Simulacrum

by Rubric

Hey this is largely inspired by the monster's narrative in Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. I'm rapidly developing the idea of having it as the beginning of a mildly dystopian fantasy world, replacing science with magic as the monster's catalyst. This passage is largely about the first few moment's of a new life, the juxtoposition of adult body and unused senses: so I really have no Idea what I'm doing......

“Simulacrum nosrenu pes reannes fritol raeveren”

A sensation of light. A sudden exposure to colours and shades and the ability to experience one’s surroundings; this is what first struck me. Shapes were indistinct, sounds and smells were nothing more than phantasms; ungraspable and unrecognised.

A sense of self, of physical presence, echoed moments later by a feeling of restraint and binding. Spirals of awareness worked their way up carved legs, down wrought arms. Instinctive movement warred with an impression of ancient disuse, only moments old.

In a single moment, I became a self. I saw through eyes and sensed through body. My vision was dominated by a figure, intoning loudly and quickly. His robes were of the colour of the stones on which I stood, his feet were clad in the shade of my bindings. The figure’s head was dominated by the colour of the illuminative source in the otherwise darkened room.

Those bindings; unnatural and yet ever-present, held before my struggling limbs. The sounds this man was making became louder, his gesticulations more aggressive and erratic. For an instant I felt cowed, before beginning my struggles anew. The movement was uncomfortable, but the desire for freedom, the very idea of which I could barely fathom, overrode it. This world of mine: these bindings, this man, his voice, and the dimly lit room, seemed both insignificant and all-consuming.

The material that tied me to the surface at my back gave way. The voice grew terrified, and its man flung himself to the floor and out of my view. All around me was clutter and dim light, but to the side of this prison lay a plane of darkness. I shambled toward it.

The control of my limbs was unsophisticated and untried, but as I traced my fingers along the cool, clear surface, I could already feel my faculties being brought into line. The man was behind me again, spitting words without meaning, but he drew no attention from me. My fingers were drawn into a fist and hurled against the unmarred plane, to cacophonous results.

The view without was ineffable in size and liberating in darkness. The dimly lit confines at my back were my first experience of being, and I found them not to my liking. There was something reassuring in this unknown darkness, this unspoken promise to my yearning senses.

I stepped from the window and fell into the night.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:29 pm
Phaix wrote a review...

Hey Rubric, nice going here, this is really really good. Once again I have to comment on your amazing writing style, you have serious talent. Dont ever stop writing!

I couldn't really see anything that hadnt already been picked up by your previous reviews, except for one thing;

Instinctive movement warred with an impression of ancient disuse, only moments old.

In a single moment, I became a self.

This is probably me being very picky and annoying, but the repetition of 'moment' made the sentence a little jarred.

Maybe it would be better to say; "I became a self. In a single moment, I saw through eyes and sensed through body." Something like that anyway.

Other than that this is great, you have talent pouring out of your ears :)

Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:41 pm
scasha wrote a review...

Hey Rubric! Thought I should check this out.
Here's my crit key:
Red = Comments
Bold = Words I've inserted that I think could work better
Blue = if I don't feel like using red.
Anyway, here we go!

Rubric wrote:Hey this is largely inspired by the monster's narrative in Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. I'm rapidly developing the idea of having it as the beginning of a mildly dystopian fantasy world, replacing science with magic as the monster's catalyst. This passage is largely about the first few moment's of a new life, the juxtoposition of adult body and unused senses: so I really have no Idea what I'm doing......

A sensation of light.The [s]A[/s] sudden exposure to colours and shades and the I inserted the other the for parallelism ability to experience one’s surroundings; this is what first struck me. Shapes were indistinct, sounds and smells were nothing more than phantasms; ungraspable and unrecogniseable[s]d[/s]. Again, parallelism

A sense of self, of physical presence, echoed moments later by a feeling of restraint and binding. Spirals of awareness worked their way up carved legs, down wrought arms. Instinctive movement warred with an impression of ancient disuse, only moments old. Okay, so first you say one, then you say I, and then you're back to the narrating voice. For starters I would take out any reference to yourself as being present until the next paragraph because your MC doesn't seem to realize the stuff he is talking about is happening to himself (if that makes any sense). Group together the stuff that say "A sense of" and stuff like it and then the next part you can start using I. I'll put what I think it should look like below in italics:

A sensation of light. Shapes were indistinct, sounds and smells were nothing more than phantasms; ungraspable and unrecogniseable. A sense of self, of physical presence, echoed moments later by a feeling of restraint and binding. Sprials of awareness worked their way up carved legs, down wrought arms. Instinctive movements warred with an impression of ancient disus, only moments old. Then go into the next paragraph. I think it would be much stronger this way.

In a single moment, I became a self. I saw through eyes and sensed through body. My vision was dominated by a figure, intoning loudly and quickly. His robes were of the colour of the stones on which I stood, his feet [s]were[/s] clad in the shade of my bindings. The figure’s head was find another word You are repeating dominated from the previous sentence [s]dominated[/s] by the colour of the illuminative source in the otherwise darkened room.

Those bindings; unnatural and yet ever-present, held [s]before[/s] my struggling limbs. The sounds this man made [s]was making [/s]became louder, his gesticulations more aggressive and erratic. For an instant I felt cowed, before beginning my struggles anew. The movement was uncomfortable, but the desire for freedom, the very idea [s]of[/s] which I could barely fathom, overrode it. This world of mine: these bindings, this man, his voice, and the dimly lit room, seemed both insignificant and all-consuming.

The material that tied me to the surface at my back gave way. The voice grew terrified, and its owner [s]man[/s] flung himself to the floor and out of my view. All around me was clutter [s]and dim light[/s], but to the side of this prison lay a plane of darkness. I shambled toward it.

The control of my limbs was unsophisticated and untried, but as I traced my fingers along the cool, clear surface, I could already feel my faculties being brought into line. The man was behind me again, spitting words without meaning, but he drew no attention from me. My fingers were drawn into a fist and hurled against the unmarred plane, to cacophonous results. I'm confused what he's doing. Is he hitting the wall?? be more specific of what plane he is flinging his fists against.

Wow! Just Wow! This was amazing! It was beautifully written, poetic, disturbing and enthralling! Great job. I think you could use a stronger beginning (I tried to help as best I could). Also, watch out for the passive voice. For example don't use was making, instead use made (just a random example). Other than that, good work! If you have any questions, PM me!

Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:55 pm
kris wrote a review...

Wow. You certainly have a knack for poetic description. It was all very, very visceral.
It must have been hard, to describe something that is totally alien to you...Well, of course you must have experienced it but nobody can recall their first moments.

The narration was extremely well crafted, and it really drew me in. The scene was all encompassing - you didn't miss a trick in this passage. I got a total and complete insight into what your character was thinking, and feeling.

I only wish there was more of this, for me to read... Will there me more chapters?

I'm sorry I couldn't give you more critique...But there wasn't really anything wrong with it, as far as I could see.

Love
Kris

Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:44 pm
Layleun wrote a review...

Hmm. Very good I'd say. Your unique style of writing makes this piece awesome. The whole sensory overload described in a few paragraphs ^.^ I found a few things that I think were a bit off so this is what I think!

A sensation of light. A sudden exposure to colours and shades and the ability to experience one’s surroundings; this is what first struck me.

A sensation of light, a sudden exposure to colours and shades and the ability to experience one’s surroundings. This is what first struck me.

A sense of self, of physical presence, echoed moments later by a feeling of restraint and binding.

A sense of self, of a physical presence, echoed moments later by a feeling of restraint and binding.

In a single moment, I became a self.

In a single moment I became a self. ((No comma me thinks))

This world of mine: these bindings, this man, his voice, and the dimly lit room, seemed both insignificant and all-consuming.

I'm not sure whether or not a colon should be used here. You list things but continue the sentence. So ask someone about that or ignore this if you know it should be there =P I'm not so good with grammar.

Alrighty. I'm not the best critiquer around but I hope maybe this helped a bit. Your style of writing is brilliant and I found myself glued to the story. The shortness of it was good and seemed to add something to the story. I'd work on the title. It's almost like it does fit but then again it doesn't. Awesome! ^.^

~Lupe

I have my books and my poetry to protect me.
— Paul Simon