16+

Anticlimactic Monochrome Scenery ||| Break My Heart: Burned Edition

by Sherri

Edit: Forgot to add my forenote :D

Alright, so the PoV will change from chapter to chapter. I don't use full names, only the first letter of the name we were all most familiar with. The first is E, a 19 year old lesbian from South Carolina and a close friend. The second will be C, a 22 year old dear from Virginia who dabbles in custom... everything, I suppose. And the third is V, a virtual high school student from Kansas with little to no contact with the outside world. The final character that pops up a lot is K, the newest and youngest member to the group of friends. She's 15, mormon, and learning to manage with friends from the LGBT+ community. 

This is a true story, unfortunately. 

I'd really like to make this tribute count; tear it apart, and if you have any suggestions, feel free to let me know. I'd like to make it as good as possible. Cara deserves that :)

Thank you so much!!

I'll stop the forewording now... XD

*****

She exhaled slowly, letting the cigarette drift away from strawberry-red lips as the smoke curled away from her teeth and spilled over her nose. It clouded her vision with sharp white chemicals, burning her lungs, stinging her eyes. Such a nasty habit, and yet...

Flicking the tip of the white Marlboro against the ashtray she'd sat beside her on the cushion of the lawn chair, she sniffed in the crisp night air, hyperaware of the sounds of the street below. Usually, she'd bring the cigarette right back up to her mouth and hit again. Over and over till the smoke was gone, and even then she'd just slip another from the gold-and-white pack. Over and over. Over and over.

Some days she thought it was just another form of suicide. Made sense; she'd lost everything but her cigarettes, her lawn chair, and her run-down two-room apartment on the fourth floor. Dirty furniture, broken appliances, creepy neighbors... her life had all the downsides to every situation. It was negative thinking like that, though, that had gotten her here in the first place. But where else to go? Her mom and siblings--older sister, younger brother, and the step-brother she hated more than anything--were happy with their newfound father figure back in Georgia. Her place in South Carolina was a left-behind dream of all that she'd wished her life would bring. Four rooms, white tiles in the bathroom, plaid quilts and warm popcorn. Lemon slushies in the afternoon, curled up with a visiting girlfriend she'd loved so dearly.

The cigarette flew up to her mouth again, and she gripped it hard between her teeth, agonized by the gloom the memories brought on. What had she done?! Living in her ex's small apartment in Virginia, listening to the silence as it coated the grime and the hate. This place hated her; felt what she had done to its rightful owner.

Dumping her girlfriend of three years was thing.

Killing her was another entirely.

Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:32 am
Despondence wrote a review...

Hello there, Despondence dropping in for a quick review!

I'm going to start with your strong points. First off, even though this was extremely short for a first chapter, you made the most of it. You have really nice and strong word choice. I adored your description of her smoking, saying how she felt it was a form of suicide. It grabbed my attention and made me want more of your writing. However, I was disappointed when I quickly reached the end of the chapter. I can also feel the bitter-sweetness the main character here feels for her old life. But again, due to the shortness of it, I can't gravitate and connect more with her, which is a shame.

The aforementioned shortness is a flaw. There seems to be so much more potential here, but it comes off as nothing but short exposition. I was left with such a feeling of confusion at the last line, I wanted to know more. If she seems so happy and reminiscent about living with her old girlfriend, why did she kill her? What was the circumstances? If you want your first chapter to end on a cliffhanger, there's nothing wrong with that. But perhaps not one like this, at least when you barely have enough writing to compensate the end of a chapter.

Anyways, I hope this review helped! I'd love to see this touched up and see where the story goes. Your concept is one that I would adore to see more of!
~Despondence

Sherri says...

Hello Despondence!! I absolutely adore your username :D
Thank you for the review! I really appreciate it :)
I know this chapter is very short XD I plan on fixing that soon. Since this is a true story, and I know how it ends, I'll admit to being very angry with her. Because of her neglect, we've lost a friend, and it's hard to forgive someone for that. As a result, I lost patience when writing chapters from her point of view. I'm getting over it now, and have begun to patch up the chapters. I'll repost a longer version soon :)
Thanks again for the review! It really helped; I was going to see if shortness was an issue, so now I know to go back and lengthen it a bit :)

Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:32 am

Hi there, I'm here to review!

The description of your piece seems interesting but a little scattered at this point. The foreword similarly left me feeling that you might need to focus the story a bit if you choose to continue with it. I've never reviewed a true story before, so am unsure how to proceed, ultimately do what seems true and authentic to you so it can be a genuine tribute, but there is always room for improvement in formatting/clarity/editing etc.

This seemed a bit short for a first chapter. About half of it, is just about the character smoking a cigarette. There's nothing wrong with a short chapter, but it may be hard to move the story along if they are all so short.

Some grammar critiques:
Most of your grammar, word choice, and formatting seemed right on point, I should have a few suggestions.
The phrasing of this line seems a bit off "Dirty furniture, broken appliances, creepy neighbors... her life had all the downsides to every situation." I understand what you mean, the phrasing is just a bit awkward.

"newfound" is two separate words.

The line about the character describing her old house made me laugh a little bit. Why are "white tiles in the bathroom" so great? I guess it would help to have a comparison to what she has now, so we understand the feelings that she is expressing. The sentence following that one about "lemon slushies" is not a sentence on it's own and should maybe be combined with the last one.

This line doesn't make any sense to me "Dumping her girlfriend of three years was thing." Although I am very intrigued by your last line "Killing her was another entirely". Did this person really kill her ex-girlfriend? The chapter leaves me with questions, and wanting to read more.

Good first chapter to start to establish background - having some more descriptions of her current living situation and the girlfriend (name, appearance, relationship etc) would be good. But you have a good start and pretty good grammar and imagery as well.

Good luck with future writing!

Happy Review Day!

~alliyah
TEAM BOOKENDS

Sherri says...

Hi Alliyah!
This is actually my first time writing a true story, to be honest. XD I know it's not the best.
The reason for the abnormal focus on seemingly random things is intentional for a multitude of reasons. Firstly, the 'girlfriend' who passed loved sensual details and abstract surrealness in writing. I usually hate this side of my writing style, but she adored it, and had me write waaaaay too many stories using it. I figured I'd use it here as a tribute. On a different side of the same coin, I'm basically using information given to me through interviews. All of the people involved tried to express the strange sensation that the small, meaningless details popped out to vivid clarity during this time. It wasn't a time you could think straight, and logically, and reasonably. It was a time where white tiles and lemon slushies were the subjects you focused on, and death and cigarette smoke somehow walked hand in hand. With an answer like that, it makes it extremely difficult to write XD When lengthening this chapter, I'll try and amend the overly-abstractness.
The whole book is going to be kind of jumpy and abstract, unfortunately, until I can get a grasp of what I want and rewrite it with editor's notes and reviews in mind. I'll work hard to keep it decently written, though! :D
Thanks again for the review! I appreciate the feedback :D

alliyah says...

I actually enjoyed the randomness of it - it gives the piece style! I was just looking for a little bit more clarification or insight into the randomness (ie. why are white tiles important/does her current room not have tiles?). And overall it was an interesting read! Good luck & you're very welcome for the feedback!!

It's like being in love, discovering your best friend.
— Elizabeth Wein, Code Name Verity