z

Young Writers Society



Blind, Bound, Bleeding.

by Shadowstalker


Blind,
Bound,
Bleeding.

Red hot pain
removed my eyes;
I am Blind.

Burning coarse ropes
bind my wrists behind,
bind my ankles together,
hold my flesh unkindly;
I am Bound.

Seeping warmth,
seeping life, ebbing down my arms,
ebbing down my legs,
seeping through the gaps
in my bruised and broken flesh,
puddling my life beneath me.
I am Bleeding.

Blind,
Bound,
Bleeding.

Alone in the silence,
mute in the darkness,
held in the death
that began my life;
I am Blind.

Torn from the truth,
concealed from the lies,
hidden within their hearts,
I am Bound.

Whispering the silence,
Bound in the secrets,
Weeping for mercy;
I am Bleeding.

Blind,
Bound,
Bleeding,

Within you,
Needing you,
but Ignored.

~~~~~~

It's been a while since I've written any poetry, and thing something as ...unsual as this pops out. I think I have issues, either way, feel free to shred it in your critiques.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
516 Reviews


Points: 4890
Reviews: 516

Donate
Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:34 am
Riedawriter23 wrote a review...



lol, most of the things I was going to say have already been pointed out so I'm just going to comment on this. I loved the repetition and even just the form of the stanzas. I think that since it's such a blunt poem that you get the true meaning of it all. It isn't hidden by fancy adjectives and such, very subtle and easy to understand while also entertaining. Great job on this.

Keep it up!
~Rieda




User avatar
701 Reviews


Points: 10087
Reviews: 701

Donate
Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:05 am
bubblewrapped wrote a review...



Hmm. Well, other critiquers have pointed out most of the things that bugged me, but I just have to reiterate (ironically) that the repetition didnt do anything for me. I started to get annoyed with the whole concept, and it didnt help that it wasnt all that original anyway.

Personally, I'd work on exploring where this came from and what it's trying to say. I didnt feel the meaning came through much until the end, which was powerful in its own way but at the same time seemed almost divorced from the poem. I just didnt see the connection, I guess. Work on your imagery too; engage a few more senses, and a bit more poetic language.

Overall a good poem, though.

Cheers,
~bubbles




User avatar
203 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 203

Donate
Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:57 pm
October Girl says...



I liked it, it created a perfect scene. I liked alot. I felt like I was in pain.
Keep writing!!!




User avatar
2058 Reviews


Points: 32885
Reviews: 2058

Donate
Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:57 pm
Emerson wrote a review...



Ah, Jasmin pointed out some good things. Word choice is very important when you are trying to make the reader feel, so read over and consider how you can make your words more powerful, but with as little use of adjectives as possible.

I have to disagree and say that I didn't like the repetition, only because, what did it add to the poem? What did it achieve? In my opinion, nothing. Repetition should be done to create some kind of affect, this didn't do that [for me].

I liked your third stanza the mosts, I think, but even then I think you could use more powerful words, and do more to create feelings of pain and emotion.

As it stands, this poem is OK, but you want to bring the reader into it more. Why are you feeling like this? We don't know, so we can't relate, and we can't really understand it. We also can't feel with you, and a good poem will make the reader feel. Maybe add something [or rewrite it?] so we understand why you are hurting. But don't tell us either, you do a lot of telling. Show us. Use imagery and the senses to spice it up.

This reminded me of Taub-Stumm-Blind although, why, I'm not sure? hah.




User avatar
661 Reviews


Points: 15961
Reviews: 661

Donate
Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:10 pm
Jasmine Hart wrote a review...



I'll probably be slaughtered for this, but I reckon most writers have issues. If they didn't, they probably wouldn't be able to write very well.
I wasn't too keen on the start of this.I'm not entirely sure about the use of "Blind" etc, though I see what you're trying to do. I'd try to come up for some other description for pain, other than "red hot", which isn't overly original.
I really enjoyed the third stanza, the imagery was good here. I think I'd use a different word instead of "unkindly" though, something stronger, as this word weakend the overall effect of the verse. The fourth stanza was great.
I liked the sixth stanza, especially "mute in the darkness". I felt the next stanza was a little weak by comparison.Your imagery was weaker, and "hidden within their hearts" was a little stale.
The next stanza was a little weak too. "Weeping for mercy" wasn't all that fresh, and I think I'd change the first two lines to:
Whispering in the silence,
Bound by the secrets.
I like the ending. It was chilling and powerful and concise.
Hope this helps.




User avatar
1176 Reviews


Points: 1979
Reviews: 1176

Donate
Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:00 pm
Twit wrote a review...



Ouchie!

That's not very reverent, but... :roll: I thought this was good; it created the scene well. Too well, hence said "ouchie!"

I liked the repetition and capitalization of "Bound" "Bleeding" "Blind" and "Ignored". :) Others might tell you different, but I liked those things a lot.





Too bad all the people who know how to run this country are busy running taxicabs or cutting hair.
— George Burns