z

Young Writers Society



Hurting

by Sins


This is a small section of one of the chapters of the story. I'll clear things up a bit :wink: One neighbourhood is poor and the other is rich. The two boys are real brothers, the reason that the dad treats the MC worse than the other brother is something to do with their mum, it's kind of complicated to explain here! Hope I helped a bit :wink:

My dad was coming to pick up Will and me at around eleven, so we had another hour, or so to do whatever we wanted.

"What's the deal with your mum?" Jade suddenly appeared in front of me.

"What the hell is it to you?" I said, annoyed with her.

"God, I just want to know." She sniffed.

"Bog off." I spat at her.

"How dare you do that, you disgusting pig?!" She yelped. "You don't act like someone from Amber Fountains at all, I mean look at what you're wearing!"

"Will is a right dick isn't he?!" I laughed, "We don't live in Amber housing estate."

"What do you mean?" Jade asked, not understanding. How could someone as thick as this go to a school like Amber high?

"We live in Crystal Fountains, for God sake!" I answered.

"What?! William said that you live in Amber Fountains." She looked angry.

"Well, Will's a liar, then, isn't he?! We live in Crystal Fountains, with all it's scrubbing glory!" I laughed as I turned away from her. I knew that Will would hate me for that, not that he didn't hate me already, but I didn't care. I also knew that Will would tell dad when we got back but I also didn't care about that although, I knew I would when we actually got home. I didn't speak to Jade Pritchard after that, I didn't speak to Will either. I stayed with Connagh and Sharky instead, they're both in my band. Sharky isn't his actual name though, I'm not sure what his real name is. Everyone calls him Sharky because he gels his blond hair up so it looks like he's got a fin on the top of his head. Connagh hasn't got a nickname though, neither have I. I was talking to Connagh about all of the diffirent ways you can cut a melon when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I sighed, it was probably Will saying that my dad was here because it was ten past eleven by now.

"Charlie Black?" The man wearing the suit stood behind me.

"Yea..." I answered, narrowing my eyes.

"Can I speak to you for a moment please?" The man had a posh voice.

"Sure," I shrugged, getting up off my seat.

The man in the suit led me to the lobby so I could hear him clearly where it wasn't too loud.

"My name's Edward Westwick." He begun.

"Mint." I answered not really listening to him much.

"Umm... okay." Edward Westwick continued obviously not very amused with my lack of interest. "I'm the head of performing arts in Amber Fountains secondary school. I was very impressed with the singing and dancing you were doing earlier."

"Thanks." I answered, smiling. He immediately caught my attention after he said that.

"I would like to offer you a scholarship for Amber Fountains secondary school," Edward Westwick said.

"Cool, thanks," I answered casually although I felt absolutely amazing.

"If you want to accept the scholarship then you must come to the school during the summer holidays to get a place." He said next. "Oh yes, you must also have a note signed by your legal guardian allowing you to attend the school."

The second he said that, my smile vanished. Like my dad was going to let me go to Amber high. I felt like a right prick standing there.

"Thanks." I said, trying to smile again.

Before I could say anything else, I saw Will coming towards me and he didn't look happy. He completely ignored Edward Westwick and grabbed my arm, pulling me towards the main enterance of the club. I didn't get a chance to say anything else.

"You are in so much trouble." He sniggered, laughing in my ear. "Dad's been waiting for you for quarter of an hour and don't worry, I told him about telling Jade where we live."

"Tell him I didn't." I begged, suddenly panicking. "Please Will."

"You should have thought of that before you told Jade then." He spat in my ear.

Oh God. My dad was going to kill me. Why had I been so stupid and told Jade the truth?

Will pulled me around the corner and the first thing I saw was my dad waiting impatiently in the car. The second he saw me, he began glaring at me. Oh God. I was terrified of getting into the car, I knew that my dad would be really angry. Will got into the car and I followed. I wasn't even properly in when my dad pressed his foot down on the accelerator. I had to close the door while the car was moving. As we drove past the clubs entrance, I realized that I had left my guitar behind. I was about to tell my dad but then I quickly stopped myself because that would just make him even angrier. I looked down at my hands. The were shaking wildly. My whole body was shaking wildly. I was absolutely terrified. Neither Will or me said anything on the way home. It was silent as the three of us entered the bungalow. I was beginning to think that maybe my dad had forgotten about me being late and maybe Will hadn't told him that I'd wrecked his chances with Jade. How wrong I was.

Will went into his bedroom and I was about to do the same when my dad grabbed my arm and pulled me into the living room. Oh God. I began shaking again. My dad held me up against the wall, still grabbing my arm.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" He hissed in my face.

"Wh-what do you m-mean?" I asked even though I knew the answer.

My dad shoved me harder against the wall, this time making me bang my head against it. "Do you know how long I was waiting for you?" He replied. "Fifteen minutes. Then your brother comes into the car and tells me what you told that Jade girl he likes."

He pulled his arm back and punched me like he had done earlier except this time he didn't let me go. I tried to think of something to say, the right thing to say, but I was way to panicked to think. I looked over my dads shoulder and saw Will in the doorway, smirking.

"Look at me!" My dad screamed in my face, punching me again.

I don't know why I did what I did next. I should have just apologized to my dad but I was too scared and seeing Will smirking int the doorway turned all of the fear inside me into anger. I somehow managed to push past my dad and run towards Will, before punching him as hard as I could on the nose, knocking him to the floor. That was the biggest mistake I had ever made in my life. The next thing I knew was my dad grabbing me and shouting in my face.

"How dare you!" My dad screamed.

He pulled back his arm and punched me harder than he ever had before, knocking me to the floor. He kept hitting me then and no matter how much I begged for him to stop, he wouldn't. He just kept hitting me and hitting me. Will had gotten back up by now and was watching his father beat up his brother on the living room floor. That was the first time in my life I wanted to die. I wanted to die and never have to wake up again. My dad kept hitting me. I didn't bother trying to get back up, there was no point. After what seemed like longer than a lifetime, my dad finally stopped.

"Will, get to bed." My dad said calmly, changing his tone completely.

I attempted to get up but I was too weak. My head was killing me and my whole body felt like jelly. I turned around so I was lying on my back, struggling while doing so. I lifted my shaking hand to my head and brought it back down to see it covered in blood as well as the sleeve of my shirt. I wanted to cry but I was to weak to even do that. All of a sudden, I felt my dads breath on my neck.

"I'm actually happy that your mother's gone," He whispered. "That way she doesn't have to see how much of a disappointment you are."

"I'm sorry dad." I suddenly burst out crying.

"You better be." He breathed in my ear.

My dad got back up, kicked my chest and left the room, slamming the door behind him. I couldn't cry before and now that I was crying, it felt like I would never be able to stop.

"I'm sorry." I whispered, my eyes overflowing with water.

Rating changed to R for language and violence.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
216 Reviews


Points: 9593
Reviews: 216

Donate
Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:25 am
asxz wrote a review...



Okay, here to review, as promised... yes, I know it's a little late; long story.

Well, it seems that Writewhatiwant and Dementer have gotten to all of the nit-picks, so I'll just do an overall review, pointing out some helpful hints.

1) Dialogue.
Okay, if you take a look at your first few paragraphs, you'll see that the first 10, may I repeat, 10 [excluding the first] are dialogue. now, you may not think that there's anything bad about that, and believe me, there isn't, but it's what you have after the dialogue that counts. There is one sentence after each of them, nothing to show the MC's emotions, his fear at telling Jade, how she looks, how she talks, her stance, his hesitation - knowing that he will get in trouble for it, what he feels as she walks away - dishonour, anger, satisfaction... now, I'm not saying that you should add all of this in, Heck, maybe not even half of it, but you have to say something at the end, and sometimes the beginning of each speech, otherwise it gets really boring for the reader; unless you want a fast paced action-filled dialogue, in which case you can forget everything I've said, and just have the words that they say.

2) Your first main paragraph.
Now, this is what gets me; you have ten lines of dialogue, and then you launch into a fully-fledged paragraph - explaining things that we don;t need to know [your friends' nicknames, the fact that you don't have a nickname... we don't really care, to be blunt] Now, this is a classic example of telling, and not showing. I noticed that you did a lot of this later in the story too; you tell us what you want us to know, giving no regaurd on what the reader hears. You shoud take a look around in the 'resources' area of this site. It's beeen created just to help you learn. in another way than someone reviewing your work. It has some good thing there, like good grammar, how to be descriptive, showing and not telling, apostrophes and commas, semi-colons, all you need to know. And what's best, they're all written by YWS citizens, which means that it's aimed at you and will most likely be easy to undestand. Enough rambling on, trying to sell you the resouces section, what I really son't like about your 'first main paragraph' is that it's a big chunk of writing after the smaller sentences that you open with. Break it up, keep to the TiP ToP, Time, Place, Topic, Person rule. That means that f you chage your focus on any of these things, you have to start a new paragraph.

3) Showing, not telling.
Okay, I mainly did this in the last part, but it deserves it's own section, with examples, like this;

"Cool, thanks," I answered casually although I felt absolutely amazing.


Yes, that's right. You say; 'even though i feel absolutely amazing', when you want to show the reader what is going on. This si when you put yourself in your characters shoes, and show the reader what is really happening. What do you feel? this is what i would put:

A surge of excitement erupted in my veins, and I fought hard to keep the heart pumping at a reseonable pace. This was it; I could finally break free of the roots that had tied me down for so long. I could rise up through the ranks, exceed my brother and make my fater proud of me. I thought all of this in a few seconds, all the while trying to keep cool. He couldn;t see how much of a dork i was. I needed this. "Cool," I paused, trying to sound non-chalant, and then i remmebered my manners; "Thanks!" I smiled gleefully, trying to look like I was a natural.

See that? You feel that characters thoughts, descisions. Do you feel like you know the character a lot more? I'm not saying that that's aperfect example, however, and it could still be improved much more.

4) My dad.

Welll this is a short one, an the last in my review. Every time your dad says something you follow it with "My dad" this, or "My dad" that. we know who's speaking, because it's already out there, in the situation. We know that it's going to be him who yells at you, so why not spare this space for something important, like the bulging veins on his forhead, or the rasping breath, or the wheezing sound that the MC makes when he can't think of anything.

Well, that's it. i hope you enjoyed it, and please, do check out the resources section.




User avatar
878 Reviews


Points: 35199
Reviews: 878

Donate
Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:01 am
Demeter wrote a review...



Hi, Megan! Here I am as you requested :)


My dad was coming to pick up Will and me at around eleven, so we had another hour, or so to do whatever we wanted.


I think this is a little too wordy to be the opening sentence. It would be better to start off simply, so I suggest you rephrase like this: "My dad was coming to pick Will and me up at around eleven. We still had an hour or so to do whatever we wanted." or something like that.


"How dare you do that, you disgusting pig?!" She yelped. "You don't act like someone from Amber Fountains at all, I mean look at what you're wearing!"


This seems to be a little overreaction to MC's words, especially when her last line ("God, I just want to know") seemed so martyr-like and somehow posh. Now it's very surprising to see her act like this. Also, what's with the whole look-at-what-you're-wearing thing? It comes kind of out of the blue.


"Will is a right dickcomma isn't he?!"



How could someone as thick as this go to a school like Amber high?


I believe, since it's the name of the school, you should capitalize "high" --> Amber High


Connagh hasn't got a nickname though, neither have I.


I think this is redundant information, so you can as well take it away.


He sniggered, laughing in my ear.

He spat in my ear.

He hissed in my face.

My dad screamed in my face

He breathed in my ear.


See? ;) You like to use this kind of definitions, but you can afford getting rid of some of them, can't you? After a while it might bet a little disturbing.


Well, I'll leave the nit-picks here, especially when many of them have already been taken care of. I'll just say a few words generally.

Overall, I'm afraid to say that it was the tiniest bit confusing. It seemed a bit rushed in places, and you also leave some threads untied. Although, it is a prologue's job to be confusing, haha, but I'm not sure if this even was a prologue? And besides, it could be a little more collected, because then when the reader keeps on reading, he'll have this unpleasant whuddidjusthappen feeling, which you don't necessarily want your readers to have.

It did have some good confusion, too, though.(Of course I don't mean that you should flat out every meaning of your story to the reader.) The good confusion was with the dad. It'll be interesting to find out why he seems to dislike the other boy so much, and you did a very good job describing the fight, because it actually made me feel really bad and sorry for the MC. :(

All in all, your writing is easy to read and your grammar is good. The biggest problem I think with this piece was the occasional confusion and some punctuation. These are luckily things that are easy to improve, so just write, write, and write and you'll be fine. :)

Hopefully I could help you, and see you around!


Demeter
xxx




User avatar
152 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 152

Donate
Sat May 30, 2009 12:10 pm
Musicaloo7311 wrote a review...



Hiya Megan! Sorry I'm a bit late- I've been very busy. :oops: Anyway, on with the review!


Grammar & Line-by-line Comments:

My dad was coming to pick up Will and me at around eleven, so we had another hour[s],[/s] or so to do whatever we wanted. This is your opening statement, no? It should grasp my attention! This was just eh. :)


"We live in Crystal Fountains, for God's sake!" I answered.


Woah. Huge paragraph! Let's fix this, shall we? "Well, Will's a liar, then, isn't he?! We live in Crystal Fountains, with all it[s]'[/s]s [<--No apostrophe] scrubbing glory!" I laughed as I turned away from her. I knew that Will would hate me for that, not that he didn't hate me already, but I didn't care. I also knew that Will would tell [s]d[/s]Dad when we got back, but I [s]also[/s] didn't care about that, either, although[s],[/s] I knew I would when we actually got home.
New paragraph here. I didn't speak to Jade Pritchard after that, and I didn't speak to Will either. I stayed with Connagh and Sharky instead[s],[/s]; they're both in my band. Sharky isn't his actual name, though[s],[/s]. I'm not sure what his real name is. Everyone calls him Sharky because he gels his blond hair up so it looks like he's got a fin on the top of his head. Connagh hasn't got a nickname though, and neither have I.
New paragraph here.I was talking to Connagh about all of the [s]diffirent[/s]different ways you can cut a melon when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I sighed[s],[/s] and knew it was probably Will saying that [s]my[/s]our dad was here, because it was ten past eleven [s]by[/s] now.


"Cool, thanks," I answered casually although I felt absolutely amazing. I'd like more description here.


He pulled his arm back and punched me like he had done earlier, except this time he didn't let me go. I tried to think of something to say, the right thing to say, but I was way to panicked to think. I looked over my dad's shoulder and saw Will in the doorway, smirking. You're just listing actions and dialogue, no emotion at all. Doesn't the MC feel something? Does he wish for his mother? Could you describe more things?



Language Usage & Writing Style: Okay, Meg. I think you used way too much dialogue in this and way too little emotions, feelings, imagery, and description. Your writing still feels a little premature to me, and I think that using the things you're lacking will help to improve it a lot.
Also, I think what you have in your dialogue could improve. Sometimes it feels a bit forced, so you should go back and re-read the story, making sure you have realistic dialogue.


