z

Young Writers Society


12+

The FTL Chronicles - Chapter 1

by Sathalha


Hiya guys, this is a new short story series about the game FTL – Faster Than Light by Subset Games. This is a pure fan-fic and I don't own any of the franchise or have anything to do with the game except for playing it. It's also a bit shorter since it's a kind of introduction.

Hope you like it!

- Sathalha

"Status report, soldier."

"Coming in, sir. We've surrounded the Federation base and it's all but space rubble now. The rebel fleet should be able to move forwards to their last stronghold without much of a problem."

"So the operation has gone as planned, then?"

"Well..."

"What is it? Spit it out."

"A ship escaped the blockade, a Kestrel-class cruiser."

"Don't tell me..."

"I'm afraid so sir, it has the data.”

Damn, we have to hunt down that ship, no matter what the cost.”

Understood, sir.”

May you be faster than light, soldier.”

You too, sir, you too.”

*****

I disconnect the magnetic pads as the FTL engines start charging. I don't have much time, but I have to be careful or I'll blow the whole space dock up.

“How much time until the data download is done?” I ask my second-in-command over the intercom, Commander Sargon Jericho. Like most of the people on this station and like me, he's a baseline human . He might not be able to repair like an Engi can, but he makes one hell of a Chief Engineer. I'd trust him with my engine and my life any and every day.

“2 minutes tops.” His thick, husky accent gives away his Tarkani heritage, but he won't be able to see his homeland again if we fail our mission.

None of us will.

Some of the creatures on this station won't be able to see their home planets again no matter what we do. I remember hearing from a small Mantis crew that their colonized home planet had been destroyed directly after the end of the last galactic war. It had been annihilated because it had been 'in the way' of the Rebel fleet.

A voice chirps over the speaker “Can't you give a lady a helping hand?”.

I jog over to the loading bay and behold a young female officer trying to haul a missile almost as big as her on to the platform.

“Woah there, you're going to hurt yourself if you're not careful, Rebekkah.” Rebekkah Flynt: Smart, witty and one of the youngest weapon officers to ever graduate from the academy. Also a bombshell beauty with sparkling blue eyes and golden hair, though she's more interested in guns than boys.

“Well, I'd usually use a repulsorlift to bring these guys up, but we're kinda stuck on auxiliary power right now.”

She's right. I look around at the faint, pulsating green lights that illuminate our lonely hangar dock, with the unnatural silence only being broken by the gentle yet restless hum of the FTL engines and the occasional sound of firing from faraway, on the other side of station. Most of the soldiers on this military station are right now defending against the invading rebel fleet, but they won't hold out for long. I'd sure as hell like to be out there fighting with them, but I have a different mission to accomplish.

We load the last of our few missiles into the ammunition holster and step back as it slides into place. Sargon's voice comes over the intercom again “We're good to go, Captain.”

Captain, that's me. Captain of this little Kestrel-class cruiser on probably the most important mission in the history of the Federation. There's probably a million men more suited to this task than me, but I was the only one on hand, so here I am. Understaffed and under supplied, I have to race against the advancing rebel fleet and get to our final stronghold in time to deliver the precious information stored on this ship's hard drive.

I have to reach Terra.

My name is Hunter Reinhardt, and I will go down into Galactic history.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
81 Reviews


Points: 2620
Reviews: 81

Donate
Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:35 pm
skylnn00writes wrote a review...



Hey! Sky here for a review. Purely suggestions, feel free to ignore me.

Like most of the people on this station and like me, he's a baseline human.

Just a quick suggestion here, I would reword this to be "Like most of the people on this station, myself included, he's a baseline human." Something like that, maybe.

A voice chirps over the speaker “Can't you give a lady a helping hand?”.

Comma after speaker, and the period at the end is unneeded. You already have your punctuation with the question mark.

“Well, I'd usually use a repulsorlift to bring these guys up, but we're kinda stuck on auxiliary power right now.”

Repulsorlift? I'm not sure if that's another word for the story in their language or something, but I might be wrong. Just double check that that's what you meant.

Sargon's voice comes over the intercom again “We're good to go, Captain.”

Again, comma after again.

My name is Hunter Reinhardt, and I will go down into Galactic history.

This just seems kind of random to me. Maybe put it somewhere else? Or say the characters name sooner. I do like the "I will go down into Galactic history" part though. Again, just a suggestion.

Nice story! Pretty intriguing plot, I like where it's going. Just a few overall suggestions. First, your spacing gets a bit weird in some places. Maybe just be careful of that. Also, make sure to spell out your numbers, so two instead of 2. Couple of long sentences, just watch structure. I didn't really see any problems even though I may have missed them, but a couple came pretty close. I'm curious for where this is going next. You developed the story very well and left some suspense. Good job! I hope this review is helpful :smt001

~Sky




User avatar
55 Reviews


Points: 3562
Reviews: 55

Donate
Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:33 pm
View Likes
Silberfee wrote a review...



Wow. I like the style, at first I was expecting to be alienated because of the foreign words at the beginning 'Sathalha'/FTL/Sargon...' but the style of writing is laid back which brings a bit of comfort. I only mention this because I have never played the games but I'm a fan of sci-fi books. The content is well organised and it is dramatic, when I first read the beginning I really wanted to know more about the main character so I can understand what is going on, but it is not clear until towards the end.

Also I like the fact the main character early on is introduced to have flaws ('probably a million men more suited to this task') . I find perfect characters unrelatable.

Sorry this review is short but I am eager to see how your story pans out. I can't tell from reading this short extract and I can say it is engaging so far.

Good Luck




Sathalha says...


Thanks for the awesome review! Yeah the language might be slightly weird at first, but you get used to it over time. I've never before written in this genre, so it's a bit of a challenge. I'd love to have your support in reviews whenever I publish.
Thanks!
Sathalha



Silberfee says...


Of course:) I will also appreciate your feedback on my writings.




You are in the wrong land even if the roosters recognize you.
— Nathalie Handal, "Noir, une lumière"