z

Young Writers Society



Her.

by SIRB100


Look at her. She is everything you are not. Her long graceful movements flowing effortlessly everywhere she goes. Radiating a laidback air. She glows with the warmth of the sun. She's everything you are not. You want so desperately to hate her. They fall deeply and clumsily in love with her, one after another tripping over each other, all so eagerly hoping to just get the smallest glimmer of her affection. She is unimpressed, annoyed in fact. She would rather throw herself deep into a book, then interact with any of them. You are flabbergasted. It's everything you're not. Everything you would kill for. Everything that makes you work to be better. And yet she has it all, and would love nothing better than to throw it away. It's her.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 825
Reviews: 14

Donate
Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:49 pm
katiehorsie wrote a review...



Hiya,

So I like this a lot, and I think everyone in the world can somehow relate to this. Anyways, you did a good job with description of everything, and you were pretty good with punctuation and grammar and such. However, I noticed about five things that need to be changed or that I found strange.

1. You need a comma between long and graceful in the first line.
2. Right after that, in the second line, "Radiating a laidback air." is a fragment. I don't know if you used it as a stylistic thing, but I think - if it was stylistic - it is a bit strange.
3. I think it would be a bit better if you had a comma between another and tripping in "one after another tripping over each other"
4. "She would rather throw herself deep into a book, then interact with any of them." Here, you should take the comma out and replace then with than. (then is like after and than is the comparison)
5. "And yet she has it all, and would love nothing better than to throw it away. " You do not need the comma there because it is not followed by an independent clause. The rule is that a comma is only needed before a conjunction (the fan boys) if the conjunction is followed by an independent clause. If it is a dependent clause, the comma is not needed.

So if you fix those five little things, this will be all the better.




katiehorsie says...


Well, some of this is if you don't break the lines up



User avatar
75 Reviews


Points: 605
Reviews: 75

Donate
Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:22 pm
View Likes
Tommybear says...



I liked this and I thought it had a lot of potential, but to be honest, the ending left me wanting. Good writing though, and I'd love to see more, whether you thought about doing more is a completely different story, however. Great job




User avatar
67 Reviews


Points: 358
Reviews: 67

Donate
Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:22 am
cm57105 wrote a review...



Wow, we'll done! That was very good!

Well first off I would just like to say it was very impressive!
I was deeply enjoyed the short piece and and impressed that would move me that much.
I think you have a peticular talent and I would definitely like to see more off your work!
Onto nitpicking,

I would like to say (sorry for the nitpicking) that maybe you could separate the different lines in the story to structure your poem out and seek more attention to particular passages.

Also some parts where slightly confusing and I would like to review those:

Firstly, for this part

Her long graceful movements flowing everywhere she goes.

I don't think that it was the best choice of words there.

Also the next part.

Radiating a laid back air

I think you could join those sentences together

Apart from a few grammar mistakes I thought you did an awesome job!




User avatar
117 Reviews


Points: 5497
Reviews: 117

Donate
Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:55 am
TwistedMuffins wrote a review...



Hi there!

First of all, welcome to YWS! Hope you enjoy it here!

I think this poem of yours could use a structure. When there is no structure, and presented the way you have presented this poem, it can easily be mistaken as a prose. If you can't seem to cut it into paragraphs/stanzas. try something like a free verse:

Look at her.
She is everything you are not.
Her long graceful movements flowing effortlessly everywhere she goes.
Radiating a laidback air.
She glows with the warmth of the sun.
She's everything you are not.
You want so desperately to hate her.
They fall deeply and clumsily in love with her,
one after another tripping over each other,
all so eagerly hoping to just get the smallest glimmer of her affection.
She is unimpressed, annoyed in fact.
She would rather throw herself deep into a book,
then interact with any of them.
You are flabbergasted.
It's everything you're not.
Everything you would kill for.
Everything that makes you work to be better.
And yet she has it all,
and would love nothing better than to throw it away.
It's her.

Okay?

Also, I found some parts rather confusing (which I shall mention as I go on), and some grammatical errors.

Look at her. She is everything you are not. Her long graceful movements flowing effortlessly everywhere she goes. Radiating a laidback air.


This is more of the punctuation that you need to change. Try something like,

Look at her;
she is everything you are not.
With her long graceful movements,
flowing effortlessly everywhere she goes,
radiating a laid back air.

(The bolds here are the changes)

Also, the line, "radiating a laid back air", it just doesn't seem right. I can't exactly pin point it to you, but you should either change that, or just throw it away.

She would rather throw herself deep into a book, then interact with any of them.


1. Why a book? What is wrong with a book? When you say the sentence, "She would rather throw herself deep into a book", it seems as though, she hates the book, but she has no choice. But frankly, I think if you say 'brook', instead of 'book', if wouldn't make her character seem all so stuck up.

2. By 'then', I think you meant 'than'. There is a big difference between 'then' and 'than'.

'Then' would be something coming after, whereas 'than' is a comparison between two things, which is supported by 'rather'. . Like, for example, 'she ate the chocolate, and then she went to sleep.' and 'I would rather drink coffee than drink tea.'

Okay?

Now, this is the part where it gets confusing.

It's everything you're not. Everything you would kill for. Everything that makes you work to be better.


What is everything "you" are not? Are you talking about "her" looks? If looks, then the next sentence, "Everything that makes you work to be better", is quite controversial.

So anyways, I hope you can clear that up for me.

I hope I wasn't too harsh on you. Remember, this is simply my opinion. Others may disagree with me, or others may agree with me, but this is how I think you should perfect your poem.

Other than that, I think it was quite a nice poem. It was clear (except for some parts, which I've already mentioned.) and had a plot.

There were many things I liked, but I liked this in particular.

She is unimpressed, annoyed in fact.


It is actually really simple, and nothing I should really have to point out. But I just really like the placement of this sentence. I've seen other works with this sort of sentence, but it was completely out of context, and ill placed. But I was really happy with the way you've put it in.

I hope you don't get discouraged, and continue working hard, and keep improving. Trust me, you are way better started out, than I was. I was pathetic, really. But you've done amazingly well, for a beginner.

Keep it up! ^^

If you want to know anything, about YWS, or my review, or simply just want to talk, feel free to spam my wall, or inbox me! :D

-TwistedMuffins.





Talent is something that comes from within; it has nothing to do with age.
— AURORA