z

Young Writers Society



Campground

by Mageheart


A Brief Explanation: I wrote this poem at the campground I went to over the weekend. It has a better title, but the title is the actual campground name and it's the type of thing that would show where I live. So please excuse the placeholder. Also, for those who haven't been camping at a privately owned campground, there tends to be at least a handful of seasonal campers. These are the guys who set up trailers and decorate them with all sorts of things, and are possibly some of the most friendly people I have ever met.

Campground

Tucked away in the corner of Nowhere,
is a Forest made of the homes
of the Forgotten Ones.

Lingering between the land of
Man and Fae, they enchant
the travelers arriving on
steeds of metal and in
large white carriages.
They marvel at twinkling lights
and floral displays,
and feel a pang of pity
when they see the
little Fae homes
that have been reclaimed
by the Forest.

If a traveler wanders into
the Forest before dusk,
and pledges to stay the night,
the Fae may invite them
into their realm –
though they will never let
them into their homes.
For this amicability
is merely a courtesy;
one extended to those
who share a common love
of Nature and Fires and
Nights-Spent-Under-Starry-Skies.

And when the night
settles upon the Forest,
a thin Mist rolls across
the small pond that is
surrounded by Fae homes.
It blankets every inch
of the Forest floor.
Covering the Fae homes and
the makeshift homes of the travelers,
the Mist gives an ethereal touch
to an already mystical place.
The elaborate floral displays
are lost to the Mist,
and the Fae lights are dimmed –
their rays radiating out in
dull, soft glows.

The Forest may appear frightening
to the lonesome traveler,
but the Fae revel in the beauty
of a night claimed by the Mist.
And, soon, the sun will rise,
pushing back the Mist.
And the travelers will leave
the land of the Fae
for the comfort of their True Homes.

Tucked in the middle of Nowhere,
is a Forest made of the homes
of the Forgotten Ones
and Those-Who-Will-Soon-Be-Forgotten.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
415 Reviews


Points: 31520
Reviews: 415

Donate
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:30 pm
View Likes
keystrings wrote a review...



As our journey continues within the magical realm of Magestorrow's poetry, we have arrived at this quite interesting poem. The background information combined with the tight stanzas we have here in this poem, gives a rather distinct idea of what kind of place a campground could possibly be in people's wildest dreams.

Let's roll on into the review then. This gives a fun fantastical feel to what otherwise might be felt as mundane to people who aren't into the whole "visit the outdoors and trees and stuff" so I'm already intrigued by the first few lines. I like how there's a sense of consistency, even with the various capitalized letters and words thrown throughout the poem. This definitely is giving me Neil Gaiman vibes, (specifically Stardust because that's the only book I've read of his) and I one hundred percent am here for it!

The timeline is a little murky for the reader primarily I think in the transition between the travelers asking to stay the night and the Mist arriving. The sole reason for this mostly comes from the fact that the reader is trying to figure out who they're reading this poem from - what view, what person, what people, or even nothing specific at all could be reciting this idea. This reads almost like a legend, or a fairy tale spoken to youngsters, and while I like that, I'm not sure if that was the intended method of conveying (if those words make any sense.) Really, what I mean is that while I like the adjoined feel from the scene, such as being told this by a slightly British voice overview a beautiful forest, I like there to be some kind of connection to the reader.

Overall, though, I think an interesting take on this poem would be to have a specific little testimony of one of these outside travelers, even for a few lines, and being able to say what they truly see. That could work well with the introduction of the Mist, saying something like "little did they know what the Mist does" as I think that flows better with both parts of the poem. I think this poem was a lot of fun to read, and I hope this was helpful!




User avatar
102 Reviews


Points: 1846
Reviews: 102

Donate
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:28 am
View Likes
TheBlueCat wrote a review...



Heya Saen! Cat back again to review this other awesome poem! ^-^ Let's get going!

First two stanzas, and I'm in love. I love the outsider look I'm getting, as well as the fantasy mixed in. Off to a great start c:

Third stanza I actually had to look up amicability, so good job! xD I also really love this stanza so far. I am also a one who loves nature(most of the time xD) and campfires and
nights-spent-under-starry-skies <3

Fourth stanza, and I adore the mist imagery. That is all <3

Ahh <3 The imagery is amazing, and I adore the whole aesthetic of the poem. You evoked so many good memories and feelings in me. ^-^

My only question is why some things are capitalized? I get it for a few things that are more of proper names, but I think personally there were too many for me.

Flow was great, as was rhythm. Line breaks were a bit weird, but not super weird for me.

Overall, <33 I love this a lot. One of my favorite poems in a while. Imagery was superb, and I love this forest now c: I hope this was helpful!

Keep writing! =^-^=
~Cat




Random avatar

Points: 3566
Reviews: 223

Donate
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:50 am
View Likes
Mathy wrote a review...



This is ZeldaIsSheik here signing in for another Review Day review on YWS! Today's review will contain helpful tips for the writer of this literature and possibly a little bit of constructive criticism as well. As you as excited as I am? Well, let's get started, then!

First off, that ending took me by surprise. I really liked the dashes between the words at the end, making it feel like it's to be read fast and express some kind of wispy voice or feeling. I like the message of living with nature and becoming one with the forest, and I like how you expressed the perspective of both yourself and the seasonal campers that you said you had at your campground. Overall I think there is little to discuss in this poem because it is so beyond my level of writing or reviewing, but I will try to find some error in it now to help you become a better writer.

The only thing that
I thought was weird
about this poem was
that it almost felt like
a sentence that you
hit enter on
each time you came to
the end of a line.

See how that feels weird? It kind of feels like you took a sentence and hit enter a few times. It threw me off at first, so maybe work on making it read a little more poetically, but it's fine if you don't; I understand that it may just be your style.





"Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein