How Funny

by ShadedLight

Why do you laugh?

That is my only question for you as you sit there in the rickety principal's chair that creaks with your slightest movement. As you constantly shift positions, the deputy glares at you. Stop moving. That is an order.

A motley assortment of professionals surrounds you. Police officers, child psycologists, principal, vice principal, and superintendent. Your parents sit on either side, mother wiping tears, father sending out vibes that you will be really getting it at home later.

In the center of the room sits your laptop. Exhibit A.It contains what the normal teenage boy's computer contains. Illegaly downloaded music, highly addictive gory games, and pornagraphic photos of your girlfriend. These, however; are not today's concern.

A post and a reply. A post on a generic website: MySpace, FaceBook, Twitter- does the medium truly matter? Not really. It's the chatspeak and emoticons that you reveiwed dilligently before replying, doing everything in your power to sound cool, not like some loser who spends his entire day assaulting his retina's with everything he can from the internet.

lol. thats so tru... put those sonsabitches in there palce! :D

No, it's not that bad-I grant you that, untilthe post above it is revealed.

Hate this fucking place... teacher's think they own me, kids think they're all that... watch while I one up Columbine...

You "liked" that. Thought it was funny, hilarious even. How long were you "laughing out loud'?

That's strange.... you weren't smiling when the cops ordered the school put into lockdown, or when from your place in the office, you saw the Deputy (the one that's glaring at you? The very same.) tackle your favorite comedian and tighten a pair of hand cuffs around his wrists. Wasn't it funny when he pulled the knife from the boy's pocket and the .9mm from his backpack? Turns out you didn't think so, in fact, you looked like you were about to piss your pants.

Why?It was sidesplitting last night.

The deaths of students and teachers was so funny last night, when you could hide behind a profile page. So, as you sit there, shaking uncontrollably, about to start bawling, answer my question.

Why do you laugh?

Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:15 am
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...

Hey! Forever here with a review!!

This was a very powerful piece that made me think about today's reality.

I just wonder if this story is in second person narrative. I have never read any second person narrative story, so I can't be too sure about it but your 'you's made me think so. This doesn't seem to be third person narrative at all nor does it seem to be first person. So, it, I guess is second person narrative. My first read of second person narrative then. :D

Now to the story's plot itself. I really liked how you started by asking a question to the readers how they laugh. Also, you managed to continuously remind the question to the readers throughout your story and you repeated it at the end. It created a good effect on the story.

So, first we see something like a gurdian call. I assume it's a gurdian call from all the details you gave there. I liked how you portrayed the father and the mothee of the student. I don't know that somehow made me smile despite the fact that it's nothing to smile about. However, that only seems to be a past phenomenon and has no importance in the present. Evolution, I wonder if that's a good change or bad change. Like on one hand, if all of these stops, that's a good sign but the present things you showed us seems to be worse.

Okay. Now to the present. I am a bit confused about how you represented the present. Like I got a haunted feeling from the social media things. People dying down, people getting arrested, murders.... A lot of scary things happening in this story. I had the scary feeling while reading it. If I am not wrong, the narrator tries to tell that the present is horrible and people are becoming kind of psychotic ones. Or otherwise, why would people suddenly kill school teachers and students?

The social media in the story is represented as a giant that can engulf all people and eat their brains. I had some frightening as well as a mysterious feeling in the story. Overall, this was a good story that made me think about reality.

Keep Writing!!

~Forever

Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:39 am

The suspense was amazing. The diction flawless. Kudos.

flossybunny wrote a review...

Wow, that's some really effective writing. You built up the suspense perfectly here; to begin with I didn't really know what to expect. I liked the fact it was relevant to what's going on in society right now; the reality is this situation could happen to anyone. I love that the narrator isn't the boy himself because I think you've done a good job without having the character tell us exactly how he is feeling at the time. This is the type of short story I'd happily reread and recommend to others. There's a well described scenario that is realistic and the read could easily sympathize with the character in question.

By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return.
— Genesis 3:19