z

Young Writers Society


12+

Disappointments then Achievements: Chapter 1

by ShadicMasters


Losing Grip

I sit in the corner crying with my head buried in my arms as I hear children getting adopted and the children giggling with excitement, a few kids came over to me and started kicking me as hard as they could or screaming insults at me. The next moment I find that my friend Ada had come over to check on me “You alright?” she asks as she lifts up my head and sees that my eyes are red from crying “You know that you can come play with me and my friends”.

I just look back down and silently hope that she`ll go away, but she doesn’t. She sits next to me and says “Please let me help, we`ve both been through the same cruel abandonment” I turn to her and something in her eyes that I couldn`t make out but she looked hurt, I couldn`t stand to see her hurt so I told her “The kids that got lucky were making fun of me, how I would never get picked”. “Who said it?” she asked taking me back as I wasn`t expecting the question, but I answered anyway “Ace, Adam and a few girls” I replied as I shrunk back into my arms only to get pulled out again by my friend.

“Come on, it’s time for school” and I just complain about how much I hate school and don`t wanna go… only to be dragged to my room by Ada who’s telling me to do something productive since today was the first day of the year. For a moment I’m tempted to get lazy, but I’m afraid to disappoint Ada so I get dressed and pack my bag before going to meet her at the bus stop. The bus arrives, but Ada still hasn’t arrived. I get on the bus and at the last moment I hear her yelling for the bus to wait, luckily the bus stops and the she gets on out of breath with messy hair from her frantic running.

At school

“See you later Ada, I promised to meet my friends at the handball courts” I say as I start running off “Bye Jason, take care” she yells back as her friends come down to hug her. I meet my friends and we manage to fit one more game of handball in before the bell started ringing. We race to the lines hoping to be in the same class, when we’re in lines. They ask me if I’ve been adopted yet and at that moment, I tried hard not to let my feeling showing. I stayed silent in fear I would blurt too much information out, my friends didn`t pry into the issue.

As they gave us our classes, I was surprised to see that I was going to be in the same class as Ada. During class, pretty much everyone knew that Ada and I knew each other well because we were doing everything together. We bonded pretty well over the weeks because we basically were living together, then a lot went downhill when someone called us boyfriend and girlfriend. We didn`t know what it meant and assumed they were words to describe what gender a friend was, but when I asked the principle…he told me it was about a romantic relationship. I told Ada and she started yelling at everyone that we were siblings. I didn`t know why she said we were siblings, but I went with it.

After school one day, when me and Ada were sitting in my room and talking, suddenly a there’s a knock on the door that scares both of us. I open the door to see one of the nurses, she asked me to come with her for something. “Sorry Ada, I`ll be back as soon I can” I say as I leave the room “Bye Jason” she says back and I swear her voice had a hint of sadness. “So why do you want me?” I ask still analyzing Ada’s voice.

“Someone who claims to be your sister is here” replied the nurse and at those words, something in my mind unlocked and the frustration and sadness I had hidden away years ago slowly trickled out and I struggled to lock it back in place. “I thought my sister died” I croaked as I wiped away a tear from my eye “So did we, but she seems to be alive and well”. There was something fishy about this, I only had a younger sister and she was mute by birth. As I enter the manager’s office, I see a little girl with her supposed parents “Why am I here?” I ask trying to look as neutral as I could while leaning against the wall “You’re here because these kind people have decided to pick you to be adopted” “How do you know I want to be adopted?” “You’ve been here for years, you must be sick of this place” “I`m not, I’ve got Ada and if she’s not coming then I’m not going” I say stubbornly before leaving the room assuming that they didn`t want to adopt two kids.

I told Ada about it and she was moved so much that she gave me a hug and kiss, I don’t know why she did it because it`s gross. The very next day though…..Ada is moved to another orphanage and I-I’m shattered, I don`t know what to do and on the same day. The people came back and I want with them with no resistance.

4 years later

As I walk through the corridor of the high school talking to a friend, I feel someone stare and I stop and look around and nearly drop the book I was holding, I see Ada standing there and she is as shocked as I am “Is that you Jason?” she says in disbelief, I laugh with relief “You remember me?” I ask while my other friend is just standing beside me confused. She hugs me and I hear her giggling over my shoulder “So where did they take you?” “The place I went to wasn’t very pleasant, but I found a good family” she said happily “You?” “The day after you left, I went with the family that tried to adopt me the day before you left”. “Anyway this is Ace, Ace this is Ada” I say remembering that my friend was next to me, I looked at my watch “Gotta go, I forgot I got detention see you guys tomorrow” I said before running to get to my class for detention. (Last Check 30/7/15)

After a few weeks, Ada and I were basically back to the stage we were at except Ada seemed to be hiding something from me. A few days after I started to feel as if she was hiding something from me, I had to ask “What are you hiding from me?” “Well…..” she started but then Ace ran up to me and quickly said “youbettercalmyourgirlorelseshe’sgonna causetrouble” before trying to catch his breath “Can you repeat that?”I ask “and slowly this time?” “O…k just..let.me catch….my ..breath” he puffed “I caught your girl so is that a good thing or bad thing?” asked Ada and after living with overdramatic adopted sister, I could tell that Ada was jealous of something. But what? was the question “Is there something wrong Ada?” “NO” she yelled before covering her mouth and blushing from embarrassment “I mean no..”.

“I`m just gonna pretend I didn`t hear you yell” I say before turning to as and explain angrily “Also, she’s not my girl, she just wants attention, she complains about all her problems, I can`t stand her so stop referring to her as my girl” I say angrily “OK, ok ok, but it’s Layla” “What does she want this time” I groan “Ladies man eh?” teased Ada lightly pushing against my shoulder “Shut up, not in the mood for this, What does she want?” “She needs help with acids and alkalis” “Can’t you help her?” “Uumm…she says your smarter” he mumbled looking at his feet “I`ll go help her, Ada you wanna come?” “Sure” she said quietly looking at the ground and silently following me.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 647
Reviews: 5

Donate
Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:24 pm
ShadicMasters says...



Just to say, i won't be making another chapter till i redo this one.The reason is because if i do another chapter, it would probably be out of sync with the redone chapter 1. I have trouble making chapter 2 then making chapter 1, so i'll try to change it a bit and if that one is ok, the i'll start writing the next chapter




User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 210
Reviews: 53

Donate
Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:02 am
jumpingsheep wrote a review...



I enjoyed the concept for this story! I agree with Red that you could add some more descriptive details to really bring this story to life!
The time breaks seem a bit awkward and I'm wondering if there is a better way to do those. The "four years later" was fine, but I would fix the "at school". Grammar wise, I found a couple errors, but nothing too serious. For example, you seem to switch back and forth from the present tense and the past tense, and sometimes it's hard for a reader to adjust back and forth. I would recommend you go through and try to get your tenses to agree. Other than those few things, you're off to a good start! Keep writing... I would love to read more chapters of this!

And welcome to YWS! I recently joined at the beginning oft he summer and it's a fantastic community to be a part of :-)

Good luck, and if you have any questions feel free to PM me!






thanks



User avatar
91 Reviews


Points: 1931
Reviews: 91

Donate
Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:42 am
Redbox275 wrote a review...



Hey their I'm Redbox275 or Red as they call me.

I see you are a fresh new member to YWS. Wellcome and we are glad to have you here.

Okay I checked out your story and I have a lot to say.

First, I noticed about your writing is that there is too much tell and not enough show. There needs to be more detail. Use all five senses, adjectives and even verbs to describe things. (I.e strolled instead of just walk)

Instead of...
"a few kids came over to me and started kicking me as hard as they could or screaming insults at me,"
Something like this would paint a more clear and emotional picture.

Five of the older kids surrounded me. I didn't want trouble so I backed up but I found my self against the cold, hard wall. Cornered. My heart beat felt like a hammer in my chest anticapating what they would do to me. I couldn't fight back. They were bigger, older, and I was out numbered. Then there was a blow to my shins. I sucked in a deep breath from the sharp pain in my leg. The guy to the right delivered another harsh kick.

"No family would ever adopt you," one girl smirked condescendingly.

Another girl chimed in,"Yeah, who would want weak little things like you."

It's not the best example but hopefully it will give the point.

Then there the punctuation for dialog is incorrect. You need your punctuation in the quotes.

Incorrect:
I told her “The kids that got lucky were making fun of me, how I would never get picked".

Correct:
I told her, "The kids that go back were making fun of me, how I would never get picked."

If you're unsure if what your writing is grammatically incorrect then google it or look into your favorite novel for examples to see if the punctuation is right. When it comes to dialog's grammer it can get sort of complicated but I know you can get the hang of it easy. Many writers struggle with the rules themselves.

Something that bothered me while reading was the paragraph were way larger than they needed to be. When writing dialog, when someone new speaks you need to make it a new paragraph. It was confusing reading it at first.

Also generally when someone new speaks you want to give them a tag (Jerry said, Molly craoked, laughed the nurse).

That reminds me. The content of you dialog was okay. It definitely has potential but it feels off.

"Please let me help, we`ve both been through the same cruel abandonment”
This here is off. Twleve year olds don't usually say "cruel abandonment".

Actually looking back the content if isn't bad but the emotional reactions I feel are unrealist or rushed.

Next is you need to avoide repetition of vocabulary.
"The bus arrives, but Ada still hasn’t arrived."
Word: Arrive

" to be hiding something from me. A few days after I started to feel as if she was hiding something from me, I had to ask “What are you hiding from me? "
Phrase: hiding something/hiding from

It's my writing pet peeve when I or other writer repeat phrases. It ruins the flow and decreases variety.

Okay so what I LOVED ABOUT THIS STORY is the relationship between Jason and Ada. It's very sweet and very likable and I feel like they have nice chemestry.

Overall, add those descriptions, clean up on the dialog, and add variety to wording and spice it up!

I would for you to write another chapter for this.

I hope you enjoy YWS and make good friends because it's a good site.

Keep writing because I know you will be great one day.

-Red275

P.s remember to review other's works as well. We want to know your opinion too.






Thanks, i'll change it a bit. Their not 12 yet, the idea of them using bigger words came from how i saw kids who went through more trials tended to grow up quicker. But thanks for the review



Redbox275 says...


Oh right, they are probably ten.

Also your right kids who do go through more i think grow up faster... I imagine though kids who grew up in an orphanage where they were abandon and bulled probably are antisocial, emotionally troubled, and usually are more cold and serious to cope. I may be wrong but when they say "tend to grow up faster" I don"t think they mean they have a larger vocabulary. People who use larger vocabulary are more mentally mature. What I mean by that is that they are smarter for their average age.

It's important to research before, during, and after writing. I heard you shouldn't procrastinate on it and not write. Looking up information you may not know like how orphanages work and how certain event like abandonment effect people. Putting in the effort of research would make your story more realistic and you more well rounded.




The greatest part of a writer’s time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book.
— Samuel Johnson