Home » Literary works » Short Story » Realistic

12+

Trust me...

by RowanLocke

I’ve always had trust issues. I just bottled stuff up. It was better that way- for everyone. I didn’t want anyone to worry about me. My problems were my own and I didn’t see why I should bother anyone else with them. The only person I was only open with was my brother. I could tell him anything and I knew it was safe. I was never really sure if he listened or not, sometimes he’d just nod and give me a hug, but it felt better to get things off my chest.

I don’t know why he did it. He always listened to me, but I guess I never returned the favour. I just assumed he’d talk if he needed to. Looking back at it now it seemed obvious that something was wrong. It’s like when you do a test in class and have no idea what the answers are, but when you get it back you see you made some really stupid mistakes.

He wrote me a letter. It told me to talk more and tell my friends what was going on in my life. He said there were lots of people who would be there for me. At first I was angry. It seemed hypocritical of him to say that, when he didn’t seek any help. But over time I understood. He didn’t want me to end up like him. Hanging from the branches of the apple tree at the bottom of the garden. His tie around his neck. All I have to do is talk. That’s what he said. That’s what my therapist says. It’s not that easy. The only person I trusted has gone. I’ve always had trust issues.

rwgbookwriter wrote a review...

I can relate to having trust issues. I feel like I've been let down too much and there's only certain people who I can fully trust with my confessions. I also liked the part about your brother. I love my brother so much, always craving for his approval. It feels nice when he listens and agrees with me; which isn't too often. I always pictured us with a happy relationship, being open with each other and everything, but unfortunately, we argue a lot and have very different point of views on things.

"I don’t know why he did it. He always listened to me, but I guess I never returned the favour. I just assumed he’d talk if he needed to. Looking back at it now it seemed obvious that something was wrong. It’s like when you do a test in class and have no idea what the answers are, but when you get it back you see you made some really stupid mistakes."

Swiftfur wrote a review...

I loved this short story.
It was so, how can I say, eerie, in a way, even a bit spooky.
Some people have had things happen to them where friends have turned their back on them, such as the spy books about the girls school for spies. Some of the titles are, Cross My Heart And Hope To Spy, I'd Tell You That I love you, But Then I'd Have To Kill You, you know.

Anyways, some people will say that you can never trust anyone, but that's not true. Even in the spy books, the girl had some people she could trust. Her mom,for instance.

Anyway, great story,lots of good descriptive language.
Write on, ~Swiftfur

swissgirl wrote a review...

I love that this little story starts and ends with the same sentence, it rounds everything up very well. I also like how you use lots of short, simple sentences, it makes everything clear without using too many words. In the middle of the first paragraph, there's something I would correct though, there's two onlys in one sentence, and I think you only need one. Apart from that it's written pretty well in my opinion, the only other Thing that confused me a little at first was that there's not more information about the characters. And don't forget, never stop writing!

MissCaroline says...

"I’ve always had trust issues. I just bottled stuff up. It was better that way- for everyone. I didn’t want anyone to worry about me. My problems were my own and I didn’t see why I should bother anyone else with them. The only person I was only open with was my brother. I could tell him anything and I knew it was safe. I was never really sure if he listened or not, sometimes he’d just nod and give me a hug, but it felt better to get things off my chest."
~~~
I can relate to having trust issues. I feel like I've been let down too much and there's only certain people who I can fully trust with my confessions. I also liked the part about your brother. I love my brother so much, always craving for his approval. It feels nice when he listens and agrees with me; which isn't too often. I always pictured us with a happy relationship, being open with each other and everything, but unfortunately, we argue a lot and have very different point of views on things. :(

~~~

I can connect to this very well. You always expect someone you're close with to tell you what's on their minds, but sometimes it's you who has to do the prying. I can count on one hand with how many times my brother was moderately open with me. He masks his emotions very well.

"He wrote me a letter. It told me to talk more and tell my friends what was going on in my life. He said there were lots of people who would be there for me. At first I was angry. It seemed hypocritical of him to say that, when he didn’t seek any help. But over time I understood. He didn’t want me to end up like him. Hanging from the branches of the apple tree at the bottom of the garden. His tie around his neck. All I have to do is talk. That’s what he said. That’s what my therapist says. It’s not that easy. The only person I trusted has gone. I’ve always had trust issues."
~~~

This was filled with so much emotion! I started to feel sadness when I read this because I've always had this fear that one time, my brother isn't going to talk to anyone. He'll bottle up his emotions until he cracks. It's horrible to imagine. This was a great piece. I enjoyed reading it. I am curious to know. Was this a true story? If it was, I'm sorry for your loss. I can't even begin to think about the sadness in me if I lost my brother.

RowanLocke says...

yes my brother is dead but it wasn't like that at all. There was this semi suicidal guy who I used be friends with (but no longer, for the story of that read Luke work.php?id=96442 ) and i guess it was a combination of those situations and I just felt like doing some writing and that's what came into my head :P

Every time our next guest is here, all of our lives are seriously in danger.
— David Letterman