Inner Beauty - Chapter 1.1

by RubyRed

A/N: I am not happy about the title and plan on changing it. If you have any suggestions please mention them in your review.

As Rachael walked about her mother's gardens, questions filled her mind. She felt quite overwhelmed with her future decisions. Her mother was going to marry her off soon since she was becoming of age. The very thought of marriage scared her, and made her want to hide. 

Rachael was a immensely attractive woman. Her curly, dark blonde locks draped her pale face, her light green eyes caught almost every man's attention, and she held herself elegantly. Around her neck was a thin chain. At the end of it was a heart shaped locket given to her by her father.

Rachael's mother was watching her from her bedroom window. The queen sighed, and thought about her child's future.

"Oh, Laurie, what am I going to do with her? She's such a darling girl. I hate to put any unnecessary pressure on her, but she must marry soon. Since her father died she's been so quiet, and withdrawn. Sometimes I feel like we're miles apart. It saddens me seeing her like this. Oh, how I wish there was something I could do," she said to her maid.

"I beg your pardon your majesty, but you can do something for her."

"What do you suggest? I'm open to anything at this point," she said with a sigh.

"You could have a ball! We haven't had one since—since... Maybe she'll meet someone there."

The queen thought on this, and soon agreed with Laurie. Maybe a ball would do just the thing. A suiter was likely to be found there. The queen opened her bedroom window, and called out to her daughter. Rachael looked up at her, and quickly came inside. She went up the staircase and found her mother sitting on her bed.

"Sit, my child. I have just the thing to brighten up your spirits! We will hold a ball, and I will invite many young men your age and older to dance with you. You shall have a splendid time wearing your new grown. I will buy you a new set of jewelry just for the occasion."

Rachael looked excited to her mother, but inside she still didn't feel satisfied, "Oh, mother, it will be wonderful... I just know it."

"Good, it's settled then. I will go downstairs and make preparations," the queen said rushing down the stairs.

Rachael sat on her mother's bed, and twiddled her fingers while she thought about her father. They hadn't hosted a ball since his death. This made her think of him. He could make her smile even if she was trying her hardest to remain sad. Her father's smile was everything to her. When she was little, she'd try her best to make him laugh just so she could watch as the wrinkles around his eyes started buckling, and listen to the satisfying sound of his low chuckle. But all this came to an end when her father became sick. In the dark ages, medicine wasn't well developed so they bled him, but that only sparkled the fire that in the end consumed him. There was a burial which Rachael can remember vividly.

Even though the sun was shining, it seemed so dark that day. She will never forget it. How she wished she didn’t take his presence for granted. He could no longer hold her when she needed him to, nor could he give her mother support. Rachael took all these things upon herself when she was seven. It had been ten years since his death, but she still experienced much agony when brought back to those lingering memories. They weighed her down like burdens—ones she didn't deserve to carry. It began to antagonize her at one point, but at this moment in time, she looked sorrowful like she'd lost the battle.

All was soon to fit in place as the missing puzzle pieces are yet to be found.

ChieTheWriter wrote a review...

Hello! Now what...oh wait...I'm supposed to be reviewing. The story was great! (I'm not the best reviewer so double check what I say) I only saw one word misuse:

"since she was becoming of age."

it should be:

"since she was coming of age."

There were a couple of places where you missed commas and all, but overall, it was awesome.

RubyRed says...

Thanks don't forget to click the like button. :)

*clicks like button*

Charm wrote a review...

Hey! Here to review your first chapter as you have requested :)

First Thoughts:
The first I realized when reading your chapter was the you were telling me and not showing. I felt sort of disappointed at the lack of mystery and suspense in the first paragraph. You could show us with actions that she is upset and hint at it, later telling us in dialogue. The show not tell issue continued throughout the chapter as you explained that she was a extremely attractive woman. Don't tell us that she is attractive show us. Don't tell us exactly what she looks like, hint at it. For example, 'The wind tugged at her blonde delicate curls'. I was confused when you changed from Rachael to her mother.

Story:
The story is very interesting but it doesn't feel like it is in the Medieval era. Make sure you do research and learn the way people talked. The Medieval times were hundreds of years ago, you'd expect people to talk differently. Also people at those times had very strict different statuses, each status of people talked differently. The poor people had their own vocabulary.
The fact that the queen called her servant Laurie is historically inaccurate. It would probably be Miss Laura, Miss Laurie or Miss [her last name].
Rachael sounds sort of like a disney princess which is not something I'm necessarily pleased with. I just want a sort of princess who is tough and maybe hot headed. She seems like your typical disney princess.
I have to admit, at the moment I feel like your story is sort of cliche. You have the sweet, innocent princess who loves her father who passed away. You have the ball and wanting to find a suitor. It just all seems like some disney movie I saw when I was younger.

Grammar:
"A suitor was likely to be found there."

Suggestions:
"As Rachael walked about her mother's gardens, questions filled her mind."
I feel like this sentence was sort of awkward. 'Questions filled her mind' sounds sort of weird and awkward. Maybe rewording it would help it flow and roll of the tongue
better.
I think on your dialogue if you add description to them it would make it much easier for people to imagine what's going on.
"The queen thought on this, and soon agreed with Laurie. Maybe a ball would do just the thing. A suiter was likely to be found there. The queen opened her bedroom window, and called out to her daughter. Rachael looked up at her, and quickly came inside. She went up the staircase and found her mother sitting on her bed."
This sounds way to straightforward. Add color to the words, add emotion.
You're dialogue feels awkward since the narration is modern and the dialogue is sort of old fashioned. Try reading old books like Jane Austen, Lewis Carroll, even though that's not the right time period you'll get a better understanding of how that sort of narration is like.

Summary:
Okay. I think the story was sort of cliche, it lacked in many areas. The areas where it lacked were the characters, the suspense, the imagery and description. I also felt you lacked your research on the medieval time period. I love historical fiction, so much! I cannot stand reading a novel that drifts away from the cultural basics of that time period.

I hope this review help and I'm sorry if it was negative. I try my hardest to be honest in my reviews,
Alice ♥

RubyRed says...

Thanks! You're right, it's not good.

Charm says...

Aw I didn't mean it like that. I just mean it needs some work. All things need work, all things can become better. It's my job as a reviewer to point out the flaws but that doesn't mean there isn't any strengths.

Charm says...

Everything that I mentioned can be fixed and quite easily. If you need my help or advice, you can always PM me or find me on chat :)

Sujana wrote a review...

I'll be honest with you, since you said that that's what you preferred from me (or at least implied); this start is simply...okay. It is the most okay start to a novel start I've read from here. It isn't necessarily fantastic, but it isn't bad either, so I don't know how to review it. Whether or not the book will be good overall depends entirely on the series of events after this, but for now, this wasn't exactly the most addicting beginning, nor was it the sort of beginning that pleads for its readers to run away as fast as possible. It was fine. It was okay. Whether or not okay is enough will depend entirely on how the story will unfold.

-"You shall have a splendid time wearing your new grown." You shall have a splendid time wearing your new gown.

-""Good, it's settled then. I will go downstairs and make preparations," the queen said rushing down the stairs." I have a bit of doubt with texts like these, because it feels redundant to me. I mean, she's already said she's going to the stairs, so you could just leave the description of the action as 'the queen said as she left' and have no sacrifices. Saying it twice just feels weak and a little dull.

-" In the dark ages, medicine wasn't well developed so they bled him, but that only sparkled the fire that in the end consumed him." Would the proper way to describe a disease slowly killing a person be "sparkling a fire?" I'm not quite sure what sparkling a fire means. Did you mean sparking a fire? Or fanning a fire that was already there? And while we're talking about this line, you say that this is 'the dark ages' we're talking about. This is...unconventional. Usually the idea is to immerse the reader in the story, convince them that they're living it. You've already shown us princesses and queens and kings, so we can tell that this isn't your ordinary modern day story, but to mention directly that this is the dark ages as if the narrator was from the future makes a divide between the reader and the story. It's the author screaming "Just so you know, none of this is real and it will have no affect on your life whatsoever", which completely detracts from the purpose of the story. Writers are, in their essence, illusionists. You show the readers magic, not smoke and mirrors. Of course, this could've been entirely intentional and it turns out that the story is told from the perspective of a future person, which would make this entire rant meaningless.

Now, onto the actual review:

Again, I'll be honest with you. This was an okay chapter. By that, I mean that it has nothing going for it, nothing going against it--it's a princess story, the princess is sad, the princess is going to get married soon oh no, the princess has an inevitable death of paternal figure, and the princess is inevitably beautiful. But again, there's still nothing against it so far. I have no reason to dislike this chapter. I have little reason to like it, either.

I can't tell you now what I think of this book, because hey, first chapters aren't exactly the best impressions. But I will tell you that, in this chapter, there are a lot of good conflicts that could be used to bring your characters to life. For example, the marriage--how does it make Rachael feel? Why doesn't Rachael want to get married? Why is the queen forcing her to get married? All of these have answers that will test the characters and show us what they're truly made of. But you don't fully explore that, you just sort of state the conflict and leave it like that, making it harder for the reader to invest in the characters.

For now, though, that's all I have to say. I've got my notes, and I'll see how the next chapter fares. Good job.

Signing out,

--EM.

RubyRed says...

This isn't the end of the first chapter there's Chapter 1.2 out right now. xD

Sujana says...

Ah, then apologies. Usually I'm more orientated to "first chapter=first part" that sort of thing, but lengthening it out will probably explain it a bit more. Thank you.

RubyRed says...

That's fine. :3

InfiniteRectangles wrote a review...

This review is brought to you by InfiniteRectangles

Hello! This was a really great start to a novel. I love that your language and setting is consistent with the time period. Also, Rachael seems like an interesting character and I'm interested to know more about her, which is a good thing, considering this is a novel. xD I see that someone else already pointed this out, so I won't elaborate, but make sure that you don't make your character too perfect. The reader needs to be able to relate to her in some way.

I saw a few grammar errors, but it's just minor stuff. I'll point some of them out for you.

Rachael was an immensely attractive woman.

I wouldn't use the word "woman" here, as it is said earlier that she is just now becoming of age. I would either change it to "girl" or take out the word entirely so it would just be: "Rachael was immensely attractive."

Her curly, dark blonde locks draped over her pale face; her light green eyes caught almost every man's attention, and she held herself elegantly.

I think this sentence is still technically correct without the word "over", but it just sounds better with it in (in my opinion anyway.) Also, this sentence is a bit long. I suggest shortening it a bit by making the first part a separate sentence. Like this: "Her curly, dark blonde locks draped over her pale face. Her light green eyes caught almost every man's attention, and she held herself elegantly.

the queen said, rushing down the stairs.

Be careful when using the word "said". Try to avoid using the word at all, but if you have to, follow it up with some emotion. "Said" is a pretty emotionless word, and doesn't give the readers any idea what the character is feeling. There are so many other, better words to use. (i.e. "inquired", "mused", "wondered", just to name a few.)

Your plot seems consistent so far. I haven't found the dreaded plot hole yet (but this is just the first chapter haha.) I like the way you are developing your characters in stages rather than all at once. It gives the readers more of a chance to connect with them. My only suggestion is to not reveal too much at once. Such as her father's death. I, personally, would have waited a bit longer to talk about how he died and had a "big reveal", so there would be more suspense. That's just my opinion, though.

In conclusion, this is a great start to a novel. You've stayed consistent, your characters are interesting, and your plot is developing very nicely. Your grammar was also mostly good. I didn't have to point out too many errors, and the ones I did point out were just minor stuff. I would just slow things down a tad bit with the plot so you don't reveal too much at once, though. However, don't keep too much stuff from the reader either, because it could make the reader feel that they don't belong and they will lose interest. So, try to have a balance somewhere (sorry if that doesn't make sense haha xD)

Keep writing and have a wonderful day/night! :D

(I apologize if this review was not as thorough as you would have liked. I've been super busy lately. I've been rehearsing for a play! :D)

RubyRed says...

Thank you so much for the feed back I'm glad you liked it and thanks for pointing out my mistakes. The next part is up if you're interested. Don't forget to click the like button! (: God bless!

DivergentDemigod wrote a review...

Hey!
WARNING: I suck at reviewing novel chapters... so dont expect anything that good. ;)

okay so this was awesome. really. I liked the way you took the theme of a daughter-father relationship. personaally for me, my dad is everything. i could do anything and everything for him. His smile always makes my day, and eventhough him being more of a kid than me, i love him more than i love myself... so yeah i like the way you used it, and even though it is sad that her father died, you have portrayed, her feelings quite well.

as a reader even though i loved it, i wuld like to know more about what happened, at his funneral, so i would suggest you give us a 'flashack' there.

also the way you started the story felt a little off to me... i mean make it a little more dramatic, like maybe something reminds her of her father, or maybe a fight with her mother ( just thinking out loud there, I dont want to spoil the mother-daughter relation though)

"Even though the sun was shining, it seemed so dark that day" THIS. LINE. IS . AMAZING! i totally love it, though it is simple, but thats the thing about you... your simplicity speaks louder than sophisticated works to me...( not that you not use sophisticated things.. uh you got what i meant right?!)

anyways... you hooked me with this story of yours. and it would be evil if you dont inform me when the next chapter is published.
Great work...hope to see more of it!

insanely yours,
Fangirl~

oo i just noticed you have published the second chapter... i wont have to wait YAY!! but do inform me when you publish future chapters... ;)

RubyRed says...

Thanks so much! I think I should do some flashbacks thanks for the idea. Don't forget to click the like button and I will inform you when the future chapters are up.

RubyRed says...

You forgot to click the "like" button. xD

skelbees wrote a review...

Hello! I really like how this is going so far. Rachel is an intriguing character, and I can't wait to hear more about her! Here are some suggestions and notes that I have:

As she walked about her mother's gardens, she thought about what her life would soon become. This question was always racing through her mind since she held a high position. Rachael was the princess of Vindel, and she was coming of age, which meant she was soon to be married off.

Starting off, I would introduce her name in the first sentence, to avoid confusion. In the second sentence it refers to a question running through her mind, but there was never a question asked in the first place. It just said she thought about what her life would become. I would suggest,

"Rachel's mind raced as she walked about her mother's gardens. The question of what her life was to become came more regularly now than ever."

Stating that she was the princess of Vindel tells the reader that she held a high position, so there is no need to explicitly state it.

She saw marriage as a sort of prison--she couldn't bear being married to someone yet. She was only seventeen, and the thought of marriage made her want to escape to a safe place.

Be bolder with your metaphors! They are great ways of developing your characters. You wouldn't say "Your eyes are a sort of ocean." You can simplify this beautifully:

"At only seventeen, marriage was a prison. Just the thought of it made her want to escape."

Rachael was a immensely attractive woman. Her curly, dark blonde locks draped her pale face, her light green eyes caught almost every man's attention, and the way she held herself made her look elegant. Her dress was light blue with white lace at the elbows, which hung to her fingertips. And around her neck was a long necklace with a locket at the end. This locket was given to her by her father when she was little.

This should be the start of a new paragraph. I wouldn't use the word "woman" since just before you emphasized that she felt too young to marry. I like the description of her eyes. "Elegant" would work better I feel to describe her movements.

"She held herself elegantly."

The description of her dress seemed unnecessary. If you do want to describe her outfit, I would wait until the ball. The addition of the locket is really nice. I'm excited to find out more. I would replace "necklace" with "chain" to avoid saying neck twice in a row. I would also make it into one sentence.

"around her neck was a thin chain with a locket at the end, given to her by her father when she was little."

Since this review is already getting a bit lengthy, I'll keep my other nitpickings to myself for now. :P Keep up the good work! I'll be anxiously waiting for your next chapter!

RubyRed says...

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! All your tips are very much appreciated and helpful. I will notify you when the next chapter is up.

AnarchyWolf wrote a review...

Hey, Keepwriting. Anarchywolf here for a quick review :)

First of all, what I liked and what was good about your work. A lot of people make the dialogue modern, or modern-ish, when writing medieval stories - but you didn't. The dialogue reads as upper-class and archaic, which is fitting for the characters you've introduced. The fact that you don't use contractions in the speech is a major factor in this.

Secondly, what you could improve. I feel as if your main character could be heading into Mary Sue territory. Be sure to give her flaws, or the reader'll get ticked off at her perfection and won't see her as a 'good', 'likeable', or 'relatable' character.

In addition, show, don't tell. Rather than saying that she thought of marriage like a prison, tell. Go from

"She saw marriage as a sort of prison"

to

"the thought of marriage reminded her of a captured bird"

(cliched, I know)

or

"the idea of marriage bought to mind images of caged lionesses"

(yeah. I know you can do better than I did.)

This applies to all of the instances where you've told the reader what Rachel was thinking or feeling, rather than showing. Showing can be done through things like body language, not just metaphors.

Don't go too in-depth about her appearance. Most readers won't care at the beginning - and it's much more fun if you 'sprinkle' clues throughout the book, or just drop little descriptions throughout the chapter.

In conclusion, it's a promising chapter. It's been written well with the era in mind, but there needs to be just a smidge more showing vs telling.

Hope I helped a little.

-AnarchyWolf

RubyRed says...

Thank you for your time. Rachael shows her flaws in the next chapter and becomes more relatable. Don't forget to click the "like" button if you enjoyed it! :D

Il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux (One must imagine Sisyphus happy).
— Albert Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus