LMS VI: Shadows & Dragonfire - Prologue + Chapter 1.1

by ScarlettFire

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

Written for LMS VI. WC: 449 ( prologue), 1126 (first chapter, first part). Total WC so far: 1574 

__________________________________

Prologue

Islwyn ca Melnaris, youngest prince of Melnar, had finally arrived at his destination. He'd slain several dragons already but none had had either a prisoner or his brother. In fact, most had just had hordes of gold. He'd taken to sending his mother a message, letting her and the Queen's Guard--which Issy knew were following him--know where to find more gold for the royal vaults.

It didn't matter that he was only fifteen or that most people saw him as a princess, and not the prince he'd prefer to be. It didn't matter that he wasn't searching for riches or glory. Only his brother mattered, and last they'd heard, Lorne had gone to slay a dragon somewhere to the far flung south-east, and hadn't come back.

So there he was, tired and sweaty and cranky, rounding the bend near the heavily forested shore of a lake, sunlight glinting off the surface and reflecting off the foreboding-looking castle up ahead. It looked half-ruined, and occasionally Islwyn could see the shadow of something large flying overhead.

The dragon.

He swallowed and urged his horse a little faster, but the poor thing was nearly done and stumbled. Something skittered in the underbrush nearby, causing the mare to rear up and toss him from the saddle. Issy landed with a grunt and rolled with the momentum. He came to a stop and lay flat on his back, staring up at the swaying forest canopy above him.

"Well," he said, huffing slightly. "That was entirely uncalled for, Sorrell!"

The mare huffed at him and came trotting over, nudging at Issy's hair and face before licking him. He shoved her head away with a grimace and rolled up onto his knees.

"Ew, must you?" he asked when she came right back. He sighed and stood, dusting himself off. Sorrell, cheeky brat that she was, skipped away a step or two when he reached for her reins. "I guess we walk from here, huh?"

Issy cast a look about the tiny, half-forgotten path he'd been following and heaved a sigh. Apparently, he had no choice but to walk. He tightened his grip on Sorrell's reins and turned towards the looming castle. It really was much closer than it'd been when he first spotted it.

Exchanging a look with his mare, Islwyn set off along the tiny, overgrown and winding path towards the ruined castle. It didn't take long to get here, and it was certainly a surprise to find the dragon waiting for him.

"Right," he said, eyeing the dragon carefully as he released Sorrell's reins and reached to draw his sword. "I suppose we'd best to straight to it, then?"

Without another word, he sprang forward and swiftly dodged the dragonfire that was spewed at him.

__________________________________

Chapter One

Lorne was calmly tending the garden with his friends when he saw Sage, the dragon take to the skies from the tower top they'd been resting on. He watched them for a moment before glancing towards the others, catching Delwyn's eye. The two princes shared a look before standing up and dusting off their hands, heading towards the low wall that bordered the lake to watch the dragon circle back around over the forest.

"What do you think they saw?" Lorne asked, watching as Sage drifted over them and then out over the lake again. He looked at Delwyn in concern.

"I don't know," the other prince said, frowning and shoving near-white hair out of his face. "Maybe they spotted a deer?"

"Or an intruder," someone else added, and Lorne turned to find Cassidy--the youngest of them--watching their dragon as it glided over the forest with one hand shading his eyes from the glaring sunlight. "I mean, it's not unreasonable to assume someone would eventually come here to hunt them, right?"

Lorne sighed. "You're far too morbid this early in the morning."

"It's mid-afternoon, Lorne."

He snorted. "That's the point."

Cassidy huffed. "You spoil all my fun."

With that, the younger man turned and stalked back towards the garden. In the distance, Lorne could hear a horse neighing and the sound of Sage roaring. He blinked. That was...not exactly comforting.

"Think he found something?" Lorne asked and turned to Delwyn.

The other man shrugged. "If he did, I'm not getting in the way."

"I wouldn't want to either," he muttered, turning back to the small garden. Cassidy and Emyrs were talking in low voices, glancing from Lorne and Delwyn then in the vague direction of Sage's roaring.

Suddenly, there was shouting and the sounds of metal deflecting off dragon scales--a distinctly rough, hollow-sounding noise--and then more shouting. Lorne exchanged a look with the other three then turned and headed for the main gates. Delwyn, Cassidy and Emyrs followed quickly, all drawing their various weapons--Cassidy a bow, Delwyn and Emyrs their swords and Lorne his daggers.

Navigating the half-ruined castle was not a task for the easily confused. There was a reason Sage had chosen this place, and Lorne could respect that. Regardless, they'd all been there long enough to be familiar with the various paths through the ruins and quickly approached the main gatehouse.

The ruined front gates loomed in front of him, a shell of its former glory but still recognisable enough. But that wasn't what had Lorne's attention. It was their dragon, deep green scales glittering in the sunlight filtering down through leaves and broken stonework as he moved about the small clearing right outside the gates. A glint of metal and Lorne saw a horse skittering out of the way, a flash of silver and--

Wait a moment... Was that Islwyn?

He froze, staring at the scene before him as Sage shifted from dragon to human wicked-fast and caught the intruder's sword, tossing it off into the trees with such force that there was a mighty crack and a tree came crashing down. Lorne didn't even bother with that, though.

His little sister was here. His little sister was staring down a freaking dragon. What the hell was Islwyn doing here? And why was she dressed like that? He took a hesitant step forward, shaking off the hand that tried to hold him back.

"Islwyn?" he called and watched his sister's eyes dart towards him. They narrowed in confusion before going wide. "What are you doing here?"

"Lorne?!" she cried and made to take a step towards him only for Sage, in dragon form again, to step between them and stop her. "You monster! You can't hoard princes!"

That seemed to make Sage hesitate and the dragon melted down in his human form, planting his feet firmly on the ground and staring Islwyn down. Lorne could only imagine the look on the dragon's face, red eyes glinting dangerously.

"And what makes you think I'm hoarding them?" Sage asked, sounding confused.

Islwyn threw her hands up and pointed at Lorne and the others, raising her voice. "What else would you be doing? They're right there and none of them have left! Why wouldn't that be hoarding?"

Sage laughed. "Trust me, little one, I'm not keeping anyone here against their will."

Lorne's little sister muttered something under her breath and huffed, crossing her arms and jutting her chin out defiantly. The glare she sent their dragon would've melted steel, but apparently it just amused Sage even more, because the dragon chuckled lowly.

"What was that?" he mused, crouching down so she could see Lorne and the others more clearly. Lorne pointedly put his daggers away, gesturing for the other princes to follow his lead.

"I said," Islwyn said, raising her voice, "that the rumours certainly implied you were hoarding princes..."

"Young one, I am definitely doing no such thing--"

"Then why are they still here?"

Delwyn sighed and stepped forward, moving to lay a hand on Sage's shoulder. The dragon tensed for a second before relaxing once he realised who it was. "We all came here to slay the dragon, but failed...and, uh..."

"They were too ashamed to return home," Sage finished for him. Delwyn nodded.

"Yeah, that." He shrugged, resting his hand on his sword hilt. "I know, such a stupid reason, right?"

"Very," Islwyn agreed, then turned her gaze on Lorne. "You should have come home. Our parents are very worried about you, Lorne."

Lorne winced and started forward to join the other two in front of his sister. She watched him with narrowed green eyes. Lorne took the opportunity to study her. She looked...different, especially dressed like a boy and with her hair cut short. He frowned and tilted his head.

"Hey sis." Islwyn grimaced and he had a split second of panic. What had he done to upset her now? "Long time no see..."

"Oh, you were only gone for like five years," she said, sarcasm dripped from each word. "You wouldn't know, would you?"

Lorne stared at her blankly. He wouldn't know? Know what?

"I'm not a girl anymore," Islwyn announced proudly, puffing up her chest a little. "I'm a boy and you should call me such now."

Oh. Lorne didn't know what to say to that, so he just opened his arms and raised an eyebrow expectantly. "Well, little brother, you're not gonna come hug the brother you've been looking for?"

Islwyn was quiet for a moment before letting out a sob and rushing forwards into Lorne's arms. He pressed his face into Lorne's chest, hugging him tightly. Gods, his little brother grown up, hadn't he? Lorne hugged him back tightly, face pressed into Islwyn's wild, curly red hair.

"I missed you, Issy," he whispered.

"We missed you more, Lorne," Issy whispered back, tightening his hold on him. "Will you come home now?"

Lorne had to take a moment to clear his throat. "Of course I will."

Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:45 pm

Hey Scarlett! It's been a minute since I read something of yours and I see there's a few chapters of this in the Green Room so I'm using that as an excuse to go back to the very first part. I'm currently terrible at committing to reading things but I hope I can get through a good chunk today! (Also, your posts are really good in terms of length and reading on a screen which is appreciated).

I already love the names of the character's you've chosen here, and am very glad you shortened our MC's name to Issy because for the life of me I will not be able to pronounce Islwyn (Iss-lewin?) and this just feels more manageable. I'm also already invested in Sorrell and is it ok if my favourite character is a horse?

Throwing us into the action first off worked well for me. It's not super overwhelming but it already makes me want to keep reading because dragons.

I was quite surprised with the turn the first chapter took after the setup from the intro. The way Issy talked about his brother I expected a lot of his actions in the novel to be fueled by a missing brother and then he sort of stumbles upon Lorne pretty quickly? 1.1 flows pretty well but it leads me to wonder what the point was of having the prologue if all the conflict is resolved almost instantaneously? And if Lorne was happy to come home with basically no resistance, why hasn't he done so before now? He clearly missed his family, so why wait?

I'm going to leave it here for this part because I think the other reviews have captured my thoughts pretty well but I'm going to head over to part two now!

Hope this was helpful

Icy

Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:47 am

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!! I'm hoping to at least do five six reviews on this and start getting some of these out of the green room, but we'll see how well that goes.

First Impression: Okayy this a solid place to start. The names are kind of impossible to actually go ahead and remember but that's to be expected with fantasy (just umm sorry in advance if I end up misspelling them a few hundred times) and well not much else to say here. Love the dynamics I'm seeing with the characters but not much else really happened.

Okay well first of all I am never going to be able to pronounce that even if my life depended on it, but besides that though, we've got ourselves an intriguing start. Seems pretty standard fantasy on the outside but we've got enough interesting little threads to think about already that you do tend to be curious about this world here.

The dragon.

Oooh dragons emerging very almost immediately is always a wonderful sign. Let's see what exactly this particular one seems to have planned. Dragons are in the title so I assume they end up being important here.

Oooh well this fun already. Assuming these characters are going to continue on, the dynamic here already seems fun from the very first interaction. Got to love this kind of surprise attack in the middle of what I assume is an escape from a chasing dragon.

Hmm well not a bad prologue there. A little on the more vague side, but its a cool little snippet to think about. I have a feeling we'll only will know the actual value of this particular snippet a little ways down the line at least because at the moment it doesn't seem to say much.

Oooh okay...first chapter suggests the dragons are maybe not quite as evil as the prologue sort of made them out to be. Either way fun place to start here right after the prologue, well let's see where it goes. So far, a pretty decent sort of neutralish start with a hint of mystery there about what this dragon is going after.

"It's mid-afternoon, Lorne."

He snorted. "That's the point."

Cassidy huffed. "You spoil all my fun."

Wooo we do have ourselves a fun dynamic after all. Love that. I think its pretty clear right from the very beginning here that these two know each other pretty well and that's always really fun to see being established right away.

Ooooh more mystery, it looks like the dragon has in fact gone after something that said dragon managed to actually spot there. Given the relaxed atmosphere so far, it could be quite a lot of things, but also given this is the start of a novel I am going to safely assume that its nothing good.

Ooooh well Sage doesn't exactly seem to be in trouble there but the evidence there definitely suggests some sort of attack and a pretty bold one at that to be attacking a dragon with absolutely no hesitation from the looks of things. Either these people have come for the dragon specifically, they've planned this really well or they just have no fear. Its hard to which one is more dangerous.

Wait a moment... Was that Islwyn?

The physicist is me is wincing at a sword taking a giant tree down with only a throw because I feel like at that level of strength the sword is much more likely to shatter into tiny pieces rather than take a tree down (unless the sword is magic and really powerful, which would raise an entirely different set of questions). Oddly specific nitpick aside, this is a lovely twist there. Did not see that coming at all but I love it. Also dragons becoming humans is another fun unexpected twist.

Well I have a feeling this sister is pretty one judging from that particular questions and the general logic of that, not to mention she seems to have no fear whatsoever about threatening a straight up dragon.

Well this is mildly hilarious to watch everyone just casually watch this whole thing play out while the little sister proceeds to have arguably the cutest argument I've seen someone have with an actual dragon.

Oh I completely forgot about dragons needing slaying. Well that introduces an interesting element to all of this. Especially about what this dragon's presence means although it is still hilarious to have the sister ask this one to come home.

"I missed you, Issy," he whispered.

Hmm not entirely sure how emotional that moment was meant to be, but I don't really sense anything. Perhaps I just don't really know these characters well enough and the dialogue earlier was a little too funny, but this moment is a little random. But it isn't the ending of this chapter so I assume that probably has something to do with this too.

Overall: Overall, a fun place to start. We've got some fantasy staples with a couple of fun dynamics already and well you can't really ask much more from a story of this nature, we'll see what the rest of this first chapter has in store for us.

Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:14 am
Omni wrote a review...

Scar! <3 It's about time I'm reading and reviewing this xD only after five weeks, but better late than never. First off, can I just say that the title is just so Scar? Like, it's like you were thinking "how can I let people know that this is fantasy?" and then tossed fantasy buzzwords together and said "yess good" <-- mood tho

All right, so a few things that struck me for this first paragraph:

-The first sentence and the rest of the paragraph don't correlate with each other directly. I think it would be better to start off with talking about Islwyn slaying multiple dragons, and perhaps reflecting on that a little bit. Then, introducing the twist -- "but no dragon had dared kidnap a human before, let alone his brother" or something like that. Cue gasps and awe.

-I think this first paragraph is also clunky to read. I'd consider adding some filler and separation to make it easier to read.

-It is weird to see Islwyn, or like, narration about Islwyn with no others, use his nickname. Usually, that's reserved for dialogue or inner thoughts, letting the readers know Islwyn thinks about him as his nickname and not full first name.

Also, Issy has killed four dragons by the age of 15? That's... kinda unrealistic, even in like a fantasy setting, don't you think? Especially considering how easily he was defeated by the dragon later in this very chapter part. Is Issy some kind of mage or godlike being? Dragons are quite unanimously like scary beings in fantasy.

I think you know me well enough to be like "now scar, what'd we say about telling and not showing??" but I think that this serves okay here? To me, it feels like you're saying "yes, he's trans, or the version of trans that is in this story, he knows it, now you know it, let's move on." On the same hand, though, it does feel a bit like "we need to get this out of the way so let's do it as soon as possible and in the easiest way we can". My reasoning for this is that this doesn't feel important to the rest of what you've set up here: his brother is missing and he's hunting dragons to find him.

Well, this came outta nowhere, but like, not in an amazing way?. To be honest, it feels like it cut off your writing halfway through and you didn't see xD

Also, this totally could have been chapter one, as it doesn't really give off prologue vibes to me, especially if we're going to see Issy's POV again shortly after.

I agree with Lorne, this is definitely the kind of small talk I would like to see /s

Suddenly, there was shouting and the sounds of metal deflecting off dragon scales--a distinctly rough, hollow-sounding noise--and then more shouting.

Where is this noise coming from in the princes' POV? We know the dragon soared off, but we don't know how far it was, or in what direction, or where they landed. Can they see where the commotion is coming from at this point? IF they cannot see it, does that mean it was distant? And if it was distant, then how discernable are the noises? Just some questions to keep in mind that I think help give your story more gravity and give reader's more foundation to center themselves when reader. It's far easier to visualize these noises if we give more description and depth to them.

Whoa okay, I had the feeling they were gone for like a few months, not five years. Would they even recognize Issy if the last time they saw him was at /10/? Puberty can make people completely unrecognizable, and if he transitioned he'd be even more unrecognizable. At the very least I think Issy would recognize his brother before they recognized him.

"I missed you, Issy," he whispered.

I am... confused. You set up conflict with the prologue and it is all gone by the end of Chapter 1.1. Issy's brother is kidnapped (or more likely dead since it's been /5 years/), but we jump in right as Issy finds him. If it were that easy, why was he not found years ago? Issy's killed dragons, and is most likely planning on killing the dragon who kidnapped his brother(s). That is also thrown out the window immediately as he, the killer of 5 dragons at the age of 15 years old, was thwarted easily. And the whole kidnapping was thrown out because they weren't kidnapped, they had just ran away from guilt. And the question of them not going back was squashed because Lorne immediately said "sure, let's go back." All aspects of drama and stakes were completely torn away from this piece. I'm sure there's other stakes to be presented later, but as it stands right now, it feels more like a short story that has immediately resolved than a prologue and 1st chapter part setting up a larger story and conflict.

I will say, I did enjoy the banter between the brother princes. I think your dialogue with them was strong, and I'd like to see more and I'm sure I will. I just wish not everything that had been set up in the beginning had been "solved" right away. It washes away the stakes and gives me little to go on to continue reading.

However, I shall continue reading and reviewing! It may be at a slow pace, but I'll get to it, swear XD looking forward to hearing your thoughts c:

Horisun wrote a review...

Hello, I hope you're having a good day or night!
I love stories about dragons, so when I saw a description for this work, I knew I had to check it out! And it did not disappoint. This reminded me a bit of Wings of Fires' Dragonslayer with similar vibes to Dealing with Dragons, which I'm all here for. Yet with all its similarities, it still reads as a refreshing take on the genre, with a lot to offer, depending on where you take the story.
I think my favorite part though is your characters. They're all so endearing. There is so much to unpack in regard to princes setting off to kill a dragon, only to fail and never return due to the shame. It in equal parts makes me adore the characters but fear the society they came from to make them this way.
I will note that the reunion did feel a tad underwhelming to me. Issy hasn't seen his brother in five years, has slain multiple sentient dragons in an attempt to find him, and when he finally does, discovers Lorne has just been hanging about with one for the last several years.
I guess I would have hoped for a little more build up, and a little more payoff. I'd like to see all Iswyn had to do to find his brother, and understand exactly what made Lorne feel he needed to stay with the dragon, rather than returning home.
I have a brother. And if he disappeared for five years, allegedly kidnapped by a dragon, and I go on a rescue mission to save him only to discover he could have come home at any time, I would have been angry. Especially after all of the dragons I killed (which I assume Issy didn't know were intelligent beings) and after all the effort I put to save them.
You may very well address this in later chapters though, so feel free to disregard if that is the case.
One last thing, and this is a minor nitpick, I'd refrain from using "!?" in the future, as it does not appear in published works.
To be quite frank, I really, really enjoyed this! It's been ages since I've read a good story about dragons, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this narrative will progress as the weeks go by! I wish you luck in Last Man Standing, partially so I can continue reading this awesome story, lol! Keep on writing, and have a great day! :D

The ink in which our lives are inscribed is indelible.
— Helena 'HG' Wells, Warehouse 13