Growth and ambition

by Silberfee

After our parents - who stood as two rocks on our side - parted their bodies to reveal a crevice, we fell from the heavens, towards the arms of mother and father.

Our first sight of the world was at the centre, between mother and father’s sturdy foundations that were rooted deep in the ground.

We clung, buried into their arms and they embraced us, their kisses and hugs raining on our chubby bodies. We would kick and gurgle in response while our parents smiled, their breath breathing a melody in reply. Our eyes will look up to their eyes wanting to capture their voices into ours, and mimic their movements in the world.

Time and growth caught up with us and we had to leave our parents shadow to fall from their height into the river. Without their arms encircling our small bodies and their voices whispering sweet sentiments we were left with the terrors borne from our imagination. Our round eyes would water and leak raining fear on the ground while our chubby lips would quiver and bawl…

Until we noticed that there were no monsters hiding in the dark, or witches hiding in the cupboard. Instead there were other droplets, clear and transparent like us and together we held each other’s hands while the sun’s rays spread across the clear sky. We glowed in return, a colourful prism of hope and dreams. Up from our side of the hill we could see the entire world and we saw that the world was our oyster.

We rolled further downhill, together swimming into the bends and folds of the river passing fertile grass as green as our hopes that we held closely to our hearts.

But Teacher Autumn came like wind scattering decaying leaves mixed with abandoned broken bottles and empty wrappers felled from people’s careless hands into our clear transparent stream:

It screamed: “You got a C in your exam and you want to be a future innovator? You’ll never be an innovator!”

Autumn’s clouds hid our sun and rained sulfuric and nitric acid that eroded our dreams and youthful idealism. We were left numb, frozen in the beginnings of an icy winter.

“Why don’t you train to be a labourer instead?” the wind suggested. Teacher Autumn had trapped our dreams and flung it to the winds where it fluttered a hundred thousand miles away.

We continued our flow, weaving in between rocks, dirt and debris staining our transparency, we were no longer clear eyed but tainted with brown, grey and black. We passed bridges and villages filled with innocent star eyed children. They would stick their creamy coloured hands in the river until their parents’ angry words burned tears in their eyes, forcing them to withdraw their hands.

Elderly couples strolling for a walk would salute us and chat about our youthful lives, their cloudy eyes romantically blinded with the nostalgia of their distant youth.

“Have a sweet,” they offered after listening to an edited version of our dreams.

We finished our diplomas and our minds was dulled with thought - we didn’t see the left or right route, only the bends and folds ahead- plunged downhill into a tributary university.

There, we found different shades of black, grey, brown, yellow who had travelled from other small streams that led back to crevices from all over the world. Together we formed a river that was wider and shorter in length. We bubbled for the first time in nightclubs where we drank our sorrows and lived in artificial drunken joy. The moonlight became the sun that shone on our subconscious hopes, that we revealed unconsciously, and in the morning when the lecturer arrived our hands slathered slowly underneath the desk as our minds slipped into a daydream,

that unfurled too quickly into an estuary, the slipperiness, the closeness of the fall into the ocean awoken us from our daydreams and we scrabbled quickly to find a traineeship or graduate scheme.

Maybe our hands, academic history and/or experience were truly made of water because we found that our grip was weak and we tumbled into the ocean of recessive depression.

We were too transparent to earn a well-paying job, and no matter how much we stained our hands in filth washing dishes in the café, or blowing dust off stock in the stockroom to display in the shop we still had minus money and experience to pay back the debt we owed University,

We wished that we were still the college students elderly people sometimes mistaken us for, they saw that our face was still clear, but with words exchanged they saw that we were nearly grey from tiredness,

“Have a sweet,” they offered, drenching us in sympathy, while we drowned into the bottom of the ocean, slaving at our menial jobs. Every day our minds feasted on the sliver of youthful clarity that shrunk by day. It prayed for the sun to melt us so we could rise as evaporation to the heights of the skies because:

Each tomorrow came with a wintry dread that burnt our skins dry and slashed bloody cuts into the dying skins of our hands. We are afraid that soon the poisonous debris that Teacher Autumn had injected into our skin would soon fill every cell we had with greying debris.

and our hearts will learn to freeze in the depths of winter.  

RubyRed says...

This isn't a poem more like a short. ;)

Silberfee says...

yeah I wasn't sure what category to put it in, next time I write something like this i'll categorise it as a story !

zaminami says...

You can change it. Go to "Edit Work" and then click "Save Changes", and a link should pop up saying "Click here to set options for this work". Click on it and change it from "poetry" to "short story".

Silberfee says...

Thank you so much!! I didn't know that was what 'click here to set options for this work' is for

zaminami says...

Yo welcome :D

Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:57 am
VegasLights wrote a review...

Hello, Silberfee! VegasLights here to give you a review!

I agree with @KaraStevens I do not think this is poetry, I think it is more of a short story with poetry vibes but that is okay! I agree with most of the things that she said. So we are going to follow along with her!

I am going to start this off with grammar too, sorry. Everything that she said really applies to what I want to say. So, you know I might just let Kara have the thunder for this review. Because really she said everything that I needed to say.

I also wanted to let you know that if you wanted to make this look more like a poem. I would completely shorten it and pick out the important parts and put them in stanzas. I really do love the poetry vibes I am getting from your little thingy over here. Sorry, I don't really know what to call it.

Overall, I do think the concept and theme was great in your poem. I also think you had something going and you are just like me where you put A LOT of detail. But I learned to shorten everything out, I know you can too!

~Keep Writing!~

VegasLights
(Previously Steam1244)

Silberfee says...

Yes I'm currently confused about the fine line between poetry and stories :P I used to think poetry's main characteristic is rhythm but now I'm not sure! thank you for the feedback I'll try to see whether I can revise its grammar and rhythm

zaminami wrote a review...

Hello, Silberfee! Kara Stevens here for a (hopefully) quick review! I'm doing this as I go along, so here we go.

So first of all, this is not poetry (I don't think), so it shouldn't be in this category.

Now the GRAMMAR:

rooted deep in the ground,

After "ground" there should be a period, not a comma.

We clung buried into their arms and they embraced us

I think that it'll be better if you add a comma after "clung". I know that there's something wrong with the "clung buried" think and adding the comma fixes it in my head.

Our eyes will look up to our parents wanting to capture our parents’ voices in our own, and mimic their movements in the world.

The "our parents" gets a little bit redundant. Maybe replace the second "our parents" with "their". Also, I don't think you need that comma there.

parents

Should be "parents'".

terrorists

Should be "terrors" in this context.

“You got a C in your physics exam and you want to be an engineer? You’ll never be an engineer!”

The "engineer" thing is, again, a bit redundant. Find a way to fix that.

that eroded our dreams,

The comma isn't needed there.

“Have a sweet.” They offered after listening to an edited version of our dreams.

Since this is dialogue, this should be on a separate paragraph. Also, the first period should be a comma and the "They" not capitalized.

daydream,

I see what you are trying to do here but you shouldn't have a comma there.

That

Lowercase it because I think I know what you are doing.

scheme,

I know what you're doing here but this should be a period because it doesn't fit with the next sentence.

depression

Add punctuation.

they offered drenching us in sympathy

After "offered" there should be a comma.

university,

Since you don't have a pronoun before it, capitalize "university". Also, replace the comma with a period.

debris,

Should be no comma there.

Aaaand, that's it! Good job on this piece: it really represents the real world well. I hope to read some more of your stories soon!

Happy writing!--

Kara R. Stevens

Silberfee says...

Hi! Thanks for the review, I have to admit I had concluded before that the foundation of poetry was rhythm but when I googled it up while writing this a website said that poetry is when language is used beauteously so now I don't know what is the fine line between poems and stories...

sometimes I struggle with grammar I'll go over your suggestions;)

zaminami says...

You're welcome! I nitpick the grammar whenever I write reviews, so...

Damn for a writer I'm horrible at wording things XD

The author of my life has some ambitious ideas for me to become a super villain
— FireEyes