Home » Literary works » Art » General

1- Write the definition of your favorite word, according to you

by Selena1016

1- Write the definition of your favorite word, according to you

My favorite word at the moment at the moment has to be expression

To me the work expression means showcasing who you are and sharing it with others. Whether it be through how you dress, act or your art. My personal way of expressing myself is through all the above. The way i dress is rather laid back yet moderately trendy. It is also deeply influenced by how i'm feeling on that particular day. The way i behave is also very laid back and relaxed. Finally, my art form is writing and in my writing although at times i write about serious topics it comes across as very laid back because that is how i carry myself

ThatAndalite says...

Beautifully written.

BlueSunset wrote a review...

Hey, Selena! So, you're pretty new, aren't you? Well, welcome to the family.
Now, let's see the nitpicks.

To me the work expression means showcasing who you are and sharing it with others.

Did you mean 'word' instead of 'work'? Next one.
My favorite word at the moment at the moment has to be expression

Did you accidentally write 'at the moment' twice? If you could fix that then that would be great!

This is a new kind of writing that I've seen on here. I love how you write this whole thing on just your favorite word, nobody that I have heard of has done that. You stretched this out quite impressively.
I agree with EternalRain, though. I think that this should be located somewhere else, instead of published here. It was a great piece and all, but it would just have a better time placed somewhere where it fits in. This is unique and I think it could belong in a better place, like Eternal said, in a club.
As to praise this work, I really like it's unique character and idea. Anybody can truly relate to this. Myself, you, anybody can. That's what is great about these kinds of things. People can agree and feel you.
Hm... Not much else to say. If you could just fix those nitpickys, perfect! That'd definitely improve this. Well, great good start, Selena. I'm sure if you keep on writing you'll improve and get better day by day. :D Continue writing!
I hope you found this review helpful,

Sunset101

EternalRain wrote a review...

Heyo!

Welcome to the website! I hope you enjoy your stay here. :)

First of all - I think this belongs more in a club than a writing post. For one, you don't need to spend hard-earning points on clubs, and, secondly, this doesn't really belong . I think you would have a much better time putting this out in a club, and telling people about it, because then others will have better access to it and be able to post easily. To create a club, just click the 'clubs' tab right there at the top and 'create a club'. You can title it whatever you want. :)

This is a nice exercise, though. I like your explanation of your favorite word - expression - and I think you have an interesting way of writing. However, it does feel a little vague and I think could use more polishing. For one: grammar. You could work on grammar a bit (which of course anyone can) and this comes in with the process of editing and revising. Just remember to capitalize "I" and "I'm", especially since you're writing formally. Punctuation needs a bit of work, too. Periods at the ends of sentences, commas where neccessary.

Going onto the vague-ness: it definitely needs some work. For example:

The way i behave is also very laid back and relaxed

You only have one sentence on behavior, and what you tell us is that you're laid back and relaxed. Well, HOW? Explain, explain, explain. We don't know you, so tell us (of course, you need to show and not tell in writing, but that's a different step).

I think that's about it for my review. Keep writing, keep the challenges up, and maybe create a club so you don't have to waste your points!

~ EternalRain

Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:10 pm
CardinalSouth wrote a review...

Welcome to the website! I hope you find everything you're looking for and more here- I think you'll find it's a great community! Expression is a beautiful topic to journal on, and it's great to see recognition for it's importance in the artistic world. The only thing I would change is the way you wrote the context. For a journal about expression, EXPRESS YOURSELF! Your narration tone is so formal. Take out some of those transitions! Flirt with your reader! This isn't a classroom, this is truly expression! You can do anything! (But if you want to stick to the formal writing, don't forget your ending punctuation marks next time hahaha). This is all up to you and what your artistic vision think will be best! I look forward to reading more from you and seeing how you will express yourself with our little family. If you have any questions or want someone to talk to, you can ask me anything! Again, welcome to the website!

Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it. Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love and belonging and joy—the experiences that make us the most vulnerable. Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.
— Brené Brown