The Tales of Arc (Prologue Pt 1)

by SOPF

This is the first part to the prologue of "The Tales of Arc" a rough draft for a book I'm writing. Critiquing and feedback as to how compelling, or not, the story is would be appreciated. I hope you enjoy.

A Father's Love

The sun had just set in the distance giving way to the tides of night as an air of change set upon the land.

"Darkness..." Bellin thought sorrowfully, "Such a thing is truly symbolic of the deeds I have caused." Rising from his seated position he inched towards the crevice separating his place of hiding from the war-ravaged city outside. Securing his grasp on the small bundle of cloth which he nestled against his chest, Bellin set his eyes upon the remnants of the town he had once called home.

His gaze was met with the sight of debris and the blood and corpses of the fallen populace, all illuminated by the flames which danced about ravaging the land. He was horrified and with his mouth agape he was able to mouth a single whisper, "Why?" His breath became shallow and his teeth clenched as anger consumed him.

"Why!" he bellowed as he bound out from his concealment and dashed forth among the rubble which lay asunder. Whether or not he was running in the right direction was not a matter as long as he was able to distance himself from that scene.

Maintaining a firm hold on the bundle of cloth, Bellin raced onward ignoring the cries of his body, all the while being tormented by his own mind with images of the horrors of the recent past. The entire spectrum of misery set to picture and sound, that is what played out before him. Unable to bare the mental agony, he fell to his knees taking shallow, quivering breaths. He no longer had the will to carry on.

His body slumped in depression but once his gaze shifted downward he was restored with vigor and his spirits were uplifted, for laying within the cloth was all the motivation he needed.

"I'm sorry," Bellin said softly, " Throughout this entire ordeal I have focused only on the impact this has had on myself and in doing so I have forgotten my duties. Arc, my son, this world needs you. Upon your back rests the fate of all things, and I cannot deny you your destiny."

Arc, who lay quietly in his father's arms, did not respond to Bellin's words for he was not of the age of speaking, instead he bore into his, Bellin's, eyes with the curiosity most babies share. It was then that Bellin's consciousness of his surroundings returned allowing him to hear a faint tapping that drew nearer with every passing second. Knowing the great danger that noise could impose, he began searching for some form of cover.

Underneath a heap of wood, he hid leaving only a small slit for sight. His heart began to thunder with anticipation as the emitters of the sound came into view. Clad in iron chain mail and leggings and each bolstering a deadly broadsword at their waists, three knights walked passed Belli and Arc without giving any notice to the visions of disparity they surpassed.

Once again, Bellin was encompassed by a blazing fury while those men tread without a care. Those were the men who had done all of this. Them and their comrades had devastated nearly everything Bellin had held dear, and it was for that reason he wished to reap the most horrid vengeance upon them, but now was not the time to do so, especially in the presence of his infant son.

Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:30 am
SOPF says...

Thanks everyone. Your posts have helped me to realize that this part of the prologue is very cliched so I plan to have a revised version, including the entire prologue rather than pieces of it, which I think will possess much more originality. Sadly, it seems like few of you read the second part to my prologue in which things become much more exciting and, from what I know, original. Please read it if you hadn't and reply on the revised version I'm going to put up because all your input is very valuable to me.
PEACE......

JC wrote a review...

"Darkness..." Bellin thought sorrowfully, "Such a thing is truly symbolic of the deeds I have caused."

Ouch. That's painfully cliche. So classic fantasy/video game. (why are video games always fantasy? anyways...). It's like some unwritten rule, fire=bad guys, somebody needs revenge, there's somebody who's destined to defeat said bad guys, and darkness is evil, symbolizing all the bad things in the world. Show me something new. Make me go, wow, I never expected that. I don't want to be further brainwashing into the classic thought of darkness bad, light is good. As an example, in a book I'm writing at the moment, darkness symbolizes safety. That's mixing it up. Especially in fantasy, it is one of most important aspect of writing there is. That's what makes writing fun. Add something I won't expect, change some symbols, make this fantasy your own.

Also, thoughts are often stated in italics, unless the character actally says it, in which case it is less thought, than statement.

His gaze was met with the sight of debris and the blood and corpses of the fallen populace, all illuminated by the flames which danced about ravaging the land.

This sentance could use some mixing up, it's just odd all around.

So, you asked for the compellingness of the story? Well, this was a short prologue, and not much happened, so I can't really tell, seeing as I don't know the plotline yet. Though, I can guess that this baby will grow up to be some hero. Honestly the predictablitliy makes it a lot less exceiting, but the execution throughout should make it worthwhile.

Something I did notice though, your writing style reminds me of something I see around quite a bit, it reminds me of christopher paolini's style. It seems almost like you're trying so hard to make the text sound smart and elegant, that the meaning of most senteces is lost in translation. There were a few times I had to read a sentence a few times just to understand, "he looked around." You're trying so hard to make it great, that it's just not...it doesn't flow. Is what I'm trying to say, I guess.

You don't have to impress the audience, just say what you need to say.

And Now I gotta go, I'm being tickled into surrender.

Bye!

Keep up the good work!
-JC

Meep wrote a review...

Try not to start stories with descriptions of the weather. It's like an awkward conversation, where you run out of things to talk about. It's a classic stumbling point like "It was a dark and stormy night..."

That first line of dialogue needs to go. It's really awful. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's a really emo, unnatural thing to say, which bodes badly for ... pretty much everything. All of Bellin's dialogue is the same. I recommend you check out the Nuances of Natural Dialogue usergroup. It's a good place to be.

This reads like the prologue to a classic fantasy RPG on the old PlayStation. The whole "last survivor(s) from an unjust raid on a defenseless town" is a pretty standard fantasy cliché, and not a particularly interesting one. Furthermore, Bellin seems to blame himself, although it does not seem to be his fault: another boring cliché.

Finally, you need to show more and tell less, I think. Describe the battle in more detail: what does it look like? sound like? smell like? People often notice small, seemingly irrelevant details when they're panicked like that, something to keep in mind.

I'm hoping that the rest of this branches out into something new and exciting.

Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:53 pm
ATragicLoveStory wrote a review...

Daniel,

Alainna and Andy had pretty much said everything I was going to point out. I'm not that big into fantasy either, yet it sort of caught my attention. I enjoyed it though. No mistakes in grammar or punctuation from what I can see. Nice job.

Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:12 pm
SOPF says...

Thanks Alainna,
I made the changes you suggested all except for the first one. "such a thing is truly symbolic of the deeds I have caused" the only reason I put caused rather than done is because he didn't actually commit the acts of destruction he was just the reason for their happening.
Once again, thank you.

Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:57 pm
Alainna wrote a review...

Hey SOPF!!

First off, this was good and I think it was compelling (enough for a prologue anyway..).
Just a tip: Try to space out your writing so that it isn't a block, you're more likely to get more crits if you make it easier on the eye. :wink:

Such a thing is truly symbolic of the deeds I have caused

Something about this line just doesn't fit. maybe it's because usually you would say 'deeds I have done' rather than caused, but it doesn't quite flow.

The entire spectrum of misery set to picture and sound, [s]that is what [/s]played out before him.

It reads better as:
The entire spectrum of misery set to picture and sound played out before him.

Throughout this entire ordeal I hav e focused only on the impacted this has had on myself and in doing so I have forgotten my duties

*have.
*impact

It was then that Bellin's consciousness of his surroundings returned allowing him to hear a faint tapping [that] drew nearer with every passing second.

Once again, Bellin was encompassed by a blazing fury ,[s]as [/s]while those men tread without a care.

I really like where this is going; which says a lot as I don't really like the fantasy scene!

Keep up the good work,
Alainna
xxxxx

Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:19 pm
SOPF says...

Squallz thanks for the critiquing.
Well, the reason I haven't tried to give the reader a connection to Bellin yet is because this story isn't about him but about his son Arc. I know the whole fate/destiny thing is all played out but I don't plan on following the same path as many videogames and previous books. Also, this is the more boring part to the prologue. Part 3 is, IMO, the best part, but I haven't put it up yet.

Oh yeah, Final Fantasy is one of the best game series. I especially liked 10 and 7. Squall from 8 was pretty cool though.

Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:56 am
Squall wrote a review...

Hi there. I've read your welcome and I'm glad you have such a fancy for fantasy. I hope you're a fan of Final Fantasy.

Onwards to my critique. To me, this was alright. I haven't felt a connection to your character yet, but since this is a prologue, it's alright.

The conflict doesn't seem that compelling to me. I mean, your main character's home is destroyed and sounds like this would lead to revenge. Sounds familar a couple of fantasies I know.

Your descriptions are good. Not too much, not too little. Just right so that I can paint a picture and you didn't info dump (I'm a sucker for info dumping.)

Your dialogue, I think, needs some work. You mentioned things like fate and destiny. Lets be honest here, I think the theme of fate and destiny had been so overused. Why can't people decide things themselves instead of relying on a greater being?

I didn't spot any grammer errors, though have in one line was spelt "h ave"

That's all I have to say for now. I think you have potential since you said you were going to shake the fantasy genre. Here's something for you to think about.

PM me if you need help. Wish you luck.

Andy

I was weeping as much for him as her; we do sometimes pity creatures that have none of the feeling either for themselves or others.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights