The Dragon Rider Chapter 1

by FlamingPhoenix, Fantascifi66

I was eating my cereal, when a dragon showed up in my bedroom.

I continued eating my cereal, just staring at it.

Because the dragon just stood there, and I was eating my cereal, nobody said a word.

Until it finally broke the silence.

"Who are you?"

"I could ask you the same question." I said.

"But... Where am I?" The dragon asked.

"In my bedroom." I answered simply, continuing to eat my cereal.

A large blue scaled dragon landed on the window of the bedroom, it's black eyes looking over the human and the fellow dragon in the room. There was a thud as feet hit the windowsill. A tall girl ducked her head and stepped into the room. Her eyes then landed on the other dragon, then they looked over to the person sitting in a chair.

Patting her dragon's neck she said. "You need to come with me."

"What? Why? Where are we?" The dragon asked, clearly clueless about how they had gotten here.

"Not now, Shoonga, we need to go." The girl told the dragon apparently named Shoonga.

She looked at me.

"Who are you?" She asked, nearly as confused as Shoonga was.

"I live here."

"..."

It was quiet for a moment.

"Ok." She said finally.

I continued eating my cereal.

"Well, we have to go. Umm..."

Another awkward silence filled the room.

I wondered how I was so calm about this.

The answer came to me immediately:

I was eating cereal. That, combined with my bedroom, was my happy place.

I must be dreaming.

"Where do you have to go?" I asked, looking from the girl, to her dragon and to Shoonga.

"Good question." Shoonga said and turned to the girl.

"Where do we have to go?"

She stood there, staring at the dragon, a baffled look on her face.

"Uhh... To..."

It seemed she couldn't speak.

Then she pulled herself together, a stern look appearing on her face.

"Don't you mind." She said with an unnecessary harsh tone.

"And how are you so calm about this? All the other humans I've met in my life have been freaking out by the presence of a dragon!" She finished.

"Cereal." I said simply, and lifted the bowl.

The girl nodded her head. "Right." she then turned back to her dragon then stopped, turning back around to face me she said. "If your not afraid of dragons then your the guy I've been looking for." A large sigh could be heard from under the mask she was wearing.

"Looking for?" I asked her. This was kinda confusing, even with the cereal.

The girl nods her head. "Yes. It has been said that someone will be born with the gift to understand dragons, and not be afraid of them." Her knee high riding boots made small tapping noises as she walks up to me.

"What's my reward?" I asked.

Shoonga stood there, watching them.

He had no idea whatsoever of who this person was, where he was or what he was doing here.

The masked girl put her hands on her hips. "You get a riding dragon of your own, and you come live with them." Looking down she tightened the belt that was around her waist.

"You are a born rider. there are only so few in this world. And many bad things are soon to come."

"Can I have unlimited cereal?" I asked, looking at her.

The girl nods her head. "If that's your greatest wish." You can hear sarcasm drenching her voice.

"Can I also have a unicorn? And a fairy? And cupcakes?"

Sighing she turned and walked back to her dragon. "I'm going to just cut to the chase, do you want to come with me, or stay here and watch your world crumble around you?"

"I don't know. Is it pretty, watching a planet crumble? In that case, I'll have to install a camera!"

The girl hissed under her breath. "I only have so much time, before I have to get back, I need your answer now." She climbed onto the windowsill and looked at me

"Ok, ok, I'll come. But do you promise?"

The girl looked at me and nodded. "Yes I promise you will get a dragon and a unicorn...but I haven't seen any fairies" She climbed onto her dragon's back and reached her hand out to me to help me climb on.

I reached out my hand, but didn't let her take it just yet.

"What about the cupcakes?"

She nodded. "Yes you will have those too."

"Ok, ok I'll come." I said, and gave her my hand.

I climbed onto the dragon, feeling the scales rasp my skin a little.

"What about Shoonga?" I asked. He had just stood there the whole time in amazement.

She looked over at the dragon. "He will be coming too. He is your dragon after all."

"WHAT?" Shoogan shouted, no longer amazed, but surprised and shocked.

"You're selling me to a HUMAN?"

"Oh stop wining you big baby, besides it is the boys choice if he wants to keep you or not." The girl crossed her arms and looked at Shoonga.

"So if he doesn't want me, you'll KILL ME?"

He was making a scene, I thought. Of course they wouldn't kill him, but I decided to have fun with it.

"Yes, of course! What did you think was going to happen?" I said.

He turned as white as a sheet. Well, as white as a dragon can turn, anyway.

