Gray

by SaveDodosNopeTooLate

When I see parts of me covering a building, a head, or even the sky, I feel as drab and dull inside as I look on the outside. I am characterless, monotonous, and depressing. I am neither here nor there, I signify death and decay. I am gray. I am the color of old hair, I am the feeling of sadness and boredom. And yet, there is a place that I visit in my wildest dreams, a place in which I am a revered deity…

The city is aglow with the light of the setting sun, turning everything pink and red. But as it starts to get dark, and the lights are switched on, you see the gray sidewalks, the gray clothes, the gray store signs, and the thousands of people thronging the streets. They are surrounded by me, in so many places, and yet they do not mind. There is something different over here, something amazing at work. Some magic which has transformed me from a good for nothing, rotten shade to a popular color the people embrace. It is surprising, and perplexing, even for me, who has spent so long in the world where I am unwanted. Yet it is true, here, I am as loved and respected as blue, or white, or red. Here, I am in my element.

I believe something happened long ago in this land of my imagination, which has created this view towards me. In the history of my mind, something changed. Perhaps the Ten Commandments declared I was a ‘giver of good fortune’ or the holy Hindu scriptures told tales of my greatness. Maybe the Quran cited me as an entity that would destroy all forms of corruption of the mind. Or maybe a little girl loved a teddy bear I adorned and so did millions of other little people, learning to adore me. I do not know what goes on in the complicated minds of humans. In one world I am shunned and hidden, in another I am the color that signifies rain and wisdom. I really am not that different, either on the inside or the outside. But the same old me can be seen in a million different ways, shining along a shard of crystal, or casting a gloomy shadow over everything, and sometimes, I wish my imagination was powerful enough to change reality.

With love, Gray.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:21 pm
DarshayataDeka wrote a review...

Can't believe it's your first work here at YWS. I mean, it was so beautiful and...honest. I did not find a single grammatical error here. Not even one. The title of your work "Gray" was apt because it is what the entire thing is based on. And the words, ah, the beautiful words. I'm literally speechless. Your work is of a totally different level. It was written in a simple and solid manner without using a bunch of complicated terms and yet it was quaint and somewhat poetic. At one point, I felt as if Gray was actually a living human instead of the human personification of a color. The last words of the last line "...I wish my imagination was powerful enough to change reality" finished the literary work on what I call a "perfect ending". Overall, it was quite an amazing work. Perfect, relevant and marvelous. I hope we get to read more such works of yours here. Keep it up!

Wow this review made my entire week! (What's left of it anyway lol)
Thank you so much, I'm glad you liked it. :)

You are welcome, Perfectionist!

Making me blush, DD! (Can I call you DD btw?)

Ok

Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:54 am
Virgil wrote a review...

Nikayla here dropping in for a review as requested.

I'm a little confused as to what this is! That's the first issue that I have here. I have no problem with this being labeled as 'Other' although I am a little confused as to what this is supposed to be. A letter? A thought without a plot? I admit I love using that phrase--it's true here. There isn't a plot here and this doesn't seem to be a philosophical essay since this doesn't take that shape so that's what I'm going to be classifying this as. that being said, I wanted to suggest breaking up the paragraphs a little bit.

Particularly the third is what I'm talking about here because this is considerably longer than the other two combined and doesn't keep the quite same thought throughout. That's a general rule of thumb--start a new paragraph when a new thought appears. That being said, I'm not exactly sure what this is attempting to get across. The tone of the color gray? I have to say that this piece is quite gloomy and feels a little dull in that regard.

Almost reminds me of a prose poem though I'm unsure if that's what you're going for here. There are a lot of unnecessary words. Unnecessary in the sense that all this fancy wording only clogs up the flow. For example, 'a place in which I am a revered deity...' feels almost melodramatic though that might be partially because I'm not a fan of ellipses--doesn't work here anyway. Take them out because they don't add anything to the piece. Cut down on unnecessary parts and sentences to make this more direct. More effective.

The concept of this is nice and the idea of this being written by the color 'gray' (at least that's how I interpreted this). A bit of fine polish and experimentation with this will help improve since I believe that this holds potential--that potential just hasn't been fully unlocked yet!

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I hope I helped and have a nice day.

Thank you very much for your review, Nikayla. Yes, I agree that the main problem with this is that I don't have any idea what it is either. Thought without a plot just about sums it up, I guess.
I do want to convey the tone of gray, so it's supposed to be gloomy, but if that makes it dull then I need to fix it somehow.
It's definitely all over that place in terms of what kind of work it is, but I wasn't sure how exactly to fix it so decided to leave it as it is.
I'll try working on some of the things you pointed out.

Thanks and cheers,
Sadie

Sourire wrote a review...

Bonjour, SaveDodosNopeTooLate.

Grammar comments and corrections are in the spoiler below.

When I see parts of me covering a building, a head, or even the sky, I feel as drab and dull inside as I look on the outside. "drab" contains "dull" in it's definition so it's unnecessary to have it written twice as an adjective.

I am neither here nor there; I signify death and decay. I am gray. I am the color of old hair, and I am the feeling of sadness and boredom. AndYet, there is a place that I visit in my wildest dreamsa place in which I am a revered deity…

They are surrounded by me, in so many places, and yet they do not mind. There is something different over heresomething amazing at work. The comma after "me" is unnecessary.

I believe something happened long ago in this land of my imagination, which has created this view towards me. In the history of my mind, something changed. These two sentences don't need commas.

Perhaps the Ten Commandments declared I was a "giver of good fortune," or the holy Hindu scriptures told tales of my greatness.

OrMaybe a little girl loved a teddy bear I adorned, and so did millions of other little people, learning to adore me. Unnecessary comma after "people"I do not know what goes on in the complicated minds of humans.Although you could be trying to personify gray, this sentence isn't a necessary component to this piece. It even goes off topic a little bit which can be detrimental to a piece. In one world I am shunned and hidden, in another I am the color that signifies rain and wisdom. I really am not that different, either on the inside or the outside. No comma needed after "different" But the same old me can be seen in a million different ways, shining along a shard of crystal, or casting a gloomy shadow over everything., and sometimes, I wish my imagination was powerful enough to change reality. No comma needed after "ways" or after "crystal".

Overall I liked the idea of the piece. I think it's actually rather interesting. Not many people think of colors this way, but there are certain colors that are avoided. Normally we gloss over the effect they have on us, but I believe they definitely dictate our moods in many ways. What you did here was personify the color gray, and put a personality to it that fits very well.

The only other comment I have is that I wish the was more to this, and that the paragraphs were spaced a bit more. Otherwise this was a good work. Hope my review helped you in some way.

~Sourire

Hi Sourire. Thank you very much for taking the time to review this. Regards the Grammar corrections, there are certainly a few things that I had missed, so I appreciate you pointing them out. :) However some of the commas that you think are unnecessary help, for me at least, to create the overall mood of the passage, but I'll certainly take this into consideration.
I'm glad that you thought I could capture Gray's personality well, because otherwise what's the point? ;)
Lastly, I agree, it's so short that I can't even give it a proper category, but this was written some time ago, and I thought expanding it now might ruin it a bit, so I decided to keep it as it is.

Thankyou once again for your review. :)

Machupicchu14 wrote a review...

I don't think this is a proper review but whatever. I just need to say some words. First of all, I'm always amazed by everything you write and this was no different. The minute I finished reading and in this case I can also say meditating this description I was like, what will I say? How can I describe the impact this has had on me? How can I explain the beauty of this? Like my American English teacher would say "you have nailed it". Every word, every phrase perfectly fits into the story and every image is perfectly organised and described, giving thought to our imagination. (Nevertheless to say spelling and grammar are outstanding) Personifying Gray, that colour which symbolises sadness, depression and even death. The colour which fills the sky when it's raining. The colour which surrounds every hour of our lives. I love the part when you talk about different sacred text but anyway, I just can't choose a favourite extract or say this part is better than the other.
You have the TALENT! Keep writing!!!! :D

THANKYOUUU I feel flattered! :)

jessegrey wrote a review...

This was beautiful. I absolutely loved this. Gray is one of my favorite colors, especially with the metaphoric duality of light and dark that it consists of. I love how you included that gray signifies rain and wisdom, because I often think of rain as cleansing of sinful events and therefore making gray a considerably wise shade. The religious connotations were beautiful as well. I loved hearing the "voice" of gray. Well done!

Wow, thank you. I don't really like Gray in any place except in the sky, because rainy, overcast days are my absolute favorite. But I do believe that we could look at some things differently and see them in a new light, and colors are some of those things. Thanks for your review, it made my day that you heard the 'voice' of gray, because that was really the intended effect. :)

jessegrey says...

Overcast days are my favorite as well :]

High Five! ;)

"Everything you can imagine is real."
— Pablo Picasso