z

Young Writers Society


12+

Goodnight, Sister

by sheysse


Born from the same womb

you and me.

-

Born on the same day

you and me.

-

Grew up side by side

you and me.

-

Do you recall

that first day of school?

You dragged me around,

introducing me to everyone

-

Do you recall

High School Promotion,

standing side by side

on the stage,

beaming ear to ear?

-

Remember when

we graduated?

You as Class President,

I as Valedictorian

Practicing our speeches

to each other every day

for three weeks?

-

Our diplomas matched;

from the same college,

of the same degree

We stood proudly

beside one another,

holding them

-

We've always been

beside one another

standing proudly

You taught me

confidence,

and I love you for it

-

I have always loved you

-

I'm closing the coffin now

Closing a chapter of my life

This is the last time I'll see you?

Then, I guess this is goodbye.

-

Goodnight, sister.

-

I love you.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
80 Reviews


Points: 5229
Reviews: 80

Donate
Tue May 02, 2017 5:50 pm
View Likes
Jurelixranoanad wrote a review...



How dare you make me cry!
I like poetry that talks similarities, togetherness, and family, so this was just my cup of tea.
I was not expecting that twist at the end!


I enjoy writing poetry and could tell your new at this. There is a bunch of room for improvement. You just needed to balance it out, you had to much meat and not enough sandwich. There was not enough before the refrain "you and me".
You could try lumping the first section together then end with "you and me" that will make it mean more.
I love the conflict, I could easily tell this poem was starting and ending with conflict.
One thing that really stood out in your poem was that is was real English instead of poetry-speak type talking, if you know what I mean.
I genuinely feel in love with this and felt connected to the character the poem talked about, the way you perfectly decribed a sister bond made just that much more emotional.

Good Job and Keep Writing!!




sheysse says...


Thank you for the review! You hit the nail on the head... This is my first poem. So your review is greatly appreciated!



User avatar
806 Reviews


Points: 1883
Reviews: 806

Donate
Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:14 am
View Likes
Aley wrote a review...



Yeah, okay. I've been around the block a few times and I saw that one coming.

Once you start talking about similarities, togetherness, all that stuff, it's really obvious to me that you're going to off one of them. I expected it to be the speaker though, rather than the other one. I suppose I was just expecting that sort of twist rather than the usual thing to expect.

Because of that it wasn't really as touching to me.

I think you do some good things with this poem, but you have some room for improvement from an older point of view. For me, you needed more meat before your refrain. It was sort of like you didn't have the right balance between how much sauce and how much sandwich you had. There was too little with just one line before the refrain of "you and me" to make "you and me" mean anything unique each time, so I didn't really think the refrain worked like it should have.

What I mean is that you could have lumped the entire first section together in one stanza, and ended it with "you and me" and it would have had the same response. I like how you did the "Do you remember" refrain better because it had more substance between it and its fellow. You actually got into the story more, but the story was without conflict, and that told me that the twist was going to be the conflict, which would have to either be them no longer being together, or being bitter rivals.

I suppose that's why it was more predictable for me, I saw the set up.

I do really like how you're using your voice though. This style of poetry is what I enjoy reading because it's giving you a story in English rather than Poetry-Speak like with ribs and lungs playing an integral part in emotional content. Instead, the subtext plays the emotional content up.

I just want to see a little more complication in the story. I want to see more of it seem realistic. After all, to me it seems unrealistic that they would be without a conflict in their childhood where they attempted to identify their individuality. As someone who has known a lot of twins, and taken a few semesters of psychology, a key part of our identity is our individualized self. Two people who decided not to develop that is an oddity. Yes, I can kind of understand pushing it like this for the point of the poem, the huge "oh she's dead" moment, but it made it feel less realistic to have them be the same person twice.

You do have some uniquenesses between the two characters. The one was more social, the other one was more booky, but I want more. I want to get my teeth into that part of their relationship and understand it, but there's not enough here to see it.

All in all, I think you should write it again [That's the NaPo Spirit talking] because I think you could focus a little more on making the story a snapshot of her memories, the good and the bad, rather than an Ode to Sameness, and you'd end up with a poem that sounds more emotional for someone who catches on to the end of the story before the third stanza.

Last comment How to Format Poetry <- If you are having trouble figuring out how to structure your poems on YWS, this guide is to help with that and there are more of it's kind linked at the bottom if this one doesn't help you.




sheysse says...


Thank you for the review! This is my first attempt at poetry, and while I knew it was a common topic, I tried it anyway to see what would happen. Thanks for the feedback, and I think I will write it again with your advice. Once again, Thanks!



User avatar
117 Reviews


Points: 481
Reviews: 117

Donate
Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:46 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...



Dear god Sheyren, you make me cry before my twin's even dead. I will kill you. Savagely. With a knife. Just watch me.

In other words it's a love-hate relationship, which you can pretty much take as a complement




sheysse says...


;)

(I wink a lot, don't I?)



Featherstone says...


Yes, you do.



User avatar
24 Reviews


Points: 151
Reviews: 24

Donate
Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:47 am
View Likes
LucytheBrave wrote a review...



I genuinely flipped out when I read this. It's so beautiful. I love how sporadic and disorganized it is. It really get's the feeling across, that nostalgic, almost devastating tone. It's amazing. I also really relate to this, this special bond between sisters, twins especially. Do you have a twin?
I understand how hard it can be to say goodbye. It's something everyone comes to experience, and it's so much stronger when it's a sibling, and so much more when it's a twin. I feel deeply related to this poem.
I like the way the poem shifts, too. It flows from one section to another , though kind of randomly, in a way that really represents the emotion you are trying to convey.

Thank you So Much for writing this.

~Lucy




sheysse says...


Thank you! I am glad you enjoyed this!
While I don't have a twin, I look nearly identical to my older sister. I wrote this with the emotion is experience losing her. Once again, I'm glad you enjoyed this! :)



User avatar
21 Reviews


Points: 317
Reviews: 21

Donate
Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:47 pm
View Likes



Super awesome poem, though it was extremely sad, I had wanted o cry at end. Please tell me this is not a personal poem, and if it is, I am extremely sorry. Nonetheless, beautiful poem. I would love to write a review, though I believe it would take me awhile to find things to fix.




sheysse says...


Not a true story. Glad you enjoyed it!





Oh phew, super glad it's not a true story. That would be indescribably horrid and sad.

Of course! It was a beautiful, emotional poem. Well thought out.




Cheat your landlord if you can and must, but do not try to shortchange the Muse. It cannot be done. You can’t fake quality any more than you can fake a good meal.
— William S. Burroughs