z

Young Writers Society



Roots in the Wind

by Sarah12


Roots in the Wind

I keep my roots in the wind

Let it tickle my soul

To let it whisper my secrets

Back in my ears

                             

It comes in the moments of joy

When it is most unwelcome

To see what I will do

But I merely rejoice.

  

The wind is revered, biting but shimmering

Blowing my wispy hair in a stream behind me

Playing with my senses, testing me

To see if it can wiggle its way into my heart

  

I laugh, playing along, secretly locking my heart against it

It is merely another test sent by the love I pursue, trying to tease me

Into letting it in so it can break my heart.

My resolves weaken, I must let it in.

  

But I will only let it break my heart, as that is how I learn.

It will never touch my soul or mind… I am too strong to let it break me.

I can hold it back; I can let the broken love I hold go…

All without showing loss of strength or happiness to those around me.

  

This is who love has shaped me to be.

After wind will come rain… or maybe not.

One never knows when one serves

As ruthless yet caring a master as love.

  

It will break you… But it will help you

Not by doing it for you, but by leaving you to do it alone.

You are to gather strength by solitude…

Learn to keep things inside, to live a quiet life.

  

And so I keep my roots in the wind

And my hair in the rain

And my heart in the ground

And my mind blocks the pain.

   


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
62 Reviews


Points: 2003
Reviews: 62

Donate
Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:41 pm
Poopsie wrote a review...



hi.

I love your imagery, your description, and your wording, but while your images are great i don't see any meaning to it. You have a lot of words on a paper leading to some kind of emotion or theme, but it never really reaches the climax, its kind of confusing and it gets lost. Its very hard to explain, but the main thing is you need to get your thoughts straightened out, otherwise your writing won't go anywhere.

I think my favorite part in this is

The wind is revered, biting but shimmering

Blowing my wispy hair in a stream behind me

Playing with my senses, testing me

To see if it can wiggle its way into my heart


It is really the only time your writing flows and you convey a mood thats straightforward and connects to your theme. Don't get me wrong, i love this poem. I love the way you word it and the imagery you convey in your writing. All i'm saying is its confusing.

Keep writing bud




Random avatar

Points: 300
Reviews: 0

Donate
Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:57 pm
irenemami says...



The last paragraph is my favorite overall! Really good. Keep writing, it's suits you good.




User avatar


Points: 760
Reviews: 3

Donate
Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:02 pm
Terribilis wrote a review...



Hi Sarah12, Terribilis here with a review for you.
This poem is quite lovely, I don’t know if you meant to do this, but your poem is structured so that the stanzas starts small, but as it get farther along, it gets bigger, then at about the middle it stops growing in size, and then it goes back to smaller stanzas. I interpreted the first stanza as love not yet taking hold, due to perhaps, a past love that is no longer present. Then the larger stanzas represent love once it has blossomed and taken hold of you once more. The smaller stanzas could represent when you have either accepted things as they are, or have shunned love. This may totally just be my speculation, but your poem’s structure, adds to the overall effect. I really liked that. But seeing as how this is actually a review, I can’t just tell you what I loved about it.

Starting with the second stanza, why do you rejoice? If it is unwelcome, why are you happy? Or is you character so above whatever is so unwelcome that it makes him/her incredulous to the point where it doesn’t affect him/her?

I like your third stanza, I was slightly confused as to why wind has anything to do with it. But I later realized that wind is a representation of love, at least… I think so. Correct me if I’m wrong, but was Wind meant to be an analogy of how fickle and uncontrollable love is?

You fourth stanza bothers me a little, I feel like there’s something missing, you might consider inserting another stanza explaining how it broke your resolve.

My only nitpicks with your fifth stanza is the line “But I will only let it break my heart, as that is how I learn.” Why is it “…as that is how you learn?” and the line “I can hold it back; I can let the broken love I hold go…” Couldn’t you make this flow a bit better by just saying that …”I can let the broken love go…” We understand that it’s your love.

I love your sixth stanza, its sets the mood very, very well.

Your seventh stanza is nice, but it seemed not to flow quite as well as some of the other stanzas, and what is it helping you do by leaving you to do it alone? We need just a tiny bit more info.

Your last stanza is great, it ends the poem very well.

Overall this is a very good poem, it has good flow, and the idea behind it is great. I hope I didn’t come across harsh with some of the things I had to say. But if no one tells you what they think, how are you ever supposed to grow as a writer? Good luck in your future writing, and keep at it.
-Terribilis




Sarah12 says...


Thanks! You were correct about the wind, and I will be sure to take all of your opinions into consideration when doing edits. Thanks again!




“All stories are true," Skarpi said. "But this one really happened, if that's what you mean.”
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind