z

Young Writers Society



Racing

by Siobhanoshea


Racing

A small thing. A reminder of a task I have forgotten. A request maybe, please do this, another new thing I don’t have enough time for. A question, why haven’t you finished that yet? It’s almost too late now. Because I couldn’t. Tick tock.

And suddenly it’s a big thing. On your mark, get set, go. You hear It coming well before It hits, but already it is too late. You freeze, and yet you are already running. Running desperately, as fast as you can, but stuck. You feel It now. Closer.

It approaches slowly. It has all the time in the world. It knows that It will catch you. It is calm, and when it arrives, you will be anything but. Slowly, slinking forward. You are petrified. Stock still. You are receding, fading. You do not breath. If you could stop your fluttering heart you would. Stay still, maybe It won’t see you. Don’t move, or It will hear you.

All this time you have still been running and now weakness threatens to slow you down. As your stamina dissipates, your heart pounds. Stop! It will find you! Your breath is heavy, Your shoulders strain up and down with it’s weight. Stop! It will see you moving! But you must run because It is almost here. The lights shut off behind you. Dark comes closer. Then come the lights above you, and now, those in front of you. Click. Too dark. Can’t see. Trip. Now it has you.

All at once. Nothing- full to the brim. Still- racing. Quiet- screaming.

Everything that you are has fled. No thoughts, none at all. But somehow you are hyper-aware. Adrenaline pounds through you. Consumed by a primal fear. The terror is all encompassing and some ancient instinct triggers a physical awareness usually reserved for near death situations. Every fiber is awake and buzzing with a terrible energy. Tunnel vision. Distorted - looming images, once familiar and comfortable now drip with garish colors. Soft, every day sounds shattering your eardrums. The gargantuan waves pummel the shores, eroding your sanity with their terrible force.

You are curled up. Rocking. Back - forward - back - forward - back. Clicking your fingernail against any hard surface. Tap. Tap tap. Tap. Tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap. Drill the rhythm into you, cling to in desperation, the only thing you can control as everything spins out wildly, crashing around you; the scene becomes more terrifying as they fall.

Lost the race. Again.

There will be another soon and already you are tensed at the start line; on your mark, ready to spring forward. Yes, the race will come again. We will never outrun it forever. Never be completely safe. Because this track is a circle and it is inside our heads.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
878 Reviews


Points: 35199
Reviews: 878

Donate
Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:57 pm
Demeter wrote a review...



Hey, Siobhan! Welcome to YWS!

You created a truly great atmosphere through the words. I really enjoyed reading this, because it's so accurate - I love it when I read something that makes me go "Yes! That's exactly what it is like!" And this piece really did. You seem to be quite a talented writer. :)


Your breath is heavy, Your shoulders strain up and down with it’s its weight. Stop! It will see you moving! But you must run because It is almost here. The lights shut off behind you. Dark comes closer.


I bolded the "Y" in "Your", because I thought it was a bit strange - maybe it's just a typo? I mean, it doesn't start a new sentence, so technically it shouldn't be capitalised. And yeah, "it's" should be "its", because you want to indicate possession. "It's" is a contraction for "it is", and it's only used when we mean "it is", never otherwise. One other thing - I thought "dark" in the last sentence sounded a bit incomplete... maybe "darkness"?

Otherwise, very well done. You did such a good job in describing anxiety and were able to make me feel it as well, just by reading the words you've written. Sorry this is so short, but I really can't come up with anything else to say!

Great job!


Demeter
x




Siobhanoshea says...


Thank you so much!
I do need to type more carefully, thank you for pointing that out, I didn't even notice either of those.
-Siobhan



User avatar
8 Reviews


Points: 578
Reviews: 8

Donate
Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:52 am
View Likes
AliceDreams wrote a review...



Wow, this is great! I actually felt like I could only let go of my breath once I'd finished reading. I've never had a panic attack, but the metaphors you used we're so convincing that I'm feeling like I might just have had one ( in a good way, of course). It was a little confusing at some points but I think this only added to the depth you've created in this piece, and the length overall was just right.
Thanks for posting! :D




Siobhanoshea says...


Thank you so much :)



User avatar


Points: 516
Reviews: 1

Donate
Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:40 am
View Likes
cbonfilio wrote a review...



I love this, truly. I dont know how much my review will help if at all, being as I am not an experienced writer, but I thought you should know that is is amazing to me. I understand it perfectly, perhaps because I suffer panic attacks also to the point that I often pass out and wake up sore drugged in my bed. Reading it I actually started to worry and had to remind myself that it is not me, I am home, calm and in bed. I dont think people understand how traumatizing and painful it can be, but obviously you do. Great job.




Siobhanoshea says...


Thank you. Really. I tried so hard to capture those crazy feelings, and it's wonderful to think maybe I did.




“Sorry about the blood in your mouth. I wish it was mine. I couldn't get the boy to kill me, but I wore his jacket for the longest time.”
— Richard Siken