disappear completely into the murky dark.

***

Noldee was scouring pots – again. Her hands were red and raw and the front of her tunic was bespattered with water stains and soapsuds, but she still had another pile to go. She hated the rules. When she closed her green and grey-specked eyes, she could seethe large marble plaque beside the Hall’s doors. It read:

Rules

Set down by:

The Master

1) No swords.

2) No animals

3) No one from the Outside allowed Inside.

4) No one from the Inside allowed Outside.

5) No one allowed on top of the Spire of Hope.

These were just the major rules. There were minor ones too, such as: no sliding on the banisters, no resting when you should be working, no lying, no cheating, etc. Minor infractions resulted in Kitchen Duty. Major infractions resulted in exile from the Spire of Hope, where she lived.

The lights flickered. They had been doing that a lot lately. Some said it was because the Nightlands were overrunning the Crystal. Some just said that the Crystal was running low. What if the Crystal, one day, just ran out? It can’t run out – the entire Spire’s existence depends on it! The Crystal is the energy source for entire tower. Without it, the Spire of Hope would fade away.

Noldee had finally finished the dishes and was getting ready to leave for the night when the Master’s messenger sauntered into the kitchen. He was wearing the black velvet robe accustomed for the Master’s personal servants. He had pale skin and eyes and greasy-looking hair that was the color of Noldee’s dishwater. In a pompous voice, he declared, “Noldee is to report to the Master immediately.” Her stomach dropped through the floor and her heart stopped beating. The clattering of pots and pans and the chattering of voices stopped as all eyes turned to look at Noldee. Reporting to the Master meant only one thing – exile.

Dumbly and with heavy footfalls, she followed Greasy-Hair out of the kitchen and into the echoing hall beyond. What had she done wrong? Okay, she had slid down the banisters – again. And she had gotten caught and been put on Kitchen Duty – again. What had she done differently this time? Were there only so many times that you could be punished for minor violations before you were sent away?

She was now standing before the Hall doors. The messenger left her then. She watched him go around the corner, half expecting him to turn around with a bright smile and say, “Just kidding!” He didn’t. Noldee turned back to the doors, and with a deep breath, pushed them open.

The inside of the room was made of black marble. What Noldee noticed when she first stepped shakily into the room, however, was the aura about the place. The atmosphere was thick and stifling, yet there was and electric charge in the air. “Welcome, Noldee.” She cringed as the voice sliced through the heavy air and assaulted her ears. “Come, walk towards me. Don’t be afraid.” The room was darkening before her eyes now, and lightning flashed under her lids.

“Where – where are you? I can’t see anything,” Noldee sobbed fearfully, groping with hands outstretched in front of her. All of a sudden, a pair of cool dry hands grabbed her own clammy ones and pulled her forward. With the touch of those hands, her head cleared and she could see clearly again. The man who had called her at first and who had pulled her away from the doors was standing before her. He was short, but broad shouldered. His hair was as black as a raven’s feather that had grey streaks that showed his age. His face was stern, his square jaw adding to this image, but he had smile lines at the corners of his mouth and flint-grey eyes. He had tucked his hands into the sleeves of his long deep-purple velvet robe that swept the black marble floor.

“You – you’re the Master?” Noldee cried in amazement. No one had looked upon the Master before – or at least no one had looked upon the Master and lived. She was really scared now.

“Do you know why you are here? Do you know why the entire Spire of Hope depends on you?” His voice was kind, but strong. The entire Spire? Need me? That’s impossible! Nobody needs me – has ever needed me. The Spire was perfect; it was the ultimate place to live.

He must have seen the question in her eyes as she looked up at him, so he said, “You must have noticed the blackouts and power surges we’ve been having over the last few weeks. And you also know that our Crystal is our single energy source and life source. Without it, we are doomed to be wisps of ghosts and ghouls wandering the Nightlands forever. I know, powerful words,” he said gently at the fearful look on her face, “but nonetheless true. Our Crystal’s power is waning. The blackouts are proof of that. That is where you come in. I have reason to believe that you, Noldee, have the key to the Crystal.” He looked at her questioningly, as if she was supposed to know exactly what he was talking about, procure this device immediately, and solve his problem.

“I’m sorry to disappoint you, sir, but I can honestly say that I don’t know how to help you,” she spoke haltingly, not wishing to upset him. It must be a mistake – it had to be.

“At least come and see the Crystal,” he begged, his calm face cracking and showing the desperation underneath. “Our lives depend on it.”

Looking at his truly hopeless face, she said, “I suppose it wouldn’t do any harm to take a look.”

“Oh, thank you, Noldee! But I must warn you first: you will experience a feeling much like you felt when you walked into this room.” With a growing sense of unease, she followed the Master to a winding staircase at the back of the Hall. It went up and up, to the ceiling of the chamber. With heavy feet, she climbed up to the very top, eyes fixed on the hem of the Master’s sweeping robe in front of her. Above the Master’s head was a trapdoor, which he unlocked. After he had climbed up, he reached a hand back to help her up.

