Vampire Contest: The White One

by Silversun

So, i've tried to post this three times and each time a new complication has arrised! This is for the Vampire Contest that ends on August 20. I'm obviously new, and and sorry for the ungodly length.

~*~

I stand on the pinnacle of a cliff. Beneath me, a river flows serenely through a grassy valley. The sun beats down upon me, but I'm not worried about burning. Who says vampires can't go out in the sun, I think.

Humans have created many myths about us. So many, in fact, that a true vampire could go unnoticed in the world. Bile clung in my throat at the word vampire. Over the many years of legends upon legends, the word vampire had become a hated, despicable thing. Was it really that awful for us to be what we were created to be?

Maybe, I think, it is simply the fact humans cannot accept that they are not at the top of the food chain. A cloud passes under the sun, and I flinch instinctively at the shadow. Thousands of years of evolution has made me the best predator on the earth, but the nerves that go along with that position sometimes bother me.

I take a deep breath to clear my wandering mind. As I do, the scent of an elderly human wafts into my airways. My throat instantly waters, and my eyes dart in all directions. Elaina, I tell myself, concentrate. There's no need to be in a hurry. The worst part of being a vampire is the diet we have to consume. We must drink human blood, for it is the only thing that contains the correct nutrients that our bodies must have to survive. Humans are so...so conscious though, but it's not like I can eat anything else.

In one swift leap, I jump off of the cliff down to the rocky shore below. Every muscle vibrates, as they should after a two hundred foot drop, and I stand up slowly from my crouch. The pebbles make delicate crunching sounds as I tread lightly to the shore. I smile softly as the water laps at my feet like an old friend and take a look at my frightening appearance.

I flinch, even though I know it is me. In the human world, I would be called an albino. In the vampire world, I am called The White One. It's a nickname of sorts, but rarely when a vampire sees me do they say, "Hello Elaina," or, "Good day." Instead, they merely nod and whisper my cursed title. As I am a freak in the human world, I am a freak in my own.

It's not like The White One is a precious title. It's merely a fact. Because of how I look, they think I must be different inside too. Vampires are not as humans think we look. We do not lurk in crypts and caves, and usually, our skin is not exceptionally pale. We are an entirely different race that they could not even begin to study. It seems though, that all life has one common link. The prejudice of appearance. When I think of such prejudice, I grit my fangs in simmering anger. It seems, the world boils down to looks.

My looks are quite a sight to behold. I have white hair that falls in drifting curls down to the mid of my back. If my skin would not be such a bleached white, I would be considered beautiful in both the human world and my own. I have sharp features yet they are delicate. My mouth is a light; heavenly pink-ish white, yet very full and my eye shape is large and innocent looking.

My eye color though are what scare people. They are a bright, mesmerizing red when I've just fed. But, like a normal albino's eyes, when I'm hungry, my eyes are the lightest shade of pink. So pink, in fact, that they nearly blend in with the white of my eye. As I stare into my reflection, I can barely tell my iris' are there.

I look as if I am a young teenager in human years. In vampire years I am around sixty and still considered a child. They mock me for my deep thinking though. My kind thinks hunting humans is a game, the higher the number the more prestige. I look at it as a way to survive, for no other animal can give us enough nourishment.

The scent of the elderly human wafts back into range. I can now tell there are two of them, each floating merrily on a trip down river. From the smell of painted, wet wood, I know they are in a little row boat. Damn my hunger, I think bitterly, damn what I must do to survive. I hold no honor in killing the conscious.

My kind does not seem to share my same opinion in the fact that since they have thoughts, they should not be killed. I have proposed many ideas to the councils, such as drawing only their blood and then having vampires drink it.

The Eldest Council consented to let me try that one, since it was one of my better, more practical ideas. I had kept a house full of human captives, and tried to take their blood with needles, but as soon as me and my assistants pricked their skin, our feeding instincts took over. What was left was worse than any horror movie invented in the humans' Hollywood. I was disgusted with myself, and what I could see we were forced to be, and I took to the wilderness alone. That is where I am now, and here I wait in stony patience for my food to come.

