z

Young Writers Society



Disperse | Prologue

by Satan


In a forest, in a country, in a continent, on a planet, in a galaxy, in a solar system, there was a short, chubby, brunette haired woman with a crooked nose standing in a cave.

Behind her, water fell down just outside the mouth of the cave.

The woman’s name was Kylene Potay, and she was an Archeologist.

Now, most Archeologists would rather go to a more interesting, less tourist filled area to look for fossils.

But Miss Potay thought different.

And so she chose the forest called ‘The Atherton Tablelands’ in Queensland, Australia to conduct her research.

What was she researching?

What was she looking for?

Fossils.

Duh.

“Hey, ho, diddly I

Diddly I de do

O’er the hillside

And the mountains we go…”

Miss Potay sang quietly as she knelt down and inspected the brown substance that most humans simply call:

Dirt.

Dirt Noun/d??rt/

1. A substance, such as mud or dust, that soils someone or something.

2. Loose soil or earth; the ground

Archeologists live on dirt.

They thrive on it.

They crave it.

If they could, they would eat it.

And the most creepiest of them all, some have admitted that if it were possible, they would have sex with the dirt and make little dirt babies, raise the dirt babies, then set them free into the wild.

But only a very few have actually admitted to that.

Miss Potay being one of them.

So as Miss Potay dug up the dirt she so longed to do dirty things to, (pun intended), she saw something slowly start to reveal itself under the hard packed earth.

A small, oval shaped, stone.

Nay, not a stone, she realized, as she inspected it closer,

A fossil.

“Come on, kids!”

Now, the man who said this was just outside the cave Miss Potay was currently crouching in, inspecting the strange fossil she had found.

The man’s name was Fredward Garble. He was on vacation with his family of six kids, and two wives.

Regarding the two wives part,

Don’t ask.

Miss Potay spun around to face Mr. Garble, and in the process of doing so, dropped the fossil onto the ground.

A sickening, cracking, breaking sort of sound exploded from the fossil, and out of a rather large crack, there poured a strange green liquid onto the sandaled feet of Miss Potay.

“Sorry, didn’t mean to startle you, miss.” Mr. Garble said, but Miss Potay was more interested in the strange green liquid that was now eating away at her foot as if a million tiny parasites were chomping away gradually at her skin.

“Um…Miss? Are you okay?”

Miss Potay’s head snapped up, her eyes had become bloodshot, and out of the corner of her mouth, the tiniest bit of drool came rolling down her chin.

And then Miss Potay ate Mr. Garble.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
11 Reviews


Points: 477
Reviews: 11

Donate
Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:17 pm
thestoryofagirl wrote a review...



Great start! I loved the way you got into it straight away and I found your writing style really interesting and it entertained me!
I can't wait to read the rest, keep it up! :)




User avatar


Points: 806
Reviews: 4

Donate
Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:18 pm
SidereaAquila wrote a review...



This was really funny! I loved the outside commentary, and your matter-of-fact way of saying completely ridiculous things. As I looked back over this, I couldn't stop myself from laughing.

There was one grammar thing that I noticed, in your sentence, "And the most creepiest of all, some have admitted that..." "Most creepiest" is redundant, as the "est" ending already makes it the most creepy. I might change it to "And, creepiest of all, some have admitted..." But if it was supposed to be that way, leave it alone.

I've always found it hard to write commentary on my own story, but this was done very well. It's laugh-out-loud funny, but it still flows nicely. Keep it up!




Satan says...


Thanks, I'll be sure to fix that!



User avatar
553 Reviews


Points: 58538
Reviews: 553

Donate
Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:25 pm
MiaParamore wrote a review...



Hey Satan!

So this was funny. lol.

You had a good easy flow in your writing which I liked the most. As this is very much clear, it's a humorous piece and I'm so glad I got to read this.

I like this prologue and to be honest I'd say that for a prologue you got this right. It had fun, thrill and it was short. So you got to the point without deviating away from it. So, good job.

It's like I don't have anything to suggest you so you could improve. But what I gathered from this was that it was mostly simple so it wasn't really intense. I don't want you to change its style because it's good like that. So, I guess I don't really have much to say.

I enjoyed reading it, and I hope you post more of it. I think I'll be able to give a better review for the next chapter. lol.

Keep Writing,
Mia




Satan says...


Thank ya kindly



User avatar
8 Reviews


Points: 1072
Reviews: 8

Donate
Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:56 pm
Ikerot wrote a review...



"And the most creepiest of them all, some have admitted that if it were possible, they would have sex with the dirt and make little dirt babies, raise the dirt babies, then set them free into the wild." - holy crap! xD I love that! Them Archeologists...

"So as Miss Potay dug up the dirt she so longed to do dirty things to, (pun intended), she saw something slowly start to reveal itself under the hard packed earth." - if there are parenthesis around (pun intended), why do you need two commas surrounding it? I don't think you need it.

---

Your writing style is not something that I enjoy reading. Sometimes you would put a comma and then enter to a new sentence. To me, you're writing almost a poetry-like style. I shouldn't be all edgy because of the writing though. Overall I found this prologue to be very unique and funny. And at the end, it makes me wonder what was that green thing and why did it turn Miss Potay to a zombie (lol).




Satan says...


Thanks for reading!



User avatar
31 Reviews


Points: 2730
Reviews: 31

Donate
Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:36 am
catchingwave says...



Lol. I don't actually use that word when I'm on this website but..this time is going to be an exception, so I'm going to say it again, lol.
Now for the actual commenting part..um, I suppose you could say this was interestingly strange and not quite what I'd been expecting at all. But anyway, nice job..I guess..:/

'What was she researching?
What was she looking for?

Fossils.
Duh.;'

One of my favourite lines. :P




Satan says...


Thank you!




Poetry is a phantom script telling how rainbows are made and why they go away.
— Carl Sandburg