z

Young Writers Society



Matches To Ashes *Chapter One*

by SecreteJournalist


A knock on the door pulls me out of my thoughts. I head to the door, and greet Jasper's mother.

"Do you promise not to change ANYTHING in this room?" I ask, not wanting anything to change.

A soft smile, so similar to Jasper's appears on her delicate face. "I promise." She says quietly.

I silently thank his mother, and the turn around and look at the room the last time. I'm gonna do it again. I'm gonna cry. My only friend has died. My best friend. I miss him so much! Why did he do it? I quietly went down the wooden stairs, and went out the front door. I was crying now, the tears felt hot on my face. I ran as fast as I could away from anyone who could see me sobbing. I was running so fast, everything around me seemed to be a blur. I didn't stop running till I stopped crying. Looking around, I realized I had ran to the park that me and Jasper would always hang out at.

"I should leave," I say quietly to myself, looking around the park. Besides a set of monkey bars, a rusty blue slide, 3 sets of rusty swings, and two benches by the hedges that marked the entrance, there was not a lot of exciting things at the park. My favorite part of the park was the old swings. When we were little, he used to push my up high on the swings, and I would always complain he accidentally pulled my long black hair. Jasper would tug on my arm, to pull me into the sand under the swings, and we would just lie down and watch the clouds.

He always laughed and said the blue sky reminded him of my eyes. I would say the white of the clouds was almost as bright as his blonde hair, and when it was going to rain, I said how the gray looked like his eyes. I miss the memories. A voice pulled me out of my thoughts.

"Alison? Can you see me?"Asked a familiar voice. Too familiar.

"Jasper!" I say excitedly, thinking he was actually alive. "Where are you?"

I heard the voice again, and this time it was right in front of me. "I think you need your eyes checked, I'm right here!" It said with a laugh.

That's when I noticed him. Well, kinda. He was transparent. I couldn't help it, I started to cry. "Why did you do it?" I ask through sobs.

After several moments, I heard his reply. "Alison, I'm sorry. You know how my father abused me? I couldn't take it anymore. I was bullied at school. I didn't want to tell you, I was afraid you would stop me. I'm sorry!"

I could of sworn I saw a frown on his face. "Then let me be with you." I say, pleading. I grab the shiny, silver pocket knife I always carry around in my back pocket.

"Alison. Don't. It's dangerous." Jasper says sternly. I realized it was a command, not a suggestion.

"Why not? You're already dead." With saying that, I put the knife to my throat. "I don't want to leave my best friend. You're the only one there for me."

"Don't. Do. It." He snaps.

I start to slide the knife across my neck, but suddenly it falls to the ground. I didn't drop it though, Jasper knocked it out of my hand. I was starting to get nervous.

"This is the last time I'm warning you." As the threat whispered into my ear. Jasper has changed. I'm scared now.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
67 Reviews


Points: 2314
Reviews: 67

Donate
Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:45 am
AlfonsoFernandez wrote a review...



Hello there,
First of all, I would like to tell you that this is a very good beginning to what I'm sure will be a very good story. The story was well-written and seemed alive. I like the use of the present tense and the description of the places.
However, there are a few mistakes that I would like to point out.
First of all, the use of the present tense is not continuous as you sometimes switch to the past tense. For example, the part where you say "I quietly went down the wooden stairs...". Here you switched to past tense, and it should normally say "I quietly go down..." so that you keep the use of present.
Secondly, when you are describing something in a story, you probably shouldn't write numbers as numbers, but as words. "a rusty slide, 3 sets of rusty swings, and two benches...". Here, you should write "three" instead of "3", especially since after that you wrote "two benches" in letters.
Also, there is a part where you wrote "Well, kinda. He was transparent." Usually you shouldn't use slang in the narrative part of the story. "Kinda" should probably be "kind of", unless it was in a dialogue.
Apart from that, the story is really good, and I'm eager to read the continuation. Even though I would have liked it if you developed Jasper's and Allison's relationship a bit more, I find that you did a really good job at explaining it and making us understand it as short as it was.

Anyway, hope this helped. Congratulations and keep it up.
-Alfonso




User avatar
41 Reviews


Points: 407
Reviews: 41

Donate
Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:46 pm
View Likes
thewriterinside wrote a review...



Hi there! Rosie here for a review!
I really like this piece, and think it has a lot of potential. I think that you could really flesh out the relationship between your two characters. Right now it seems a little bit stiff. I really admire that you used present tense. That's a very difficult thing to do, and I am quite envious of anybody who is able to do it well.
All in all, great start! I look forward to reading more of your work.
Keep writing!
Love,
Rosie.




User avatar
557 Reviews


Points: 33593
Reviews: 557

Donate
Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:12 am
View Likes
Ventomology wrote a review...



Goodness, ghosts sure are scary, aren't they?
I'd like to know a bit about Alison, and why she's so devoted to Jasper. Maybe you'll elaborate on that later?
The story has a solid starting point for how little has been written so far. I've seen stories where it takes several chapters to understand what is wrong.
I'm looking forward to learning more about Jasper and Alison, but keep in mind as you write to not delve too far into their past. Doing that can sometimes slow down the story or make it disjointed. I doubt you'll have much trouble with that though...
Keep it up! I'll definitely be reading more of this!






Thanks for the review (:




Overripe sushi, The master Is full of regret.
— Buson