They drift around the bend and into view. My focus on them sharpens clearly, and my throat lusts for them with an intense passion. It's been months since I've eaten, and I cannot hold off any longer.

Each one has frosty white hair and wrinkled tan skin. The woman is wearing a blue summer dress with a church hat that casts a shadow on her aged face. The man wears a green polo with khaki slacks, and a large watch. I see him say something, and hear her beautiful laugh echo across the peaceful waters.

In a mere second, my plan grows clear in my head. By now, it's only my instincts acting. As they draw within yards of my spot, I see a glistening golden cross hung around the man's neck, and a silver dove pendant on the woman's dress. May your God comfort you, I think, and may he truly exist.

"Please help!" I yell. The sound of my voice echoes throughout the valley, shocking the couple.

"I've lost my family on a hiking trip," I say loudly. My battered black pants and faded red shirt fit my facade perfectly. The couple whispers among themselves, and slowly start rowing over.

"Come in, dear," the woman says in a light voice that echoes the fall wind, "We'll travel to the next spot and try to find your family." I see the man look wearily at my pink eyes, but since he is a man of his god, he says nothing.

"Thank you so much," I reply. The scent of their blood is now burning my throat. I can barely breathe. Even vampires need oxygen.

I hold my breath as long as I can once we push off into the middle of the river. The woman is talking to me, but I cannot listen. Instead, the pounding of their hearts and the buzz of electricity that moves their blood is echoing in my head.

"Hey, hey, are you okay?" I hear the man ask faintly. Every muscle tenses in preparation for the kill. With one swift move I bash both of their frail heads together. Their blood stops flowing immediately, and my head clears. I stand up on the floating boat and look at the scene of death before me. Even though I am hungry, I am sickened. The man's cross makes a metallic noise he drops to the bottom of the boat. I bear my fangs and dip to the ground, about to plunge into his fleshy neck as I see the woman's face, empty and glazed, near my own.

A panic like never before sets into my veins. I am a monster, I think, and monsters do not deserve life. I dive off of the drifting boat, but even the cool water does not relieve me. Through the clear, blue water I can see sharp rocks a couple meters below. As I reach the shore, my clothing soaking, I look up at the massive cliff I had first smelled the couple from.

It takes me merely moments to scale the cliff's rocky edge, and soon enough I stand at the same precipe as once before. Below, the rocks welcome me with stony arms. I look down and see the couple, glazed and dead, continue to float on. The picture of the man's cross appears in my mind.

I take a step forward, hovering dangerously over the edge. Only the balls of my feet remain firmly planted. As I stand here, every kill flashes through my mind, each one bringing on a bigger sensation of finality. If you are there, oh human god, find pity on me, I think.

And then I fling myself off the edge, embracing the serenity that will come with impact.

Ace Markaa says...

The problem still exists. This title of 'The White One' is just bad form in a short story when it cannot be properly developed. History means nothing when the story is about the outlook on life. A vampire is a vampire, there is no need to get into their culture or ways when you have no need for it.

It's a simple flow:

Lament the way of her existence.
Kill for food.
Suicidal thoughts lead to suicide.

I'd focus everything onto these three parts. Show why she must kill for food, or tell us in narrative. Explain about how there is no other alternative. The killing part is fine and the end flows well. It is the focus that you are struggling with.

"I take a deep breath to clear my wandering mind. As I do, the scent of an elderly human wafts into my airways. My throat instantly waters, and my eyes dart in all directions. Elaina, I tell myself, concentrate. There's no need to be in a hurry. The worst part of being a vampire is the diet we have to consume. We must drink human blood, for it is the only thing that contains the correct nutrients that our bodies must have to survive. Humans are so...so conscious though, but it's not like I can eat anything else."

You're added bit should have come there, not far on down. Though it seems too bloated as well. By bringing up elders and some complex practices you leave open MORE questions. It becomes a vicious cycle that works for a novel, but not a short story. Captive humans are probably the worst idea for a vampire, mind control or drugging or something of that sort requires a lot of work. Perhaps livestock instead of humans? Vampires would be amazing butchers, if they could live like that. We are in fantasy and that is what my vampires would do... work in a community with their racial traits to the best advantage.