As she stepped up onto the very top of the tower, the immense power of the Crystal fully hit her. Its magnitude roared in her ears, but unlike in the chamber below, she could see clearly. Directly in front of her was the large Crystal, nearly twice as tall as she was, and three times as wide. It was a magnificent gem, cut and polished to perfection and pulsating gently with an inner light.

Against her will, Noldee was drawn towards it, step by faltering step. She was a yard away from it. Now she was only an arm’s length. Here she stopped. Slowly, she circled the gem, as if in a trance. Again, she came to a stop, and knelt down. Reaching under her shirt, she pulled out a sliver of what appeared to be glass on a chain. Gently, she placed the sliver at a crack at the very base of the Crystal.

A thundering “Crack!” was heard. Noldee’s hair stood on end and a fierce, but beautiful pain filled her body. It was magnificent, overpowering, electric, and penetrating, all at the same time. After some time, she realized that she had her eyes clenched shut, so she opened them. Around her was pure, white light. It took her a while to realize that she was inside the Crystal. But, strangely, she wasn’t scared. In fact, she was exhilarated. She was free: from the world, from pain, from sorrow. She was free.

The Master sat up from where he had been lying prostrate on the ground. Walking over to where Noldee had last knelt, all he found was the little sliver of glass, which actually turned out to be a part of the Crystal that had been chipped away. Picking it up, he tucked it deep inside the folds of his robe, and turned to walk solemnly back through the trapdoor and into the gloomy chamber below.

***

There was a beam of light shining up out of the Crystal and overflowing out into the lands below. Anyone watching would have seen the glow rinsing the dark land of its stains, leaving behind it green valleys and sparkling rivers. The sun glowed with a new strength, the earth was emerald-green and rich, and the rivers ran with rainbow-scaled fish. The land that had been under the sway of evil for so long was finally free. A breath of wind rose up and blew the last clouds hovering on the horizon away into the depths of the sapphire sky.

Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:19 pm
TakeThatYouFiend wrote a review...

I thought that older works must be sadly under reviewed, so I'll write one...
This is a lovely plot idea, but it feels rushed, as if you can't wait to write the next development. I only mention this as I think it is a flaw in my own work.
You left the reader with a bad picture of the master. At first he sounds like some sort of dictator, but then he seems ok? Even if this is on purpose I still think it needs a little clarity.
However, you do get a good idea of the main character, thanks to little points like the bit where she admits to sliding down the banister.
You seem to be a little worried about the list-don't be, it's fine as it is.
Hope this is helpful
Take That You Fiend!

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:36 am
Rosan wrote a review...

This is interesting.

Prokaryote says...

This is four years old, people. O_O

Prokaryote

Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:04 pm

The description is good. But...is there a point to this?

Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:36 pm
Lady Kyra wrote a review...

Very interesting. I can see how the theme of "Utopia" plays out, but I had a few problems reading it. First of all, please space your paragraphs more. I found myself reading and accidentally skipping lines and having to go back to read them.

A rose-petal morning rose over the Nightlands. As the sun began its ascent, its warmth spread over the land below. But even the power of the sun could not warm the empty waste that was the Nightlands. The sun rose up higher and higher, leaving the stagnant waste behind.

"Rose-petal morning" and "stagnant waste" are very nice. Very descriptive. The paragraph reads a bit awkwardly though.

The only other thing I had a problem was the portrayal of "The Master". In the beginning you portray the master as a very strong and formidable man. However, when Noldee (cool name, by the way) meets the master, he seems very broken down and emotional. I don't understand that in the least. Perhaps fix the dialogue a bit?

I would like more description in the end, but I understand the need for shortness (I know, not a word) in a short story for school. My teachers after put page maximums on their assignments specifically for me.

All in all, well done. I'd love to read a longer version.

Aedomir says...

I'm sorry, but its jsut too hard to read. The colour and no space between paragrahps hurts my ese, please alter it!

deleted6 wrote a review...

First thing posting a poll on story, people don't like it much. Now on with critique. You're main problem it seems is repeating words so closely together. This distracts from flow. I liked idea but would of wanted to know more about place. Not enough is told. It ended good if not confusingly. We never got clear idea of the heroine appearance. I like how ya described the greasy hair. The master himself is weak, as his emotional changes aren't realistic. This could be so much more brilliant if worked on. The potential strikes you in the face. Just need to work on it. Overall pretty good work on less telling and finding other words so repition is not a problem.

Good luck
VSN

Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:37 am
Pickle810 says...

Did you base this partly on the book "City of Ember"? The plot seems similar.

Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:53 am
DarkerSarah wrote a review...

A rose-petal morning rose over the Nightlands.

I really like "rose-petal morning" but I don't think you should use "rose" twice in that sentence, even though their denotations are different.

