z

Young Writers Society



Ahem.. Ahem.. Roald Dahl is here!!

by Shine


Book: The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More.

Author: Roald Dahl.

Roald Dahl is one of my favorite writer. And I recently read this book, which was fabulous. Especially the story Henry Sugar. The story is about a man who can see with his eyes closed.

The stories are all fiction except the story “A piece of cake” .He had hardly written any non-fiction story. Almost all stories of RD are fiction. (and that is why I love his stories). He has approximately written two non-fiction stories, and one of which is the first story he wrote: Can any of u name it and in which year it was written??. And the other one is I guess the ‘Boy, the tales of childhood’.

The stories that, this book contains are:

1.The Boy Who Talked with Animals.

2.The Hitch-hiker.

3.The Mildenhall Treasure.

4.The Swan.

5.The Wonderful story of Henry Sugar(as I have mentioned already).

6.Lucky break.

7.A piece of cake.

These seven stories are superb, full of Roald Dahl’s usual magic, mystery and suspense.

Good descriptions, and very good characters. The stories are unforgettable.

Anyone who read this book?? (I think most of u did)J


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
368 Reviews


Points: 1125
Reviews: 368

Donate
Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:01 am
Shine says...



Nah didn't read 'The gremlins'.




User avatar
411 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 411

Donate
Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:16 am
Sohini wrote a review...



tHe Bfg is definately my cuppa tea. where else do you come across whizzpoppers *nasty grin*. i've read almost all his children's books and i loved his autobiographies—Boy Days of Childhood and Going Solo. James and the giant Peach was his first children's book and it's great too. and Mr. Wonka's amazing.

about his adult stories they are mind blowing, dark but Mind blowing. did anyone read "Genisis and Catastrophe"? now if i listed my favourite stories i'd be boring you.

QUESTION: is there anyone lucky enough to have read "The Gremlins"?




User avatar
368 Reviews


Points: 1125
Reviews: 368

Donate
Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:11 pm
Shine says...



TellATALE WROTE:I AM UTTERLY AMAZED AND SHOCKED THAT ONLY ONE SOUL ON THIS BOARD HAS MENTIONED THE BFG! SHAME ON YOU! SHAME ON YOU ALL! THE BFG ROCKED MY SOX IN 1ST GRADE! I STILL OWN IT! LOL


Yeah how can we forget about BFG. :shock:

dittylicious wrote:...anyways, awesome topic! Roald Dahl is an amazing author!


I know this is an awesome topic. :wink:

McMourning wrote:Hello!
I read it a few years ago, but only because my cousin had gone to college. See, my Aunt was cleaning out his closet, and came across a bunch of novels, this just happened to be one of them.


My dear your Aunt has done a good job. :)




Random avatar

Points: 9682
Reviews: 156

Donate
Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:17 pm
McMourning says...



Hello!
I read it a few years ago, but only because my cousin had gone to college. See, my Aunt was cleaning out his closet, and came across a bunch of novels, this just happened to be one of them.




User avatar


Points: 890
Reviews: 2

Donate
Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:13 pm
dittylicious wrote a review...



TellATale, I LOOOVE The BFG! That book is so great!

I'm not really sure what my favorite Roald Dahl book is, since I read so many, but I'd have to say that Matilda is way up there. This last summer, I read the entire thing in two hours, and it's just so funny and clever and dark. His writing reminds me of Grimm's fairy tales, back in the days when fantasy was supposed to teach children a lesson.

Every once in a while, I like taking the time out to read a little bit of Roald Dahl if I can, just because I think his writing was so fantastic and partially wasted on young readers.

Max McCali, I noticed you mentioned Revolting Rhymes! Those are so great! It's like taking Grimm's fairy tales even a step further. They remind me a little of the Stinky Cheese Man, if anyone has ever read those...


...anyways, awesome topic! Roald Dahl is an amazing author!




User avatar
50 Reviews


Points: 1046
Reviews: 50

Donate
Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:11 am
TellATaleForTwo says...



I AM UTTERLY AMAZED AND SHOCKED THAT ONLY ONE SOUL ON THIS BOARD HAS MENTIONED THE BFG! SHAME ON YOU! SHAME ON YOU ALL! THE BFG ROCKED MY SOX IN 1ST GRADE! I STILL OWN IT! LOL




User avatar
368 Reviews


Points: 1125
Reviews: 368

Donate
Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:23 am
Shine says...



Max McKali wrote:the BFG and The Witches were definitely my favorites.

anyone read "Revolting Rhymes"? they're hysterical, he takes some of the famous fairy tales (red riding hood, cinderella, snow white) and completely misconstrues them.


Hmm... got to check that out.

Mr. Everyone wrote:I'm going to check him out! deffinetely looks like somthing I would like! =)

keep writing and =) happy reading (=

Yeah go for it. 8)




User avatar
64 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 64

Donate
Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:38 am
Mr. Everyone says...



I'm going to check him out! deffinetely looks like somthing I would like! =)

keep writing and =) happy reading (=




User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 10

Donate
Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:36 pm
Max McKali says...



the BFG and The Witches were definitely my favorites.

anyone read "Revolting Rhymes"? they're hysterical, he takes some of the famous fairy tales (red riding hood, cinderella, snow white) and completely misconstrues them.




User avatar
368 Reviews


Points: 1125
Reviews: 368

Donate
Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:02 am
Shine says...



lilizard wrote:Three words:
best. children's. writer.
I have never read a children's book that has such a good combo of wittiness, flow, and plots than Roahld Dahl.


Thats true.

lilizard wrote:Also, I think he wins for hardest name to spell...


lol yeah its Roald Dahl.

lucafont90 wrote:His adult works are very dark, a lot darker than his children work.


Yes its hard to get it sensibly.




User avatar
36 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 36

Donate
Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:29 pm
lillizard says...



Three words:
best. children's. writer.
I have never read a children's book that has such a good combo of wittiness, flow, and plots than Roahld Dahl. Also, I think he wins for hardest name to spell...




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 2

Donate
Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:09 pm
lucafont90 says...



His adult works are very dark, a lot darker than his children work.




User avatar
368 Reviews


Points: 1125
Reviews: 368

Donate
Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:57 am
Shine says...



If I were to pick my favorite children's novel by Dahl, I would most likely have to pick between The Witches and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.


If I were to pick my favourite it would be either Matilda or Charlie and the chocolate factory.


As for his adult works, I would choose Switch Bitch.


I never read this or any other of his adult works.




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 2

Donate
Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:47 pm
lucafont90 says...



If I were to pick my favorite children's novel by Dahl, I would most likely have to pick between The Witches and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

As for his adult works, I would choose Switch Bitch.




User avatar
368 Reviews


Points: 1125
Reviews: 368

Donate
Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:43 pm
Shine says...



thats great he is world famous!




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 2

Donate
Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:42 pm
lucafont90 says...



Then again, his children stories are brilliant to.

Yes, I enjoy his adult works, especially My Uncle Oswald.




User avatar
368 Reviews


Points: 1125
Reviews: 368

Donate

Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 2

Donate
Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:30 pm
lucafont90 says...



I, personally, love his darker adult short stories.




User avatar
368 Reviews


Points: 1125
Reviews: 368

Donate
Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:54 am
Shine says...



Hey Nate what about my question?




User avatar
368 Reviews


Points: 1125
Reviews: 368

Donate
Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:40 am
Shine says...



Yeah TheWitches is another good stuff of Roald Dahl.

When I was 12 I read the book Matilda by Roald Dahl and loved it.Since then I am very fond of him.:)

I started this topic a long time ago before yws was closed,and I thought people in yws is not much fond of him.Until some time ago I noticed this topic to be back again.

Hey Nate its a very true thing about R.D.
His work of fiction rocks.;)




User avatar
798 Reviews


Points: 17580
Reviews: 798

Donate
Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:57 am
Areida says...



My youngest sister read The Witches for the first time last week and loved it. And since it was out, I started reading it again. Now I remember why it scared me so much. :P

But it's good stuff anyway.




User avatar
425 Reviews


Points: 11417
Reviews: 425

Donate
Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:53 pm
Nate says...



What I've always though is funny about Roald Dahl is that even though he was great at writing children's books, he hated writing them.




User avatar
459 Reviews


Points: 10092
Reviews: 459

Donate
Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:52 pm
Poor Imp wrote a review...



Snoink wrote:It's like JK Rowling's, except even more creative and fantastic. Basically? Good stuff!

...of course, I'm talking about his children's novels, that is. His other books are rather offbeat and everything. He's one of my main inspirations for writing. :D


Er, that would explain some things... ^_~

Reas: Yes, Roald Dahl is well worth the read, and much more clever than Rowling could ever hope to be.




