English

by Shadow_Thief13

As a growing writer it’s still hard to pinpoint exactly what my strengths are. However, if I were to have any then I would have to say that I do have a knack of developing characters and describing them. Description, there’s another thing I’m good at. Unfortunately, my sentence fluency and organization is just a couple of my downfalls and therefore mess a little with my descriptions. Also, conventions are another problem with my skills as a writer. I definitely have a habit for putting in unnecessary commas or not enough. On occasion I also find myself using the wrong punctuation or other conventions in the wrong places or just not at all.

Out of all my pieces of writing, I find myself drawn mostly to my original poem. Of course, this is probably because I’ve always liked the more depressing, haunting poems that seem to reach out and speak more openly in a twisted, mysterious way. This poem in particular has better sentence fluency than the majority of my work and has a larger vocabulary than several pieces as well.

Now as I sit here listening to Katie Perry’s Hot N Cold, I am reading this particular question, “Your biggest area of improvement as a writer from the previous year” on your handout sheet as I drink orange juice. Now I know that this has nothing to do with the assignment, but I just felt the need to say this. Of course my best area of improvement would actually be everything, as each assignment seemed to extend my ideas and professionalism in any category. Although if I had to choose just one area I would honestly have to say conventions because that has always obviously been my weakest point in the many forms and areas of writing.

If a story is in you, it has to come out.
— William Faulkner