You have a lot of well-worded sentences in here, and for a very, very short story, the plot moves along well. It's hard to develop characters, situations, and settings with so few words.

There were minor ones too, such as: no sliding on the banisters, no resting when you should be working, no lying, no cheating, etc.

No "etc." It sounds unprofessional.

I think your main problem is just a few awkwardly worded sentences or phrases, such as "rose up higher" (rose higher) and "What Noldee noticed when she first stepped shakily into the room, however, was the aura about the place." (Here it would be better to say "the place's aura.")

Good luck rewriting this!
-Sarah

Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:07 am
Skye says...

Thanks a bunch for the reviews! I'll answer your questions now and I'll work on revisions ASAP.

Length: My paper was actually the longest in the class!

Description (or lack thereof): Looking back, I agree with the need for more description. The problem with me is that I have this awesome mental picture in my head, but I don't do a good job transferring it onto paper.

Crystal: The Crystal is the energy source of the Spire. Without it, the Nightlands would prevail.

Spire of Hope: Basically this one good place among all bad (the Nightlands). The "Utopia" we were supposed to write about. You know how we wrote this for reading class? Well we had just read the Giver! Nicely spotted Sam! :wink:

I will work on writing more/rewriting it. As soon as I have anything postable (and a whole lot clearer!), I'll, well, post it! I really appreciate the reviews, you three! :D
Thanks for making my day!

Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:47 am
Sam wrote a review...

I thought it was OK, but you need to be more descriptive. I like Greasy Hair, but especially the crystal needs some description. I was expecting this huge paragraph for the crystal but....it wasn't there. I have no idea what the crystal looked like except it was bright and it was about Nolee's hight, which we have no idea of, either.

*

With the old guy, at first he seems very stern. Then, he's having this breakdown. What is up with that? Old, powerful guys do not have breakdowns, especially this character you've set up here. You say, at first, when she goes into the room, that he looks strong (emotionally, not physically!) but then, five minutes later, he's begging her to come help her with this crystal thing we have no idea about. Help us out there!

*

Questions- how did she get inside the crystal? How did the guy end up on the floor? WHAT IS THIS CRYSTAL THING? I'm still guessing, even up to this point. Not good, for a story this short. The last couple of paragraphs are very, very confusing. You need to clear these up, because the reader should not be going over whole sections just to find the answer to one question. I'm sorry, but we shouldn't have to do that.

*

I thought the rules were a good idea...but what is the Spire of Hope, exactly? Is it like an orphanage or something? Clear this confusion up, too. Back to the rules...I thought they were quite cryptic, which is a good thing for what they are and what kind of story this is. :D It makes us think hard about what 'No one from the Outside can come in' and stuff like that. It sounds kind of like The Giver...which is a great book. :D

*

To sum this up, good job. Great idea, but it needs some major revisions. If you have more, I'd love to read it. :D

mphillips wrote a review...

I liked this alot. I want to know if you were told to make this so short for your assignment. It's good the way it is, but I think you could extend it with more description in the plot and make it awesome. It seemed a bit rushed or like you only had so much paper that you had to fit your whole idea on. But like I said before, maybe it was part of the assignment to make a real "short story." Good job. Anxious to read more or an extended version.

Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:27 pm
Firestarter wrote a review...

A rose-petal morning rose over the Nightlands. As the sun began its ascent, its warmth spread over the land below. But even the power of the sun could not warm the empty waste that was the Nightlands.

These two are very nice sentences, but I don't like the "Nightlands used twice". Try replacing the second into "could not warm this empty waste", so you are anaphorically referencing to the NIghtlands already said.

The sun rose up higher and higher,

Lose the "up" in this sentence, sounds better that way

the sun, once again, shone on the Spire of Hope. The blindingly white tower shone out like the first star ignited in the Beginning.

"shone" is used in following sentences, try using a different verb for a bit of variety.

Now it was just a tower, faded and weary with night and evil coiled at its feet, waiting to spring. Masked now, the only light it had was gathered up at a large crystal at the very top of the spire. The tower looked like a cloth thrown over a lamp. But all was not lost. The tower was searching for the one who could lift the cloth, so that the spire could shine out always. But without this one person, the Nightlands would prevail, and the Spire of Hope would disappear completely into the murky dark

Excellent. Nothing to suggest here, very good!

These were just the major rules. There were minor ones too, such as: no sliding on the banisters, no resting when you should be working, no lying, no cheating, etc.

I don't personally like etc..! But that's just me.

I liked it. Wanted to read more though! I was just getting into the excitement of it, and it finished! Good build up though.

There are some examples of telling rather than showing, such as the "Rules part" possibly my least favourite part of the story. But I think it fitted the story well, except perhaps the break up of text with the 5 main rules being read out. Perhaos you could make this into a paragraph rather than a seperate list?

Anyway, good, this is a promising story, like to see more of your stuff!

A good artist should be isolated. If he isn't isolated, something is wrong.
— Orson Welles