User avatar
3821 Reviews


Points: 3891
Reviews: 3821

Donate
Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:49 pm
Snoink wrote a review...



It's like JK Rowling's, except even more creative and fantastic. Basically? Good stuff!

...of course, I'm talking about his children's novels, that is. His other books are rather offbeat and everything. He's one of my main inspirations for writing. :D




User avatar
214 Reviews


Points: 8231
Reviews: 214

Donate
Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:45 pm
Prosithion says...



I don't believe that I've ever heard of him. how is his writing?




User avatar
368 Reviews


Points: 1125
Reviews: 368

Donate
Sun May 21, 2006 10:54 am
Shine says...



I have heard of the book skins but I didn’t read it. Soon I’ll be reading that. I never heard of the book which Bobo is talking about.
Fantastic Mr. Fox is really good, though I remember only glimpse of it.

I loved the story Matilda. :D








-Sayani :wink:




User avatar
798 Reviews


Points: 17580
Reviews: 798

Donate
Thu May 11, 2006 3:21 am
Areida wrote a review...



I've mostly read the ones Bobo mentioned.

I loved Matilda, The Twits, and The Witches most of all, though.

I remember being quite afraid of The Witches but for some reason it fascinated me anyway. Then again, I used to read a lot of stuff when I was little that scared me... lol... What a morbid child I was indeed.

The Twits was one of those that made me laugh and yet disturbed me at the same time. The whole worms thing... and the eye? Was it an eye or a leg? Geeze, I can't remember. I should go on a Roald Dahl spree. Might relieve pre-finals stress. ...Eh, probably not, but it might be fun! :mrgreen:

I haven't seen the new Willy Wonka. I can't stand the old one (it freaks me out) so I've refused to see the new one thus far.




User avatar
35 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 35

Donate
Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:37 am
dele24 wrote a review...



My favorite story from Roald Dahl is definitely FAntastic Mr. Fox. My 8 year old mind read it, and loved it.

Yeah, go Fantastic Mr fox, I haven't read it for ages but it was so cool. Also Esio Trot, that was pretty interesting.




User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 20

Donate
Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:37 am
Clover Madison wrote a review...



I love Dahl's work especially Revolting Rhymes (If your ever in the Children's section of a bookstore you must check it out its hilarious). His short stories are amazing. I've never read Henry Sugar but now I will. The ones I've read are Skin and other stories and The Umbrella Man and other stories (these are short stories for teens and they're inspiring for every short story writer out there).




User avatar
241 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 241

Donate
Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:21 pm
zelithon says...



His books got me into reading! I didn't really enjoy books that much until 3rd grade when i read one of his books.




User avatar


Points: 890
Reviews: 4

Donate
Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:05 pm
McPheever says...



My favorite story from Roald Dahl is definitely FAntastic Mr. Fox. My 8 year old mind read it, and loved it.




User avatar
820 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 820

Donate
Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:49 pm
Myth says...



I read that book, it was .. awful ..

The Magic Finger and Fantastic Mr Fox are my favourites.




User avatar
481 Reviews


Points: 6194
Reviews: 481

Donate
Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:59 am
Bobo wrote a review...



I used to love Roald Dahl. I didn't read this book you're talking about, but I read Matilda, The Witches, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Glass Elevator, The Twits, and a couple others I can't remember. I also read at least some of his biographies.

Then, one day, I found a book by him called Switch Bitch. You can probably imagine what it might be about. I couldn't believe it. I read some of the reviews, and they confirmed what I suspected about the book. I have never read any books by Roald Dahl since.

But I did see the new Charlie movie :)




User avatar
368 Reviews


Points: 1125
Reviews: 368

Donate
Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:42 am
Shine says...



Hmm.. Henry sugar is everyone’s favorite (to those who read it). :)












-Sayani.




User avatar
820 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 820

Donate
Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:59 am
Myth says...



I loved that book especially the story of Henry Sugar, my teacher read it to us and I just had to read it all over again, I think I'll borrow it from the library as I've forgotten what the other stories were. The Hitch-Hiker was good too.





I tell the neophyte: Write a million words–the absolute best you can write, then throw it all away and bravely turn your back on what you have written. At that point, you’re ready to begin.
— David Eddings