z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

I Did Not Love My Mother.

by SacredPen


I did not love my mother. 

People like her gave stars reason to burn

To burn and expel themselves until they could no longer ignore their emptiness.

She fed them the reassurance they needed to soften the echoes of silence in their heads.

She wove them together with silk, delicate and soft,

Brittle and fragile,

Flammable. 

I did not love my mother, but mother did love her children.

Conga lines of blues and whites, whose centers are as deathly as their coronas are lively

Planted in space, imposing and flailing, scattering their joy to those who need it most

Until one day, their limbs tire, that silent song threatens to deafen them,

And they can no longer afford their joy;

Hollow hearts offer themselves to hollow soil

And all that remains is dust, frozen jewels preserved in death.

I did not love my mother, but her children did love her.

Warmth graced pale sludge heaped upon a spindly frame of loose branches

And they were the source.

She could not summon herself, so they helped her from bed into theirs.

She could not convey herself, so they translated her joy in their faces.

She could not maintain herself, so they fed her their nutrients as often as they could.

She tried to do the same for me. I didn’t try at all.

Her children loved her, but I did not love her children.

An arrangement fit for a wedding

Fit with all the enticements and flagrant displays it could manage.

It is said there is no need above that to associate,

Hence our love of mirrors, fragile as flesh.

We can’t help but laugh at those whose reflections are refracted

By cracked lenses that present us a false replication

Of our reality.

I did not love her children, but her children loved me.

Fire is fun in passing, less in person.

They say if you stare at them, you’ll go blind.

I stayed, thus, beyond their clairvoyance -

A horrid fallacy of mine -

Mother lost her perspective in a few years regardless.

She could no longer praise the vibrance of her garden of stars,

Only reciprocate their warmth.

I still shivered in my sleep.

Her children loved me, and so did she.

She could not summon herself, yet, by Seraph’s fervor infused in my roots, I rose.

She could not convey herself, yet, by snaking sweetness seeking me in my slumber, I ran.

She could not maintain herself, yet, by some manner of merciful magic, I was renewed.

She lost her perspective, yet, her eyes met mine daily, no matter how many years passed.

My mother loved me, but I could not love her.

I disappeared into the atmosphere, to stare into that mirror we all desire so inherently.

Void matched my gaze, and so we waited, my eyes untainted by the need to avert themselves.

Around me, color died in order from smallest to tallest.

Blues and whites flashed and screamed in agony

As their emptiness swallowed their brilliant husks

And the earth took itself back.

Black on black, the Void stretched endlessly.

I did not dare blink. I did not dare open my eyes. 

The warmest yellows and reds fizzled out in a melancholy harmony

Silent majority, whose warmth could not resist the impending solidification.

They spoke their last, as did she, before returning to the tenebrous depths.

They burned and burned as much as they could, until all that remained was dust.

Curiosity alone tore apart my lids, and I sighed jaggedly. 

I could not summon myself by her side.

I could not convey the gravity suppressing my chest.

I could not maintain the Void of my expression.

I had no perspective, so she let me borrow hers.

I did not love my mother.

With each of her days, she fought against the dying lights around her.

She burned, burned until she could not afford to burn any longer.

Yet she did not fizzle, nor did her sorrows and regrets swallow her away.

Rather, I stood, grasping the insides of my palms in awe at Seraph’s heat, resounding,

Bounding from willows and loose soil, making them dance once more.

I did not love my mother, but I did not hate her. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 483
Reviews: 3

Donate
Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:59 am
View Likes
AdorableAngel wrote a review...



okay! Loved it. Interesting choice, I wonder if this is actually how you feel. But I loved it, you managed to do something a lot of people struggle to do, which is showing emotions. I like the imagery you created, and how you switch things up, like the lines that seem repeated but is not. I loved how you elaborate on every thoughts that you had. I also loved your diction, your choice of word is outstanding in my opinion.
One thing that I will ask you to watch out for is the length. Thus is very long, and can make a reader lose interest if care is not taken.

Overall this was really good. I enjoyed reading it and look forward to reading more.

Zaimat




User avatar
624 Reviews


Points: 3571
Reviews: 624

Donate
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:11 am
View Likes
Casanova wrote a review...



*cracks knuckles* No reviews, long poem, daunting aspects. Check, check, and check. I'll make this brief.


Let's hit some main points. Your imagery. It's completely direct and really doesn't click well with mean. I'm left with a dry feeling, and considering I'm only getting really one side of the story here, I don't feel much emotion in forms of relating or whether or not it's just words throwing a tantrum over a page(I'm looking at this from a poetic aspect, if you need to talk, let me know, I'm usually free). But in any sense, onward.

Another thing that I disliked was the narration itself. First person is a hard one to do usually, and I don't think that it was well pulled off here. You over use bland I statements, go into third person about the mother, and then leave it at that. You repeat some phrases and words continiously, and I think that really takes away from the poem, but again this could just be me.

Another thing was the length. Don't get me wrong, I've written my share of long poems. A lot. More than I probably should've. But one thing I learned from writing so many poems, different styles and different ways, was learning when to cut off. I feel like this could've been summed up in much more dramatic way in a lot less words, and i feel that would've had a better affect on the audience.

Overall I see the concept you were going for, but i would suggest throwing some poetic aspects in there and not just the I statements that seem to follow a story that isn't completely comprehensible. But this could just be me.

Anyway, keep on doing what you're doing and find me around if you need anything.

Sincerely, Casanova





"Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known."
— Chuck Palahniuk