*pictures a bloated italian vamp covered in blood selling fresh meats to the people. All crazy eyed and cartoony, then all serious and realistically.*

Yep, perfectly normal. I'd buy from them.

Lol. Seriously keep at it, short stories are very difficult to pull off, and you are getting there. Trim the fat until you have nothing left but pure substance and form. Make every word count.

Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:08 pm
Silversun says...

See, I love this review much better. It answers all of the questions you left me with your last review. Now I can change some things. Thanks for coming back and clearing up what you said. I'll try to think about it and see what I can add in. When I change some things I'll P.m. you so you can see if it's better.

Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:37 pm
Ace Markaa says...

Silversun wrote:Ace Markaa,
I can clearly see what you mean about losing focus a couple of times but I'm here to explain a couple things for you. I'm not sure you can just go around saying titles are fluff first of all. Generally, people on here try to be polite, so maybe suggest a different title instead. I the story really wasn't supposed to be about him being remorseful about life and killing. Plus, it a female vampire. I know this story is written oddly, so I can see your point, but this story was supposed to have fat.

Jetpack,
Thanks so much for your review. I'll definitely go around changing things a bit! You made many valid points.

TayTay0939,
Yeah, I'm sorry about the straying.

I was being polite, but I was also being realistic. Fat is never good on a short story, that is something you can do for novels, and is actually part of the definition of what a novel is to many writers. Poe's formula and stance was best. I also agree with it, because when you remove the fluff and have substance, the story reads better and becomes more powerful. Someone as experienced as you, or at least writes as well as you do, can handle some specific criticism on the weaknesses which most YWSers will never comment about... and far too many say everything is great. I don't sugar coat because that leads to bad habits and lazy writing. Now, allow me to explain without pulling out the usual titles associated with the genre and fantasy in general.

Her title 'The White One' was absurd and from what this short story described was something that was neither special or unique in the vampire world. Typically vampires are pale, if all she has going for her is that her features are that of an albino, then your physical description contradicts the reality of the skin condition.

A title has to have significance and at least some representation of a power or class that comes with it. The title IS fluff, its just a loose end that holds the short story's title as well. If you go out of your way to create a title for a specific character, and even use the title as the title of your story then some meaning should be given to it.

This is basically all that is given about the matter, besides the obvious albino ties, "It's not like The White One is a precious title. It's merely a fact. Because of how I look, they think I must be different inside too. It appears all creatures are prejudice. When I think of such prejudice, I grit my fangs in simmering anger. It seems, the world boils down to looks. "

Title by looks and no supporting evidence to say that she is different or at least to a typically reader from what vampires appear to be in there mind. White hair and pale skin means White One, what about white skin and black hair? Even emotionally, the title is not connected and that is why I can continue to point at the weakness.

I'm not even going to go into logical fallacies with this unsupported concepts of only seeing humans as food or why a vampire must kill to feed, but I'll touch upon one aspect. It just doesn't fit the nature and makes rather poor sense when blood is all that is required. Like humans do with chickens, cows and goats they provide more then just meat and it is very easy to sustain oneself for a long period of time without killing them. So why not a vampire who is even higher then a human take the same route? Though I guess that this would ruin the story to change, but it couldn't hurt to spend some time explaining why the grim reality of her existence is forced and that all possible solutions, some crazy ones too, just could not be possible.

Rather deep, yes? With a few alterations you can make the story much more powerful and that is what you want. If you've redone this three times, then your fourth one should fix what problems I've pointed out. It is not 'ungodly' long, it is a short story and effective story telling should be absent of a word count, but yeah this was not long for a short story either. Best of luck.

Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:46 am
wizkid515 wrote a review...

this is a great base for a story and with the tiniest bit of nitpicking and tweaking you would probably won that vampire competition. Your characters held a great amount of description and emotion for me and i thought that the way you described her eyes was very real. gave me the shudders. you have an awesome thing right here and you should continue or tweak in a few places. anyway i loved this piece. hope to see more of your work on YWS :D

Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:18 pm
Silversun says...

Ace Markaa,

Jetpack,

TayTay0939,
Yeah, I'm sorry about the straying.

Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:26 pm
taytay0939 wrote a review...

I liked the story, but you did stray off the subject a couple of times. But, the outline and subject was very good. i thought the albino vampire thing was a cool idea, because in most books, they are alwasys pale. In your story, an albino vampire was as different to humans, so that was deffinately a change. i thought the story was altogether a good one. :wink:

Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:15 pm
Ace Markaa wrote a review...

It was good, but in your struggle to describe and identify the character you lose focus of your objective, the conflict of a beast. The title is fluff and so are the myths of vampires and yadda-yadda-yadda.

He's a vampire, do those myths have anything to do with him being a killing machine, albeit a remorseful one? Focus on what is important and don't bother with anything else. There is still way too much fat on this short story.

Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:07 pm
Jetpack wrote a review...

Hi. This is my first review in a few weeks, so my critiquing skills might be a little rusty.

Nitpicks and so on:

So many, that they do go unnoticed in the world. Bile clung in my throat at the word vampire.

As you've already used the word vampire with no apparent reaction from the character, I think you need to think the position of this sentence out a little bit. As it is, I think you need a new paragraph before 'bile'. The whole paragraph is loosely tied together, but my mind reads it as if it should be another paragraph; perhaps you should wait for another opinion.

Maybe, I think, it is simply the fact humans cannot accept that they are not at the top of the food chain.

This stilting narrative without any contractions (i.e. no aren't or don't) makes this sentence less than smooth to read. I understand that you're trying to create the formality that a vampire would carry, but I'm not sure it's worth it if your flow is suffering for it. I've inserted 'that' here, but that doesn't seem to do much to help...

My least favorite part

I've never liked the idea of 'least favourite', personally. Could you use 'the worst' or something? 'Least favourite' reads childishly to me.

Every muscle vibrates, as they should

Very, very much a nitpick here, but this reads a little oddly since you've used 'muscle' in the singular and then go to 'they'. I know it makes sense, but it threw me a bit.

all creatures are prejudice. When I think of such prejudice

The first 'prejudice' should be 'prejudiced'. The second one seems like overkill. If you can rephrase that to avoid repeating prejudice, I would.

elderly person

'Person' is too informal, I think, and too close. It was better as 'human'.

"Come incomma dear," the woman says in a light voice that mirrors the fall wind, "We'll travel to the next spot and try to find your family."

From 'we'll travel...', the dialogue is a little stilted, but not hugely. I wouldn't use 'mirrors' to describe a voice though, since a mirror is associated with sight. I use 'echo' when describing sound, but it's up to you.

Okay, those are the nitpicks. I'm aware that I seem to have rambled through quite a lot of them, but hopefully you'll be able to follow up a few. To summarise, my main issue is with the lack of contractions, which stilts your writing every so often. Reading the piece aloud will help a lot if you want to pick up on that, and with the wording.

It was quite hard to stick with nitpicks in that, because I really wanted to comment on your ideas. I love the idea of an albino vampire; it's very original, I think (I've read little vampire fic, and haven't even touched Twilight, but I've never come across this, and Google agrees with me :P). It's a good spin on the vampire-with-a-conscience thing, which needless to say has been done quite a lot, and took it away from the clichés.

I also loved the references to Christianity and particularly, this moment:

I see the man look wearily at my pink eyes, but since he is a man of his god, he says nothing.

This is where that detached air that you were trying to pull off really comes through.

This doesn't really have a plot, but I'm one to talk, and I don't think that detracts at all from your writing. Since vampires are a little exhausted at the moment, this is a pretty good effort to renew their potential. Nice read.

In short, Mrs. Pontellier was beginning to realize her position in the universe as a human being, and to recognize her relations as an individual to the world within and about her.
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening