Drugs Or Me.

by Shriek

Drugs Or Me.

For Delena.

A girl slouches into the corner drugstore one blistering summer morning. The artificially chilled air hits her bare legs with a blast as sliding doors close mechanically behind her. Passing the counter, a clerk cracks gum loudly and shrugs off her potential customer’s existence, occupied with a speck on her nails. The girl doesn’t take offense, however, as she files silently through a thick forest of cardboard display advertisements. Of course she doesn’t take offense—she’s been regarded as invisible for the past sixteen years of her life, as her poor posture and lack of personal hygiene would indicate. She’s alone today, and, without a sense of identity or glimmer of self-assurance, she’s swallowed whole into a vast beauty product wasteland.

Aisle 9: hair care products. A black security camera follows the girl’s awkward frame past hairspray shelving. Its intense red light blinks on, blinks off—steadily watching. The concave lens reflects the girl’s filthy exterior. Dirty brown locks frame a round, pale face; desolate gray eyes flitter emptily over a gaudy shampoo display. It’s seen her here before, the camera has. Like clockwork: Monday afternoons she stops in, pockets stuffed with fresh cut coupons from the Sunday paper.

However, today is not Monday afternoon. It’s Thursday, and her pockets aren’t bulky with crinkled paper coupons. Instead, a solitary ten-dollar bill fills the void in their absence. She allows her hollow eyes to wander over name brand, nutrient rich shampoos before pulling a generic sixty-nine cent bottle off the wall. It smells like oil, has the consistency of water, lathers not. She sets the bottle down. This isn’t what she came here for. Air in, air out. Breathe, child.

Aisle 12: magazines, office supplies & other assorted miscellany. Glitter-coated lies radiating from magazine covers wrench the girl from the imitation coconut and lilac effluvium of aisle 9. A fluorescent ‘20% off’ sign buzzes over popular titles such as Teen, People, and merger label, Teen People. Two-dimensional Celebs flash perfect white teeth, courtesy of Orthodontia International. Brad Pitt’s lopsided grin, paired with majestic oiled abs and blonde stylized hair, is particularly convincing. Sincere, paper-thin eyes—so reassuring—radiate knowing optimism. The girl picks up the magazine and fingers her way through with chewed, bloody nail stubs.

SWIMSUIT SEASON, an article screams.

Crap. Air in. Air out. Breathechild.

Pictures of beautiful anorexic girls in skimpy bikinis flood the girl’s vision. Happy beautiful anorexic girls.

And she remembers. Crap. She had successfully blocked this remembrance out all week, but now it comes. Naturally, painfully, unbridled. The memory crashes, crushes her head in, beating her nauseous. KAUFMANNS’ SWIMSUIT SALE, WEDNESDAY, MAY 18, the ad had read. Coupons were clipped, mother and daughter climbed into the car, and the pair was consumed by the large crowd gathered for the sale in the Kaufmanns building.

The girl had pulled a few modest size 10 swimsuits off the rack and retreated to the changing rooms. Mother had insisted on—stop! it’s too–seeing her daughter in the pieces before she invested any money into them, and when she did—painful

“Good God. How could you let yourself pork out like this? You used to be so gorgeous; it’s a shame. Here, turn around and let me look at you from behi—dear Lord. I hate to see you like this, honey. Please, you need to lose some weight. You used to be so beautiful…”

And so the slaughter of self-esteem went, as the girl stood half naked and fully defenseless against her mother’s scathing blows. Clenching her jaw on a trembling bottom lip so to keep the tears pricking her eyes from running, she waited, humiliated, for her mother to leave the small changing room. And when Mommy Dearest had finally made her exit, the girl collapsed, defeated, onto the cold tile dressing room floor.

Aisle 5: diet & nutrition. Greasy chocolate ringlets fly through the air as salty precipitate streams from the girl’s eye sockets. She grabs a bottle off the shelf almost rabidly, hungrily, furiously. Diet pills. Weight loss pills. She knows they’re harmful, but it’s not enough to stop her now. Better to be dead than trapped in this size 10 body, incessantly being pushed by mother to be beautiful, constantly being shunned by classmates and peers. All because why, exactly? Her weight. There’s no other explanation for it, really.

Aisle 2: stomach care. And now the memories are pounding at her temples, rushing, laughing, mocking her—the countless starvation diets, late night binges, the agony of over exercise. Laxatives. Damn it, where the heck are they? Her eyes are coated red with angerpain and tears; they dart violently about the shelving until—

Here they are.”

Cash register: thank you for shopping at drug depot! The bored cashier rings up the products without speaking. Her face is emotionless—a hard expression chiseled in granite. “That’ll be nine-thirty-five.” The girl hands over her money and waits patiently. No coupons this time. The hum of the air conditioning and snap of the clerk’s gum are calming to the girl; the silence terrifies her. As long as she can discern even the slightest noise, she will have no reason to fear. The filling and collapsing of her own lungs is enough--a constant reminder that she, indeed, is alive and is a survivor.

Air. In air. Outbreathe—woman.

Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:55 am
Shriek says...

Wow.
WOW.

Thank you all SO much for the reviews! I'm sorry I couldn't have thanked you sooner--I wasn't even aware that my silly little story was recieving this attention. Ahhhg, it means so much to me.

Rincewind: Thank you for your thorough review. I admire your style (especially in Foonkerpop), so I'm flattered that you praised mine so highly.
Emma: Thank you so much. I appreciate your comment.
Jennafina: Yeah, I'm the kind of writer who needs things organized into sections in order for her to function correctly. But I'm so glad you see it as fitting together nicely.
Sam: Haha, thanks for being honest. I am a quick scanner myself. =P
Areida: Ahh, thank you! Your writing is wonderful, so it's a high compliment coming from you. ^_^

And nothingxelse and Kay Kay: I'm sorry for not seeing your reviews sooner! Ooh, I feel terrible. Thank you for taking the time to read my stuff. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:06 am
Rincewind says...

Good thing I revived this topic!
Haha, its lovely!

Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:15 pm
Areida wrote a review...

Wow.

I don't think you went into overkill with adjectives at all... you've used them beautifully. It's honest, well-written, and more than just a little sad.

You've written it in such a way that I feel as though I could be that girl. Awesome job.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:50 pm
Sam says...

I was just going to scan over this and see what people had to say...but oh, my, I just had to keep reading. :D Great stuff. Honestly.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:03 pm
Jennafina says...

I like how each Isle has its own little story. Everything really fits.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:09 pm
Emma says...

Hey they is good! One of the best I read. Great detail!!

Wow...

*walks off dazzled*

Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:25 am
Rincewind wrote a review...

Holy crap this story is absolutely friggin fantastic.

Awesome work hun. This story is my favourite thing I've read since I came to this site (sorry to say I've only been here a week or so;) ).
But honestly, this story is awesome.

I havent seen every single story by everybody, ever. But I knwo that this is the first one of any that I HAVE seen that experimented at all with style.

Air in. Air out. Breathe-woman.

SO good.

Repetition is under used, like illiteration. Nobody even bothers anymore. Its good to see people are still having fun with their writing and remebering the fact that though grammar restricts it does not confine. And we do not always have to keep everything grammatically sound.

I am dissapointed to see that you've got hardly any other work on here.
You've got good talent, tell me there is more writing where this came from.
Tell me that, and then supply me with some!

Thank you for that wonderful story.

Some of my favourite parts:

Mother had insisted on—stop! it’s too–seeing her daughter in the pieces before she invested any money into them, and when she did—painful…
^thats awesome.

Glitter-coated lies radiating from magazine covers wrench the girl from the imitation coconut and lilac effluvium of aisle 9.
^ just a great sentence altogether.

^ So many of my female friends have told me about parents saying that. Realism = Goodness

Only thing is, I dont know why she buys poo pills.

nothingxelse says...

I really liked this! Everything was described really well, you can feel what the girl's going through.

Kay Kay says...

I liked it! I look forward to reading more of your work. Good job and keep up the good work!

Tue May 24, 2005 12:55 am
Snoink wrote a review...

Nah, you were fine. What I liked was the duel meaning of words that sometimes came up.

My favorite line was this:

"Passing the counter, a clerk cracks gum loudly and shrugs off her potential customer’s existence, occupied with a speck on her nails."

Very thoughtful and eloquent. :)

Tue May 24, 2005 12:34 am
Shriek says...

Snoink: Thank you. You don't think I went overkill on the adjectives then? Because...yeah, reading this over again, I definately think I may have. Just a tad. ;)

Sarah: :) Thanks! I will think about removing the 'artificially chilled air' bit. Do you have any suggestions for how I could word that sentence otherwise?

Snoink says...

You used adjectives to your full advantage!

Good job.

DarkerSarah wrote a review...

This was good --an honest glimpse into a young girl's facade-obsessed psyche.

The artificially chilled air

I didn't like this, though. Seemed unnecessary, really.

I liked the Aisle 5, aisle 9, aspect very much.

Good luck with all of your future writings. I look forward to reading them!

-Sarah

Shriek says...

Emotionless: Thank you. That is exactly what I was going for.
Acidfairy: ^_^ Thanks for being honest.

emotion_less says...

Very nicely written. A simple enough transaction, but it was described with so much detail and emotion.

Acid_Fairy says...

it's...different...but i liked it!

If I were a girl in a book, this would all be so easy.
— Jo March