The girl turned around to face the me then looked back at Shoonga. "Look ether you come or not, it's not my choice."

When Shoonga realized he had been tricked, he was furious.

"You-"

He stopped himself.

"Fine. Hop on, It's not like I care."

I got onto Shoonga with some difficulty, but when i had gripped tight around his neck he started to flap his wings.

With a smile the girl patted her dragons neck. "Lets go Aduna."

With a nod of her head the dragon beat it's wings a few times and began to rise into the air. It's wings almost see through against the suns light. Shoonga began to rise also, his scales a mixture of pink and turquoise. He must have been teased for that, he thought. He had also been laughed at for liking the colour pink, and wasn't to happy about the way the teachers handled it when he got bullied. They had stopped over the years, but the scars were still there.

"It wont take long for us to get to were we need to be." The masked girl said to him. Her black riding armor shining in the morning sun.

It didn't take them long to get to the forest, slowly Aduna flew down to the ground among the trees.

Shoonga lost balance a few feet above the ground, and they fell down into a bush right beneath.

"Oh, look, there's little creatures inside of here!"

Little gnome elves were escaping from the bush were they had landed, screaming things such as "Help us!" and "The titans are here at last! They're going to kill us!".

The girl got off her dragon and landed on the ground with a thud. Looking over at the boy and Shoonga she made sure they are fine. Then she turned her attention on the elves, kneeling done she said. "The titans aren't here yet.It's just that boy and his dragon."

Aduna gave a small snort of laughter.

"Hey! Don't call me that! I am NOT his dragon!" Shoonga said, striking a weird pose and continuing in a posh voice.

"I am my own master!" He said. I tried amazingly hard not to laugh.

"Hmm! Right, that didn't sound strange at all." Aduna said her eyes landing on the other dragon, the blue crests above her eyes raised.

Standing up the girl looked at both dragons. "Come on you two that's enough."

With that she turned around and walked towards a tunnel leading into the ground.

"Soo... What is this place?" I asked, getting up and starting to walk towards her.

The two dragons were walking together, Shoonga sending an evil glare towards Aduna.

"It's the tunnel into the world of the dragons," the strange girl said. "Here you will pick your dragon you will ride for the rest of your life."

Nodding her head towards the tunnel she walked in, the darkness cloaking her body.

Aduna followed after her. her tail trailing along the ground as she walked. Shoonga had cached up with me, still staring at Aduna.

"I thought Shoonga was my dragon?" I said, walking into the tunnel after her.

I was never that afraid of the dark, compared to my classmates, but it seemed that Shoonga was terrified. He excused himself holding me on the shoulder by telling me he was dizzy, and left it at that.

"Well he is your dragon, but if you two don't get along very well, you can always get another dragon." She told me.

A bright light could be seen on the other end of the tunnel.

Aduna ran ahead and flew out the other end of the tunnel, disappearing into the light.

"I think I'll keep him." I said, Shoonga looking at me confused.

"He's great entertainment."

At this, Shoonga did not care about the darkness. He let go of my shoulder and walked faster towards the light.

"Jerk." I could hear him mumble, storming off.

I laughed a little.

The girl shook her head. "Maybe you two will get along as time passes." She walked into the light and put a hand over her eyes to get used to it.

i did the same, expecting it to be a land of colours that looked like they had been colour bombs that had exploded inside the city.

I was not disappointed.

"Come follow me, there is a hut down there were I will tell the elders you have arrived." The girl said to him as she walked.

"Oh, girl," I said, running towards her.

"What's your name, masked dragon rider?" I looked at her, thinking she would not answer.

She stopped at the door of the hut and turned to face him. "well that is what outsiders call me, but no it's not my name." she sighed. "I guess I never told you did I, It's Rachel."

"Oh." I sounded a little let down, even though Rachel was a really nice name.

"I expected it to be Oooga, or something. Not a normal name like Rachel."

"I like it." I said, smiling.

Rachel smiled at him under her mask. "I do have a second name it's Ninna. You can call me what ever you want. Now we should go talk to the elders." She lifted her hand and was about to knock on the door.

"As you wish Cookie." I said, waiting for her reaction.

Rachel stiffened, she then shook her head and knocked on the door.

"Enter!" Came an old raspy voice.

Slowly Rachel opened the door and stepped in holding it open for me.

I went through the door and looked inside: It was ancient, and it was less colour there than in the rest of the village, but colour all the same, splashed in fine print across the walls.

"Ahh I see you have finished your mission." the old man said as he looked at me. "Tell me boy, what is your name?"

