Home » Literary works » Poetry » Other

Haiku: Insanity

by Skye

Cool and refreshing
As a smooth, cold spring in June,
Insanity reigns.

Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:53 am
Mysticalxx says...

Nice haiku! When I first read the second line, I thought you were referring to the spring SEASON, but then I got it! :D So, you've made good usage of vocabulary, and the syllable count is right! Insanity does reign. :D

Keep it up! Write more haiku! Fun fact: The plural of haiku IS haiku. :P

Mysticalxx

Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:57 pm
Sassafras wrote a review...

Hello, Skye!

Wow, this is the first haiku I've seen today that is an actual, proper haiku. Congratulations, dear. What I love about this is the message that it's sending across. Insanity isn't always as chaotic as people sometimes like to assume. Sometimes, insanity is calm and more of a slow and sweet coercion than a violent, chaotic possession.

Insanity reigns.

There's an abrupt tonal shift here which makes this haiku great.

Simply, I really like this. You did a great job with this haiku, Skye.

-ReiseP

Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:24 pm
Niraco wrote a review...

I have just started reading Haikus and have noticed that they seem very hard to pull off. I must say you are managed to do so.

Cool and refreshing
As a smooth, cold spring in June,
Insanity reigns.

I had to read this a few times in order to fully understand but it was still enjoyable. I felt that the subject matter was slightly confusing as the first two lines were in contrast with the ending. All in all I really enjoyed this haiku and felt that it was very unique and unusual. Great job and happy writing!

Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:02 am
Crysi wrote a review...

Yay! I'm a huge fan of haikus, as they are difficult to pull off well. Plus, they're so much fun to write! :)

Anyway, I just have one TINY suggestion. Maybe instead of the comma at the end of the second line, you could put a dash, since the last line seems like more of the complete thought instead of a continuation of the previous lines.

Overall, lovely picture! Well done. :) And you managed to fit the traditional usage of nature into it, along with a not-so-traditional observation. I like it a lot.

Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:31 am
Shine says...

Well done!

Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:57 pm
Swires says...

Nice work - haiku's have limitations and you did your best considering the Haiku limits.

Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:49 pm
looby-lou says...

Loved it. End.

x frm lucy

Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:14 am
Chevy wrote a review...

this poem was short, quick, easy-going and i liked it...the words flew together well and the shortness of it was excellent considering that you explained all that was necessary to be explained/conveyed in just those three lines. but hey, sometimes that's all you need is that three lines.
anyway, good job...short poems rule.

Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.