z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

What do I want for when I die?

by ShaikhTheWorld


The ominous announcement came suddenly.

"The truth is, I'm dying."

"Oh." I replied.

"Aren't we all?"

He smiled, and answered excitedly.

"Exactly!", before continuing, "Might as well share a reminder to prepare for it in some way, eh? I suggest leaving something behind that you'll be remembered by. I'll start."

So saying, he spontaneously ripped a page out of the old musty tome I was holding onto and presented it to me in a masterful display.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 51
Reviews: 9

Donate
Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:03 am
View Likes
riles wrote a review...



Hi, I’m Riles!

I wanted to start off by saying that your poem was super thought-provoking and I enjoyed reading it. It was mostly rythmic and lyrical, and I especially loved the way certain lines were pretty poignant.

I say “mostly” rythmic and lyrical because there was a few lines that interuppted the flow as I was reading it. This mostly started happening in the “I want” section. It almost went from a poem to a list. Although obviously in the poem right then you are just listing things, but I think that section could be really stunning if the flow was smoother. Perhaps cut some unnecessary words out, or see if one word can replace a string of words and mean the same thing.

There were several lines here that I really loved. “Maybe one last chance at saying goodbye.” This line is really strong. And the rhyming with “die” in the previous line was really spot on. “Honestly, I won’t lie.” I love that line! It’s simple, but shows vulnerability. I am, however, a bit confused about the line following that. “Answer no longer from me will you have to pry.” Is that supposed to be “Answers”? This line seems a bit mixed up, and I don’t really understand it

Overall, this is a really strong poem! I loved reading it, it was so poetic and beautiful. Keep up the awesome work!






Hello there!

First of all, I have to thank you for how supportive you are throughout your review - reading it made my day! :D

Indeed, I deliberately disrupted the flow with the "I want:" section, and personally feel it serves my purposes well - however, you've shared some interesting ways to improve that I'll have to look into.

I meant for the wording to be "Answer", since the following stanza was supposed to be a long answer to the question of "What do I want for when I die?" (the poem's title) - sorry for the confusion. :P

I'm glad that you found so much of my poem enjoyable, and hope to impress you again next time! :3



riles says...


Of course! I see- that%u2019s a cool author choice! When I relooked at the poem after reading your response, I realized that leaving it disrupting the flow actually kind of highlights the importance of it. Cool!

I%u2019ll be sure to read more of your work!



User avatar
1228 Reviews


Points: 144000
Reviews: 1228

Donate
Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:02 am
View Likes
alliyah wrote a review...



Hey there,

I'm here to review your lovely poem on the reflection of a passing life.

I enjoyed the way that you covered a topic that's been covered time and time again in poetry and prose in a way that wasn't cliche or overly dramatized, but honest, reflectively, and philosophically.

There were several lines that pulled at the heart-strings, "maybe one last chance to say good bye" being one of them.

I have to say that the lines that went really long felt a little stilted, and the flow wasn't quite as good. Try to make those few lines a bit shorter if possible. Although I know the rhyme scheme is hard enough to preserve as well.

The story that you began the poem with was an interesting set-up although not completely necessary either, since I think people can easily fill in the details of their own experiences of loved ones passing with a poem like this. I do wonder if you could perhaps make that beginning a bit more poetic - maybe by changing up the formatting or adding the use of more metaphor or figurative language in it. Or you could even end in another prose reflection/end of the story. Just a thought, to make the piece feel more cohesive as a literature unit.

Lastly, I think that the tone was a bit odd at the end. I think for a poem about death ending in the word "demise" it ends on a sort of sour note. The stanza that preceded it might even be a better ending.

Overall, it was a simple poem, but I think it spoke truthfully and packed a punch.

~alliyah

Image






I wrote this poem in a single setting, upon receiving divine revelation in a shaikhy form, hence the problems with being slightly wordy with somewhat inconsistent flow. xD

Kidding aside, it's definitely somewhere I need to improve, but with this being a poem I wrote 2 years ago I wanted to preserve it in its original state.

I agree that the set-up could take a multitude of literary directions, but I wanted to keep it short and sweet, and think it went pretty well. Will try to add a sneaky metaphor in the future though. :3

Ah, I agree about the ending - as it happens, here is the alternate one, just for you:

"For you to solemnly and with sincerity pray
Before comes to you too the end of your stay"

Thanks for your excellent review, gave me lots to think about! :D



User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 1788
Reviews: 20

Donate
Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:56 am
View Likes
maishaywca says...



Your work is good. I liked the way you started it.

Actually, it's true that we must all die. So, we should think about it.

nice work. keep it up..






Thanks for your comment! :D



User avatar
30 Reviews


Points: 73
Reviews: 30

Donate
Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:35 pm
View Likes
Daenyss wrote a review...



Hi! I love how there's a short, novel-like aspect to the beginning of this, and then how you have the poem on the image.

Your grammar is great. Bravo to you for that. However, your pacing feels just a little disjointed at times. The first stanza's last line reads entirely too long for the stanza, yet the second stanza feels unfinished to me. You may be a fan of grouping your lines in threes, but i often feel, especially in poems with rhyme schemes, that the stanzas read feeling unfinished.

Also, something that feels disjointed in this is the insertion of the "I want." It simply reads as something that was shoved in there. If I could suggest something, I think it would flow a bit better if you inserted another line in the next-to-last stanza of the piece, what would be the last line of the stanza, something to affect of "This is what I want for when I die."

One more thing: there are more forms of punctuation than just question marks and commas, and don't be afraid to use them! Periods help with pacing a lot, and the help the reader know when to pause to take things in. In school, when you're taught to read poems, you're taught to read punctuation mark to punctuation mark, regardless of line breaks. If I do that with your piece, I get a jumbled, unpaced piece. Just my opinion, disregard if you want.

Altogether, great job and keep writing!






Hey there!

I usually group my lines in fours, this poem just turned out different, in a good way. :3

I understand where you're coming from with the "I want:" insertion, its an unorthodox way of doing things but I personally love it. xD

Punctuation is definitely an area I'd like to improve upon eventually, but since my current poem-images have already been created, I feel better about just going ahead and posting them for now.

Thanks for your kind words, and the super informative review! :D



User avatar
121 Reviews


Points: 110
Reviews: 121

Donate
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:06 pm
View Likes
manilla wrote a review...



Hi, I'm here for a little review

The story you wrote above adds a nice addition for the poem you wrote below. Another person might say it almost creates a happy mood, but it gives light to what's really going on (someone's dying.)

The meter in this poem is very prominent, but one line,

"Just as I will in my grave when Death comes for me one day"
could possibly be shortened (I'm not a poetry specialist, so shrug this off if this offends you!).

The meaning of the poem is presented so honestly, a simple, lasting yearning for loved ones to hear. Questions are asked that everyone else will one day:
"What do I want for when I die?"


It's haunting in a way, the candle graphic you picked helping to add to that. And using "I want" so suddenly, even giving it a stanza of its own, creates the finality (is that a word?) of this moment.

This is beautiful - Good work.






This review was a pleasant read.
Thank you for your kind words! :D



manilla says...


You're very welcome ^^




We join for the writing and stay for the community!
— Horisun