I realized that I hadn't said my name either, and apparently the others thought the same, because everyone was now staring at me.

"It's Richard." I said, feeling all the other's stares falter.

"Richard I do hope our Dragon rider here didn't force you here?" A young woman asked from the table. Her blond hair had been pulled back into a bun. She looked over her glasses at him.

Rachel looked at him through the eye shaped gaps in her mask.

"No, no, they promised me unlimited cereal, a dragon, a unicorn and cupcakes, so I'm good."

I said, counting on my fingers to illustrate. Then I grinned, leaving Shoonga more amused.

The young woman nodded her head. "I see. Well then. Your training to become a dragon rider will start tomorrow afternoon, and you will be trained by the best of the best in the village. Is this alright?" She asked folding her hands in front of her.

"Can't I just be trained by Rachel? I don't need the best, she'll do." I said.

The lady chuckled. "Well you see Rachel...Is the best."

"Oh. I see. Well then, honeybuns, let's get to training, shall we?" i said smugly to Rachel.

Rachel looked over at me. "What did you just call me?" she asked.

"Well, you said I could call you whatever I wanted, ninjacat, so it's your fault!"

"If you two don't mind, the elders and I have work, so you two may be going now." The woman wearing the glasses said, a little bit of irritation in her voice.

Rachel bowed her head. "Yes, we will be on our way."Then she turned and walked out the door.

When we were outside, I took a better look around the place:

Lots of little huts were everywhere you looked, except for one big field where many people were gathered. This was the training area, I thought to myself.

"So, where are we going oreo?" I asked teasingly.

Rachel turned to look at me. "We will be heading to my house. We will get you all settled in, then in the morning we will begin your training." Walks off with Aduna walking behind her. "I have a stable for the dragons. So Shoonga can stay there too."

"Awesome! Let's go then, sprinkles!" I followed Rachel, Shoonga at my side.

It didn't take us very long to reach Rachel's house. The sound of a waterfall can be heard nearby.

"Well this is it." Rachel walks up to the door and opens it. "Go on in."

I walked inside.

"Nice. So this is what your house looks like, huh? I always imagined you living in a little cottage, drinking hot cocoa and watching TV, while running around the table."

Rachel laughed. "In your dreams. Anyway this is the lounge."

She walks into a small but cozy looking room, it had one couch to the far wall, a small wooden table, along with a shelf full of books.

"Sorry, I don't have a TV. But if your hungry the kitchen is over here."

She walks out the lounge and down the hall and turns right into a tiled room, It was a modded kitchen, nothing really fancy. It had a table near the side with two chairs.

"It's also slash dining room."

"Neat. I like it. Where am I going to stay?" I asked, sitting down on a chair.

This was really a nice house, and I couldn't wait to explore the rest of the village.

Well, I could, but I didn't want to.

"You will be staying in one of the bedrooms. It's just down the hall to the left. Mine is on the right. Here I'll show you."

She walked out the room and down the hall again.

"That is the bathroom." Rachel walked a little more then stopped in front of a door.

"And this is your room."

I opened the door, and stepped inside.

It was a cute, colorful bedroom, similar to the village itself.

It had curtains over the window with little polka-dots on it, and flowers in small pots were placed on the windowsill. Like in the first room, there was a shelf there with lots and lots of books in it, combined with some petite stuffed animals. The bed was clean, and on the floor was a rug with blue dotty imprints on it. There was also a wardrobe, which looked antique because of the illustrations and patterns carved into the wood; swirls, cats, stripes and so on, filled the wardrobe with a sense of overwhelming cuteness.

"Wow," I said looking around the room. "So... CUTE!"

"My mother made this room." Rachel said, shaking her head she pointed out the room into another room. "My room is just over there. If you feel like changing anything in here, feel free to do so."

"No, It's cuteness fills me with determination, so I'm good. Where's your mother?"

"She died along time ago." Rachel looked at the ground. "Anyway, there should be some clothes you can wear in the cupboard It does get hot here." With that she walls out the room and into her own.

"Great." I said with a smile on my face. This was going to be exciting!

Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:28 am
Dossereana wrote a review...

Hi @FlamingPhoenix I am here to do a review on this work of yours, So lets get right in to it.

Okay so I no i'm not like you, but I just want to say that I would start, by maybe describing were they are, or mostly, like what tipe of a day it is, is it cloudy, sunny. I think you get the point right. okay one thing I did think that this line was a little funny though, I mean a dragon is there, Lol.

Okay these lines that i am mentioning is all in a row. So that means that you have said cereal three times. I can say that repetitiveness can get a little bit annoying if you say it to many times. But other then that, the lines are fine.

"Who are you?"

"But... Where am I?" The dragon asked.

Okay I feel like this conversation is a little bit lop sided for the readers, the last line I can understand hew is talking to hew because the dragon answered and that was a parent. but the other to lines There was nothing to tell you hew was speaking at that time. But that's all, this conversation is pretty good.

A large blue scaled dragon landed on the window of the bedroom, it's black eyes looking over the human and the fellow dragon in the room.

I like this bit, when I read this I just think, ew there's going to be conflict. I just think come on keep this up your doing great at this.

Okay these dragons are going to be cool I think, okay so I like how you saying that there not really suppos to be there, its getting a bit more intresting.

So that is all that I can say about this. If I was being to harsh then I am really sorry I really apoliges. So keep on writing your great.

I hope you have a great Day/Night

@Dossereana Out In The Sky Of Reviews

thanks for the review Doss it was great!

Dossereana says...

Glad to here it.

Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:38 am
shieldmaiden wrote a review...

Love this! So many favorite things about it:

1) I love how you introduced this story. Richard's reaction to the dragon (not normal as there was no screaming) was very catching. His obsession with his cereal killed me! :)

2) Richard's humor is very playful. His demands for a unicorn and cupcakes, his teasing Rachel with nicknames, and his amusement with Shoonga's attitude made me really like him.

3) Rachel's frustration and irritation made me laugh. Honestly, if I was her I would be frustrated too. Richard does not seem to take things very seriously.

One thing that confused me - Richard is okay with such a girly room? I would have thought that it would have bothered him to have such a "cute" room. But then, he is different.

Thanks for a lovely review. :D
This was a really fun chapter to write, But I don't think we will be continuing with the story i'm afraid.

shieldmaiden says...

Too bad - it was a really enjoyable read.

Fantascifi66 says...

Actually, why don't we continue? I have some time today, after school :)

I'm not sure if I have the Writer feed Pad anymore.

Fantascifi66 says...

Noooooo! But that's awful! What about everything we wrote :'(

I know. Sorry. We can write it again if you like?

Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:45 am
Horisun wrote a review...

I loved this! It was really good. I didn't see much of a problem with it other then a few I's that needed to be uppercase, and maybe that Richard is a tiny bit un-realistic. Maybe give him a bit more emotion? Maybe its just me. I also think the Elders could be fleshed out a bit. But the characters made me laugh, and I look forward to reading more from you!

Thanks for the lovely review. :D

Fantascifi66 says...

Thank you for reviewing! The reason Richard seems unrealistic, is that he thinks all this is a dream (my theory, at least)! %uD83D%uDE02 I'm really glad you liked it, because it was super fun writing it!

Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:44 pm
WriterSister33 wrote a review...

Okay!!!

Hello, here I am to write you Great authors a review!!
I realt like the story, it’s fin parts, a little boring part’s (for Richard)

I only noticed one fail and that was «Look, ether you come or not...» the right Word is either, just a small mistake that is easy to fix;)
I think it’s super great that you would write togheter and I hope it’s more on this story.
Keep up the good work, and have a Nice day or night;)

*sends hugs!!!

(Sandra..) hei, det er veldig lett å kjenne igjen hvor du har skrevet noen spesifike deler. Du har så morsomme og kreative setninger som gjør historien så bra;) (jeg kjenner jo ikke shikora så godt, og derfor ikke vet helt om hun skriver noen sånne spesielle ting:)

Hope you guys have hAd a grat Time hvile doing this;)

From
Sis33

Thanks for the review.

Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:42 pm
alliyah says...

The sarcasm is strong with these two characters! Made me laugh a few times! Nice chapter guys!

Thanks so much! :D

Fantascifi66 says...

Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:28 pm
FireSpyGirl wrote a review...

I love it! It's funny, and I need that a lot right now. You guys have done a great job, and I am looking forward to more! This is going be a short review, because I will just skip all the nitpicks. I'm really bad about those and trying to break that habit...comes from being an English freak I guess. :). However, there is one word that you guys misspelled. "Cubberd" is actually "Cupboard," however, if you guys are aiming for a different world completely, like how people talk and write, I would definitely stick with the way you have it!
That was all! :)

Thanks for the review! :D

Fantascifi66 says...

Thanks for the review Spy!

FireSpyGirl says...

;)

Irresponsibly-conceived assignments don't deserve responsibly-executed complies.
— Persistence