hometown anarchy

by SilverNight

harvest moon nights on the bike lane:
we are the last hearts beating in a ghost town,
the only ones left to breathe in others’ faded dreams.
the posters by the train station tell us the end of our story.
someone else was here to warn us of it, ages ago,
but the paper was shredded from oblivion’s pull.

our childhood was 1st wave and rainy novembers
until we strayed here, became the wanderers
that you only get to see on the silver screen,
back turned, walking down alleyways in the rain.
we’d turned into the spray-painted writing
on those abandoned, cracked wall corners
that only means something to the one who made it.
until it washes away, i am a lonely graffiti heart
left behind on the streets leading to breaking.

tonight, the world has already ended.
sometimes the world means nothing to me anyway
(even if somehow you still mean the world to me,
and i don't know how to reconcile that).

Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:08 pm
Liminality says...

"harvest moon nights on the bike lane" is such a vivid and unique image! I like how it takes something timeless and a little surreal like the harvest moon and contextualises it to something modern and specific like a designated bike lane on the road.

"i am a lonely graffiti heart" was also an unexpected metaphor, and I like how it nonetheless fits right in with the images of a lonesome town/ city area.

Great poeting, Silver!

Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:27 am
Rook wrote a review...

I really enjoyed this poem and all the concrete (heh. like concrete and asphalt hehe) details you've used! I feel like this is a town that I can really visualize with the details like "cracked wall corners" and "rainy novembers."

There is definitely a sort of bittersweet, melancholic emotion here that is very engaging and atmospheric. It is very consistent throughout the poem, aided by your word choice and general syntax. Great job!

I wish there were even more specifics though! I'd love to know, for example, what this town's name is, when it became a ghost town, where in the country/world is it (a PNW town is very different from a southeast town, and that's just in America!) I realize that the town in this is likely very much a metaphor, but making it more specific doesn't make it any less capable of being a metaphor.
If you want to give the town a name but don't want to pick a town you're from for internet safety reasons (which is something I highly recommend you don't do!) I always think it's really fun to just pick a town on Google maps or make up a name. But just "this small town in the midwest" is pretty specific too!

The other thing that I think could be improved in this poem are a couple cliches!
-"hearts beating" what other ways could you say these are the only people alive in a ghost town? Eyes blinking? heads turning? something else? hearts in general are overused symbols in poetry.
-Speaking of which, "lonely graffiti heart" is just not doing it for me. I don't like the adverb and I honestly just have a personal vendetta against hearts in poetry.
-"the only ones left to breathe in others’ faded dreams" this whole line, but "faded dreams" especially.
-The whole ending stanza feels vague and cliche-adjacent. I think it's the weakest stanza which isn't a great note to end on. Could you just cut it? or find another way to end the poem?

I have some clarification questions:
"someone else was here to warn us of it" what is "it"? the end of the story of the town? of the people in the town? of these visitors to the ghost town? I'm assuming the first. What is this warning? is it one of those like, fundamentalist ads about how the end of the world is coming? or is it something else? I wasn't sure what you were referring to here in more than one way.

"1st wave" first wave anarchy? first wave feminism? first wave ska??? What do you mean?

"left behind on the streets leading to breaking." I didn't know whether to put this in the cliche section, but I think I'm more just ??? what does this mean. Don't get me wrong, this line sounds super cool and you might not need to "fix" it at all, but I just. Don't get it I suppose. Or maybe I do but I'm tangled in grammar and nitpickiness and if i wasn't reviewing this I'd really like this line.

Anyway, I really thought his poem was very cool! I hope this review was helpful, but please let me know if you have any questions!
~Rook

SilverNight says...

Hey Rook%u2014 great review, I'm glad you liked the poem! You brought up some interesting points and questions, so I thought I'd respond to those. Thanks for the thought-provoking insights!

-I avoided specific details about the two cities/places because they're both big and recognizable, so it was mostly in the interest of internet safety like you guessed. That's still good feedback though, and I hope to make use of it in a safe way!
-I've gotten a lot of opinions on "lonely graffiti heart" going in either direction, good and bad, so I'm honestly not sure about that line anymore haha. But you're right that hearts can be pretty cliche, so that's totally fair!
-Sorry about the confusion on the poster stanza! "it" refers to the end of the story/world in that line. The posters are indeed the "the end is near" type, which the city in question has a lot of.
-1st Wave is the radio station I grew up listening to because it was what my parents would play in the car. It's a little childhood reference that's a little hard to get, but I'm glad you asked!
-"breaking" in that line used to be "oblivion", but I moved that to a spot in the poem where I felt it fit better. I replaced it, but at the price of making the grammar more confusing. I think I imagined "breaking" as a location, or more like a destination, in this case? Hope that makes sense!

Again, thank you so much for the feedback! It was really helpful. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:22 pm

I enjoyed reading this poem.This talks about how people can be forgotten from the world,fading away into nothingness.Everyone wants to be heard,but not everyone is heard.People are lost and are nothing more than blogs in the world.At times,they won’t even care and will be used to being nothing.It’s a beautiful poem.I liked it.I hope you have a lovely day/night.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:13 am
silented1 says...

Love it.

I'd like to say that lonely graffiti heart didn't totally fit the tone of the poem, which is fine because it fit the theme and brought us down in a way, not sure how to exactly describe it. It worked well.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
— Albert Einstein