z

Young Writers Society


12+

Papettomasuta (Puppet Master)

by Rurouni


A quick note: No, this is NOT a spin off of Pinocchio, this is my creation, they just happen to be similar.

~Papettomasutā~

_______________

she was a small doll

whom he brought to life

and lovingly named "Ningyō"

and told her he was her "Masutā"

-

this Puppetmaster

made her so that she may live

a happy life

beside a man

-

one day he sat in front of her

with a soft smile

and glowing hands

but his heart hurt

-

"Papetto no Ningyō" he whispered

"yes Masutā"

"yes good Ningyō" he nodded

"what is it Masutā"

-

he reached down and touched her flushed cheek

"Ningyō you are so delightful" he told her

Ningyō's cheeks darkened with color

"Masutā tell me what it is that is troubling you"

-

"Ningyō your waist" he cooed softly

"its much too wide" he grabbed her waist

she cried out as he crashed her middle into herself

"it must hurt, mustnt it Papetto"

-

"anything for you Masutā" she whispered from her tears

"no no not just me" he scolded softly

"Masutā?"

"this is how everyone wants you Ningyō"

-

Ningyō stared up at him with confused eyes

"Masutā why do they seek pain in their-"

"Ningyō you dare question me"

"never Masutā i never would"

-

"good Papetto" he cooed as he kissed her

"but Masutā why must they"

he sighed and shook his head "i'm not the one

who makes these decisions Ningyō"

-

Papettomasutā

fattened her hips and her breasts

so that she may become

the puppet of any man

-

Puppetmaster did it so

she may find a better love

among the mortals

and live a happy life forever

or thats at least what Masutā had in mind



Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
806 Reviews


Points: 1883
Reviews: 806

Donate
Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:56 am
View Likes
Aley wrote a review...



Hey Ruro,

I realized this poem doesn't have a really good review with a lot of content comments. First off, I'd like to say that after reading your poetry through all this time, I really feel like you've improved a lot by the time you wrote this one. You've come into your own when it comes to poetry and I appreciate that about you. You grow. That being said, in this poem in particular you have managed to really tell a story and create a setting which is hard to do in poetry, and not something you could have done when you started. You've created a situation which draws us into the lives of these characters, and that makes us attached to them regardless of what actually happens in the poem. This is a great base to start with and you do a very good job creating it quickly within the first stanza.

Onto the critique.

I have a few things I'd like to critique, first, the beginning of your story is a little confusing because of the language you use, second, I think you need to consider your punctuation and decide if that's really what's best for the poem, or if something else could support it better, and third, I'd like to talk about parts of your narration where you get a bit too philosophical and it interrupts the story.

I feel like even while you do this great job creating the story, you add too much detail when you've already established the story. In the first two stanzas we have established that you're not using punctuation or capitalization like normal. That's fine, but you jump ahead in the plot. When you say "a happy life/beside a man" I expect that the doll has already been given to someone who will love her forever, not that she is still with her creator. That means I'm entering into the next section expecting that Papettomasuta has returned to her where she is placed and is editing his creation from afar. This isn't really the case. Instead, he's still trying to get her placed which is unclear.

I don't want to take away from the fable sort of feel from this poem. I think you do that exceptionally well and I think it should remain with that sort of note, but I think you need to look at editing that section to enter into a different tense. It's going to be something simple like a single word here or there that you'll change or add. Look over the section and determine exactly what can be done to establish that she's waiting to live with a man. It might not even be in the second stanza, but the third. Instead of saying "one day he sat in front of her" say something like "One day he took her from the shelf" Not only will this give us more of a size reference, but it will show us that he's controlling her completely and that she's not currently living happily with a man like she was made to do, but waiting to live with one and hasn't been selected yet.

The rest of your story is not misleading at all. It's very clear and the dialogue between the two is direct and provides a simple understanding of what's going on. The next thing I'd like to talk to you about is actually the punctuation. While you use a lack of punctuation well, I don't think it really benefits the story. Right now the problem is that you have scattered punctuation. Quotation marks are still punctuation, dashes are still punctuation, so you're not eliminating all of it. This makes some things a little more confusing than they necessarily should be. Your decision to use quotation marks and dashes, but not commas, apostrophes, periods, and so forth is odd. Because it's odd it draws too much attention. I can guess that you used quotation marks to indicate that the story was using dialogue, which is necessary. In a normal story, we would have all of the punctuation though, so there's no reason to avoid it. Because of that, I would recommend you keep your capitalization, which makes sense, but add in mild punctuation.

If you do this, you'll add support for words like "can't" and give us more of a feeling of urgency from the Puppetmaster when he's scolding his creation for talking back to him and it will create more of a sense of "story" in the poem as people will be reading it in a familiar system of language. You can keep the lack of capitalization with punctuation because right now it is very clear that you're only capitalizing names, and that works for this story because the names are very important pieces of information. This works. Like always, if you try it and it don't like it, you don't have to keep the new version, and I really do encourage you to go with what you like. This leads me to the last piece of advice I'd like to offer.

Right now you have a couple lines like "or that's at least what Matusa had in mind" and I feel like these lines sort of undercut the power of the image. I think the best way to dismount a poem is with a strong image, and leaving it with a saying like that doesn't really make it that strong in my opinion. If you'd left it with an image or a line which told us that it hurt Ningyo more than Masuta understood, then I think it would be a very provocative part of the poem. For this reason, I think you need to cut out any lines where you are judging what he's doing and instead, show the inner workings of pain that Masuta has caused his creation. This is really going to shape the identity of the poem as one where after the story is over, you have to ask yourself "What was the moral" and instead of reiterating a line back, it's going to vary and all be very good morals. People are best at finding meaning in a story that makes their stomachs churn. Don't be nice and wrap this up for us, make us work for that wrap up and don't close the door. Instead, make us search for our own closure.

Overall, I think you could make some of the lines more powerful, mostly the three word lines, but you've got a very good way of telling a story here, and I really appreciate that about this poem. You've managed to work in the language well enough that coming back to the poem, I'm not concerned about people getting confused about that. Instead, I feel like you're taking too much faith in the reader away. Instead of delivering their cake to their laps, make them actually get up and get a plate. That's going to be a lot more rewarding for the poem and I think you're going to find that it hits deeper with an image at the end.

Aley




User avatar
139 Reviews


Points: 5205
Reviews: 139

Donate
Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:17 pm
Biluata says...



Very good, very good. I agree with @godlypopo wholeheartedly. The only thing I would do is add commas and periods!




Rurouni says...


Thanks! All the commas are accidental, -has to remember to go back and fix that-



Random avatar

Points: 240
Reviews: 13

Donate
Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:27 am
chrisharley wrote a review...



This could be formatted a bit better so it can make clear to read. The story you told had nothing to do with Pinocchio why would you assume the reader would appropriate it with your poem? Anyways. . . The story was original and nice, give us the message in your own words in the comments and it could help make your poem awesome. Like your poem/story.




Rurouni says...


I did the note because SOME people can make a fake connection, Pinocchio turns into a real boy, he was a form of a puppet, etc. Thanks! I appreciate it, I still have yet to get formatting down on YWS.



User avatar
131 Reviews


Points: 8053
Reviews: 131

Donate
Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:56 am
godlypopo wrote a review...



Hello, I'm here to review your poem :D

Wow, this story talks of a female puppet being manipulated and used without her knowledge since she was never taught the difference between right and wrong. You could relate this to how women have suffered endlessly throughout history as they control women like puppets of their own show. The idea that the puppet changed her appearance is similar to how women are always changing to be 'impressive' when they are only being used as throw away toys by countless numbers of men. A truly message driven Poem!

That's all from me,
Godly :D




Rurouni says...


Thanks! I'm glad you got the message. I was trying to make it so when she was created and turned into a woman, her figure was more accepted, plump. So that's where he had to change her to fit in with society. Thanks!



godlypopo says...


No problem :D



Random avatar

Points: 4091
Reviews: 118

Donate
Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:26 am
Reet3103 wrote a review...



Hey there.

I liked the story line, and the thought behind this, well written. I suggest you should use capitals and commas effectively, just a suggestion, okay?

And even though it didn't rhyme, it somehow added to the whole composition. The reader should be compelled to read on, and I was. I wanted to know what happens. You could've added more to the part of HOW it happened.

"good Papetto" he cooed as he kissed her

"but Masutā why must they"

he sighed and shook his head "i'm not the one

who makes these decisions Ningyō"

I like these lines the best, really good expression here.

Rest, it was great.

Keep writing and stay blessed xo




Rurouni says...


Thanks! If there were any commas it was by pure accident XD My inner story writer adding them in. Thanks again!




This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper.
— T.S. Eliot