16+ Language Mature Content

M.R. 1

by Satira

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and mature content.

(This is kind of the same storyline as 'Mind Reader', but this one is about...9 years later, when Rachel is 16. )

Trigger warning: This whole thing talks about suicide as if it's a totally common, normal thing, which may be disarming/disturbing/disrespectful to some of those reading this( I totally understand that...this work slightly alarms me, myself, and I do not in any way think that suicide is a light or easy subject to bring up). I'm sorry about that, but if you have a serious problem with the bluntness of the way I'm writing the story, I just...wouldn't read/review it.

As usual, I don't really appreciate nitpicks in reviews I get; if it doesn't improve my overall writing, then it doesn't need to be brought up in a review. also, the installments I publish are NOT chapters. They are parts, i.e. chunks of writing i publish whenever I need encouragement/inspiration. So any criticisms pertaining to the length/abruptness of the published work shall be ignored.

Thank you! Sorry for the long author's note!

I’m awake.

I always think that in the morning. I don’t know why, but I do.

I wonder if my subconscious mind thinks, “I’m asleep,” whenever I’m asleep. It probably doesn’t, which is one of many reasons why the subconscious makes more sense than the alternative. It doesn’t question itself. It works with what’s around it, no matter what. All the memories.

So, I’m awake. I don’t know what kind of morning it is, because there aren’t any windows in my room, but since I don’t go outside that often, I don’t need to know. Everything I do is in the complex...where I live.

I remember that when I was normal, I always needed to know what the weather was. It determined if I would be playing outside for recess at school, and if my mother would be taking a jog on the trails that day. It determined what clothes I wore.

But that was a while ago.

It’s 7 am, which I can tell because that’s when the lights go on. They’re these big, round, bright-white bubble lights on the ceiling that are controlled by a timer somewhere that I’ve never touched. If I could ever get my hands on that thing, I’d set the lights on at 8. At least.

I have a pass for coffee today because it’s Monday, but if I want to get some before the machine runs out, I’ll have to be at the dining hall in an hour and a half or so. They never have enough for everyone.

I cover my closed eyes with one arm. It’s too bright, too fast.

Here’s to another day.

Eventually I sit up in bed, touching my feet to the fuzzy blue rug on the floor and scrunching up my toes. It took me ages to convince the NMRs to let me keep this rug, but eventually I won: You can’t hang yourself with a bathmat, can you?

There are lots of precautions like that.

For, example, my whole room is molded white plastic. All the cubicles are. The walls dip and curve for a chair and desk, for the bedframe. It curves into an edgeless ceiling with completely ridiculous spherical light bulbs. The whole thing melts into itself. No sharp corners. No color either, except for the few things that I’m allowed to keep, like my rug. And it’s only slightly blue, tinted, you might say if you were selling it. Color isn’t really big with the authorities here. Apparently, it messes with our moods.

Yeah, that’s why my clothes are all the same, too. Loose, dark grey v-neck hospital shirts and matching pants, that’s all we get here up on the floor Four. It’s different on other units of the complex, but all monotone shades of grey.

I get to choose my shoelaces though, because according to the authorities, the amount of color in shoelaces is too small to make a difference in personality. But they limit certain colors like red and orange because those are ‘violent’ colors, so mine are yellow: the next best thing.

I slip on some scrubs-that’s what I call them, because that’s what they look like- and go over to the mirror above my desk, a piece of reflective glass imbedded in the plastic wall. I think there was one girl on floor Two who tried to hang herself with her own hair a few years back- morbid, I know -, but since that attempt failed, we, fortunately, don’t all have to go bald. Thanks for living, girl. Because of you, I have hair.

I mean, she- that girl- is probably in the nut ward in the Sub-level now. Among us MRs, people like her are called ‘past their due-date’. She was too desperate.

My hair looks pretty good today. Well, for my hair. It’s very thick and prone to knotting, but I keep it under tabs by braiding it at lights-out. I let it down in the morning even though the authorities don't like it. We all find our ways, and mine is my hair.

I have some pieces of it strung with those little plastic beads you make necklaces out of when you’re four. I wasn’t allowed to have any with color because color surrounding my face is distracting; but I have a nice, black/white sunset thing going on that’s pretty good. A white bead, a light grey one, a dark grey, and black. Four beads for each of my seven strands.

It makes it even harder to brush it with the beads, but I deal with it because teenage angst is way cool around here.

And beads are something I’m allowed to have. It brands me as sane. Someone who, in all likelihood, won’t try anything… unreasonable.

Like, I could swallow those beads. And then I’d be in trouble.

I take the brush, a clear plastic thing with white ballpoint spines, and run it a couple times through my hair, but it doesn’t really need it.

Maybe it’s a dry day outside. I think my mother said something, once, about dampness affecting her hair, but I honestly forget. I doubt that that the humidity out of the complex would affect the inside, anyway. It was just a thought.

The rest of me looks like...me. I never change. Brown eyes, brown hair. A face.

Five Five. Average BMI. I’m normal.

Except that I’m not. Looks aren’t everything, didn’t you know.

Not at all.

I remember to take my room key off it’s hook, but only barely. The whole ‘room key’ idea is a joke, because everything in the room is me-proof and there’s a video camera in every corner. But the guys who run the place have a really jolly sense of irony. The reason I know it’s irony is because whenever I forget the key inside my room, I ask the people at the floor Four back desk for help ,and they just take this little gadget from who-knows-where(perhaps where that friggin timer is), and they just pick the hell outta my lock like it’s nobody’s business.

I open the door, (which is metal, but covered in pillow-y padding: because metal is dangerous and hard) and step outside, into the clear, filtered air of Four.

Rin321 wrote a review...

Hello Satira! CHRISSY321 here with yet another review!

*Happy Review day!* :D :D :D

I love your idea for this I think this goes a lot farther than you think it does it speaks volumes! I love how honest the person in this story is with your mind do not loud and how she is not seem to care and she's different but seems to embrace her gift-I know I would!:D

This is very original and as far as I see I do not think I saw any thing that needed to be fixed! I love it when writers write like this because they seem like professionals one-day right and when they write as good as you did and thanks me happy to think that one day they will be big and really publish these things!

I hope you take this further! I would be really sad if you did not! I think that this can make a really good series and become something big! The way this is written and the plot along with all the details and italics new include it would be hard for A person to not like it! I gave it a thumbs up!

I greatly encourage you to keep writing!!! :D :D :D ;)

Satira says...

Aw, thank you!

Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:45 am
Vervain wrote a review...

Hello, darling!

To begin, this piece is in desperate need of a hook. Whether your story is written in chapters, parts, vignettes, whatever, you need a hook. Your beginning is weak, and while it's a little grabby, it's also vague and leads into nothing more than a philosophy spiel that no one wants to read when they open a book. I understand that beginnings are difficult, but almost anything other than this would be an improvement.

Your writing is very dry, bland, and boring. It's taken what could be an interesting beginning of a story into the land of "why am I reading this?" -- and that is not a land that you want your readers to be in. You just have a lot of the character wondering a lot, thinking a lot, and not doing anything. It's absolutely boring.

People read books to read about people doing things, to read about people fighting for a spot in line so they can get coffee instead of just laying around, losing time about it. If you open up your story with philosophy, with your character sitting around and doing nothing, then your readers are going to put your book down because nothing's happening.

Moving on, you have a whole block of description and worldbuilding about color. I'm bored. Show us why color is a bad thing, don't just tell us that your Modern Edgy Heroine (MEH) managed to get the "next best thing" when it comes to color. Show us everyone dressed in their drab clothes, show us things happening to people—as it is, we're just sitting around watching your MEH think and get dressed while she's thinking and stuff like that.

As far as worldbuilding goes, it's weak. Even if that girl failed to hang herself with her own hair, why wouldn't they shave the others' heads as a precaution? Someone else could try it, after all. Speaking as someone who has lived in a similar situation, where literally everything that could potentially harm or kill someone was confiscated in favor of harmless alternatives, down to books being banned because they had corners. Long hair had to be pulled back at all times, in a ponytail or bun, unless we were in free time. No strings in clothing, no underwire in bras, no strappy clothes, no shoelaces, nothing. As a result, I find this world implausible, because while you've attempted to create a totalitarian living space, it's failed in a couple of very basic ways.

And then we go into your MEH talking about how she's Not Normal and how No One Understands Her (yes, it's very much implied), and it's honestly boring. I don't see the point in why I've read this, because nothing has happened—scratch that, the only thing that's happened is that I've had a meager introduction to a subpar-ly built world.

Satira says...

You are very blunt. Thank you for your opinion, though. I'm going to go drink some... Tea, and pretend it's alchohol!
:)

Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:12 pm
Auxiira wrote a review...

Hey Satira! Auxii here to review your work today! If you could just bear with me, I'm a little rusty.

So first things first: You seem to make a lot assumptions when writing this. For instance, if I hadn't gone and read Mind Reader, then I would have absolutely no idea what NMR meant. Or MR for that matter. Unless the two are going to be put together later, I would type it out fully, at least the first time you mention it. And again with the MC's clothes. We can't see them, so when they say

Yeah, that’s why my clothes are all the same, too.
as if they were answering the question "Is that why all your clothes are the same colour?" it's pretty destabilizing for the reader. It also makes the MC sound pretty presumptuous.

One thing that I've noticed as I'm going through is that you're using commas way too much for it to seem natural. for instance here:
For, example, my whole room is molded white plastic.
You don't need the comma after 'For'. Or here:
Apparently, it messes with our moods.
you don't need one at all. A suggestion I feel I could make for resolving this is for you to read what you're writing out loud, and accentuate the commas, making a bigger pause than normal and see if that sounds right, cause that's what a comma is : a pause, like a pause for breath.

Just a teeny-tiny nitpick : for someone who is completely unfamiliar with the imperial system, "Five Five" would mean absolutely nothing. It would be utterly random. (Also the second F sound be lower case)

One last huge thing : please, for the love of books, don't put brackets in prose. I had a teacher who once said that if you're putting stuff in brackets, then you're just being too lazy to make another sentence, and I have to agree. And here I am going to nitpick the two times you used brackets:
1)
The reason I know it’s irony is because whenever I forget the key inside my room, I ask the people at the floor Four back desk for help ,and they just take this little gadget from who-knows-where(perhaps where that friggin timer is), and they just pick the hell outta my lock like it’s nobody’s business.
you could replace the brackets by dashes ( - ) or maybe commas, but that sentence is already pretty run on.
2)
just take out the brackets, the sentence is constructed well enough without them. (Also, you don't need the colon or the comma after 'outside')

One thing now that I'm at the end : I still can't tell whether the MC is a boy or a girl. I assumed girl because of them braiding their hair, but then I reminded myself that boys can braid their hair too, and got stuck again.

Also, you write well and coherently, but you're quite tell-y. You tell us what's going on, rather than showing us. For instance here :
Loose, dark grey v-neck hospital shirts and matching pants, that’s all we get here up on the floor Four.
Seeing as you're in first person, you could say "I eyed the loose, dark grey, v-necked hospital shirts and matching pants that everyone on floor Four has to wear." It adds more movement to the writing.

I know you've said that these aren't chapters and that it'll all be one long bit of text later, but if you want people to be interested, then you have to give them something to go on. This just felt like one run-on prologue. Albeit a good prologue, that almost makes you want to read on (I wait about 10 pages before putting a book down, so you're still good - also, you fall right into my genre) but still a prologue.

I still like it though.

I hope my review helped in any case!
Auxii~

Satira says...

thank you for reviewing! I hope you're still willing to read the next installment, even if you don't want to review it. It gets a lot clearer there, too.
hm. I am pretty tell-y, I get that a lot for this work. I'll work on it.
thanks for the other criticisms too!

Auxiira says...

I'd love to read (and review) the next installment! It does seem a really interesting story.
I'm gland I helped :3

Holysocks says...

So I'm going to be weird for a moment, and say something that I noticed real quick~

Adding on to what Auxiira mentioned about the overuse of commas- I think I know what you're trying to do with your commas, and if I'm right, a better way to express that would be to use italics! :-D

*weirdness over*

Satira says...

Thanks for that, Holy!
actually, I often add and take out commas like, 5 times before I keep them there. I know what I'm doing with them, as much as you might disagree.
Also, did you like the thing?

A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity.
— Franz Kafka