YAY! It's...Sam's amazingly short so-far fall booklist!

by Sam

Ya'll somewhat know how this works...I hope...WAHHH!

Saving The Planet...and Stuff- Gail Gauthier [Rating: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:]

Your basic 16-year-old boy goes to work with his grandparent's earth-lovin' friends for their magazine, The Earth's Wife.

Pretty cool book, made me crack up a few times, but I thought the main character was very stereotyped. Even if you are writing a comedy, it's best to keep your characters a little different, right? But yeah, other than that, a good Saturday afternoon book.

Animal Farm- George Orwell [Rating: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:]

"All animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others..."

There should be a law passed that everyone should have to read this book. :P I'm serious though...it is absolutely brilliant. Short, but to the point.

1984- George Orwell [Rating: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:]

Another Orwell one! (No wonder I'm depressed...:P)

It's interesting, to say the least, but a lot of it was very long-winded. The creepy thing, however, is the many connections to modern life in it, which really makes the reading through all the political stuff worthwhile.

Smiler's Bones- Peter Lerangis [Rating: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:]

The writing of this book was not very impressive, but the story behind it is awesome- and true.

In the early nineteen-hundreds, a group of five Polar Eskimos from Greenland were brought to New York and kept on display at the Museum of Natural History. All of the people brought over died, except for one, just a boy at the time. It's about how he grows up in a place where the customs are strange and he doesn't know the language, while dealing with his father's death- and what happened to the body.

Speak- Laurie Halse Anderson [Rating: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:]

AWESOME book. Dryly sarcastic, yet very serious at the same time. I'd definitely recommend it. Beautifully written, if you're reading as a writer, I'd pick it up and take a look.

Looking For Alaska- John Green [Rating: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:]

One of those I picked off the bookstore shelf because I liked the cover...

Another one, like Speak, where the content is harsh and real, but the author presents it in a way that makes it the most tear-bringing, beautiful thing you've ever read. Makes you laugh, makes you cry...what more do you want?

So, yeah. I definitely need to put down my math homework and go read some more...:P

Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:28 pm

The only one of those I've read is Speak, which was very good. If you haven't read Vampire Kisses by Ellen Schreiber, I demand you run to the nearest library and get it. Now. It has a sequel that just came out, too. i can't wait to get it. But I have quite a pile right now.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:22 pm
thegirlwhofateloves wrote a review...

Orwell is a total dude. All his stuff rocks. I love 1984, I think it's one of the best books I've ever read. It was really quite revolutionary for it's time and actually it's now pretty scary, I think, because society is kind of going that way...think about all the security cameras everywhere. In a couple of years I don't doubt you'll be able to document a person's almost entire life through security tape footage.
Freaky when you think about it, huh.

Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:18 am
Snoink wrote a review...

I've read three of your list... all of them were awesome. At first, I was confused with who or what "It" was. And I think the author quickened the pace of the climax too much (although I loved the girl power involved). But all in all, good stuff. ^_^

Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:49 am
ladoran wrote a review...

Orwell is brilliant! He's great at writing about discontent and change; I keep meaning to find out more about the Russian communist revolution though so i can "get" more of the allegory in Animal Farm. You should try Down and Out in Paris and London by him, its about not knowing where your next meal's coming from basically and its written from experience, which adds a grittiness to it that you couldn't get otherwise.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:44 pm
Sam says...

They're pretty obscure...just looking through the New Books section of the library and picked up ones with cool covers.

Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:06 pm
Fool wrote a review...

I've read Animal Farm because people kept saying how good it was and that i should read it... wow.... it was good, i like the last lines, "And they all laughed together, and it was impossible to tell which was which!" or something along those lines. Makes you wonder that book....

1984? rented that from the library, started it the other day, looking good so far.

Never heard of any of the others.

"Beneath this mask, there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask, there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof."
— V for Vendetta