In The Peculiar Stone House

by Rose

With a swift movement, the handle of the damp wooden door clicked open with a screeching sound, faint but audible. The sound echoed in the peculiar stone house.

A shadowy figure stood in the doorway for a moment, silently scanning the dark living room. While not marked by brown stains or bilious yellow spots, it clung to an foggy atmosphere, resisting the label of tidiness.

Heavy boots of the intruder stepped on the cold, spotty tiles of the floor while leaving grimy trails of slimy mud in the house. The wooden door slammed shut with an oppressive thud. And two wall lights suddenly flickered on, casting a strange sensation across the small kitchen which was forcefully shoved into the living room.

An unusual warmth from a stone oven hung over the miniscule kitchen. Without another glance at the stone oven, the figure climbed the immaculately clean but shaded stairs.

Once upstairs, the damp door opened abruptly with a creak of the handle. The intruder stood frozen like an effigy, silently listening to the sounds that unconsciously revealed the actions of the person below.

Small, subtle footsteps echoed into the kitchen. Just as a whisper above the figure's stiff breathing, the sound of hands fiddling with towels filled the kitchen.

The lingering scent of burning wood from the stone oven wafted through the air, creating an unsettling, smoky sensation.

In a moment, the wooden door of the house opened again and the footsteps left the house. The shadowy figure came quietly down the stairs and looked around with narrowed eyes.

On the bone-chilling kitchen counter, a glass bowl concealed a pastry, wrapped in thick tea towels to preserve its warmth.

Looking around mischievously, he slowly tiptoed away with the pie.

// 

Author's note:

This is a quick one I wrote, originally inspired by my novella-in-progress (see my 24in24 forum for more details), but the story stands on its own.

For reviewers; did you get the end of the story? Was the contrast between the previous paragraphs and the last sentence big enough to create the humorous effect I was going for?

~Thank you for reading!~

//

thart12 wrote a review...

Hey,

I did like the humorous contrast of the story. This probably explains why the story is so adjective and adverb heavy. But like the first reviewer, I would also suggest varying sentence length a bit. I think you can still build the same (if not better suspense) with some short and choppy sentences. That said, you have a good command of language and a wide vocabulary. I enjoyed this funny bit of flash fiction. Good work :)

Rose says...

thank you for the review!

Hey Rose,

I'm easing myself back into reviewing after the festive period so thought I would pop by for a quick review on this one today.

I really like the description you use in this excerpt. It's very easy to get lost in, and to picture the setting with a lot of the detail. I really love the way you built up the in depth, somewhat tense, atmosphere and then subverted expectations by making it about someone stealing a pie!

To improve, I would consider mixing up your sentence length a bit. Most of these sentences are pretty long and full of commas and it makes it a bit laborious to read by the time you get near the end. The occasional shorter sentence would help to keep it interesting and move the pace along.

Overall an enjoyable read - I'll definitely check out your 24in24 thread to see what you're working on that relates to this!

Hope this was helpful.

Icy

Rose says...

Appreciate the review, Icy! I may have over-edited some of the paragraphs to create a good contrast ... so thanks for the feedback!

Teach a man to fish, he eats for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, you eat for a day. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.
— Ron Swanson (Parks and Rec)