Imagery & Emotion: You have to add more of this! :) Especially in the punching scene- it's very lacking in both departments. I want more description of the punches- how they feel, how they look to the MC (are they slowly coming at him, or flying-fists-o'-doom? :D), how they smell (does he smell sweat on his dad?), even how they taste (blood in his mouth?). Also, the emotional aspect of that scene. He just lists the scene off like a robot; doesn't he feel something? Does he feel sorry for himself, like he deserves it, what? Make this apparent to the reader.
That's not the only scene that could improve; it's just the most important one. ^^


Characters: Your characters. I'm interested in your characters and would like to find out their story, so good job on hooking me. I'd just like to see little actions that make them unique. Could you have Will and the dad do something body-language-esque to make the reader notice their intense similarity (if that's what you're going for), such as having a habit of cracking their knuckles, licking their lips, wiping their hand across their forehead often? (These are just suggestions. :))
I do think that bringing in so much description of Connagh and Sharky was irrelevant. Keep that minimal and let the reader figure them out later on by their actions.


Plot: I do like your plot, I think. It's still very unclear, especially with the needless dialogue and missing emotions & imagery. I think improving your writing style with the story will give the plot clarity and let the reader enjoy it. :D
I do like the idea, though.


Good work, White! Just heed the advice from the reviews, revise, and you'll have a quality piece!

Questions? PM me.

Love,
Music




User avatar
356 Reviews


Points: 10701
Reviews: 356

Donate
Thu May 28, 2009 5:20 pm
*writewatiwant* says...



I finished it, Megan! Just so that you would read the rest of my review ;)




User avatar
312 Reviews


Points: 6403
Reviews: 312

Donate
Thu May 28, 2009 11:57 am
Mars wrote a review...



Heya! It's well interesting to read fiction by you, as I think I've only reviewed your poetry? :D Also I'm sorry this is a bit late, I hardly check that thread [but I've been meaning to resurrect it anyway, so thanks!].

Anyway! As a general rule, if you have to explain what's happening in your story with an author's note, then you're not doing your job as a writer - that is, describing, letting the reader know what's going on. I know everyone rails against infodumping and long, boring backstories, but a certain amount of background info is totally necessary; I mean, I would have had no idea about the rich and poor neighborhoods and the brothers if you hadn't told us.

There is also pretty much no setting in the beginning. Okay, they're getting picked up, but where are they to begin with? Who is Connagh? Who is Jade? Actually, who is the main character, and why don't we know his name? What does everyone look like?

I think you have a great handle on the dialog and on the plot (by the way, are you continuing this? I think you should) but description is an absolute must. Without it the story is a skeleton, it's a good start but it needs to be fleshed out and padded with, of course, description so that the readers can actually get into the story.

Like when you were describing how he was terrified - his hands were shaking, etc, giving us a picture - that was good. Do more of that.

Good luck!
-Mars




User avatar
135 Reviews


Points: 248
Reviews: 135

Donate
Wed May 27, 2009 10:45 pm
lakegirls wrote a review...



Hi,
I enjoyed this story, but you have a lot of dialogue going on. Maybe try starting off some sentences with description or something different. It is a tiny bit boring just looking at dialogue at the beginning of a paragraph.

If you need anything PM me!

Love,
N




User avatar
356 Reviews


Points: 10701
Reviews: 356

Donate
Wed May 27, 2009 7:19 pm
*writewatiwant* wrote a review...



Hey Megan! Kat's here (as requested) for a review! It seems I have reviewed lots of your things :D

Nit-picks:

My dad was coming to pick up Will and me at around eleven so we had another hour or so to do whatever we wanted.

Comma after 'eleven' and 'hour'.

"Bog off then." I spat at her.

The 'then' here doesn't make sense. She just said she wanted to know, that's why she didn't want to leave. The 'then' is usually used as a for or as. In confirmation or so.

"How dare you do that you disgusting pig!" She yelped."You don't act like someone from Amber Fountains at at all, I mean look at what you're wearing!"

The sentence starts with a questions, so you should put not only an exclamation point but an interrogative also. like this: ... pig?!" She yelped. Also, comma after 'that'. You repeated 'as'. A typo? ^_^

"Will is a right dick isn't he." I laughed. "We don't live in Amber housing estate."

Instead of a period, at the end of the first line, put an interrogative point, because you are asking a rhetorical or sarcastic even question. Also, but a comma after 'laughed'.

"We live in Crystal Fountains for god sake!" I answered.

Comma after 'Crystal Fountains' and capitalize the 'god'. As it is an expression, it refers to God a sin holly God.

"Well, Will's a liar then isn't he.

Again, this is question! Rhetorical, in every way. A bit sarcastic or ironic even! Change the period to a interrogative mark, and but 'then' between commas, to give more emphasis.

"Charlie Black?" The man wearing the suit was stood behind me.

Tense alert! Either choose 'stood' or 'was standing'. If you choose the first one, please cut out the 'was'.

"Sure." I shrugged, getting up off my seat.

Turn the first period to a comma.

"I would like to offer you a scholarship for Amber Fountains secondary school." Edward Westwick said.
"Cool, thanks." I answered casually although I felt absolutely amazing.

In both the dialogues lines, you should change the period after the lines to a comma. Like: "...secondary school," and "thanks,

I didn't get a chance to say anything else becasue Will had pulled me away so quickly.

becasue should be because. Also, from the 'else' the rest of the information isn't needed, and just makes this a bit boring, to be repeating yourself.

As we drove past the clubs entrance I realized that I had left my guitar.

Comma after entrance, and I believe there's a word missing after guitar: behind.

I somehow managed to push past my dad and run towards Will before punching him as hard as I could on the nose, knocking hi to the floor.

Comma after 'Will', and hi should be him. Probably a typo, dear?

"I'm actually happy that your mothers gone."

Mothers should be mother's. It's the contraction of mother with is. Change the period to a comma.

Description and imagery:


In this, I am sad to say, it was a bit blank. You don't describe the surroundings of your MC. Like, when they are coming home in the car, you said it was bungalow, so it's probably on a more forest place, right? How were the trees? Was it raining, or sunny?
When the dad beat your MC up, I couldn't actually feel much of it. It should pain me! But it didn't. When he was lying on the floor, was it wood floor? Did it smell like old wood?
Do you get my point? You can describe everything a bit more.

Characters and plot:

Well, here is a bit better. But your MC's POV isn't much personal. You should put thoughts in it, and don't forget to put them in italic. Your characters seemed relatable and real. Like normal people. You have lots of secondary characters which you could give out a bit more. As for your MC and your MC's brother and dad. How do they look? How was Jade's hair? What was Will wearing?
Your plot seemed reasonable. Interesting, in a way. You got a good introduction to the story, and we could understand many things, that weren't explicit. Nice :wink:

Overall:
I liked it. Above all the things, that I hope you'll correct, it was a good read. :D

Do you have questions? Then just PM me!
*Kat*

P.S: I'm a star :P




User avatar
11 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 11

Donate
Wed May 27, 2009 4:11 am
muunilist10 wrote a review...



I'm kinda confused on what all is going on in this. Is there some sort of class war between the people living in one neighborhood and the ones in the other? Or is it more the poor go to one school, the rich the other? Things seemed a bit out of context for me, but it made more sense towards the end. I cant really get the relationship between the two brothers, are they step or real brothers? Overall it was good, kinda violent, but i could really feel the fear during the whole incident. I was a little confused but I'm sure it would make a lot more sense in context. Please post the whole thing so I can really get the whole idea behind everything! Liked it, keep it up!




User avatar
1464 Reviews


Points: 15394
Reviews: 1464

Donate
Tue May 26, 2009 7:36 pm
Juniper says...



Rating changed to R for language.





"She doesn't even go here!"
— Damian Leigh